PDA

View Full Version : Best Souding Car?

Toronto
03-17-2005, 02:07 AM
Please post your thoughts on the best sounding car

for me it is really not what I thought it would be

the new gulf GTi with a turbo upgrade sounds amazing IMO the turbo spinning up and letting go just sounds great :D

TransAm
03-17-2005, 02:08 AM
Mugen Motul Civic, although I've only heard a handful of cars so far...

SilviaEvo
03-17-2005, 02:15 AM
best ive heard in real life? that would be probably a Ferrari 360 Modena in Giallo Fly Yellow it blew right past me as i was walking down the street. oh yeah and a Testarossa idling :twisted:

Toronto
03-17-2005, 02:17 AM
^^^ sorry I am talking about in the game GT4 :D lol

SilviaEvo
03-17-2005, 02:22 AM
^^oh bloody fuck! i clicked on it on the front page! well in GT4 ive only driven the new M5 at Gamestop and that was pretty nice but it was only for like 5 seconds cuz the lil brats wanted to play :lol:

RC45
03-17-2005, 02:31 AM
most gutteral? Probably the Bently LMP car...

ferrari550
03-17-2005, 02:43 AM
although i love some of the sounds in GT4, they are not too realistic. to start the CSL is great. But a sound i did like very much was the VX220. I had it tuned quite high and i thought it sounded towards(but not quite) like a 360 CS.

RC45
03-17-2005, 02:47 AM
Remember, the sound inside a car is totally different from the outside sound - which is where most people are used to hearing it from.

Besides the fact that you are a stationary doppler impacted listener - and in side you are moving with the sound source, you are hearing the result of exhaust and and mechanical first - wind second - inside the car you have mechanical, exhaust, road and finally wind that above certain speeds will cancel the lower tones you enjoy from outside the car.
Also note that the sound changes as you tweak the car. :)

Toronto
03-17-2005, 02:55 AM
^^^ I always use the incar view when I drive, no only does it sound better, you also drive better :P

RC45
03-17-2005, 03:04 AM
^^ I am refering to "most people are used to hearing a car" from the outside the cars in real life.. not the game... so when people hear the in-car in-game sounds, it is not what they are expecting.

I would hope that folks around these parts are not playing GT4 in chase-cam arcade mode....

T-Bird
03-17-2005, 03:28 AM
well Idleing at the starting line I like the Viper fully tuned and at WOT actually it is a brutal sound. The EVO VII GT-A sounds really nice fully tuned also. Obviously the Leman Cars sound pretty sweet aswell but not quite the same.

dingo
03-17-2005, 07:28 AM
I love the M3 CSL and M3 GTR (road version), they both sound awesome with that metallic/raspy sound :D
My thoughts might change as I drive more of the other cars :)

mindgam3
03-17-2005, 07:40 AM
The sounds in GT4 IMO are mostly shit when compared to the real versions, this is the one and only thing that really gets me in GT4.

Best sounding cars are always race cars though, the M3 race car sounds pretty nice

dingo
03-17-2005, 07:44 AM
The sounds in GT4 IMO are mostly shit when compared to the real versions, this is the one and only thing that really gets me in GT4.

They are not perfect, but IMO they are much better then in GT3 :wink:

Fluid
03-17-2005, 09:59 AM
I've never heard a car game that had really good sounds yet :P

cooperluke
03-17-2005, 10:39 AM
NFS Porsche Challenge, the sounds were really great!!
I still consider it one of the best car games ever!!

In the GT4.. only been playing today, so I still don't have a favourite sounding car.. lol

RC45
03-17-2005, 11:18 AM

Best sounding cars are always race cars though, the M3 race car sounds pretty nice

ARe you comparing inside sound vs inside sound? Or outside sound vs inside sound? And for which cars.

I know I am very critical of PD and GT4 because from a physics and AI perspective it is very lacking - but the eye and ear candy was actually recorded from the actual vehicles - so if you hear a "wrong/bad sound" - thats because thats how it sounded on the day in real life when they copied it... ;)

As an example - people think the Viper is a great sounding car - well from outside it is, but from inside it is not what is expected.. ;)

So, just wondering what would you suggest be done to make more "realistic" sounds - other than record the real thing.. :P hehe

mindgam3
03-17-2005, 11:51 AM

ARe you comparing inside sound vs inside sound? Or outside sound vs inside sound? And for which cars.

