PDA

View Full Version : Subaru B9 Scrambler

stradale
10-21-2003, 08:44 AM
This is a Subaru proto, which could indicate what the next Impreza could look like. Zapatinas has to try harder I think. I know he can do it. More info below the pictures.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/picture_library/dir_24/car_portal_pic_12040.jpg?9445
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/picture_library/dir_24/car_portal_pic_12041.jpg?7167

Subaru Lifts Lid On Impreza Roadster

The boxy bodywork is heading for the history books - Subaru has unveiled this stunning roadster, which is design-ed to match the dynamics of the legendary Impreza with a great new look.

The two-seater is the most powerful indication yet as to where the company's design department is heading. Inspired by the radical B11S, unveiled at this year's Geneva Motor Show, and inheriting a grille reminiscent of Alfas from more than 40 years ago, the B9 Scrambler is the first complete prototype to be penned under the guidance of former Alfa Romeo chief designer Andreas Zapatinas. A coincidence?

Subaru won't be drawn, but styling hints from European car makers are becoming big news at the Japanese company, where bosses are keen to establish a strong reputation for product design. As if to drive the point home, the car to be unveiled at next week's Tokyo Motor Show comes with an iridescent windscreen to reflect all the colours of the rainbow in sunlight.

Drawing on the technology of the Impreza, the 4WD B9 is powered by Subaru's first-ever petrol/electric hybrid engine. This features a four-cylinder boxer unit as well as newly developed SSHEV (Sequential Series Hybrid Electric Vehicle) technology.

Unlike conventional hybrid engines, where the petrol unit drives the car and the motor kicks in as required, SSHEV allows the vehicle to run on its electric powerpack alone up to around 50mph. However, when the battery charge falls below a certain level, the petrol engine will engage to recharge it.
Measuring 4.20 metres long, 1.88 metres wide and 1.26 metres high, the Scrambler sits on huge 225/55R/19 run-flat tyres. The 2.0-litre boxer unit produces 136bhp at 5,600rpm and 186Nm of torque at 4,400rpm. There's no word on when the car is likely to hit the road, but Subaru engineers say they are keen to gauge public opinion. If the B9 is well received, it could be built within four years.

Extra support will come from General Motors, which owns a stake in Subaru. Having axed the VX Lightning project, GM is developing a platform on which to base a family of new roadsters, including a successor to the Vauxhall VX220 and Saab Sonnet sports car.

chest3r
10-21-2003, 05:56 PM
Subaru is gonna change the image of the cars. We'll see if impreza will change for better or worst. Those photos are cool, but.....nothing very good

novass
10-22-2003, 01:26 AM
this is gonna be the new Impreza?! with a hybrid engine!? i hope not, i like the boxy shape the Impreza has now. this isnt too bad of a car, but i hope it doesnt take the place of the Impreza.

the Impreza, mostly the WRX and STi, is the only good car Subaru has right now IMO. the Forester with the turbo is pretty quick, but like the rest of the Scoobies, minus Impreza, they seem to be butch lesbian cars. seriously, at least here anyway, both my roomates work for a Subaru dealer and thats what they tell me, if its not a WRX, its a lesbian driving.

stradale
10-22-2003, 05:20 AM
This is a concept car, novass. On the new Impreza will probably be some similar lines, depending on the reactions of the Tokyo show's audience and the press, but it won't be exactly like this. I don't think it will have a hybrid engine either.

novass
10-22-2003, 05:28 AM
This is a concept car, novass. On the new Impreza will probably be some similar lines, depending on the reactions of the Tokyo show's audience and the press, but it won't be exactly like this. I don't think it will have a hybrid engine either.

thank god! i dont like that design very much

draak666
10-22-2003, 05:02 PM
Let's hope it will never make it into production. :shock:

BADMIHAI
10-22-2003, 05:39 PM
Just because a car is very, very ugly, doesn't mean it won't make it into production. Look at the Cavalier, Sunfire, Malibu, PT Cruiser, Toyota Echo and so on. They look worse than the Scrambler, and they're still in production.

hemi_fan
10-23-2003, 04:58 PM
that car doesnt look like it will be much of a performer. Wheel base is really short, and it looks kinda awkward.