Mopsdrops
01-31-2005, 08:41 AM
woaw, thanks friend. looks like a nice post, and a big file, hope it's good :D

a007apl
01-31-2005, 08:45 AM
:mrgreen:

Mopsdrops
01-31-2005, 08:48 AM
hehe, what was the problem with that guy in the GT3 at the end ? he just drived straight and crashed a bit, nice end . thx for the vid !!

|Nuno|
01-31-2005, 09:16 AM
Thanks, nice vid. :D

The guy in the GT3 was trying to overtake the Lambo on that corner, since he couldn't do it on the straights, but entered the corner way too fast...

You can see that the dude in the Lambo brakes quite a bit for that corner, 'cause he knew the road (lots of crashes happen on that sandy corner) and with the AWD he got away... The guy in the GT3, on the other hand... BANG!

It's quite unusual to see a GT3 understeering... And damn, that music was annoying!

adamwich
01-31-2005, 09:21 AM
Really cool movie!

findleybeast
01-31-2005, 01:02 PM
great video. they are going seriously fast on those roads. the end was... depressing

stradale
01-31-2005, 01:40 PM
Spectacular video, but the end was rather painful. As I watched it for the first time I winced and said "Ouch" out loud when it became clear he wasn't going to make it through the corner. LOL

I don't really agree with Nuno's view of what happened. It didn't look like the GT3 was planning to overtake. He was too far behind. It was just bad judgement. The corner was tightening and the driver of the GT3 clearly assessed it wrong. The road was very dusty, which would explain the understeer when trying to enter the corner.
The Gallardo's VT system had nothing to do with why it went through fine. The driver simply carried less pace into the corner because he braked a little more. The VT system makes the Gallardo RWD under normal circumstances and it only sends torque to the front wheels when it senses loss of grip at the rear. If the Gallardo driver had done the same thing as the driver of the GT3, power to the front wheels wouldn't have helped.

szumszer
02-01-2005, 05:16 PM
looks so bad at the end, damn, gt3 is an awesome car ... he certainly did not take the corner too fast (at most he was going 100 km/h), understeer also would not fully explain what happened (it just does not look like understeer and a gt3 would not understeer through such a wide corner at so minimal speed), i think the problem was that he was the driver of that car and not someone else, he clearly took it too wide (almost as if he fell asleep or something), but was not trying to correct the path at all (there is no effort made to avoid the curb, it is almost as if he went into the corner too wide and got scared and froze while the car hit the curb); i think he just fucked up, that's all ... can't blame the car, the road or speed in this one ...

|Nuno|
02-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Spectacular video, but the end was rather painful. As I watched it for the first time I winced and said "Ouch" out loud when it became clear he wasn't going to make it through the corner. LOL

I don't really agree with Nuno's view of what happened. It didn't look like the GT3 was planning to overtake. He was too far behind. It was just bad judgement. The corner was tightening and the driver of the GT3 clearly assessed it wrong. The road was very dusty, which would explain the understeer when trying to enter the corner.
The Gallardo's VT system had nothing to do with why it went through fine. The driver simply carried less pace into the corner because he braked a little more. The VT system makes the Gallardo RWD under normal circumstances and it only sends torque to the front wheels when it senses loss of grip at the rear. If the Gallardo driver had done the same thing as the driver of the GT3, power to the front wheels wouldn't have helped.

Are you sure about the AWD system? I've read in several mags that the normal power distribution is 70% rear - 30% front.

Anyway, the damage wasn't that bad:

http://img121.exs.cx/img121/4212/picture1766eb.th.jpg (http://img121.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img121&image=picture1766eb.jpg)

02-01-2005, 08:39 PM
hope he got a spare wheel

L140_L147
02-01-2005, 08:44 PM
. The VT system makes the Gallardo RWD under normal circumstances and it only sends torque to the front wheels when it senses loss of grip at the rear. .

staight from lambocars.com

V-10 90 degree, 18 degree crankpin offset, light-alloy block, mid mounted (longitudal), permantent four-wheel drive with viscous traction system

and on lamborghini.ca they say its 30%/70% normal and when accerlating goes to 80% rear then sends power right away to front cause of rear tires slipping.

CSedl87
02-02-2005, 01:14 AM
The GT3 understeered b/c of sand/dust on the road. If you goto their site and read their journal of 2004, you'll read what happened.

SilviaEvo
02-02-2005, 01:42 AM
damage only to the wheel as it seems so not very hard to fix and that GT3 is futily trying to overtake the Lambo when will he learn its not going to happen?

SPEEDCORE
02-02-2005, 01:49 AM
The damage wasnt that bad. He must of been preving at something :P

stradale
02-02-2005, 06:57 PM
. The VT system makes the Gallardo RWD under normal circumstances and it only sends torque to the front wheels when it senses loss of grip at the rear. .

staight from lambocars.com

V-10 90 degree, 18 degree crankpin offset, light-alloy block, mid mounted (longitudal), permantent four-wheel drive with viscous traction system

and on lamborghini.ca they say its 30%/70% normal and when accerlating goes to 80% rear then sends power right away to front cause of rear tires slipping.

You're right. Thanks for correcting me. I confused it with the Diablo's VT system.

My theory on the accident is not affected by it, though. Unless someone comes along and proves me wrong again, that is. LOL

Anyway, the damage wasn't that bad

Well, it was not as insignificant as it looks in the picture. In the video you can see that after it happened, the car moved across the road like a crab. Here's what the drivers say about it.

Game Over

We duelled each other with the black Gallardo which was very impressive, until it unfortunately happened to us, too:
In a podunk we considered the fact that there was sand on the road too optimistic and hit a curb stone very unfortunate. It's a miracle that there actually are curb stones in Morocco. It is always like that, when you don't need one there always is one. This curb stone bent the back steering link and the suspension so badly, that the steering wheel stood 45 degrees to the right if you wanted to drive straight. One thing was set: We must get the car to Fez, because leaving it in the middle of the desert is not going to happen, and in Fez we can think about what we are going to do with the car.

Fez

1255 hrs - After about 40km we arrived at the checkpoint. Driving the GT3 was its own adventure, we drove onto a puddle and the car went sideways immediately, we were close to damaging the car even more. Actually it was nearly impossible to drive the car, but we could not leave it.
When we arrived in Fez I had some quick lunch while Nitro was trying to find a solution on what to do with the car. Porsche and Morocco, no chance. So we had to get the car out of Africa no matter how much it will cost. There were still 350 km ahead of us with this scrap heap to reach the ferry in Nardor. That was another adventure with the car.