I know I am very critical of PD and GT4 because from a physics and AI perspective it is very lacking - but the eye and ear candy was actually recorded from the actual vehicles - so if you hear a "wrong/bad sound" - thats because thats how it sounded on the day in real life when they copied it... ;)

As an example - people think the Viper is a great sounding car - well from outside it is, but from inside it is not what is expected.. ;)

So, just wondering what would you suggest be done to make more "realistic" sounds - other than record the real thing.. :P hehe

Well both inside and outside....

Just because its recorded from real sounds doesen't mean they'll sound like the real thing in the game.

They haven't recorded every single car at every single rev under various loads, let alone under all the different tuning stages but have most likely extrapolated real life sounds for a few of the cars. They can't have the same quality in game as they recorded it, but I cant say any of the cars sound that good.

For example, the M3 CSL, Zonda, SLR and TVR's - some of the most distinct car sounds and none of them on GT4 sound anything like the real sounds - inside or out.

I've tested a fair few cars inside and out and the differences between inside and out are not the same as in real life, as well as the actual sound... its a big let down really for me as this is one thing i'd hoped they would have improved, couldnt really care about any improvements on AI.

IMO, nfsu2 sounds were better than GT4's. Even though they were mostly shit riced cars, they did sound like riced (mostly 4 pot) cars and IMO were fairly realistic, at least more so than the majority of GT4's

TransAm
03-17-2005, 12:00 PM
E46 M3 has a very raspy sound, almost like the rear muffler is loose, IRL, both with the roof up and down (my mate has a cabrio). E46 M3 on GT4 doesn't sound anywhere near it IMHO.

Try a 91 Honda CRX SiR. Having owned one IRL, it sounds like a race car over 6000rpm. Not in TG4, IMHO.

RC45
03-17-2005, 12:00 PM
OK - so we have trashed the AI, the physics, the visuals and now the sound... that leaves the big question:

If PD got the sound, physyics, and visuals wrong - how can we rely on the tracks... ;)

We have just concluded that GT4 is a piss poor arcade game with a high price tag and we were all suckered into buying it... :P hehe

TransAm
03-17-2005, 12:01 PM
OK - so we have trashed the AI, the physics, the visuals and now the sound... that leaves the big question:

If PD got the sound, physyics, and visuals wrong - how can we rely on the tracks... ;)

We have just concluded that GT4 is a piss poor arcade game with a high price tag and we were all suckered into buying it... :P hehe

They got the 'playability' and 'fun' factor right though, IMHO.

mindgam3
03-17-2005, 12:08 PM

It has many flaws, but all are pretty much nit picking, we're expecting it to be exactly the same as reality but almost everyone (not just on JW) has missed the point that it's only a computer game.

Nothing wrong with the visuals IMO, car models are stunning, sounds could be better, not much wrong with the AI IMO (comparatively), physics is good IMO, apart from the apparently built in understeer on everything and tracks are accurate and detailed enough for me.

IMO the best game racing game out there by far - with the best compromise of realism and pick up and play fun.

RC45
03-17-2005, 12:24 PM
^^^ now you are justifying your throwing away 50 quid... ;)

Admit you were suckered into buying it - and that it's the same as GT3 - just with Le Mans and the North Loop... :P

mindgam3
03-17-2005, 12:29 PM
^^^ now you are justifying your throwing away 50 quid... ;)

Admit you were suckered into buying it - and that it's the same as GT3 - just with Le Mans and the North Loop... :P

30 quid ;)

In fact it was free as my gf got pre ordered it for me, even better ;)

Pimp Racer
03-17-2005, 05:56 PM
I like the sounds of the Honda's since you can hear it when the V-TEC kicks in at high revs escipially on the NSX's all stock BTW.

