PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2 Official Topic

T-Bird
11-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Well since my San Andreas topic was made official I figured I'd give it a shot.

I have been playing this game for about 2 hours and I must say it is amazing.

*SPOILER*
I tihk it's cool how there are 2 simultanious story lines that you play as both the Master Chief and as the Heritic Alien Covenant.
The graphics in the game are very well done and better than the first game.
The duel weapons are very convenient seeing as how the enemies are smarter and faster than they were in Halo and the new aliens are pretty sweet with the flying and what not.
I love how the vehicles actually take damage in the game now aswell.
The addition of the E-brake on the Warthog is a welcome addition.
The cut scenes are magnificent.
And it seems that the Halo isn't really fully destroyed either.

666fast
11-09-2004, 05:06 PM
I went to the store to get it, I had no idea where I sat in the pre-order que. I walk in and the place is deserted. Not good. The first thing they say to me is they have no copies of Halo 2 left! LOL
So, I find out I won't recieve my pre-order for at least two more weeks. I drove all over the place to find a copy. I never found one. None of the stores at the Mall OF America had it either.

I'm bummed. :|

T-Bird
11-09-2004, 05:26 PM
If your desperate try a Blockbuster they sell games and alot of people don't realise that.

pyre2099
11-09-2004, 10:59 PM
Hey, one of my friends got it today, so we spent like 3 hours or so playing it, great game, graphics are amazing, story is ok, weapons kick ass, thats about all I have to say, definately picking up a XBox from X-Mas, and Halo 1 and 2.

bmagni
11-10-2004, 12:44 AM
i was supposed to get mine today too.... but the game is in spanish- i mean all of it, the dialog, box, etc., so that sucks.... i mean i want the LE, with the box, manuals, etc in english, and a xbox representative told me it was coming like that but it didnt, so i had to return it, then buy one in the US, and now i have to wait till its shipped to Texas, then shipped here... ETA... at least one more week !!!! it sucks !!!!!

nthfinity
11-10-2004, 01:27 AM
i bought it last night at 1201am ! best soundtrack in a video game ever, great story line... (if anybody can make it to Lincoln Park, MI... the Meijer store there is having 25% off all video games, and they have tons of copies of Halo 2. ) ill be there all this week...

666fast
11-10-2004, 02:35 AM
If your desperate try a Blockbuster they sell games and alot of people don't realise that.

I went there, they were out!

But, I was chatting with gis and my friend showed up with a copy and said they had a bunch more. So I totally ditched Dan and went to a Best Buy store 45 minutes away and got a copy! YAY! LOL

So far it's great. My friend and I were doing the campiagn together for the hell of it. The story so far has been pretty good. And all the new features are pretty cool.

SPOILERS>>>>

The vehicles seem a bit more sluggish. The ghost and banshee seem slow compared to Halo 1. Of course, you have the booster dealy, which works, but you can't shoot while using it.
The tank is super duper slow! But it reloads the cannon much quicker.
The Banshee (thats teh one that flys right?) It doesn't haver by pushing down anymore. But the ability to do backflips and barrel rolls is pretty sweet.

The weapons are sweet. The new needler is actually worth picking up, especially if duel wielded with a machine gun.
I like the new battle rifle! The three shot burst is very effective with headshots. It also works well for those bastards with the shields. You can get them right in the little cutout.

Human sniper rifle is basically the same. The Covenant sniper rifle rocks. It's super accurate and powerfull. I had a lot of fun picking people off with it.
The machine gun is awesome. Especially when using two of them. I didn't even think about how it would affect you aiming when using it though. The reticule actually moves up from whatever you are shooting. So, if you just mash the triggers, you have to fight it to hit the target.
I love the ability to zoom in no matter what weapon you have. It's very helpfull.
Grenades are the same, but the explosions seems a bit smaller and you can't throw them nearly as far. I found out the hard way when I planted one on my friends head. I expected it to soar right over him! LOL

Dual wielding weapons is tricky at first, trying to switch weapons and stuff. Whatever the second weapon you have while holding two at once will be dropped if you switch guns. You also frop one if you get into a vehicle.
The Sword (aka noob stick) is pretty damn cool and super effective. You can kill just about anything in one swipe. It's very easy to use as well. It's almost a letdown, considering how easy it is to use. It's almost too effective! LOL
The Covenant seem much much smarter. They run and hide, not just sit in the open waiting to get killed. The rivalry in the ranks of the Covenant is funny to watch as well.

