PDA

View Full Version : 51st State (Formula 51) Question!

astonmartinandy
08-02-2005, 03:01 AM
I really hope somebody knows the answer to this because it has been getting to me for days;

After Sam L Jackson goes to England and manages to sell his new drug, he offers an explanation for why the drug is so good, and reveals there are no intoxicating subtances in the drug whatsoever. The only reason the drug works is because of the hype and the fact that people want to believe they are having the best high of their life..

He then uses a word to describe this phenomenon; i.e. nothing actually happening, but you believe that there is because of suggestion and surroundings. This way the drug manages to be best experience of your life - all things to all men.

Does anybody remember/know the word he uses to describe such a feeling or effect?? It sounds trivial but it's one of those things that has just been bugging me since a discussion around a couple of pints!

(Moderators) I hope you don't mind this topic being about drugs in a round about way! :wink:

zondaland
08-02-2005, 06:14 AM
It sounds as though you are describing a placebo effect, although I have never heard this story before. Hope that helps.

Mers
08-02-2005, 10:47 AM
I think it was Placebo

astonmartinandy
08-03-2005, 04:22 AM
Thanks very much guys - it was just one of those damn words I kept wanting to use in arguments on how you assume something is better than it actually is simply because of all the hype and reuptation surrounding it.. :)

pharzo
08-04-2005, 12:57 AM
The placebo effect is really interesting thing. In many ways it shows that minor sicknesses and pains can be controlled with your own mind. It is like there is a system ready to make things right, but you have just forgotten where the system is hidden.

Which is why most medicines have to be proven to work beyond the placebo effect...obviously not stuff like homeopathy