PDA

View Full Version : My new Viper, 2005 SRT/10 Custom Shots

955TT
06-13-2005, 02:06 PM
Picked up my new "toy" Friday night. This thing is a beast!!

Link to pics, and custom shots;

http://www.pbuzz.com/showalbum.php?sf=1&uuid=2213&aid=2355

TT
06-13-2005, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the custom shot and the nice and big pics. So, your impressions?

BTW, the E55 is no more, isn't it?

955TT
06-13-2005, 02:21 PM
It really is a blast to drive, lots of power. It really moves out, and feels faster (different kind of speed) than my E55. I am not too impressed with the handling though, seems to "jump" around the road at speeds, maybe because there are 275's up front? I am having them look at it today as well as another issue that occured yesterday.

I had a bit of a mishap last night. I have about 350 miles on it, and it had made a few "clunking" noises Friday, and Saturday from the rearend. Then Sunday, I was cruisin with my buddy, doin about 100mph or so in 4th gear and BANG, boom, boom, boom! The rear differential (I think) went out. Had to have roadside come put it on a flat bed, and take to the dealer.

It is being looked at right now. I am not too worried, it is covered under warranty of course, but I am a bit surprised it had this issue. Apparently, some of the guys on the Viper boards told me that this is a somewhat common occurence. Wierd actually. It should be ok though.

Overall, I am very pleased with the power, and maybe I just need to get used to the handling of it. I have never really driven anything like this before.

Looking forward to getting it back:)

T-Bird
06-13-2005, 02:51 PM
It's definitely not like any Mercedes or SUV you have to give the car the respect it deserves or it will kill you or atleast try to kill you and vipers try to kill people alot. You take a turn too quick or mess up in the turn and your going to hear about it. They are nice cars but from what I've heard they can be very tiring very quickly when you're driving since they are so stiff to shift. I've only ridden in a couple Vipers never had the pleasure to drive one.

955TT
06-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the custom shot and the nice and big pics. So, your impressions?

BTW, the E55 is no more, isn't it?

Sorry, missed your question about the E55, I kept is as my daily driver, the Viper gets stored at my buddies garage. Glad I kept it too, otherwise, I'd be in a rental this week:)

T-Bird, thanks for your reply, and advice. Yeah, it feels almost scary at times. It breaks loose faily easy.

Shinigami
06-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Nice car, black's a tough color to keep clean, but if I had that car, I wouldn't mind cleaning it every few days :p

Planning to keep it stock or will you push some more power out of it?

Wutputt
06-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Dang, another extremely hot car on JW. Very nice car, and I really like the colour. Does it really drives as brutal as it looks?

|Nuno|
06-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Congrats on the car, looks great in black. And hopefully the problems will be solved. :D

955TT
06-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Thanks for your compliments and replies.

Shinri-Shiogami, I will most likely keep it stock, for now anyway, and see if/when I get used to the power. It will be fun to keep clean, I'm used to the black paint at this point, not easy, but keep them all looking pretty good most of the time. It doesnt rain here too much so mostly daily dusting keeps them looking good.

Wutputt, Yes, it is a brutal beast!

ViperASR
06-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Man, awesome SRT-10. That was an awesome way to spend your money. Convery, V10, just hope u have the $$$ to pay for gas

davide
06-13-2005, 05:17 PM
One day I'll might be able to actually BUY a car... and one day maybe a dodge viper :) :) :) :)

ViperASR
06-13-2005, 05:39 PM
One day I'll might be able to actually BUY a car... and one day maybe a dodge viper :) :) :) :)

Me too, only it will be 20 years old, crashed once or twice, had the hell beaten out of it, and wont start......

SPEEDKILLAR
06-13-2005, 06:52 PM

I prefer the E55AMG 8)

That Viper is just the beginning of a lot of trouble and costs(I hope not)

T-Bird
06-13-2005, 07:23 PM

I prefer the E55AMG 8)

That Viper is just the beginning of a lot of trouble and costs(I hope not)

New tires and Gas are welcome Costs when running that kind of car. :wink:

SilviaEvo
06-13-2005, 07:28 PM
well when you have that kind of money i dont think youll worry that much on the tires and gas. 12/20 mpg. wow that thing GUZZLES!

955TT
06-13-2005, 08:04 PM
They are both fun cars, just in different ways. I am not sure what the 345/19's will cost, but prolly wont be replacing them anytime soon, I dont plan on driving this car more than a few thousand miles per year. Gas? Yes, we got about 150 miles on one tank, but I didnt buy it for the mpg:)

coloradosilver
06-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Any particular reason you decided to buy th eviper instead of waiting for the new Z06?

