PDA

View Full Version : Bugatti Veyron "pretty heavy hector"--what would y

maalox
06-20-2003, 07:26 PM
An Italian magazine has pegged the Veyron's loaded weight at around 1600 kg. That means it is literally up by 300 to 400 kg on competitors such as the Enzo, Carrera GT, and Zonda. Although I still think the Veyron's 1001 hp will easily give it the edge for top speed, I think its handling will definitely be hurting from the weight (along with the AWD and long wheelbase). So, which would you choose?

TT
06-20-2003, 07:42 PM
Uff, 1600 kg.. dang, an A8 is 1800!

Ok, it's a good looking car and the engine is amazing, but 'd never go for it.. to heavy, even if it has 1000 hp.. and anyway, I doubt you'll ever be able to use all that power on the road or on the track.. it's just a concept became real, and it won't be a driver's car IMO.. but I'll wait for evo to make a full review of it in the future :)

stracing
06-21-2003, 02:21 AM
what the? 1600kg
cornering shouldn't be a problem, just some power oversteer should help. but then tyres would be a worry

troskap
06-21-2003, 02:34 AM
Ahhh, the Veyron. Definitely meant to be a showpiece, more than anything else. Something that's supposed to scream to the world, "look at us! look at us! We can do something!", rather than further the realms of performance. I'd have my doubts about just how effectively a car like the Veyron would put the power down on the macadam, let alone turn at a decent speed. It's neat, hearing all the numbers and such, but beyond that....eh.

I can already see the McLaren F1 sneering from it's throne, saying snootily, "Next contender...."

novass
06-21-2003, 06:11 AM
anyone seen any videos of the Bugatti? i saw a few from the supercars.de site. they were alright, they didnt do anything spectacular, the engine sounds awesome...like a jet or something.

SDK2003
06-21-2003, 07:29 AM
Supercharger - nooooooooooooooooo !!!!!

possessed_beaver
06-21-2003, 10:47 AM
omg, wtf! why does it weigh so much!!!
lmao, i thought it was a bad idea for them 2 include the lead doors :onfire:

1zippo1
06-21-2003, 11:17 AM
1600 kilo, well that is more then every other supercar out there. 1400 kilo is about the maximum. And to be really good they should bring it down to 1100-1200kilo (like the McLaren & Zonda). But if you do some calculation you still get 1,6kilo per hp and that just is incredible. I know only one stock car that does better, and they only built 7 of it I think, the McLaren LM, wich has 1,56kilo per hp (670hp 1050kilo). Well it depends now about how good the suspension is and how they adjust it. If they want it to be a GT, suspension will be softer and it will slower on a track.

One thing I'm sure about, it will be a nice car with that kinda hp. Maybe slower on a track then the Pagani(maybe). But in a straight line, this will be awesome.

maalox
06-21-2003, 02:00 PM
Yeah I think this car is going to go the way of the figurehead cruiser car. It's going to be another heavyweight car with a big, loud engine meant to impress everyone around it.

Fleischmann
12-30-2003, 10:41 AM
Bugatt Veyron - 1600kg/1001bhp
Aston Martin Vanquish - 1800kg/460bhp

Shouldn't be a problem.

But I heard something about limiting the speed to 205mph.

bmwfreak
12-30-2003, 11:25 AM
I have never liked the whole concept and idea of the Bugatti Veyron, It somehow smacks of VW-Audi trying to prove how wonderfully endowed they are. Penis envy, if you will.

Sure the figures look great. 0-60 in 3 secs flat, possibly 2.9, theoretical top speed of 252 Mph (that would get it quite close to a Porsche 917 1970s Can-Am racer), 0-100 in less than 6 secs.

I doubt it will be able to corner that well, although this remains to be seen. like Fleischmann mentioned, the AM Vanq is 1800Kg, and it doesnt shame itself too badly in the handling departments. No, I think the Veyron will fall no doubt flat on its face with the one element that might ruin its entire driving experience : Steering Feel.

Audis corner well (S4, A8, RS6, etc) but steering feel is almost non-existent, thanks to the use of its Quattro AWD system. And an upgraded, re-engineered version of that system will appear in the Veyron. With that much power being sent through all wheels, you really do wonder what will happen to the steering feel, if any at all.

