PDA

View Full Version : MetallicA to Special Guest for the Rolling Stones

a007apl
08-05-2005, 01:16 AM
After taking three weeks off (!?) we thought it might be fun to play a few small intimate gigs (Kimo's, anyone??) so we called up our close personal friends, the Rolling Stones, to see what they were up to . . . turns out that they are doing a stadium tour of North America!

Nah - seriously . . . last week we were honored to receive an invitation from the Stones to share the stage with them in our home town. After having the thrill of playing with some of our personal heroes such as AC/DC, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden and Ozzy, how could we say "no" to the quintessential rock band, who are in some way responsible for all of this?

These two shows are about nothing other than having fun and playing music . . . nothing to sell, nothing to promote, nothing to talk about . . . no fuckin' agenda at all. Simply put, this is the reason we started a band 25 or so years ago, and we are psyched and appreciative of this awesome opportunity to get cracking again...

Tickets for November 13th are already sold out, but tickets are still available for the November 15th show. (click here for tickets). If you are a member of The Metallica Club, check the Metclub.com website to find out how you can purchase a special allocation of tickets, selected just for Clubbers!

Here's the full press release for the rest of the masses:

METALLICA TO SPECIAL GUEST FOR THE ROLLING STONES IN SAN FRANCISCO ON NOVEMBER 13TH AND 15TH AT SBC PARK
NEW YORK, NY - (August 2nd, 2005)

Metallica will be the special guest for the Rolling Stones as part of their "A Bigger Bang" World tour at SBC Park in San Francisco on November 13th and 15th. An additional opening act will be announced shortly with times for both concerts being moved up an hour to 6pm PST. Metallica joins a diverse list of top opening acts, including the Black Eyed Peas, Maroon 5, Pearl Jam, John Mayer Trio, Les Trois Accords, The Tragically Hip, Our Lady Peace, Trey Anastasio, Joss Stone and Beck.

"Over the course of our career we've been fortunate enough to share the stage with a select few of the bands we grew up on, admired and respected including AC/DC, Deep Purple, Guns N' Roses and Iron Maiden. The only band that we have never played with but have always wanted to is The Rolling Stones," says Metallica's drummer Lars Ulrich.

"Having the opportunity to play with them this November in our hometown of San Francisco is both an honor and a privilege. And it's bound to be a lot of fuckin' fun especially since we haven't special guested since 1992! These shows will enable us to recharge our batteries, both creatively and physically, as we prepare for the next phase of Metallica."

Tickets for The Rolling Stones at SBC Park on November 13th are sold out. Tickets for the November 15th performance are on sale now at BGP.com, Ticketmaster.com and at all Ticketmaster outlets including Tower Records, Wherehouse Music, Ritmo Latino, select Save Mart and select FYE stores, and Tix Bay Area in Union Square. To charge tickets by phone, call (415) 421-TIXS, (408) 998-TIXS, (510) 444-TIXS, (209) 485-TIXS or (707) 528-TIXS.

The U.S. leg of the "A Bigger Bang" World Tour is presented by Ameriquest Mortgage Company. Rolling Stones World tour 2005/2006 will be presented by Concert Productions International and produced by WPC Piecemeal Inc.

possessed_beaver
08-20-2005, 10:30 AM
i saw this very exiting news!!!
i hope there will be some video footage of the event, i cannot wait!

there is a rumor they will also be playing some european dates!

graywolf624
08-20-2005, 10:56 AM
I don't know whos career has tanked worse.. Kinda fitting that 2 bands that havent produced new albums in quite a while that anyone likes team up.

possessed_beaver
08-21-2005, 09:54 AM
but Metallica does it for the love of music... the stones IMO are just cocky old men who just rely care about the money at the end of the day..
metallica do it for there fans...

graywolf624
08-21-2005, 10:34 AM
but Metallica does it for the love of music... the stones IMO are just cocky old men who just rely care about the money at the end of the day..
metallica do it for there fans...

hahahahahahahahah....Sorry.. thats rich.

I guess trying to take down napster and switching from metal, to pop, to complete shit was all done in the name of the fans. I loved their original albums, but I'm sorry they sold out long ago. Hetfields dyed hair is just further proof.