The graphics are great. I was amazed at how detailed everything is. Anyone elses Xbox make a lot of noise playing this game? Mine does, like it's constantly streaming stuff off the hard drive. I'm guessing this is pushiong the limit of what the Xbox is capable of.

We never even touched the multiplayer, but I expect it to be awesome.

SilviaEvo
11-10-2004, 02:37 AM
no one realizes the best place to buy games is at Fred Meyer i just came back from buying it it was all in stock. btw right now its 10:36 so yeah they didnt sell out and they over stock them so it might help to go there instead :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: im so damn happy but no time to play today i gotta wait until tomorrow to play! :P

T-Bird
11-10-2004, 02:42 AM
we had 2 LE's and 5 regulars when we closed at midnight tonight so there are still LE's out there. they made over 100 million USD today

SilviaEvo
11-10-2004, 03:45 AM
is the LE really worth it? cuz i didnt buy it and how much more does it cost?

TT
11-10-2004, 05:50 AM
Yes T-Bird, good idea.. always better to have a single topic for every top game at least ;)

gis
11-10-2004, 08:27 AM

I went there, they were out!

But, I was chatting with gis and my friend showed up with a copy and said they had a bunch more. So I totally ditched Dan and went to a Best Buy store 45 minutes away and got a copy! YAY! LOL

yeah you bastard..just left me sat there saying "tra lalalalalala" on the screen thinkin he had gone to the toilet or watching the simpsons.......but no..just ditched me :(

anyway,ill be goin for my copy at midnight 2nite like the shop did with GTA SA......i hate that,but if i want my copy and not wait weeks after its release i have to go,so ill post a review of what i think of it 2nite probably

gis
11-10-2004, 09:02 PM
well i was out there at midnight,i had the whole idea of not bothering and just comin straight home,drove past the store and saw the lights on and huge posters of master chief and thoguht no way i have to stop.so i got it YAY and the limited edition one aswell.

i was lookin at my receipt and saw sumthin funny,check out the name (cashier) of the dude who served me :lol:

http://img102.exs.cx/img102/1002/000_0726.th.jpg (http://img102.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img102&image=000_0726.jpg)

vexor
11-10-2004, 10:15 PM
I just can't put the game down...

yesterday, i got home from school at 3:30, played until 6:30, had to stop and do my hw and what's new on the JW forums :wink: , and then at 7:30 after a small meal, I kept playing until 11:00pm.

This game owns me....

bmagni
11-11-2004, 12:30 AM
i was lookin at my receipt and saw sumthin funny,check out the name (cashier) of the dude who served me

lol....
i cant wait for my copy !!!!

DeMoN
11-11-2004, 04:11 AM
I got no hurry, Ill wait for PC version and dload it off net. As for Half Life, ill buy that one!

Anile8er
11-11-2004, 07:36 AM
::Glitch::
(Kinda Cool But Not)

-=Extra Ammo with Dual-Wieldable Weapons=-

"First, have 2 dual-wieldable weapons (a Needler and an SMG for example), but don't have them out at the same time. The Needler being the one you want extra ammo with, have the SMG out and find another Needler to dual wield with it. Then, find yet another Needler and trade that with your SMG. You'll have 3 Needlers, and have 3x the ammo."

cho_888
11-11-2004, 04:43 PM
finished it yesterday, it is way to short in my opinion and the ending is a little inconclusive. Now the wait starts for halo 3...

666fast
11-11-2004, 04:53 PM
finished it yesterday, it is way to short in my opinion and the ending is a little inconclusive. Now the wait starts for halo 3...

