PDA

View Full Version : Scale models noob :|

antonioledesma
02-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Hi to all... well as the title can give some details, I'm thinking in buying scale models.
At 10-11 I bought a f40 from bburago, unfortunately it lost a wheel and then dissapeared (I suspect that a maid's kid took it)

From then I didn't buyed more cars, just a couple of hotwheels and some matchboxs. 2 years ago I saw in a sale a ford focus wrc from burago 1/18 (the last Sainz and Mcrae drove), but then you know, the girlfriend, booze, concerts, etc just made me spend all my money.
And a year ago I bought a hotwheels tvr speed 12 1/18 at a flea market

Ok, now all that shit is because I wanna know which are the best models, brands, etc.
I only know burago, maisto and exoto. In this forum I've read autoart, kyosho, minichamps, ixo, etc
As you can read I'm a complete newbie and could you give a "guide" to know the best brands, specialities of each brand, etc?
please?

dingo
02-04-2005, 08:12 PM
If your interested in 1:18 then Autoart and Kyosho are the best way to go IMO, however Kyosho makes a few of the older Ferraris and AA doesn't make any as far as I know :( If you look at some of the pics we have posted you can see the difference in quality between these 2 and HW or Maisto.
However if you want Ferrari's then you have to make do with mainly Maisto or HW - some of which are not too bad :D

gis
02-04-2005, 08:23 PM
as dingo said the best to go for in 1:18 is auto art and kyosho and also minichamps is another well known one,that goes for the 1:43 scale aswell with the exceptions of BBR and red line which have a few limited edition ones that gof or a lot more :)

dingo
02-04-2005, 08:30 PM
oh yeah how could I forget Minichamps :oops: , my favourite model is made by them (my sexy red M3 GTR) :D

gis
02-04-2005, 08:33 PM
not far behind is my sexy silver M3 GTR,lol

antonioledesma
02-04-2005, 09:49 PM
so, for the models that I know, the worst is Maisto (I've wanted to buy 2 or 3 cars, but the quality is baaaad)

I'm looking for 1/18, but of course if a 1/12, 1/43 etc is gorgeous I would buy it.

Now that I'm "working" with my dad, I should have more money and the list of brands should be this?:

kyosho, autoart, minichamps and...?

btw,thanks a lot

gis
02-05-2005, 02:56 AM
those 3 brands are what to look out for mainly,plus if you find one of the cheaper brands,hot wheels is one to go for IMO,alright models for half the price or even cheaper.but if its the high end models your only after then auto art,kyosho and minichamps....you wont go wrong with any of those :D

Chaos in 1983!
02-05-2005, 03:00 AM
What alternative to Hot Wheels is there for Ferrari??? I would love to get a good 250 GTO or something like that...

antonioledesma
02-05-2005, 03:04 AM
shiteee!!, forgot to ask, here I only know a store that has autoart, kyosho, etc. and it's somewhat expensive, I think.
For example a Ford mustang gt 68 millenium (that says in the page) goes for us$100
is this price correct? are they selling it too expensive?
http://www.autoescala.com/autoescala/autoart/72801AA.jpg

What alternative to Hot Wheels is there for Ferrari??? I would love to get a good 250 GTO or something like that...

I've seen some ferraris from burago, sometimes have nice cars

dingo
02-05-2005, 03:43 AM

There is Bburago but I don't really like them that much (similar if not worse then HW imo), and Kyosho make a few of the older Ferraris (308,328, 512BB, 365....) but I'm not sure about the 250GTO :?

shiteee!!, forgot to ask, here I only know a store that has autoart, kyosho, etc. and it's somewhat expensive, I think.
For example a Ford mustang gt 68 millenium (that says in the page) goes for us$100

US$100 sounds expensive for a AA or Kyosho model, here they generally sell between 60-70 USD.....but that Mustang could be a rare/special model perhaps. What is the average price of the AA models, say the Lambos or Porsches?

gis
02-05-2005, 07:29 AM
There is Bburago but I don't really like them that much (similar if not worse then HW imo), and Kyosho make a few of the older Ferraris (308,328, 512BB, 365....) but I'm not sure about the 250GTO :?

