PDA

View Full Version : +++ R.I.P. Ben +++

st-anger
06-03-2005, 07:28 AM
....first, finding the right words is completely impossible for me right now...

last night i got a phone call from a good friend in the USA that a mutual friend of ours died in hospital that day after he crashed with his Carrera GT at an FOC event... :(

...it really pains me to death to announce that my good friend Ben Keaton won´t be with us any more, he and one of his friends, Cory Rudl, died when Ben tried to avoid a crash at high speed - it´s been NOT his fault :(

...both left behind a beautifly wife and a baby child

http://www.is-mad.com/upload/userfiles/stAnger/DSC02211.jpg
http://www.is-mad.com/upload/userfiles/stAnger/atthewheel2_001.sized.jpg

...won´t post any pics from the crash scene, there´re some around and as i have seen on many many other forums there´re topics like this, so if anyone really wants to know more....

for me it´s been a sad sad sad night and the day has been just empty and useless - some will know that the "death thing" also touched me a while back and this is why it´s just sooooo hard for me right now, hope u guys understand when i won´t be here for some time now and that Porsche Central is more or less closed for me right now...

please feel free to post some lines of condolences to their families and friends, personally i can´t comment on anything more... :cry:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...and, when you have comforted youself, you´ll be glad to have known me....

"Death ends a life, not a friendship."

Antoine de Saint-Exupery & Jack Lemmon

ARMAN
06-03-2005, 07:36 AM
Oh man thats very very sad to hear :( You actually knew him. We all understand that its a hard moment for you St.Anger.

dingo
06-03-2005, 07:48 AM
Sad news indeed, my best wishes to both families and you st-anger and other friends of these guys. :(
I think everyone will fully understand your absence from PC for the time being.... :wink:

TT
06-03-2005, 07:49 AM
:(

styla21
06-03-2005, 07:56 AM
I'm terribly sorry to hear about the loss St Anger. My condolences. My cousin was at the track at the time and i feel touched also by what happened.. It's never good to hear of somebody passing on through circumstances such as these.
My thoughts and prayers to Ben, his family, and all who knew him.
It is not my place to guess - though it seems an enthusiast went out doing what he loved best. May God rest his soul. RIP

adamwich
06-03-2005, 08:06 AM
This is just terrible. I don't know what to say.

Condolences to their families and friends.

Ghostbat
06-03-2005, 08:11 AM
My condolences to their families and friends. Really sad new. My best wishes to you to st-anger :(

bultaco_metralla
06-03-2005, 08:15 AM
:( Im sorry St-Anger = RIP =

Evo
06-03-2005, 08:16 AM
My condolences goes out to his family...

Fleischmann
06-03-2005, 08:18 AM
When reading the text I was wondering wethear this crash is the same as the one posted in the other topic. May your friends RIP, condolences to their families. It's even more sad seeing as how young the child is... :(

ZfrkS62
06-03-2005, 08:20 AM
i'm sorry to hear that the death of these two, obviously great people, is hitting so close to you st-anger. This is indeed a sad day.

R.I.P.

SPEEDKILLAR
06-03-2005, 08:45 AM
*sigh*, so sad, it must be hard for their relatives, and I feel very bad about their child.

R.I.P

I wish the family and you St-Anger a lot of strength.

|Nuno|
06-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Damn... Very sad news... :(

I really don't know what to say...

R.I.P. Ben.

pzgren
06-03-2005, 09:38 AM
My condolences to their families and friends too. In this situation no words are the right ones....

Chaos in 1983!
06-03-2005, 09:47 AM
god this is bad, i really don't have words...I'm sorry, my condolences to the family.. :(

DeMoN
06-03-2005, 10:04 AM
Pictures of the baby are sad enough. Sorry to hear this happened. I feel so sorry for you and your friends wife. R.I.P.

