PDA

View Full Version : Audi’s supercar plans take shape

a007apl
06-19-2005, 01:26 AM
"It looks like a Lamborghini Gallardo, but beneath the wedgy bodywork caught testing at the Nürburgring is Audi’s road-going supercar, called Le Mans in honor of the company’s string of wins there. Codenamed AU714, the new two-seater will arrive in Germany late in 2006, prior to going on sale in North America at prices expected to compete with the Porsche 911. The Le Mans is based on the Gallardo. The two cars will share an aluminum space frame, steel floorpan, lightweight wiring loom, brake system and intricate double-wishbone suspension.

http://www.autoweek.com/files/weekart/2004/1206/spy_lemans.jpg
Audi’s Le Mans supercar test mule, based on the Lamborghini Gallardo and patterned after the Le Mans concept that claimed AutoWeek’s Best Concept award at the ’03 Frankfurt show.

However, Audi sources say new engines and a high-tech electromagnetic damping system will provide the Le Mans with a vastly different character than has the Gallardo. Audi’s harmoniously styled aluminum bodyshell will look similar to that seen on the well-received Le Mans concept shown at last year’s Frankfurt motor show.

Audi is working on two naturally aspirated engines. The show car had a 5.0-liter, 610-hp twin-turbo V10. Early models will more likely employ the company’s 4.2-liter V8 tuned to develop 425 hp. A new 5.2-liter V10 is also under development, with a target output of 520 hp, 100 more than a 911 Turbo.

Power will go to all four wheels via a second-generation DSG (double shift gearbox), re-engineered to handle the Le Mans’ high torque loads and provide quicker shifts. Audi is also preparing a new active damping system. Called Magnesport, it’s akin to the Magneride on GM’s Corvette, using electromagnetic impulses to continuously alter the viscosity of the oil in the dampers. This will provide a smoother ride than Gallardo, despite the Le Mans running on 20-inch wheels and tires."

TT
06-19-2005, 12:49 PM
See also the magazine scans section for the Audi R9 article ;)

Blip
06-19-2005, 05:29 PM
BTW, using a Lambo to develop an Audi is a sacrilege... Audi is destroying Lambo's reputation..... :cry:

I agree, they have nothing in common to be working together on development. It will affect the identity of both brands in an unpredictable way.

but at least they didn't use an Audi to develop a Lambo :)

Blip
06-20-2005, 06:41 AM
BTW, using a Lambo to develop an Audi is a sacrilege... Audi is destroying Lambo's reputation..... :cry:

I agree, they have nothing in common to be working together on development. It will affect the identity of both brands in an unpredictable way.

but at least they didn't use an Audi to develop a Lambo :)

First of all working together like Audi and Lambo does are great IMO.....

Audi have made the new Lambos better IMO, and even if they use the platform from the Gallardo to make the LeMans its engineers from Audi who have been involved in making both the Gallardo and the Murci....

They have maybe not used an Audi to develop a Lambo, but they use the Audi drive line the Audi compsystem and so on in the Gallardo`s... :wink:

The race Murci are made by Audi`s motorsport division and so on......Audi have made Lambo a better car, and I hope they continue their work...... :D

Just cuz Im curious why doesnt they have anything in common to develop cars together?

Lambo is owned by Audi, Audi have a better racing pedigree than Lambo from where I stand Lambo is the one who have the most to gain from the partnership......

I was a little unclear with my wording.

Audi is cartainly technologically superior and they've brought german engineering to an Italian car. I agree with you that Lambo has benefited from Audi. The new lambo's are better overall - better quality, easier driving etc...

What i mean by they have nothing in common, is that these two automakers have a different style of car. Audi is the elegant-technologically brilliant understated car, while Lambo is the raging Bull :D . Through Audi's help, the Murc has turned out to be a better car, but it has lost some of it's raging bull aspect. The diablo was a dragon on steroids, while the Murc is much more tame.

It depends on the driver. Many people like their supercar to be relatively easy and safe like the Murc, but others like their cars to be more edgy like the Diablo and F40.

Audi have certainly improved Lambos.
But much as I love Audi, I'm just a little worried they will affect the soul of Lamborghini. :wink:

RC45
06-20-2005, 12:14 PM
This new Audi will be boring, bland and far too clinical too be remembered.

They will sell a couple to rich Audi TT owners - but the car will not make a big impressions.

:P

Blip
06-20-2005, 03:43 PM
It depends on the driver. Many people like their supercar to be relatively easy and safe like the Murc, but others like their cars to be more edgy like the Diablo and F40.

Audi have certainly improved Lambos.
But much as I love Audi, I'm just a little worried they will affect the soul of Lamborghini. :wink:

Here we agree, I would also like Lambo to make a "all out, be all you can be car" a real monster, but at the end of the day the Murci aint slow compared to the Diablo either, its just possible to drive fast in for more people than a die hard car fanatic....

Another thing I want to add is the prototype R9 or LeMans had the V10 with twin turbo`s but since it became so fast that the Lambos couldnt touch it they decided to tone it down some as Lambo should be the fast alternative from the company.....but thats how it is Audi is holding back to let Lambo be the fastest..... :wink:

huh I didn't know that. Audi have outdone themselves. :D

A side question here if you don't mind.
Will the car be called R9 or "Le mans" ? If they call it R9 then they wouldn't be able to use it for the next Lemans racer (after the R8 ).
Also will the suspension system be similar to the one being developed by Bose, where electromagnetic motors raise and lower the wheel ? :hmm: