PDA

View Full Version : War of the Worlds

Max Power
06-30-2005, 12:38 AM
just saw it...thought it was pretty good, funny at times, hilarious at others ... when Tim Robbins makes his 1st appearance ... if I was to complain about something is that it was too vague

ARMAN
06-30-2005, 07:56 AM
Deffinitly gonna see this, Spilberg do nice movies. Just saw Letterman show with Cruise and it convinced me to see it 8)

a007apl
06-30-2005, 09:21 AM
http://www.waroftheworlds.com/

ARMAN
06-30-2005, 09:28 AM
this is good cruise and spilberg interveiewind each other http://movies.aol.com/feature/unscripted/war_of_the_worlds_movie_cruise_spielberg

TransAm
06-30-2005, 09:30 AM
I think there are a lot of 'remakes' at the moment - flight of the phoenix, now WOTW (although originally a radio show), however I think I'll still want to see this. As with most things, I'll wait for the DVD release as my wife will only half watch it so it's unfair to drag her to the cinema.

Toronto
07-02-2005, 07:28 PM
I think there are a lot of 'remakes' at the moment - flight of the phoenix, now WOTW (although originally a radio show), however I think I'll still want to see this. As with most things, I'll wait for the DVD release as my wife will only half watch it so it's unfair to drag her to the cinema.

I think Spilberg got his hands on a radio transript and wanted to make the movie then (around 15 years ago) but independence day just came up and it seemed like a bad move for him @ the time

gis
07-03-2005, 01:53 PM
just got back this minute from watching this,i enjoyed it a lot.thought it was great,but i did have just 1 problem,i personally thought to much was put into 2 hours.but other than that i thought it was great :D

Overmind
07-04-2005, 07:00 PM
and the way they were defeated blahhhhhhhhhhh
and the ending blahhhhhhhhh

It's an adaptation of the book and that is how it ended... humanity didn't stand a chance and survived the attack by pure luck.

now i know there was a tv show like this when i was younger, were they defeated the same way in the show??

If they held true to the novel then yes, it has ended the same way.

oh and, WHY WHY does every movie that has to do with aliens always have some crazy nut job that knows how to defeat them??

And by this you mean the Tim Robbins' character?

i wanted more background on the aliens.

what was the point of them pureeing the people and then spitting them out?? what were the vines from??

after i watched it i felt like those things went unanswered, i felt like they ran out of material, and i felt like they rushed it. all in the name of making money.

Well the movie tries to follow the line of Cruise's family exclusively. You do not no see more than they do and you also do not know more than they do :).

and how were the aliens defeated?? was it a chain reaction from the one that cruise used the gernades on??

No they simply got ill and died.. probably because of some of the Earth's viruses. The same virus was very likely also fatal to theirs "red weed" vegetation.

ARMAN
07-04-2005, 07:06 PM
@Overmind - you've seen it? Its good?

a007apl
07-04-2005, 09:08 PM
The Movie wait download in my DAP, I'll check and tel about after see that.

JiggaStyles09
07-05-2005, 12:38 AM
im sorry but i didnt like it at all. WARNING *SPOILERS* the movie just left itself with nowhere to go in the end. the ending was such garbage, maybe in the book it made more sense and the author had time to explain it. but come on, bacteria killed them, they can travel through lightning bolts but cant handle some bacteria? dont they know anything about the planet they are invading, i mean they were able to observe us for thousands of years right? i am no professional at exploring new planets, but usually when invading a new planet you dont just land a spaceship and get out to test the atmosphere, you do a bit of research about where you are going.

and what were the weird veins that covered everthing? i didnt remember that being explained. and why again to the shields go down in their "tripod" things when the pilot got sick? how were thousands of machines buried underground and nobody ever knew about them? i understand the idea of having only tom and his families POV, a cool idea but come on, im not asking for a scientific explanation of everything just give me a little bit more.

the acting in the movie wasnt too bad really, the problem to me was the story. oh well thats just my opinion of this movie.

Toronto
07-05-2005, 01:20 AM
they where observing, not testing :wink:
everything makes sense just need to get it I guess,
except for the fact the machines where under ground near major cities. how did they know people are going to live there in 1000's of years (well I guess then new water was a life source and peopel would live near water, ironic no?)

Overmind
07-05-2005, 06:03 AM
@Overmind - you've seen it? Its good?

Yes, I've seen it and I kinda liked it :). If I was to explain my impression of the movie, I would say it was hell of a ride. The picture goes on very fast and you have almost no time to think about what is happening.

the ending was such garbage, maybe in the book it made more sense and the author had time to explain it. but come on, bacteria killed them, they can travel through lightning bolts but cant handle some bacteria? dont they know anything about the planet they are invading, i mean they were able to observe us for thousands of years right? i am no professional at exploring new planets, but usually when invading a new planet you dont just land a spaceship and get out to test the atmosphere, you do a bit of research about where you are going.

that's what you get by filming an adaptation of a 1898 book, where the aliens were martians and the red weed was a vegetation growing on mars, that's why the Mars is red :).

i didnt remember that being explained. and why again to the shields go down in their "tripod" things when the pilot got sick?

tripods were biomechanical.

they where observing, not testing :wink:
everything makes sense just need to get it I guess,
except for the fact the machines where under ground near major cities. how did they know people are going to live there in 1000's of years (well I guess then new water was a life source and peopel would live near water, ironic no?)

well you happen to know that there were some tripods buried under the cities :) the others might have been elsewhere :).