Bburago suck IMO,they arent bad like hot wheels though,if you want to buy the cheaper models then hot wheels is the one to go for IMO,the Bburago model i have i wish i hadnt bought it,the outer body isnt metal were as hot wheels are. :)

antonioledesma
02-05-2005, 12:58 PM

US$100 sounds expensive for a AA or Kyosho model, here they generally sell between 60-70 USD.....but that Mustang could be a rare/special model perhaps. What is the average price of the AA models, say the Lambos or Porsches?

mm, the common cars, sell for.. 1000 mexican pesos, and that is...lemme find my calculator something like 80 bucks, of course those cars are on sale

Eric
02-05-2005, 01:58 PM
The Hotwheels Ferrari 250 GTO is much nicer than Burago version and harder to find now. If you can find a HWs 250 GTO at your local hobby store I suggest getting it.

Exoto claims that they will be making the Ferrari 250 GTO in the future, but I have no idea when or if they will ever release it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Exotic118/My%20Ferraris/250%20GTO/Ferrari_250gto_red-02.jpg

Pwoarrr
02-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Hmmm let's see, stay away from hotwheels, bburago, and jada....their all crap.
Maistos are okay, good bang-for-the-buck models.
I really like UT (company has folded, so finding them may be hard), Autoart, and Minichamps.
Kyoshos can vary, some are great, others aren't so good (especially some of their MBs).
CMC and Exoto are pretty much as good as it gets, but you need serious $$ for those!

Hope that helped. 8)

Chaos in 1983!
02-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Agh exoto is a bit out of my range...300 bucks for a scale model is too much IMO...but an AutoArt or Kyosho I can afford...

I've heard of Bburago before, I have their 1957 250 Testa Rosa...the outer body is pretty good, interior sucks ass...

So I'm stuck with Hot Wheels...hey Eric, can you take some more pics of your 250GTO, your's is Hot Wheels right?

TT
02-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Another Hotwheels 250 GTO is this racing version.. the only Hot wheels model I dared to buy (I'd rather buy less models but better ones ;))

http://img29.exs.cx/img29/1396/250gto00.jpg

antonioledesma
02-05-2005, 03:56 PM
^^ never saw that hotwheels :? I would have buyed it without thinking

with my low salary I would have to stick with burago and hotwheels. Maisto I could buy a couple.
with kyosho and autoart I'll have to save up a little.

Eric
02-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Yes, mine is the Hotwheels version. Here's a few more pics. :)

Feel free to check out my diecast website for more pics. Exotic118.com (http://www.exotic118.com)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Exotic118/My%20Ferraris/250%20GTO/Ferrari_250gto_red-01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Exotic118/My%20Ferraris/250%20GTO/Ferrari_250gto_red-03.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Exotic118/My%20Ferraris/250%20GTO/Ferrari_250gto_red-04.jpg

dingo
02-06-2005, 05:13 AM
Hmmm let's see, stay away from hotwheels, bburago, and jada....their all crap.
Maistos are okay, good bang-for-the-buck models.
I really like UT (company has folded, so finding them may be hard), Autoart, and Minichamps.
Kyoshos can vary, some are great, others aren't so good (especially some of their MBs).
CMC and Exoto are pretty much as good as it gets, but you need serious $$ for those!

Hope that helped. 8)

I wouldn't say the HW models are crap, thats being a bit harsh.....but obviously they are not as good as AA or Kyosho. However if you want certain Ferrari models they are basically the only choice so thats why they are recommended sometimes :wink:

Pwoarrr
02-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Dingo you've got a point, only certain ferrari models are produced by HW...them and their stupid ferrari contract!!

Personally, I have not been impressed by the ferrari models by HW (especially the Challenge Stradale, was really dissapointed by that one), the only exception would only be the 288 GTO. I really hope they can pull together a better effort for the F430.