oantob
03-19-2005, 08:24 AM
IMO, the great sound for racing is the motul civic...
try tunned the Subaru Coupe R Sti Ver. VI '99 (I don't know if its the same as other subs) and take it to the 400m run and hear the boxer engine idle :twisted: it sounds like a monster :twisted:

callen
03-19-2005, 05:58 PM
Best sounding car for me so far is my M3 CSL, tuned to around 440 BHP, it is not fully tuned but quite close. BTW, since the wind noise can ruin the experience, when u get the car out on the straight, switch to rear view for a full gear or two, all you can hear is pure exhaust note! It sounds a million times better than any forward view, and I use it everytime I go from 2nd, all the way thru 3rd, then finally when i am approaching some serious speed and the corner is near, back into forward view so i can see where the hell i am going! It is also fun to watch ur car UNLOAD 2nd place on the straight!(or 4th 5th watever car may be behind u)

dingo
03-20-2005, 03:40 AM
It has many flaws, but all are pretty much nit picking, we're expecting it to be exactly the same as reality but almost everyone (not just on JW) has missed the point that it's only a computer game.

Nothing wrong with the visuals IMO, car models are stunning, sounds could be better, not much wrong with the AI IMO (comparatively), physics is good IMO, apart from the apparently built in understeer on everything and tracks are accurate and detailed enough for me.

IMO the best game racing game out there by far - with the best compromise of realism and pick up and play fun.

that was well said and I agree completely, if people find it so unrealistic and feel ripped off then go out and drive a real car instead :wink:

RC45
03-20-2005, 03:55 AM

that was well said and I agree completely, if people find it so unrealistic and feel ripped off then go out and drive a real car instead :wink:

Some of us do... :P - but it's relaxing to drive in the living room.. ;)

Pimp Racer
03-20-2005, 01:19 PM
best sounding car i've heard is after modding my Alfa Romeo GTV V6 24v.....put a racing exhaust on, pushing 500hp.

the exhaust note is growling! the Audi Lemans Quattro has a fantastic exhaust sound as well, true supercar sound.

Ah I gotta try out that Alfa! I have only driven that Alfa convt in the Liscense tests and it sound pretty nice!

Best sounding car for me so far is my M3 CSL, tuned to around 440 BHP, it is not fully tuned but quite close. BTW, since the wind noise can ruin the experience, when u get the car out on the straight, switch to rear view for a full gear or two, all you can hear is pure exhaust note! It sounds a million times better than any forward view, and I use it everytime I go from 2nd, all the way thru 3rd, then finally when i am approaching some serious speed and the corner is near, back into forward view so i can see where the hell i am going! It is also fun to watch ur car UNLOAD 2nd place on the straight!(or 4th 5th watever car may be behind u)

Thanks for the tip I will try this since I want the full experience of the cars sounds! :D

zr2man99
03-21-2005, 12:51 AM
I am so mad that they still got the C5r sound wrong again. It does not sound a thing like it does in GT4. In GT4 it sounds like it has a 3.0 V6, instead of the 7.0l V8 it really has. There is no deep resonating sound at all, its way to whinney. The AMG mercedes (sl55, E55) all sound pretty good though. They have that deep growl to them.

sameerrao
03-23-2005, 05:40 PM
I've never heard a car game that had really good sounds yet :P

Cmon Dan, you should know better ... the GP Legends game with the extra sound pack has an awesome sounding Ferrari V12 in it.

blah
03-24-2005, 01:49 PM
Why is it that as soon as you tune a car, they all sound the same? The V8s sound just like the Honda engines, even the older big v8s. The RS6 sounded nothing like a real AUDI V8 at all.

Pimp Racer
03-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Why is it that as soon as you tune a car, they all sound the same? The V8s sound just like the Honda engines, even the older big v8s. The RS6 sounded nothing like a real AUDI V8 at all.

No clue at all really.

But I did however spend countless hours testing out the sound with different things on the car such as Muffler upgrades and such. You will notice the sound to be different but for some reason when you install the racing tranny every car sounds the same! :( But without the racing tranny the cars sound pretty damn good as long as you got a good combo of the muffler and engine upgrades. BTW dont buy a stage 4 turbo and except the sound be to different since that will only make it sound more like every other car.

blah
03-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Also where are the Blow Off Valves?