As for the stones.. same deal.. They just resemble skelletons more then people when on stage.

|Nuno|
08-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Hetfields dyed hair is just further proof.

But this is even richer... :lol:

graywolf624
08-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Well really.. He looks like a 40 year old trying to play a 20 year old on tv.

possessed_beaver
08-22-2005, 10:38 AM
so they should not tour and make music, that would make you happy?

umm.. i would not rely be to happy with that!

bmagni
08-22-2005, 02:37 PM
I don't know whos career has tanked worse.. Kinda fitting that 2 bands that havent produced new albums in quite a while that anyone likes team up.

defiinetly metallicas, the stones have always been important, their last tours have the record of selling out tickets in the least time ever.

their new albums have been really great, 40 licks had their best songs, but it also included new songs, great songs.
comparing metallica to the stones is just giving metallica toomuch credit, theyre not that big and theyre fucked up.

im not a big metallica fan, but sure is good publicity for them to be with the stones in san francisco. their last albums didnt sell that good, and theyre going down.

i dont know if any of you have been to a concert of the stones but it surely is one of the best ones ive seen.

As for the stones.. same deal.. They just resemble skelletons more then people when on stage.

same deal like metallica ? I dont think so.
have u heard the new songs ??? its the only band that IMO keeps their roots, their style has been the same always...
have u been to a concert of them ??? they might look old but they put a lot of energy in the concerts

pharzo
08-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Forty licks was a greatest hits record. With 4 new songs. That's a B side, not a new album

Metallica "isn't that big" ?

I'm sorry. where have you been the last 22 years?

St. Anger didn't "tank" by the way

They won a grammy for that album. Well for the performance of it anyway. It also rode the charts at #1 for a while. The Stones released that B side so they could go on tour again. Metallica is a collosus. The Stones are over the hill.

bmagni
08-22-2005, 03:01 PM
Forty licks was a greatest hits record. With 4 new songs. That's a B side, not a new album

Metallica "isn't that big" ?

I'm sorry. where have you been the last 22 years?

St. Anger didn't "tank" by the way

They won a grammy for that album. Well for the performance of it anyway. It also rode the charts at #1 for a while. The Stones released that B side so they could go on tour again. Metallica is a collosus. The Stones are over the hill.

the last 10 years IMO have beed metallicrap, nothing to do with the old metallica.

and who cares about grammys ?? not me, its like the oscars, you just have to convince the academy and do as they say so, just a bunch of political crap. the stones have been out of the grammy cause theyve always wrote songs aqainst the established, thats what rock n roll is, the grammys have always supported one hit wonders and pop idols.

and yeah 40 licks was a b side, but unlike metallica, the stone's new albums are compared to their old ones in quality

|Nuno|
08-22-2005, 03:28 PM
the last 10 years IMO have beed metallicrap, nothing to do with the old metallica.

Fine, that's your opinion (I didn't like St. Anger that much too). But the changes that happened in these 10 years are what makes me proud of being a Metallica fan. Why? Because they took chances. They evolved, tried different things. I mean, wouldn't it be a lot easier for them to simply make the same music all over again...? That's why I don't get when people call them "sell-outs" - it's not like they need to be sell-outs anyway, they probably already have more money than what they can spend...

And St. Anger is just further proof (not that it was needed). It's a raw, unpolished album, and deffinitely not radio friendly. If they wanted to make money, they would release something more polished or soft, wouldn't you say?

But whatever, I don't know why I still bother with these things. I bet most people who say the only like the "old Metallica" say it just because... Doubt they ever took the time to listen to the Loads and stuff. I guess they wouldn't get bashed if they kept re-doing 'Master Of Puppets' and would be considered "real Metal"... :roll: Oh well.

Ah, and just for your information, the "Madly in Anger With The World Tour" was among the top 3 most profitable tours last year. :wink:

Well really.. He looks like a 40 year old trying to play a 20 year old on tv.