Aleighy
06-03-2005, 10:30 AM
st-anger, its hard to know what to say. my condolences to the families. today is definately a sad day.

komotar
06-03-2005, 10:37 AM
my condolences to the family and friends.

no words are right for such a situation....

astonmartinandy
06-03-2005, 11:09 AM
Tragic news. Always painful to see, but even worse when it's someone close to home.
My condolences to the family :(

sikx5
06-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Im not sure what to say here, its extremley sad situation, my condolences to the family and freinds of these two enthusiast. Very sad to see the images of the young child, and the father he/her will be without. :cry:

budagboy2
06-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Felt horrible when i heard about this...didn't know him personally but always read what he had to say on rennteam and Fchat. My condolences

abbor
06-03-2005, 11:20 AM
my condolences to the family, friends and you..

there's nothing else to say..

mayer
06-03-2005, 11:25 AM
He wasn't a personal friend, but I saw him at meets and he was a really cool guy, always willing to talk about and share his cars with the public. He was a hardcore enthusiast who drove his cars the way they were meant to be driven. It's tragic that such a thing had to happen to such a good person. Sad news indeed, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

He always attended these monthly meets in San Diego and I don't think they'll be the same without him. It almost seems surreal; pictures of a happier time:
http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25017&highlight=san+diego

Daggernite
06-03-2005, 11:31 AM
First post I read today.. like many im lost what to say.
Just want to say all my condolences go to the familys involved and you st.anger.

coombsie66
06-03-2005, 11:41 AM
My deepest condolences. A shocking event. :(

bmwmpower
06-03-2005, 11:48 AM
My condolences to family, very sad

Wutputt
06-03-2005, 11:48 AM
I heard about this shocking news, he was a respected member of different car forums. My condolences go to both families and friends.

|Nuno|
06-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Rennteam has closed temporarily in respect of Ben's death. Very nice gesture from them.

And unfortunately, Ben wasn't the only victim; Corey Rudl, passenger in Ben's car also passed away...

Again, my condolences to Ben's family and friends, and the same for Corey's relatives. :(

MadKorean
06-03-2005, 12:56 PM
:( Wow, very tragic

Vansquish
06-03-2005, 12:58 PM
Wow...such a small world. My heartfelt condolences go out to Ben's family and friends and Corey's as well. I hope they find the strength they need to carry on in such a hard time. St-anger, stay strong and don't forget the good things in life.

Schwalbe
06-03-2005, 02:29 PM
My condolences go to the family of Ben and Corey. The whole Porsche community lost some great Porsche enthusiasts , this is really sad. :(

sameerrao
06-03-2005, 03:51 PM
I dont know him personally but seeing his posts in Fchat it was clear to me that he was an enthusiast of the highest calibre.

According to an eyewitness who was on the track that day, the accident was due to a track worker waving thru another car onto the track at a point where cars are hitting 150 mph on the straight. The Ferrari that merged onto the track couldnt have seen the fast approaching Porsche. Ben swerved to avoid the Ferrari, spun and hit the retaining wall at high speed.

The corner worker should have been more aware of approachin traffic. Also the track entry point coincided with the fastest part of the circuit

callen
06-03-2005, 05:04 PM
My condolences to Ben and his friends family. A fantastic day for them ending in such a way is a tradgedy :cry: I cant imagine what their families are going thru...

Chingachgook
06-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Condolences

It's terrible, there are no words

blah
06-03-2005, 06:05 PM
I just posted something on 6speed listing everyone who posted in here so that his family will know he had friends. :(

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=319035#post319035

kjekki
06-03-2005, 06:08 PM
:(

nthfinity
06-03-2005, 06:30 PM
my thoughts and prayers are with Ben, and Corey's families today; i hope they will be able to pull through this tragedy. this is quite likely the sadest news ive read here :(

i didnt know ben myself, but based upon other's comments, he truly was a great person, and passionate auto-enthusiast... and it seems to let less fortunate to live vicariously through him. St-anger, i also offer you my most sencere respects for the loss of a good friend; may he rest in peace

:( :cry:

|Nuno|
06-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Ben Memorial Website. (http://www.kozmanautos.com/benlj.htm)

ViperASR
06-03-2005, 07:23 PM
my condolences man.

i lost my brother about a year ago, so i know what your going through. Sorry for your loss man.

