PDA

View Full Version : iPod for cars?..

Johns
10-12-2003, 10:42 PM
can someone give me more info on how to hook up the iPod to your car, and is it worth it to have one? :)

stracing
10-13-2003, 04:40 AM
just get one of those cassette thingys...lost for words at the moment
it'll play thru your cassette player assuming you do have one

or do you mean permanently hooked up to your car?

gmd97
10-13-2003, 09:27 PM
my car cd player was stolen over a year ago, and as just a temporary solution i put in the original tape deck and used my discman with a car-kit. the sound quality was fine, and its easy to hide when parking, so i just left it in.

im sure it would be even better with an ipod.

Johns
10-13-2003, 10:03 PM
yea, I want ipod becuase it holds about 6000 songs :shock: but im new at it so I dont know alot of info on it :? tommy lee has one on his SL500, its sweeet.
http://www.jabbasworld.net/photopost/data/500/128dsc03440_1_.jpg

initiala4
10-13-2003, 10:27 PM
I've seen it done in an Audi....I think they got some sort of wire...forgot whats its called..

AlienDB7
10-13-2003, 10:43 PM
Some head units have line-in so you can connect something like a mp3 player to it. If not, just get a cassette adapter. Personally, I would go for a mp3cd unit instead. The ipod has a HD in it, you never know what can happen to it with the vibration in your car. You don't want to kill the HD when you're driving on bumpy road.

Apac102
01-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Go here: www.mp3yourcar.com

its a bit pricey, but it suppose to sound great. Im also pretty sure you can just buy a cable or something that you just plug in the back of your radio.

mindgam3
01-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Or you could buy one of these:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/72301/wo/fo6zWwi0FGwr2q1o3Gs1RawAnQD/1.0.0.11.1.0.6.9.19.0.1.0.1.1.1.1.0.3

just plug it in and tune your radio to its frequency

It's fine for most applications contrary to some bad reviews (at least the mk I anyway)...

Havent had any personal experience of it being used in *substantial* sound systems though, no wires and only $40 though, cant really go wrong ;)

STiInYourEye
01-30-2005, 04:26 PM
I have been using my iPod in my car for a couple of years using different methods. Just using a cassette adaptor is fine if you still have a cassette player. The FM transmitter isn't great because the sound quality varies with radio reception, and you may have to change your radio frequency if you travel to an area that broadcasts a real radio station over that frequency. If you are looking for a new head unit, Alpine makes an adaptor for their new head units that lets you connect your iPod directly to it. This is what I have now and I love it. I keep my iPod in my glove box and have the adaptor wire running behind it, so there are no wires exposed. The best part about the Alpine adaptor is that you can control your iPod through the head unit buttons. Your songs and playlists appear on the head unit screen and you can scrool through them and select songs without ever having to deal with the actual iPod while you are driving. The adaptor even charges the iPod's battery. This setup also delivers great sound quality. If you couldn't tell, I love my Alpine setup and think that this is by far the best (although the priciest) way to enjoy your iPod inthe car.

findleybeast
01-30-2005, 07:57 PM
There are other options too. If you're looking for a real, integrated connection with a stock radio I'd look into the Dension ICELink. You can actually use your steeringwheel controls etc to change songs and the lot. Its a bit pricey I think, but if you want a truly integrated system with great sound quality (better than tape adapter or FM transmitter) its worth it.

ikon2003
01-30-2005, 09:18 PM
From the Aftermarket perspective, Alpine Audio was one of the innovators of hooking up iPods to cars, and they've got some pretty nice stuff on the market for that purpose. You not only get the high quality head unit (cd/radio) player that Alpine is known for, but the easy iPod hookup. I would recommend if you can afford. (400USD + or -).

jaycee
01-31-2005, 05:23 AM
I use the iPod in the GTO.

The installation cost me around £10.

The Blaupunkt headunit has a two Aux inputs as well as an input for CD-Changer. So it was just a matter of buying an Aux Input to Jack plug connector.

Mount the iPod using some form of mobile phone holder and away you go. Much more useful than a CD Changer IMO.

Justin

acs power
01-31-2005, 10:27 AM
The BMW iPod adapter can be installed in 2002 or later 3 Series, X3 and X5 SAVs, and Z4 Roadsters.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/bmw/

findleybeast
01-31-2005, 11:04 AM
Aux inputs are a nice cheap way to go, but the head unit you have has to support it. So unless he already has a headunit that has an aux in, it's really not as cheap as you'd think. Problem with them though is that the iPod isn't actually integrated... you still need to use the iPod itself to change songs etc. The Alpine head units, the Dension adapter, and the BMW adapters all allow integration and control of the iPod through the stereo controls.

dutchmasterflex
01-31-2005, 11:50 AM
new alpine headunits have ipod capabilities.. bmw has a new ipod connection option... i personally do not like the FM transmitters because the quality isnt all to good(only as good as radio).. a cassette adapter is the way to go if you just have tape deck..

sndr
01-31-2005, 02:44 PM
Well a friend of mine has it on his alfa 147 but it doesn't work really good you need to reset it often because it jams alot. and sometimes it doesn't work at all. :(