Personaly, I don't care how he looks or doesn't look on TV. But that's just me. And what do the looks or hair styles have to do with anything in the first place?

bmagni
08-22-2005, 03:41 PM
/\/\ i did hear the loads, and reload was good indeed, and then garge inc that had a couple of good ones, but thats it...

|Nuno|
08-22-2005, 03:58 PM
/\/\ i did hear the loads, and reload was good indeed, and then garge inc that had a couple of good ones, but thats it...

The comment wasn't directed specificaly to you by the way, but it's just something that happens quite a lot, and boy it's annoying...

graywolf624
08-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Load and reload are complete crap.. Its pop music not metal.. And yes Ive heard them, I bought the cd of load by accident long ago and reload was on the radio constantly. They both suck and arent metal.. Metallica even admited as such saying that st anger was a return to their roots. Too bad it came off sounding like a 3 year old playing on a drum and another one riding the wa-wa peddle. Removing the studio from the track doesnt mean they are getting back to original, it just shows how far theyve really fallen.

And yes they could have put out music like they use too.. Maiden, for example, has been doing it for a hell of alot longer then metallica even attempted. Yet again, sell outs.. Doesn't help my opinion of them that they helped shut down napster either.

their new albums have been really great, 40 licks had their best songs, but it also included new songs, great songs.
Name a single song from the last album before that best of that cashed in on former success.. And give a date while your at it.

bmagni
08-22-2005, 06:26 PM
/\/\ in 40 licks "don't stop" was a success. before 40 licks was no security, that had mostly new songs played in the bridges to babylon tour. from bridges to babylon (1997), "anybody seen my baby" and "saint of me" were really great hits, "anybody seen my baby" is in 40 licks, so are "you got me rockin" and "love is strong" from the previpus album "voodoo lounge" (1994) and both discs are considered to be among the best of them, its the quality of the discs, not the quantity... read the reviews...
and "a bigger bang" is coming soon, if you like rock n roll i suggest you to buy it, u can download 3 songs at itunes or listen 4 of them at rollingstones.com...

graywolf624
08-22-2005, 06:32 PM
What quantifies big success? Your the only person Ive ever met who still listens to them.

graywolf624
08-22-2005, 06:35 PM
"Bridges to Babylon," "Voodoo Lounge" and "Steel Wheels" were not huge successes.

Bridges to Babylon," the Stones' last studio album, hangs around No. 36,000 on Amazon.com.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,163308,00.html

I wouldnt call that a success.. I'd call it at best an also ran.

bmagni
08-22-2005, 06:45 PM
What quantifies big success? Your the only person Ive ever met who still listens to them.

thats why they have the 1st and 2nd all time records of selling out their tour tickets in the least time, this being the licks tour (2002) and the a bigger bang tour(2005)... ohh and thats also maybe the reason metallica wanted to join them in their tour, or maybe the stones thought they could sell more if they invited metallica. yeah right

"Bridges to Babylon," "Voodoo Lounge" and "Steel Wheels" were not huge successes.

Bridges to Babylon," the Stones' last studio album, hangs around No. 36,000 on Amazon.com.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,163308,00.html

I wouldnt call that a success.. I'd call it at best an also ran.

i didnt say they were hits listened by everyone... but the critics about the discs are really good... you should listen to them.

graywolf624
08-22-2005, 06:48 PM
Point a just brings me back to hasbeens resting on old laurels in a downward spiral.

Part b.. I couldnt care less what critics say, or even the buying public, but the last album of thiers I heard(the one from 97) I thought was a huge suck up to the britney spears crowd.

bmagni
08-22-2005, 07:07 PM
Point a just brings me back to hasbeens resting on old laurels in a downward spiral.

Part b.. I couldnt care less what critics say, or even the buying public, but the last album of thiers I heard(the one from 97) I thought was a huge suck up to the britney spears crowd.

you dont care what crtics say and you care what amazon says... right
ohh and "bridges to babylon" is #3,839 in amazon
and their "best" album "sticky fingers" is #391
and their new album "a bigger bang" is #7 and it hasnt even been released ;)
theyre a 40 yo band and they sell more than most of the new ones...
we all got different music tastes, but if you lare a die hard fanboy of "metal" or the super famous new hit fashionable "punk" then most likely you wont like the stones and think its a suck up for pop crowd.