Not saying that one is better than the other, just wondering why you chose the way you did. Especially with that huge price difference and similar performance.

RC45
06-13-2005, 08:39 PM
They are both fun cars, just in different ways. I am not sure what the 345/19's will cost, but prolly wont be replacing them anytime soon, I dont plan on driving this car more than a few thousand miles per year. Gas? Yes, we got about 150 miles on one tank, but I didnt buy it for the mpg:)

Nice ride - but I don't know if you will ever truly get the feel for the car if you don't dirve it as often as you can :)

I know I really only got to "know" my Z06 after about 12,000 miles - and then the enjoyment went up 10 fold - at 60,000 miles I feel like the car is an extension of my mind.... ;)

:)

Good luck and enjoy your car as much as you can.

955TT
06-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Any particular reason you decided to buy th eviper instead of waiting for the new Z06?

Not saying that one is better than the other, just wondering why you chose the way you did. Especially with that huge price difference and similar performance.

I went for the "uniqueness" factor. I see about 10-15 Corvettes a day around here, not all C6's but quite a few of them as well. I think the Z06 will be less expensive, but from what I understand, nowhere near as many Vipers are made per year than there are Corvettes. I think it will be close between the two cars when they line up, the C6 weighs a bit less, but the Viper has about 50lbs of torque advantage. I cant launch this thing to save my life though, so I'd pretty much lose from a dig, a roll may be different though, at least until I learn to properly launch the beast:)

RC45, you make a good point, I definitely have some "getting used to" with this thing. I'll prolly drive it every other week, or once a month at the least. May take a while to get used to it and feel very comfortable. I want to find a "Viper experience" or some kind of driving school specifically pertaining to the Viper. I will be attending the SRT experience here in town, but you drive all the SRT cars/trucks, not just the Viper.

Yablokov
06-13-2005, 08:51 PM
wow nice viper. my bro is crazy about em :D

but for me... the mercedes is a beauuuuuuuuuutiful car!!!!! :shock:

T-Bird
06-13-2005, 08:52 PM
here you go try out Skip Barber...
http://www.skipbarber.com/drivingschool/default.asp?sel=

955TT
06-14-2005, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone, and the link to Skip Barber. I would like to go the that school. Gonna call them right now.

As far as the prognosis for my Viper so far is.....there are four dealerships accross the country that show in the computer that they stock the diffs. Whether or not they acutally have them, and/or if they would sell to my dealer at warranty cost is another story. They have classified my car as VOR (vehicle off road) which means it is a priority. The estimated timeframe is indefinite, and quite irritating. I hope they can pull a differential out of thier hats. I will be very dissapointed if it takes longer than a week:( They will give me an update later today......

Mopsdrops
06-15-2005, 06:34 AM
WOAW !!! Very nice cars you have 955TT, the viper looks very agressive and mean. Must be fun to ride them. The black color on the viper is a very very nice sight. My friend freaks out every time he see's a viper :D

955TT
06-15-2005, 11:51 AM
WOAW !!! Very nice cars you have 955TT, the viper looks very agressive and mean. Must be fun to ride them. The black color on the viper is a very very nice sight. My friend freaks out every time he see's a viper :D

Thanks, the black on the Viper is deep and rich. Waaaaay smoother than my E paint job. In fact, I dont think I have seen a nicer factory paint job. There are some swirl marks that need to be removed, but that's no big deal.

Well the latest on the diff is that it should be here today or tomorrow, and maybe ready to roll by Friday......I hope.

budagboy2
06-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Looking good...can we expect videos anytime soon?

955TT
06-15-2005, 12:52 PM

Maybe, I would like to get someone to drive my E, and race against me in the Viper, and have someone video it. Prolly lose to the E as I am not too good on the launch yet:(

Skaala
06-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Man, awesome SRT-10. That was an awesome way to spend your money. Convery, V10, just hope u have the $$$ to pay for gas

don't you pay like 2$ a gallon or something in the us? I pity the people who live outside the us. we pay $2 a litre. :?

955TT
06-15-2005, 01:43 PM
Yup, about $2.40-$2.50/gal. Not horrible at this point.