RIP Ben......... :(

frodefe
06-03-2005, 07:32 PM
I'm speechless....

I honestly do not know what to say - It could have been anyone of us.... :cry:

god bless

bmagni
06-03-2005, 07:34 PM
my condolences for both families, all my support to u st.anger

R.I.P.

Minacious
06-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Seeing that picture of his little girl in the drivers seat really hits the heart hard. :cry:

chest3r
06-03-2005, 08:04 PM
At least he was doing something he loved, and that's the most important. :roll:

Maybe now he's in a better place than us....

RIP

jakaracman
06-04-2005, 02:48 PM
^^^ RIP
If I have to go, that's the way to go ...

ae86_16v
06-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Sorry about your lost St. Anger.

Even more sympathies go to the families.

oantob
06-05-2005, 03:08 AM
So sad to hear that... R.I.P.
my condolences to all the family... :(

Yablokov
06-05-2005, 03:58 AM
sry m8:(

gangajas
06-05-2005, 08:57 AM
D.E.P

yg60m
06-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Just read this thread :? and it is very sad. It's always hard to find something to say in these circumstances. Life is certainly very strange, my wife had an accident 5 days ago with my two childs and if they were not wounded, it could have been much more serious had the car been 50 cm farther ...
It made me think that morning you go to your job without any trouble and that suddenly your life can take a very bad way :?
Unfortunatly, it doesn't help to accept ... :(

My thoughts go towards their families and friends :(

lakatu
06-05-2005, 02:15 PM
When I read about the death of Ben and Cory I was deeply affected. At first I found it rather odd since I didn’t know either of them but I felt compelled to learn more about them and from what little I have read them both seemed to be incredibly gifted and caring individuals. It is sad when we lose people like this as they seem to be so rare these days.

As the knowledge of their death continued to weigh upon me I wondered why it had affected me so much and I came up with two reasons which I think that we can all relate to. First, is the affect that their death had on st-anger, who I consider to be a great friend. While I didn’t know either directly I feel a deep sadness because of the sorrow that st-anger is feeling for their loss and indirectly I feel a small portion of the sadness that st-anger is feeling because he is my friend. Secondly, I think that we as car enthusiasts can all relate to both Ben and Cory because of their love of cars and driving them to their fullest potential. I don’t think that there is a one of us that wouldn’t have climbed into that CGT to try and experience the trill that the were engaged in shortly before their death. As a result, for myself anyways, I think how their fate could become my fate. It makes you reflect on the danger inherent in the passion we all share for fast cars. Life is so short and events like this make one reflect on our values and decisions and how they affect our lives.

As is the case in almost all deaths, I think the people hurt the most are the loved ones left behind. For those that pass on I believe reside in a better state. I’d like to extend my best wishes and deepest sorrow to those that knew and loved both Ben and Cory. May you feel some comfort and peace in the lives they lived and the peace I believe they have now obtained.

brian
06-06-2005, 08:01 AM
http://www.reflections-detailing.net/main/RIPBEN.jpg

http://www.reflections-detailing.net/main/benrip2.jpg

TransAm
06-06-2005, 09:17 AM
May they rest in peace

fedezyl
06-06-2005, 09:27 AM
My condolences to the family and friends, losing a loved one is something very hard, but all the good memories will always be with us.

stradale
06-06-2005, 01:28 PM
My deepest sympathies to the families and friends of both Ben and Corey. This is so sad. :(

mayer
06-06-2005, 02:08 PM
For anyone interested, here is a video from April of this year of the Carlsbad car show in San Diego County. Ben always attended these meets and peeled out of the parking lot at the end.