And how about I give you some crazy explanation on the movie? :).

US (or whichever other) goverment run into a tripod buried under ground a couple of years before the invasion. It is of course were cept top secret. They analyze it's biomechanical structure and can't really make sense of it :), but it DOES look like some fighting machine (a potential threat) and therefore a special biological weapon is developed (trust me we humans do have tens of years of experience in this field). Once the attack has been launched the virus is released, the rest is a (movie) history.

JiggaStyles09
07-05-2005, 10:02 AM
hmmm, well Overmind, your explanations do make a bit more sense of the movie, however it sounds that it was much better off left as a novel rather than transformed into a summer movie "hit" starring everyones favorite star tom cruise :P

and i do like your idea for the ending that you gave here: :)

US (or whichever other) goverment run into a tripod buried under ground a couple of years before the invasion. It is of course were cept top secret. They analyze it's biomechanical structure and can't really make sense of it , but it DOES look like some fighting machine (a potential threat) and therefore a special biological weapon is developed (trust me we humans do have tens of years of experience in this field). Once the attack has been launched the virus is released, the rest is a (movie) history.

if they would have thrown that into the movie somewhere it would have helped out a lot. instead of just saying it was our bacteria, and seeing them dying off everywhere for no real reason, that was kinda weak. shit i would have preffered to see the extermination of the human race rather than the "we gave the aliens a cold" explanation lol :lol: :wink:

Mers
07-05-2005, 10:13 PM
Didn't like it all that much....
I felt it was too much propaganda, too much "family message", and no emphasis on the actual war, which is a shame, because the design was great....
Could have been less sentimental...

twboy1999
07-05-2005, 11:55 PM
if war of the world didnt have the piece of crap garabage ending i think it would be a decent film but not great... but this ending.. is totally just like what the fuck..... this has to be one of the stupidest ending in a movie....
the robots suddently just died because all the waters and shit are polulated and they cnat adapt...

TransAm
07-06-2005, 07:15 AM
Can we warn other readers of potential spoilers like this please?

***SPOILER***

Thanks!

Maybe this could be a JW Rule for the Movies section?

Overmind
07-06-2005, 08:04 AM
Can we warn other readers of potential spoilers like this please?

***SPOILER***

Thanks!

Maybe this could be a JW Rule for the Movies section?

sorry :(, I my self almost never read into a movie forum topic's before having seen the movie :(, but then on the other hand I also don't read reviews before going into theater ... I find it kinda hard to form a personal opinion after having read a review.

***SPOILER***
if war of the world didnt have the piece of crap garabage ending i think it would be a decent film but not great... but this ending.. is totally just like what the fuck..... this has to be one of the stupidest ending in a movie....
the robots suddently just died because all the waters and shit are polulated and they cnat adapt...

It's the whole point of the novel, god dammit! Humanity didn't stand a chance and was almost completely whiped out. We didn't win, we lost, there was absolutely nothing we could do to defeat the aliens. It were Earth's flora and fauna which in parallel with human's struggle were fighting their own battle against the invading alien's homeplanet's nature have won. If I remember it correctly in the book alien's red weed started dying out before the aliens themselfs.

TransAm
07-06-2005, 09:26 AM
^ good point about not coming into the thread in the first place I suppose. :oops:

pharzo
07-12-2005, 06:38 AM
Well i just saw the movie, and i really quite liked it. It was transposed to america, and not set in the UK as was written...but it doesn't really matter. ok

***SPOILERS***

I'm sorry, but if you didn't understand parts of this movie, such as the end, which was clearly narrated, perhaps you need to go watch movies of a lower intellectual caliber than a summer blockbuster :lol: :lol: :wink:

Now for some explaining...you have to keep in mind the book that this was based on was written over a 100 YEARS AGO. That's a really long time :!:

Now imagine this...the movie set in 1900. Starting to make more sense now...?

Doing this would have certainly made the movie better...but they didn't do it...so :bah:

The weed was some sort of fuel...biological feeding/message system. It started dying when the Martians started dying. It was explained in the narration that it was germs who killed them. You have to understand Wells was around at a time of scientific discovery, and supported Darwin's evolution. So this makes sense.

The people "eating" was exactly that...eating.

The only parts that sort of bothered was in the beginning when the little girl shouted "is it terrorists?"

People in the theatre seemed to think it was funny...i thought it was pretty sad...

**NO MORE SPOILERS**

I went to see this at 10 am on a tuesday...to avoid CROWDS. And what do i GET???

a theatre full of obnoxious kids...and people going to pee every 5 minutes... :bah:

Overmind
07-12-2005, 02:29 PM
I went to see this at 10 am on a tuesday...to avoid CROWDS. And what do i GET???

a theatre full of obnoxious kids...and people going to pee every 5 minutes... :bah:

My condolescences :(.