Same here, I sat there in disbelief that I had beaten it so quickly. Time to crank it up to legendary and beat it again!

SilviaEvo
11-11-2004, 05:11 PM
what did you guys start to play on? i started it on Heiroic something to challenge me a little until i start Legendary

gis
11-11-2004, 08:25 PM
you guys finished it.how long did it take you?

styla21
11-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Geez man you guys are nuts, i'm about a third of the way through i'd guess. i love this game, havn't really got into multiplayer yet either which i'm assuming will give it the longevity value. do many of you guys play on LIVE?

vexor
11-12-2004, 01:46 AM
I too just beat it, on normal, now it's time to go to legendary and get that bonus level to finish off some parts of the story...

cho_888
11-12-2004, 05:12 PM
yeah i did it on normal, but legendary is next for sure!!!!!!!!! ********This game is almost pointless is you have one controler or no xbox live************

T-Bird
11-12-2004, 05:26 PM
wow I guess it's good I have school and work to keep me occupied or I would have probably beat it by now.

666fast
11-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Am I the onyl one annoyed with the ending? :x

Legendary better make it much better. Either way, multiplayer is where it's at anyway.

gis
11-12-2004, 08:22 PM
yeah playin multiplayer is the better part it seems,im enjoying playing the campaign with my cousin,but multiplayer is sure were its at,cant wait to hook up a couple x-box consoles and have a few frineds playin it.(no x-box live for me sadly)

vexor
11-13-2004, 03:24 AM
Am I the onyl one annoyed with the ending? :x

Nope, I am too

SilviaEvo
11-13-2004, 04:12 AM
yeah playin multiplayer is the better part it seems,im enjoying playing the campaign with my cousin,but multiplayer is sure were its at,cant wait to hook up a couple x-box consoles and have a few frineds playin it.(no x-box live for me sadly)
Soon to get Xbox Live with the free two months and my friend will give me his because he already has Xbox Live

cho_888
11-13-2004, 04:32 AM
you need live, you i wasn't annoyed with the ending....i was pisssssssssed offf. i feel vilolated, but i want halo 3 sooo bad. but live and multiplayer makes up for it and it is the best game

666fast
11-13-2004, 05:23 AM
you need live, you i wasn't annoyed with the ending....i was pisssssssssed offf. i feel vilolated, but i want halo 3 sooo bad. but live and multiplayer makes up for it and it is the best game

I was pretty pissed as well. I trolled a bunch of videogame boards, we are not the only ones. A lot of people are upset about it!
When my friend and I beat it, we were watching the little cinematic, and expecting to play some ore. All of a sudden, the credits started. I just kind of sat there, while my friend let out a "WHAT THE FUCK?"

Bungie is damn lucky the multiplayer is so good, otherwise this game wouldn't have sold as much as it has! If my PS2 worked, I'd probably go trade in Halo 2 for GTA San Andreas. I only play multiplayer with my friends and sometimes online at their house, so there is much of a point to me having it! (splitscreen doesn't bother me)

You guys know of the bug to unlock the extra MP levels? When playing through campaign (any difficulty) you have to ignore the onscreen tutorials untill the very last board. On the last board you have to do a barrel roll in a Banshee to get them unlocked. If you do any of the tutorials before hand, it won't unlock the levels! Thats what I read anyway.

Talk about a whopper of a bug! Imagine how many people thats gonna piss off!

Halo 2 could have been so much better. It's obvious they concentrated too much on the MP aspect. Which makes sense since it's the best part of the game.

