PDA

View Full Version : RIP Jonny

blinkmeat
01-23-2005, 06:39 PM
For those who haven't heard Johnny Carson died today. I never even saw a show of his, but if you're able to inspire the likes of Letterman and Leno than you must be doing something right.

May he Rest in Peace

ZfrkS62
01-23-2005, 06:45 PM
aww, dammit. TV loses yet another historic personality. RIP Johnny :(

FoxFour
01-23-2005, 08:06 PM
I remember the first time I was allowed to stay up late to watch Johnny. I was like 'Wow, so this is what it's like to be an adult' I was watching Fox News when they were interviewing friends of his. First one I hear is Soupy Sales and it sounds to me like he was dumbstruck about Johnny's death and then I realized it, this guy is really old now and he isn't dumbstruck, he's frail and all his faculties just aren't there. This guys gonna go next. Next up was comedian Jackie Mason. Man, that guy talked and talked, but he had a lot of info about the man Johhny Carson, the things that he told him off stage and such.

Vansquish
01-23-2005, 08:09 PM
RIP indeed...Johnny had the sort of class and sudden, unpredictable wit that Letterman, Leno and the rest of their modern compatriots are lacking. My grandpa recorded the last 3 or 4 shows that Johnny aired and those are the only ones I've really gotten to see, I've never laughed so hard about anything else.

FoxFour
01-23-2005, 08:34 PM
He died of emphysema. Isn't that usually the result of smoking cigarettes? I remembered when he smoked but I thought maybe after retirement he would quit. Man, my grandfather died from that and he suffered to his last dying breath. Jackie
Mason said that about 6 months prior to his death he was fortunate enough to talk to him on the phone. At that time Johnny was a bit of a recluse and did not really talk to anyone, much less someone on the phone. He said that according to his conversation with him that Jackie knew from the way he was talking that something was up. The way that he was talking to him was like it was the last time he was going to hear from him. He said that life was good and when Jackie pressed on a little he said again that nothing was wrong.

komotar
01-24-2005, 04:03 AM
He was a living legend.

Defined comedy as we know it in some ways.

RIP