The McLaren F1 can no doubt rest in peace.

ported_head
12-30-2003, 12:51 PM
so if it's going to be good only in a straight line....it's the american muscle car era all over again.... and that sucks... not what id really expect from bugatti.... wait for a full test though before i comment any further

mrzonda
12-30-2003, 12:56 PM
Well, the chassis is being tuned by the same guy who tuned the Koennigsegg and the Zonda, two great drivers cars with great steering feel (according to evo, I guess). Who knows what'll happen.

pimrusis
12-30-2003, 01:06 PM
100 kg for each cylinder? Good plan!

yg60m
12-30-2003, 03:58 PM
1600 kg is "only" 200 more than the CGt and the Enzo and 150 less than the SLR. A 575 M weights 1700 kg and it doesn't handle like a shit.
For the accelerations it is even more a question of torque than hp and here it had twice the torque of the CGT/ Enzo/ Macca. They claim 0-186 mph in under 15 seconds, the McLaren made it in 22 s. When you compare the F50 /F40 times you realise that they are similarly but the testers are agree that the Turbo engine gives a stronger feeling of acceleration, even against the Enzo so with 4 Turbo that must be amazing !

flat6
12-30-2003, 04:22 PM
Come on now, it's just a big pimp. If you want a sports car, then go for an Elise or a 360 or something... or better yet, hop into a race version of a 911 or Caterham. But if you're going hyper exotic, you might as well get into some disturbing numbers for weight and power.

jpatino03
12-30-2003, 07:47 PM
Did anyone else read that EVO interview with Gordon Murray? I think he put it best on what's wrong with the Veyron.

SDK2003
12-30-2003, 08:04 PM
Did anyone else read that EVO interview with Gordon Murray? I think he put it best on what's wrong with the Veyron.

Yeah I remember that article very well indeed, good read :)

pimrusis
12-31-2003, 12:24 AM
testers are agree that the Turbo engine gives a stronger feeling of acceleration, even against the Enzo so with 4 Turbo that must be amazing !
I would imagine that the reason for the feel of acceleration is the sudden rush of power when the turbos kick in. However, if you go onto the Bugatti website and watch the vids on the Veyron it points out that the fact that it has 4 turbochargers make them perform in essense, like a supercharger. This meaning that it would provide a more constant acceleration instead of a rush. Correct me if I am wrong though, cause I have never driven a turbo'd car only a super'd one.

dylan99
12-31-2003, 07:25 PM
I've read an article that weight of the Veyron will be around 1900/1950 KG!!!!!
I think so far it's a great car but that's a lot of weight isn't I think personally it's too much. however I will still buy it but the weight is TOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bmwfreak
01-01-2004, 04:58 AM
All the Veyrons are supposedly sold out. And each customer will also get a custom-made/designed Bugatti watch, complete with 4 dials inside that resemble turbochargers. Alone, it would cost 20,00 pounds, or so they say. Geez, give me a Rolex or Tag Heuer anytime.

I reckon Gordon Murray got it right. As it is, the spirit and essence of the Veyron will no doubt insure that it will not get the kind of adulation, respect or heart-tugging emotional capability of the Mac F1. I would think that only Murray himself could ever build a proper hypercar to rival, or surpass the F1.

Come on, McLaren. Ask BMW for another monster of an M Power engine. Stick the P83 M Power F1 engine (880 Bhp, 19 050 RpM) in the back of another, newer and more technologically advanced Macca F1 succerssor.

Then we'll all die and goto heaven. Yes.....

TeflonTron
01-02-2004, 11:56 AM
The bottom line is that 1600kgs isn't that heavy. I mean, a Murcielago and Diablo both weigh more than 1600kgs, which is a real shame. I personally think that the Veyron is a vile chunk of machine, and I think that it lacks the soul, passion and spirit of the other Italian companies.

asthenia
01-02-2004, 09:24 PM
I think the low center of gravity and huge tire size will be enough to make up for the weight, as handling goes. It's not like the owners will be thrashing it around an autocross though, it's just too much. It's the kind of thing you take out on the highway with your brother in-law strapped into the passenger seat, and say "watch this..." --- you just don't race a car like this.

What worries me is that maybe it's *too* fast. When the boost kicks in, you've got about five seconds between a dead stop, and flipping it 4 times in the air. Scary.

jpatino03
01-02-2004, 11:57 PM
I was talking to my friends about it today and he mentioned that it looks like something that would come out of someone's ass. The more I look at it now, the more it starts to look like a fast turd on wheels. :lol:

BADMIHAI
01-03-2004, 12:13 AM
The Veyron is a beauty! I would get one in a second, if I could. The 4 turbos kick in one after the other, so there is almost nu turbo lag. Of course, you would expect that a 8L. W16engine ,even with a big turbo wouldn't have much lag. It's a sick car.

TeflonTron
01-03-2004, 11:36 AM
It may well be fast, but it leaves me cold with its lack of soul, and passion is what cars are all about.