PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

ae86_16v
12-18-2004, 01:50 AM
Damn, just finished it. By far it is one of the best games/movies I have ever played/watch.

The story line is just incredible.

possessed_beaver
12-19-2004, 12:04 AM
is it a game/story where there is a possability of different endings, depending on how you play ect.?

ae86_16v
12-19-2004, 06:36 AM
No not really, it is pretty linear.

Mers
12-19-2004, 10:38 AM
is it a game/story where there is a possability of different endings, depending on how you play ect.?

I believe MGS 1 was like that....also a very very good game...
You gotta play them all to understand the story, but it beats many movie storylines!!

ae86_16v
12-19-2004, 07:08 PM

I believe MGS 1 was like that....also a very very good game...
You gotta play them all to understand the story, but it beats many movie storylines!!

Yeah exactly how I felt, that this was way better than many many movies. But the thing is that it helps if you understand or played the other games, but this in itself was really good.

Actually in MGS1, it was pretty linear too, it really didn't matter who you saved because in the end Otacon is still alive.

SnakeBitten
12-19-2004, 09:39 PM
I agree...Excellent interactive movie...Just wish it was more realistic...I mean..come on...people inhaling RPG missiles and shotgun blasts and still coming after you.....ridiculous...But I like the game alot.....

Try playing it on EXTREME....pretty easy until you get to Volgin's punk ass....Jezuz...You dont realize how bad the control is till you play on this level...I lost count how many times I died because the idiot decided to crawl instead of roll or just too plain slow to avoid anything remotely as fast as molasses...Had to take a break....Metroid Prime 2 is distracting me right now...What a game..

oantob
12-23-2004, 02:07 AM
Great Game indeed!...but I think solid snake should look much younger, because in the game he looks almost similiar to MGS-2...I was hoping to see like solid snake on MGS-1 but younger...
Anybody knows how to get the crocodile camouflage? cause my friends tells me that he have it? but my guess he's lying :|

ae86_16v
12-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Great Game indeed!...but I think solid snake should look much younger, because in the game he looks almost similiar to MGS-2...I was hoping to see like solid snake on MGS-1 but younger...
Anybody knows how to get the crocodile camouflage? cause my friends tells me that he have it? but my guess he's lying :|

Don't read if you haven't played the game!!!

**********SPOILER**********

The character in the MGS3 isn't "Solid Snake", but instead he is "Solid Snake's" father. Which later turned out that this Snake and the Snake in the later games are one in the same because they are clones.

At the end of the game, you receive the title as Big Boss, remember in the original Nintendo games the main enemy was Big Boss. Later in the Playstation and Playstation 2 games (MGS 1 and MGS 2) you found out that you were actually a clone of Big Boss. Three clones: Solid, Snake, and Solidus.

sheruken
12-27-2004, 07:52 AM
Three Clones : Solid, Liquid and Solidus! :p
Anyway ae86_16v, You seem to know a lot about MGS series..
Now I've played MGS1 (on PSX), MGS2:SoL (on PS2) and almost halfway thru MGS3:Snake Eater (on PS2). Allthough I have heard of the one b4 MGS1, but never played it. Now what I want to know is, if not too much trouble, can you just give an Overview of MGS1 and MGS2 (with the logical explanation to the end of MGS2) which was a little confusing, I played that way back in 2001 or something. I'd really love to hear the story all over again, but then that would be asking for too much from you ;) ..

ae86_16v
12-30-2004, 12:49 AM
sheruken, finish the game first. Don't want to ruin the experience for you.

No problem, but I am going to be lazy because someone else did the work for me already. Check out this site, go down to Previous Stories. It covers it pretty nicely.

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/metal_gear_solid_3_b.txt

sheruken
12-30-2004, 10:14 AM
Thanks Dude, 8)
Checking that site now :D . Just finished MGS3. Without a doubt the best game/movie ever played/watched. Everything from Storyline, Cinamatics, Music, Styling, Direction to Characterization (if theres such a word), is just BRILLIANT. I thought MGS1 was awesome but this (MGS3) has surpassed that by a long way..

-----------Dont read if you've not completed the game and are intending to-------

I have a few Lame questions about this game though..
Few videos that I'd seen b4 the release of the game, were no where in the game. Like for egs, I'd seen Snake sneak around in the jungle and end up to this guy on a Bike with a Side car. When snake tries to stall him, this guy says something on the lines of "What is this, a GTA?" or something and then goes away leaving snake the smoke of his bike.
Then another video was where Snake wears this Crocodile head and swims inside the lake with just the Croc head over the lake water scaring the shit out of the soldiers guarding the area.
Then another where Snake (while in the prison) talks very emotionally with this guard, what I did was take a fake death pill and reviving technique, and killed the guard when he came inside to check, never had any emotional time with him, it was instead brutal.
Then this scene where Snake is followed by too many GreatDanes and where he jumps of the cliff to avoid them (with water fall in the background). Though there was one video where Ocelot tries to kill us and snake jumps in a very similar fashion to avoid the bullet instead of the DOGs, but thats not what I am talking about.
Few other videos in the game were missing than from what I'd seen in the initial trailers...
Just curious if I did things wrong or something to skip all these videos?