Skaala
06-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Another thing I've wondered about the viper, is how much room is it in the front? I'm 1,98m tall and there are very few cars that I feel comfortable in, but I noticed JC did'nt seem to be bothered, and he's a tall man to.

sentra_dude
06-15-2005, 03:20 PM

Maybe, I would like to get someone to drive my E, and race against me in the Viper, and have someone video it. Prolly lose to the E as I am not too good on the launch yet:(

Hmm, that sounds like a tough job...but I'd be up for it. :P :D

Great cars & pics, and good luck getting the Viper back on the road.

blah
06-15-2005, 08:09 PM
bring you E55 to cali, ill drive it for you. :P Is that Arizona you live in?

955TT
06-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Yup AZ it is, why not come here, and we'll find someone to video for us:)

955TT
06-15-2005, 08:43 PM
Another thing I've wondered about the viper, is how much room is it in the front? I'm 1,98m tall and there are very few cars that I feel comfortable in, but I noticed JC did'nt seem to be bothered, and he's a tall man to.

Once you get in it is fairly roomy. Adjustable peddals help. Only two seat (front/back, and recline) positions available though. I'm 5'10" and have to get in slowly as the roofline is very low. Not good for a daily driver for sure:) Plus, the lower side panels get very warm as the exhaust runs just underneath. If you are wearing short pants and dont know about it you will get burned. Sort of a built in "be careful entering and exiting" feature. Dual sided sword so to speak because I am particular when people drag thier feet getting in or out:)

Skaala
06-16-2005, 06:07 AM

Once you get in it is fairly roomy. Adjustable peddals help. Only two seat (front/back, and recline) positions available though. I'm 5'10" and have to get in slowly as the roofline is very low. Not good for a daily driver for sure:) Plus, the lower side panels get very warm as the exhaust runs just underneath. If you are wearing short pants and dont know about it you will get burned. Sort of a built in "be careful entering and exiting" feature. Dual sided sword so to speak because I am particular when people drag thier feet getting in or out:)

Maybe if I only enter with the roof down. =) Have you ever ridden in an old RT-10. It also had the side exhaust. Does anyone know if heat is a problem with that one too?

RC45
06-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Maybe if I only enter with the roof down. =) Have you ever ridden in an old RT-10. It also had the side exhaust. Does anyone know if heat is a problem with that one too?

Heat "problem" and Viper appear as synonyms in the dictionary. It's just one of the prices to be paid for the entire package.

Part of the ambience... ;)

PATo355
06-17-2005, 02:08 AM
That is a huge beast , i see you have a Cayenne TT too ... lovely car i see at least 1 here in Santiago is very popular , a lot more than 911

BTW i saw one o 4 911 GT2 today , sadly i was on a rush to the UNi , it was the ex marcos hites one , year 2002 i guess in fury red !!!

955TT
06-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Pato355, thanks, though I did sell the CTT last fall, I keep the photo in the album because it was a very sweet ride....

As far as the differential.....It is done. I cant believe they got a new one delivered and installed in 4 days! I picked up the beast yesterday after work, and took it to my buds house for storage. Probably take it out for fun next weekend. I cant wait:)

T-Bird
06-17-2005, 08:43 PM
wow it took 4 days to do a differential huh? that sucks balls I'm glafd I have the same rear end as Cobra's I can get the parts and change them all in about 5 without any problems maybe 8 if I encounter some problems. (It took me 3 to do my rear gears at school only because the instructor has to ok the whole process and other people kept coming over to check it out.)

CSedl87
06-18-2005, 05:05 PM
I'll have to keep my eyes out for your Viper...

dangerously_cool
06-19-2005, 05:34 AM
wow it took 4 days to do a differential huh? that sucks balls I'm glafd I have the same rear end as Cobra's I can get the parts and change them all in about 5 without any problems maybe 8 if I encounter some problems. (It took me 3 to do my rear gears at school only because the instructor has to ok the whole process and other people kept coming over to check it out.)
That's cool that you can do so much. Everything I touch on my car turns to shit. I just can't mod it. I've got no feel, and can't torque a bolt for my life.

I do like to drive though.

That's an awesome Viper, and the diff problem is interesting. Keep us posted with pics.

blah
06-19-2005, 05:42 AM

Heat "problem" and Viper appear as synonyms in the dictionary. It's just one of the prices to be paid for the entire package.

Part of the ambience... ;)

nothing like the smell of burnt plastic after a sunday drive. :lol:

dangerously_cool
06-19-2005, 05:44 AM
Or burnt rubber, no doubt.

Skaala
06-19-2005, 12:50 PM
That's cool that you can do so much. Everything I touch on my car turns to shit. I just can't mod it. I've got no feel, and can't torque a bolt for my life.