The video was shot by Ryan_in_SD but I believe that Ben helped him edit or encode the movie (not too sure about that). Anyhow, it's just for anyone who wants some images to remember him by and something he always took part in with enthusiasm.

http://rapidshare.de/files/2213188/april_show_low.wmv.html

stmoritzer
06-08-2005, 12:25 PM
just came back from holidays...
I'm sorry to read these sad news :(
May they rest in peace

Mein herzliches Beileid an die Familien und ihre Freunde und viel Kraft auch für Dich st.anger

noosee
06-08-2005, 04:00 PM
:cry: :cry: sad

blah
06-08-2005, 07:52 PM
I just came back from the funeral. It felt like a movie honestly. It just felt like at any moment he was just gonna get up and say suprise. :( :cry:

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?p=416412#416412

SilviaEvo
06-10-2005, 12:39 AM
very sad. i posted in the other topic but i just found this one. Condolences to Ben and Corey's families.

st-anger
06-10-2005, 04:36 AM
...arrived back home last night

first off, i´d like to personally THANK everyone who responded in this topic - if possible it would be an honor for me to shake everyone´s hand in person...

as u probably have noticed - not that we have ALL lost a real enthusiast and passionate sports car lover - personally i´ve lost a beloved friend and his death depressed me like the loss of a brother - and i´m not that haughty to say that my friend and myself have not shed the one or other tear.

hope u guys respect the fact that i won´t re-tell what happened over the past few days as they were quite emotional - all i can say is that i arrived back here with a mission to fulfil - because Ben would have been among the first to continue with what we both love to do - sharing our tiny bit of experience and knowledge with other passionate sports car lovers and i´m happy to know that even when the road on earth ended for him way too soon, i´ll some time see him around - somewhere - driving his shiny GT...

i do not want to affect the positive mood of anyone, or the celebration of the 2nd birthday of JW these days but personally, and same is valid for Porsche Central, wearing black ribbon is the minimum thing - everyone who feels the same, feel free to change the avatar for the time beeing...

see you around buddy, we miss you...

blah
06-10-2005, 02:02 PM

first off, i´d like to personally THANK everyone who responded in this topic - if possible it would be an honor for me to shake everyone´s hand in person...

as u probably have noticed - not that we have ALL lost a real enthusiast and passionate sports car lover - personally i´ve lost a beloved friend and his death depressed me like the loss of a brother - and i´m not that haughty to say that my friend and myself have not shed the one or other tear.

hope u guys respect the fact that i won´t re-tell what happened over the past few days as they were quite emotional - all i can say is that i arrived back here with a mission to fulfil - because Ben would have been among the first to continue with what we both love to do - sharing our tiny bit of experience and knowledge with other passionate sports car lovers and i´m happy to know that even when the road on earth ended for him way too soon, i´ll some time see him around - somewhere - driving his shiny GT...

i do not want to affect the positive mood of anyone, or the celebration of the 2nd birthday of JW these days but personally, and same is valid for Porsche Central, wearing black ribbon is the minimum thing - everyone who feels the same, feel free to change the avatar for the time beeing...

Seal Grey ribbon is what we wore at the funeral. Would you like a sticker? I got two and im sure you would like to sport one. PM me you details and ill try and get one out to you.

st-anger
06-10-2005, 06:36 PM

Seal Grey ribbon is what we wore at the funeral. Would you like a sticker? I got two and im sure you would like to sport one. PM me you details and ill try and get one out to you.

...when i´d have known it would have been my pleasure to say "hello" to you there - unfortunately we couldn´t make it to Starbucks on wednesday morning but we were present at the service at carroll canyon rd...

blah
06-11-2005, 05:55 AM

...when i´d have known it would have been my pleasure to say "hello" to you there - unfortunately we couldn´t make it to Starbucks on wednesday morning but we were present at the service at carroll canyon rd...

You were there.....wtf what were you driving in? one of the Ferraris? Did you stand over in the oorner by the Doors on the outside with the heavyset man in the orange or red shirt i forget what color. I was over with the Porsche crowd on the left.

st-anger
06-11-2005, 06:55 AM

You were there.....wtf what were you driving in? one of the Ferraris? Did you stand over in the oorner by the Doors on the outside with the heavyset man in the orange or red shirt i forget what color. I was over with the Porsche crowd on the left.

...from what i´ve learned u where there with Albert in his yellow 996 - am i right...???

