PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like Star Trek in your car

stradale
10-21-2003, 08:29 AM
I guess there's no fun in this, but it's interesting. Damnit, that would really make cars dull... :(

Eddy's Ready To Ditch Discs

It's all over for brake pads and discs. Scientists have invented an amazing 'contactless' braking system that uses invisible magnetic forces to bring your car to a halt. What's more, it's set to revolutionise motoring, as in theory it can be used to power the wheel, too.

The system is known as 'eddy current braking', and it has already proved reliable on rollercoasters around the world for the past 20 years. "The advantage is that there are no moving parts to break down or pads to wear out," said Dr Mark Thompson, an expert from Harvard University, USA. He built the eddy current brakes for the Jurassic Park ride at Universal Studios.

But now US component giant Visteon has patented a design that could be used on cars. The key part is a metal collar that goes around the axle behind the wheel, fixed to the frame of the vehicle. The collar has a series of protrusions sticking out of it. Coils of wire are wrapped tightly around each of these, so when an electrical current is passed through them, a magnetic field is created around the axle.

If the force is strong enough, it can stop the axle spinning. Working in reverse, it's even capable of starting the wheel moving again. John Stubbs, head of technology at the AA Motoring Trust, told us: "It's a good solution because everything that uses friction is bound to wear out sooner or later. This will be one less maintenance operation."

Motorists will still push the middle pedal to slow down, and Visteon's system also features a normal brake for emergencies in case the electrics fail.

FoxFour
10-29-2003, 09:03 PM
There is a dyno company, Mustang Dynometers http://mustangdyne.com/ that makes a chassis dyno using the 'eddy current' technology that you are talking about. It creates enough friction on the rollers to mimic the ground friction that a car's tires experiences when it's in motion. Other dyno manufacturer's just have the rollers spin freely while the car is powering up, that is why the Mustang dyno #'s are lower than that of, say; the Dynojet, which does not use the eddy current principle. This eddy current dyno makes it easier for a tuner to modify a cars performance parameters because the car is experiencing a simulated run on a real world road. I hope that I made some sense. Check out their site.[/url]

Sinister Angel
10-30-2003, 02:43 AM
No shit

Nice having a Cobra owner on here

WilliamsF1
10-30-2003, 03:56 AM
hmmm, I have a question for such a system though.

now, if you were to implement such a system into the cars of today, wouldn't you need to carry around huge batteries to sustain enough power to the brakes? since when you're trying to stop, the engine (I'm guessing) probably won't generate high RPMs, due to the lack of power/RPMs, the alternator won't be spinning that fast either.

because, you know. I don't want to have to know that the car won't start one morning because the brakes drained my battery. :)

FoxFour
10-30-2003, 05:43 AM
No shit

Nice having a Cobra owner on here

Thank you.
Regarding the amount of power required to operate this system in a modern car, I guess that advanced development would address the packaging and power requirements. Also, this type of system would only be equipped on vehicles with the new 14 volt system. To stop a car, especially todays vehicles; which have many components that rely on electrical power, would require one hell of a charging system.