PDA

View Full Version : help me to find a car for my wife...

st-anger
10-03-2003, 04:14 PM
...she currently owns a Audi A6 and we`re looking for a similar car, any suggestions???

she´s running a real estate office, so we`re looking for a very decent car because she`s giving the customers a lift to the cribs and it´s very important to have quite a nice car for that...
i was thinking of a Cayenne/X5 but she thinks that they`re way too big for her purpose, so i arranged a test drive with a BMW E60, which is IMO a perfect car for anyone in RE, and she really liked it...

but i also want some suggestions from you guys, maybe some of you know a better one...

jon_s
10-03-2003, 04:34 PM
I was thinking 5 series. I personally like Audi, but if you want something different........Ever thought about a Jag??

st-anger
10-03-2003, 04:43 PM
Audi would be nice too, but what modell???

i thik Jag is a bit too classic, but the new XJ8 surely is a nice and decent ride, but IMO a bit too old fashion...

TT
10-03-2003, 04:45 PM
IMO the New 5-Series (E60) is a great choice IMO :) The A6 is a good car, ok, but the BMW has way more carachter IMO :)

st-anger
10-03-2003, 04:48 PM
we test drove the 530d and it´s a blast, with all the tech. features...

1zippo1
10-03-2003, 04:49 PM
The new BMW 5 series, you suggested, is indeed a very good option. It gets good reviews and I personally think the looks grow on you.

An other option is the Merc E Class wich looks very classy and has significantly improved since the last model.

These are of course the more obvious choices, but she would probably be better off with one of these 2 since she has to make a good impression. Personally I would go for the E Class for her. If I had the choice without having to take the job into account, I would go for the BMW.

Other choices in the same range:
Alfa Romeo 166
Volvo S80
Renault Espace (not so classy reputation but really large & comfy)
Jaguar S-Type (don't know how big it is in the back - but will certainly make an impression on most people - but no diesel available)
Peugeot 607

Let us know what you have decided!

PS: If you really have the money, an Audi A8 is of course a very good choice!!!

st-anger
10-03-2003, 05:01 PM
well, i don`t really like MB, sure the E-class`d be a very good choice for her purpose, but i`d definately go for the E60 instead of a merc.

Volvo S80...hmmm..i haven`t thought of this one, looks really nice, i also like the latest Saab modells...

Audi A8....well that would be an option for me to replace the E65 i usually drive, but like a Cayenne or X5 it`s a bit too big for her...

fedezyl
10-03-2003, 06:07 PM
Seems like you already made up your mind for the E60 530d though...
It's a good car indeed, i'm just not so fond of the styling, if it was for that I would buy the Alfa...but it's more of a men's car though...

stradale
10-03-2003, 07:30 PM
The new 5 series is probably the best, but I'd consider a petrol engined one. For a diesel the 530d is very very good, but IMO it can't beat the 530i. Audi's A6 is very good too.

I'd drop the S80 if I were you, the BMW beats it in every way. Except leg room in the back maybe. For long distances it's a comfortable car though and so is the Saab 9-5. You just can't have fun in them when you're in the mood (vague steering and soft suspension for the Volvo, uninspiring handling for the Saab). In the BMW you can.

As much as I like the Alfa 166, especially with its new nose, in quality feel it's simply a full class below the BMW. The same goes for the 607, but that hasn't even got the fun-factor the 166 has. I've driven a full spec one and it didn't even live up to its relatively modest price.

Shopping for a new car is great fun. Enjoy, st-anger!

1zippo1
10-04-2003, 06:22 AM
The new 5 series is probably the best, but I'd consider a petrol engined one. For a diesel the 530d is very very good, but IMO it can't beat the 530i.