Some other gripes I have:
-The view is somewhat restricted. I got used to it, but it seems a bit more zoomed in than Halo 1
-Dual wielding can further block said view. Two plasma pistols and you can only see whats directly in front of you
-Why were there so few Earth levels? Fighting in cities was one thing I was looking forward too
-A lot of stuff in the E3 trailor wasn't even in the game! WTF?
-Shotgun is only usefull if the enemy is standing on your nuts
-Pistol is a tad too weak. I'm glad they dumbed it down (I never mastered the 3 shot kills), but they dumbed it down too much
-No flashlight when playing as the Arbiter dude, that got annoying on some levels
-AI marines were not any smarter, they stand in one place shooting untill they are dead
-Campaign mode way too short. A total of maybe 6 hours and I beat it. Not worth $50. I like long games, Shenmue for example
-The Flood. Fuck the flood, they suck. There is no strategy to beat them, just shoot shoot shoot
-All they really did was add a bit to the story, pretty up the graphics, add new MP levels, a few new weapons, and two new vehicles. It feels more like Halo 1.5 than Halo 2

I could come up with more, but I can't be bothered. As far as the campaign mode goes, I'm pretty dissapointed with it. It could have been soo much better. Hopefully when my friends and I get more time to play together, I'll get my $50 worth. Even though my mommy paid for it for my birthday!
I'd rather be playing GTA SA, but no, my PS2 has to be fuxxzored.

cho_888
11-14-2004, 06:09 AM
ok so i wasnt quite that pissed off. because i have been play some awsome multiplayer!!!!!!!!!!1 you can have 3 guests online and its just awsome

bmagni
11-25-2004, 11:57 PM
i just got mine !! finally !!!! im really excited :mrgreen:

im playing it in heroic and i must say it isnt really hard, ive been killed some times but not to the point where u get really really into it... i also havent played multiplayer and gone live but next week for sure...
i think its an improvement over combat evolved, the hype was way too high for the game to reach it and im glad i didnt wait for it to be the perfect game or what everyone was expecting, but its lets say slightly better than halo 1

what i liked more from this game is:
-the new battle rifle, my favorite weapon !
-using the sword (weapon of choice against the flood)
-the option of dual weilding, though i almost never ever use it, i think its a good choice.
-the graphics are better
-the faster shield recharge and no health
-the new weapons and vehicles
-the charater customization
-the hunters are harder to kill

what i dont like so far:
-the plasma pistol is no longer that great, the homing doesnt work like it used to and now u cant fire as fast as u could.
-the magnum looks too small
-the flood !! as 666fast says the suck, its good for the story just for that.. i hate it!!!!!!
-heroic isnt hard enough, and legendary for what ive heard is neraly impossible.

right now im in delta halo so ill post more reviews after i play some other levels and MP...

findleybeast
11-26-2004, 01:32 AM
besides the anticlimactic and very abrupt ending, i like just about every other aspect of the game.

oh, and i hate how your teamates only have their symbols above their head, and not their names. i can never figure out who is who.
tho yea, the plasma pistol does suck typically, dual wielding with it is goddam awesome. it can take out an entire overshield out with a charged blast... love it.
i agree that the flood are annoying as hell.

that's about the only gripes i have. i miss mp levels from halo 1, but the new levels are sweet.

oh as for unlocking that multiplayer map, there's an easier way to do it. play through the game and beat it, any difficulty and w/e. if you didn't unlock it by luck then do this:
create a new character, and play coop on the last level with the old character and the new character. play it on easy if you want to get it over with. just play thru w/ the new character, and when you get to the point where you use a banshee, do some barrel rolls with it, then just play thru the rest of the level to the end. the new character will have the unlocked level, and you can just delete the old one and rename the new one to replace it.

findleybeast
11-26-2004, 02:05 AM
awesome setup goodduck. only thing i can think of that would beat that is a college dorm or other lan....

lucky me

btw where are you from in MD? i'm from NoVA so we might not be far apart

bmagni
11-26-2004, 02:46 PM
that's about the only gripes i have. i miss mp levels from halo 1, but the new levels are sweet

yeah i really miss hang em high...

findleybeast
12-10-2004, 04:30 AM
I live in Bethesda and go to school in Bethesda. this is a topic i made a few months ago of my school. http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10513&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Aw you asshole you go to Landon? Kidding... hope you're a lax fan tho

Anyway, back to halo... I really can't wait for the new downloadable multiplayer maps to show up on Live. Hopefully they'll be somewhat in the vein of the older maps...