I don't really care for the crowds, but I can't possibly withstand the dickheads who can't eat their popcorn silently :( and let's also not forget these plastic lemonade caps with straws... sooner or later there is no fluid left and they hit the bottom of the cap, you all know what kind of sound that makes... :( and why does it takes them 4 to 5 tries to figure out there is no coke left? :cry:

And how about the retards with an extremly tiny brain who feel obligated to comment on every scene in the movie?

evoWalo
07-12-2005, 02:38 PM
SPOILER********

I've watched the original from the 50s and it is way better than Spielberg's film. For one thing it didnt bring up 9/11 and every thing else relating to the US' War on Terror. Another would be no whiney kids to contend with. I was about to walk out of the movie and ask for a refund because of how Cruise's onscreen kids were behaving. The way all those people act among themselves (selfish, greedy, selfserving, backstabbing) is very very realistic. There was none of those "pull together" and kick the alien butts mentality found in ID4.

No SPOILER********

Fantastic Four was way better film in my book. Havent watched batman yet so I cant tell if it is any better.

SFDMALEX
07-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Worst movie I have ever seen. I could not stand that little girl, the action never started, and my fuck it was just plain bad.

Dubai
07-13-2005, 11:58 AM
I can't understand...... Why Stevin Would direct such a movie! .. or did he?? :roll:

5vz-fe
07-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Worst movie I have ever seen. I could not stand that little girl, the action never started, and my fuck it was just plain bad.

I couldn't agree with you more. Alot of scenes in the movie doesn't make sense. Both the girl and the dude is annoying, at scenes, I really wish they die. The ending was superfast. The openning of the film where Cruise was playing "ohhhh I am so lucky ...woo..hoo....." was down rite funny.

*Spoliers*

They have the only working car, in the whole city, I couldn't believe ppl didn't try to take their car ealier. Are ppl really that goodie goodie?? His son hated him when they are seperated at one point, but love him at the end with no apperent reason..wtf is this?

3/10 IMO

evoWalo
07-14-2005, 11:51 AM
*Spoliers*

They have the only working car, in the whole city, I couldn't believe ppl didn't try to take their car ealier. Are ppl really that goodie goodie?? His son hated him when they are seperated at one point, but love him at the end with no apperent reason..wtf is this?

3/10 IMO
If they took the car earlier the movie would end 30 mins earlier. ;) Seriously though I think they didnt realize what was happening so werent that desperate yet to try to commit a crime.

Among all disaster (natural/man/aliens) this is the most realistic. It was a dog eat dog setup.

ARMAN
07-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Now I really wanna see it :mrgreen:

Overmind
07-14-2005, 06:56 PM
It's a fucking movie. Do you really go to the theatre and watch for mistakes. "Why didn't they take the car earlier....blah blah blah".

Fuck it, it's a good movie no matter what you all say.

I think the same... "mistakes" can be found in any movie, it only depends on how mindblowingly stupid they are :) and I personally didn't see any big ones in WOTW :).

gis
07-14-2005, 07:09 PM
I could not stand that little girl

LOL that was the first thing i mentioned when i got out,the continuous screaming ,i woudl have just handed her ass over to the dam aliens,they probably woudl have pissed off home after hearing the racket she kept making

Overmind
07-14-2005, 07:59 PM

LOL that was the first thing i mentioned when i got out,the continuous screaming ,i woudl have just handed her ass over to the dam aliens,they probably woudl have pissed off home after hearing the racket she kept making

Well aliens did get defeated by a dreadful sound in Mars attacks! for example ;).

Max Power
07-14-2005, 08:30 PM

she's prolly the best kid actor out there, anybody else would have been 100X worse

...as for the cars, if the car was turned of then it shouldn't be affected by the shock...whatever

corpse_grinder0
07-14-2005, 08:50 PM
I thought it was a good movie, although I thought the end didnt exist and it was wrapped up all too quickly.

And as for a nice funny little story.... they filmed parts of the movie 10 minutes from my house in the canyons, and at about 10pm, you can see lots of lights in the sky sort of like fireworks, so I go to my friends house, get his truck (im driving) and we go up to the entrence of the road where its comming from. There is a security guy checking ppls cars as they are going thru the fence, I deside fuck the security man, and fly thru the fence doing this mean drift kicking dirt at the guy, then we fly up the small dirt road going up this hill, and when we reach the top, I see lots of tanks, and pyro, and a rather large movie set. I see ppl pointint to us yelling, so I do a few donuts and then fly back down the hill, and onto the main road, and get out of there. Now keep in mind, this was about a year ago I think? cant realy remember too well. but the next night, same thing, but we went up in my car, and asked the security guy (who didnt recognize us) what movie was being filmed.. and he said, war of the worlds (this expains the WOW signs everywhere). and when I asked if it was an open set, so I can watch them film, he said no, steven spielburg and tom cruise were present, so it was a closed set. When I finally saw the scenes of the movie where the son got lost from the dad, I realized thats the set that we crashed that one night, oh the memories.