I agree with you on all the cars you've mentioned but I don't think the 530d is a worse choice then the 530i. The last one is certainly more sportive but for every day traffic the 530d is probably the most relaxing to drive. A diesel has got lots of low down power => you don't have to shift so often and starting on a hill is easier. And one thing you can't ignore: it costs less to run, 1 litre petrol = 1 euro / 1 litre diesel = 0,75 euro + it consumes only 8 litre/100km compared to 11 litre/100km for the petrol version. I would rather have the petrol, but the diesel has much advantages that you've got to take into account.

stradale
10-04-2003, 07:39 AM
I know of the rational reason to choose the 530d over a 530i. What can I say, I just don't like diesels. The 530i has plenty of grunt in the lower regions too and if you're not pushing it's just as relaxing. IMO it just comes down to fuel consumption.

st-anger
10-04-2003, 09:23 AM
the whole rational thing isn`t that important, i think when you`re thinking of buying a 70k€ car, it doesn`t really matter and she´s not driving that much so the diesel probably won`t pay off...
and i think we´ll go either for a 520i or 530i...
it mustn´t be fast or sportive, it`s for my wife :lol: , just for driving from A to B...

jon_s
10-04-2003, 09:49 AM
Ooooo get a 9-5 Aero. But not if she is a 'driver'. My dad has had a fair amount of work done to his, but despite a change in gear ratios and stiffer suspension, it still leaves a lot to be desired in the handleing area. Having said that, standard they are devistating on the motorway, even more so when hirsch play about with the car. I have put the link up elswhere, but here it is again: http://www.saab-performance.com/ Anyway, IMO, there are 3 cars:

1) New 5 Series (something different and drives well--fuel eco with 530d)
2) Audi A6 (but it is the same)
3) Saab 9-5 Aero (good Motorway car, something different, decent fuel eco too)

st-anger
10-04-2003, 09:57 AM
a colleague has a 9^5 Aero and i really liked it, but ther`s a bit too less space at the back seats IMO, there a Audi would be nice, but the only Audi i´d buy is the latest A8, but as i said before, too big for her and i´d envy her :lol:

jon_s
10-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Had not thought about the rear space, having gone to have to look, i agree with you. It is also an important area for her due to clients e.t.c New A8!!! Hummmmmmmmm...............dibble! 8)

fedezyl
10-04-2003, 12:40 PM
Mmmm... I think you're going to complete your Bangle collection after all and get a 530i...lol
what color??

st-anger
10-04-2003, 01:56 PM
i can`t find anything wrong about C.Bangle, there are so many ppl just complaining about his design. i liked the look of the E65, otherwise wouldn`t have bought one, but IMO the design of the E60 is just unbelievable. so you`re right fedezyl with an E60 the collection of Bangle cars`d be completed, btw what car do you like best out of them???
her A6 is silver and i think we`ll keep the coulor with the new car, she just likes silver best, and i don`t really care about the colour...

fedezyl
10-04-2003, 02:44 PM
I like the looks of the E60 better, there's something about the E65 split tail that I don't like that much, I like the nose though.
As far as for a color for the E60, silver is nice...but maybe try to go for something different this time, it's true that BMW's come in silver most of the time, and maybe a different color would give a different touch to the car, do you know in wich colors do they come?

st-anger
10-04-2003, 05:21 PM
i´d go for oriental blue metallic with dakota beige leather interiour...
but it`s up to her, it´ll be her car, so when she says she wants it in silver, we´ll get it in silver...
what i´d also like is black, my E65 is black with grey leather interiour and it´s looks great in that combination. that the Z4 HAD TO BE merlot-red/beige leather was clear, the one and only combination for the Z4 IMO

TT
10-04-2003, 05:27 PM
IMO all the last BMW models are perfect in black, also the Z4 :P I don't know, but in black its lines are more smooth, and I simply love it :)
As for the interior, I always like beige or tobacco colors :)

st-anger
10-04-2003, 05:29 PM
IMO all the last BMW models are perfect in black, also the Z4 :P I don't know, but in black its lines are more smooth, and I simply love it :)

thx man, i haven´t thought of this...
tobacco interiour is extremely hot, but the car has to be dark for that i think....

TT
10-04-2003, 05:45 PM

thx man, i haven´t thought of this...
tobacco interiour is extremely hot, but the car has to be dark for that i think....

Yep, tobacco and grey won't be to good I suppose...

Jabba
10-04-2003, 10:52 PM
nothing says style and class like the new benz e-class!

stradale
10-06-2003, 05:44 AM
I like it best in blue or black too, but if the exterior has to be grey then a black or dark red interior looks best I think.

TT
10-06-2003, 05:58 AM
BTW.. the vids posted yesterday gave me an idea... give a call to "Used car heaven" :P