That's an awesome Viper, and the diff problem is interesting. Keep us posted with pics.

about that diff... I've heard about people in germany who drive a lot on the autobahn, getting problems with the diff overheating when driving at high speed over time. If I remember right, you can mount a fan that cools the diff oil.

dangerously_cool
06-19-2005, 06:20 PM
I think I've seen coolers, usually they're radiator type. I've got a power steering cooler behind the oilpan.

T-Bird
06-19-2005, 07:45 PM

about that diff... I've heard about people in germany who drive a lot on the autobahn, getting problems with the diff overheating when driving at high speed over time. If I remember right, you can mount a fan that cools the diff oil.

Yeah I could add one because with the new gears you can hear that bitch whine over 100mph they are exactly like a radiator. On the front of my car I have an Oil cooler, transmission cooler, power steering cooler, condensor and radiator... try servicing all that shit and they aren't all stock.

Warfang
06-20-2005, 04:04 AM
I want to find a "Viper experience" or some kind of driving school specifically pertaining to the Viper. I will be attending the SRT experience here in town, but you drive all the SRT cars/trucks, not just the Viper.

I can vouch for Skip Barber. Been to a couple of their classes, and well worth every penny. Brought my wife and friendfs on subsequent classes and plan on going to another one by the end of the year. The instructors are top notch.

955TT
06-20-2005, 02:37 PM

You here in AZ? Was thinking about going to the Pavillions one of these Saturday nights. I hear it is a regular car show!

Thanks for all your input guys. If I have another issue with the diff, I will just replace it with a Quaife, a lot of Viper guys use them and swear by them. My lovely wife ordered me the Mopar short throw shifter for Father's Day, and I am thinking about adding the cat-back exhaust for a little more rumble. No power adders yet. Honestly, I am a little bit scared of this thing.

Warfgang, thank you for your input on Skip Barber. I spoke with them, and they have a 2-day pro driving class that spends a lot of time in the Viper. I will probably attend in July or August.

T-Bird
06-20-2005, 02:42 PM

You here in AZ? Was thinking about going to the Pavillions one of these Saturday nights. I hear it is a regular car show!

Thanks for all your input guys. If I have another issue with the diff, I will just replace it with a Quaife, a lot of Viper guys use them and swear by them. My lovely wife ordered me the Mopar short throw shifter for Father's Day, and I am thinking about adding the cat-back exhaust for a little more rumble. No power adders yet. Honestly, I am a little bit scared of this thing.

Warfgang, thank you for your input on Skip Barber. I spoke with them, and they have a 2-day pro driving class that spends a lot of time in the Viper. I will probably attend in July or August.

Quaifes are amazing diffs I have experienced them in a few different vehicles definitely worth the cash. Who are you looking at for the cat-back? and finally when you go to Skip Barber you better get some nice track pics...

955TT
06-20-2005, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I guess Quaife is working on their '05 diff right now.

So far, I have priced the Mopar cat-back, pretty inexpensive actually. It is a two and a half inch that supposedly deletes the second cat (resonator) and the H-pipe. Dont want the racing exhaust as I wont be emissions legal at that point. I'm gonna check on the Viper boards and see what the other guys are doing.

I will take a ton of pics at Skip Barber, you can bet on that!!!

TransAm
06-21-2005, 02:38 PM
Nice car, 955TT. It was a shame to read a bit further into the thread and hear it has broken down already, but I guess these things happen sometimes. As you say, it's all covered by warranty.

Did Dodge lend you a loan vehicle while your Viper is in the shop? I ask because I wonder what they deem a suitable replacement for the Viper and I doubt they have a Viper loaner, right?

BMW tried to give me a Dodge Caravan when my old Z3 needed warranty work. I spun a line with the salesman about wanting a new car and got a Z4 2.5i demo for the day instead... :)

955TT
06-21-2005, 03:03 PM
Thanks, TA2001. Didnt ask them for a loaner due to having the E55 as my daily driver. When I bring her in for the short shifter and exhaust, I will let you know what they give me for a loaner. When I had my Cayenne, the first time, they gave me a Ford Escape, nothing against the vehicle, it just didnt seem "like" as a loaner. Subsequent visits and expressing my opinion on a "like" vehicle, they gave me a BMW325, Cayenne S, and a Jag XJ8 for other visits. Pretty nice loaner cars:)

Sounds like you scored with the Z4 demo for the day!