PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras in Dubai

mindgam3
05-13-2005, 01:27 PM
I've got the chance to pick up some electronic stuff from over in Dubai, UAE - now I know gold and electronics are very widely available and cheap over there. As i cannot find any info on the web (in english anyway ;)) could any of JW's UAE residents give me some ideas on how much, say for example, the following digital cameras would cost in your own currency (AED?)?

Canon EOS 300D
Canon EOS 350D
Canon Pro 1
Panasonic FZ20/FZ5
Fuji finepix S7000

Cheers ;)

mindgam3
05-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Remember to send your empty box with ups to the uk and put something of very low value in it.
Send you receipt with normal post to the uk.

And make your camera look used by the time you get back to the uk.

Otherwise you can get fucked hard when you get off the plane in the uk. Friend of mine had that problem with customs, he came from japan, bought himself a nice sony digicam for a really good price. They saw the camera, the box and everything and in the end when taxes came in it costed him 50€ more then if he had bought it here.

lol, yeah, I've got tonnes of stuff from the states and so far, never been caught and taxed yet ;)

TransAm
05-13-2005, 03:53 PM
When I go back to the UK I have to 'declare' I've not bought any of my items I ship in the container in the past 6 months...

I'll be taking my chances... :wink:

When I ordered all my Saab stuff from the UK I didnt have to pay any import taxes here in the USA but I was expecting to :?: I think the total bill was 890 quid.

SFDMALEX
05-13-2005, 06:06 PM
I always get taxed by the Canadian customs when I get stuff from the states, so now I try to shop in Canada only.

The tax is bullshit here, some thing like 35%.

Evo
12-25-2005, 05:13 PM
I'm sorry! If I only read this in May!...

Last month, i bought Canon 350, and it is great! I did dust clean it once, but over all, easy to use this first SLR.

:D

No.1
03-13-2006, 05:35 PM
*BUMP*

mindgam3, or anybody else who knows, what sort of discount can you expect to achieve in Dubai on the 350D?

I'm making a shopping list for someone, and if the price is low enough, i may order a 350D along with all my other stuff

Thanks again - you guys love answering my questions (...go on... admit it :P )