Though I think most of em will be answered in the FAQs you've given.. But will be great if you can tell me a bit too.. :P
Thanks.

ae86_16v
01-03-2005, 02:38 AM
No problem, umm, don't know about the first one. All I remember seeing in the trailers is him w/ Eva blasting around the base in the motorcycle and the side car.

The Croc hat/mask you could get at the swamp, see FAQ, it gives a detail discription of it.

The screen w/ Snake and Johnny (the guard), what you gotta do is to when he toss you the Food/Ration, toss it back out, (you don't want to eat it anyways), he'll toss it to you again, and you'll throw it back. Do it a few times, that'll trigger the scene.

Another cool scene is in the prison, don't take out the transponder that is in your shoulder, keep it there. There will be an extra scene behind the waterfall w/ Eva.

As far as the other one, I am not sure what you are refering too.

DeMoN
01-03-2005, 03:39 AM
i have not even played the first. Not even seen someone play it... the 1st one is bad right?

Can you play 2 and 3 without playing 1? are they all for ps2?

sheruken
01-03-2005, 05:25 AM
i have not even played the first. Not even seen someone play it... the 1st one is bad right?

Can you play 2 and 3 without playing 1? are they all for ps2?

Before I played Snake Eater (3rd one), I considered the First one as the Best Story based game I've ever played. Then When I played the second I was (on the first try) disgusted with it. Hated it due to Raiden (being our main character and not Snake). But then I played a few more times (the whole game) and I liked it, but still it couldnt touch the story and gameplay of the First (Metal Gear Solid).

Metal Gear Solid (also Metal Gear : Twin Snakes on Game Cube) was released on PC too and Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty was released on PC and on Xbox as Substance (it had a few more extra features, like u can play with Solid Snake through out the game), but it didnt make much of a sence though. Coz the Game was same.

I really recommend playing MGS1 or MGS: Twin Snakes on GC, its just one of those games that every gamer should experience/play/watch once... If you've played MGS1, MGS3 will make a lot more sence even though its based in an era b4 MGS1.

And as far as this question goes : Can you play 2 and 3 without playing 1?,
Its like this... In MGS2, you see Solid Snake from Raidens Perspective. Raiden looks up to him, respects him, depends on him, learns from him etc. Its like Solid Snake is a Legand. And THAT is because of what he did in MGS1. So if you've played MGS1. MGS2 will be of much more importance to you, than if you play it directly without playing 1. But eventually its the Director of the Game, Hideo Kojima who's made all these 3 games special. And all games have an essence of originality to the theme of MGS. And if you like John Woo movies (where theres too much styling and "GUN PLAY" then you'll thoroughly enjoy all three games even if you dont focus on the storyline.

Hope I managed to help you and not confuse u more.. :P

DeMoN
01-03-2005, 11:29 AM
When I get my PS2 ill get all three of them.

Another thing, I have not played any as you know so do you think its better for me to get the PC version or is it better for PS?

DeMoN
01-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Do you mind also telling me WTF is up with all these:

Metal Gear Solid VR Missions PS 8.3
Metal Gear Solid Integral PS 9.0
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance PS2 7.5
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty PS2 9.6

sheruken
01-03-2005, 12:41 PM
When I get my PS2 ill get all three of them.

Another thing, I have not played any as you know so do you think its better for me to get the PC version or is it better for PS?

I havent played the PC version, but I've heard its got slightly better graphics than on PSone. Besides its completely on you, if you like controlling with Keyboard, then you shouldnt think 2wice b4 getting it. I would still suggest u play it on GameCube if you or any of ur friend has it, thats what I am gonna do to refresh my MGS1 memory, coz after playing the third it will make the exprience to be more interesing.

Do you mind also telling me WTF is up with all these:

Metal Gear Solid VR Missions PS 8.3
Metal Gear Solid Integral PS 9.0
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance PS2 7.5
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty PS2 9.6

I know about MGS VR Missios on PSone, it was just Virtual Reality Missions as in Training Missions. While playing MGS2, The main Character, Raiden, keeps saying he's done this and that in VR Missions but as his first real world mission it is more freaky than in VR. So basically VR Missions game will make you climatised to the controls of MGS which are at times hard to adjust to. But I dont recommend playing VR unless you're a HArdCore MGS fan (which u probably might become after playing MGS1 :P ).. And besides that, The 8.3, 9.0 etc etc are just GameSpot Score according to me, cant say for sure.
Dont know what : Metal Gear Solid Integral PS - this game is though, I think its Metal Gear Solid + The VR Missions Pack, probably, though cant guarentee..

ae86_16v
01-04-2005, 02:37 AM
Yeah, it looks like the numbers after the game means the rating.

Even if you haven't played the game, read the FAQ, the section about Previous stories, it covers it pretty well.

You will understand what happens in MSG3 a lot more.