...we were there (LJ) pretty early as we couldn´t make it to Irvine in the morning, so we decided to head up somewhere to La Jolla area and parked our car ( black/beige 7-series ) at the Mt Soledad area where we went around a bit through the parks and later we headed up to El Camino Chapel - as i´m not the person who´s "in front" at such events we stayed in the background, don´t know if u´d have even recognized me among all those Ferrari/Porsche guys...
a question - are u from the LJ area ??? don´t know but i think i´ll fly over again kinda soon - well, we´ll see...

let´s c around in Porsche Central for now... :wink:

blah
06-11-2005, 09:49 AM
i stayed in the background too, because i didnt even know ben personally. I did ride down with albert, who also happened to be a friends uncle. :lol: That was so damn random.

Shinigami
06-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Yeah, very sad news. Travelled quite a few automotive (and non automotive) forums. May he be in a peaceful place now.

Condolences to the mother and baby :(

st-anger
07-10-2005, 09:28 AM
....first i´d again like to THANK everyone for their support and hopefully postings on the "Ben Keaton Memoriam Website" (http://www.kozmanautos.com/benlj.htm)...
tomorrow, after 39 days of mourning, one day for every year of Ben´s too short life, the official mourning period will end, so i´d invite everyone to switch back to their "normal" sigs and avatars, besides i´d again thank everyone who decided to switch to the official Ben Keaton black ribbon...

+++THANK YOU ALL+++

:|

DJF1
07-14-2005, 01:56 PM
Hey St.Anger, Its really great to see what you guys here have done...Forgive me for having stayed away from the board. His death hit me hard and it put things in perspective this year, especially after a huge accident that I had at the Club Race at Sebring this February which if it wasn't for luck and Porsche safety I too may have joined our lost friend up in the skies...
I stayed away because of all that, but the Porsche "bug"is so strong that it has lured me back so to speak. Not sure when I will race again, hopefully next year.
Again, just wanted to thank you for all the work and education you are giving all of us.

st-anger
07-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Hey St.Anger, Its really great to see what you guys here have done...Forgive me for having stayed away from the board. His death hit me hard and it put things in perspective this year, especially after a huge accident that I had at the Club Race at Sebring this February which if it wasn't for luck and Porsche safety I too may have joined our lost friend up in the skies...
I stayed away because of all that, but the Porsche "bug"is so strong that it has lured me back so to speak. Not sure when I will race again, hopefully next year.
Again, just wanted to thank you for all the work and education you are giving all of us.

...ALWAYS nice to hear from u my friend and personally it brings me joy every time talking with u - although u´re not here that often - but be sure i think i can speak for all of us, we perfectly understand...

hope things get well with u soon - in EVERY respect - definitely looking forward talking with u again my friend, take your time and see u soon... :)

StanAE86
05-02-2006, 01:40 AM
I just found this somewhat sad thread on this issue:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=253838&page=1&pp=15

LotusGT1
05-02-2006, 04:28 AM
Only in America....

yg60m
05-02-2006, 04:54 AM
:? That's one reason why french manufacturers don't go to US (not that US market miss them a lot :wink: ). But there was something similar after Senna's death ...

No.1
05-02-2006, 11:29 AM
A disgrace IMO.

Stupid litigious society :roll:

ZfrkS62
05-02-2006, 11:43 AM
that is complete and utter bullshit. I hope the judge is a motorsport fan and throws this out.

StanAE86
05-02-2006, 11:46 AM
I haven't read through the whole thing...but money will be exchanged in this litigation, most likely. You see, in the US, we don't have accidents. There's always someone to scapegoat and blame...

ZfrkS62
05-02-2006, 11:47 AM
^^Funny, Italy is the same way :roll:

sameerrao
05-02-2006, 11:55 AM
These ambulance chasers need to be rounded up and publicly shot. Disgraceful!!!

nthfinity
05-02-2006, 12:07 PM
there were a lot of problems that caused the accident; and it's unfortunate that two good people lost thier lives because of it.

I think such debates be discussed outside this topic.

StanAE86
06-16-2006, 02:35 PM
Here's some of the newest information I've found:

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?p=665604#665604