PDA

View Full Version : American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis did you read it?

TT
06-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Hey, this section needs more action :D so guys, stop reading your books and post something in here :D

I am still sucked deeply into King's dark tower's last tomes, but I was picking already the next read between all the books bought and stored in the past months and American Psycho caught my eyes since the movie was on TV once again some time ago.

It should be a nice read but I wanted to have some feedback if somebody read it.
Don't tell me it is better than the movie, that's obvious! no movie will ever be better than the book that inspired it, period.
And in this case I am sure the movie wasn't able to show what was happening in Mr Bateman's mind.. just impossible, but I think the book should go much more indepth in his crazyness.

So, did you read it, your thoughts?

Goro
06-02-2005, 08:00 AM
Yes, I've read it. It is the only book that has ever made me feel sick! Brilliant :twisted:

I won't say that the book is better(as you told me to :wink: ). The movie simply doesn't understand the universe of Mr. Bateman and since the book is seen through Batemans eyes the whole concept of the book doesn't come across in the movie.

READ IT!

Ghostbat
06-02-2005, 08:27 AM
I'm actually reading it right now and I really like it so far. What's so great about the book is just what Goro says, we see Batemans universe with his own eyes and it's certainly a scary look. Indeed he's one f***ed up character. Batemans obsession about fancy things and his superb knowledge about fashion, music, drinks, gizmos and several other areas are described in a very detailed way..

So yes I think you should read it TT.

TT
06-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Thanks guys! :D

bmwmpower
06-02-2005, 11:35 AM
i dont, i saw only movie, well movie was terrible, im sure book is better,
but thats not new, books are always better, really

antonioledesma
06-02-2005, 12:03 PM
great, I'll look for it
I've been wanting to read that book but no one of my friends have read it. I've avoided the movie until I can read the book
and I'm still taking the choice if I read it in english or spanish

SPEEDKILLAR
06-02-2005, 01:09 PM
Damn, the best book I ever read in its genre, I don't get scared at all, but when reading his book I had to take a pause and relax a bit, a fantastic read, you'll never forget it.

bmwmpower
06-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Damn, the best book I ever read in its genre, I don't get scared at all, but when reading his book I had to take a pause and relax a bit, a fantastic read, you'll never forget it.

how diferent is book and movie ?

SPEEDKILLAR
06-12-2005, 06:09 AM

how diferent is book and movie ?

Sorry for the late answer, but the book is much better, anyway if you want to see the movie and read the book, then I would suggest to read the book first and then to watch the movie.

bmwmpower
06-12-2005, 09:37 AM
i saw movie, but is book diferent ? i mean story ?

SPEEDKILLAR
06-12-2005, 10:59 AM
No, not much, I wasn't really concentrated when watching the movie, cause I noticed the book was so much better.

Driftzwerg
10-16-2005, 01:29 AM
Really fantastic book, you actually will start to hate the main figure. The movie is shit though.

lorbmw69
11-07-2005, 07:39 AM
i thought the movie was ok. the opening scene was great! the book, though was really good. ellis' newest book is a sort of biography and he claims Bateman was based off his father!! (sorry for the 5 month delay on the thread!)

TeflonTron
06-24-2006, 01:25 AM
Sorry to post in an old thread, but I have to say that some films are better than the books. The best example that I can think of is "Man on Fire. The remake (with Fanning and Washington) is way, way, way better than the book.

blinkmeat
06-24-2006, 01:29 AM
The author was ousted when he wrote this - Hated in all circles of the literary world - So it must be good. I saw the movie and it was awesome. Definately on the must read list 8)

davide
06-24-2006, 01:14 PM
The book is really good, better than the movie!

my advice, read it!