PDA

View Full Version : RACING COMEBACK ZANARDI

stradale
10-01-2003, 04:46 PM
Alessandro Zanardi will be competing in motorsport again for the first time since he suffered severe injuries as a result of an accident two years ago. The Italian lost both legs when he was competing in a round of the American ChampCar Championship at the Lausitz EuroSpeedway on 15 September 2001. Now, he'll be back in business again for BMW in the FIA European Touring Car Championship (ETCC) on 19 October 2003. In Monza, Zanardi will be the third pilot in the BMW Italy-Spain Team managed by Roberto Ravaglia driving in the final race of the European Championship. He will be piloting a BMW 320i specially adapted to his requirements.

In the race two years ago, Zanardi was in the lead. He pitted 13 laps before the finishing line and then lost control of his car just after the exit. There was a bad crash with another car and the former Formula 1 pilot spent several days on the danger list.

"Two years ago I escaped death by a whisker," commented the 36-year-old from Bologna. "Although the situation was really bad at the time, I set myself the goal of leading a normal life again at some time in the future. Today, I can walk, I swim, I go skiing, and on 19 October I will complete my vision by competing seriously in a race. I should like to thank the entire BMW Team Italy for this fantastic opportunity and for all the energy that has been invested in the engineering that was necessary for me. I also have to thank the company
Fadiel for their inestimable cooperation. I believe that sometimes in life it's difficult to regain your courage after a stroke of bad luck. If I manage to keep pace in Monza in October, I shall have reaffirmed my faith in myself: where ther'‚s a will, there's a way."

The engineers from Ravaglia Motorsport have converted a BMW 320i for Alex Zanardi. He can accelerate on the steering wheel and the clutch is operated on the gear shift.

Team manager Roberto Ravaglia is totally committed to the project: "When Alex came to us and said he wanted to drive a BMW, we immediately put all systems on go to provide full technical support. We have already seen some exciting performances from the telemetry data. His performance is particularly impressive when you reflect on the obvious difficulties and the lack of training. That motivates the team to prepare the car in the best possible way."

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen is enthusiastic about the project: "It's an honour for us that Alex is able to make his dream come true in a BMW. We are extremely happy to provide him with the support of all our expertise and engineering skills. His project reflects the BMW Motorsport philosophy of always searching for new frontiers. Whatever the result of the race, Alex has already won through as far as I'm concerned."

Alessandro Zanardi will turn out for promotional laps with the BMW 320i in Monza on 25 September and he will also be available to answer questions from the media on this occasion.

http://www.speedarena.com/artman/uploads/003__scaled_600_003.jpg

stradale
10-01-2003, 04:47 PM
So great to see him race again. I hope he will do well. He probably still has it. 8)

jakaracman
10-02-2003, 07:12 AM
Don't be suprised if he's up there with the fastest guys. I would not be suprised if he were the best BMW - Alfas are gonna win in Monza, it's their type of track.

draak666
10-02-2003, 07:26 AM
There's a Belgian tri-athlete who got paralysed at both legs. He also drives a BMW (as his everyday car) now, with the same type of operation devices as on Zanardi's car. Isn't that a great thought, that even without legs you will still be able to drive a BMW? :D

I hope he does well.

ceesf1
01-23-2004, 02:39 AM
isn't it a bit pity that everything he is doing its in the news

levensnevel
01-23-2004, 02:44 AM
Well,

If you' remember his horrific crash at the Lausitz EuroSpeedway on 15 September 2001 you'll understand that the media is eager to pay special attention to his comeback this season. And if he does well the attention will only grow. :fadein:

micky21
01-23-2004, 09:29 AM
it's great to see him back in racing.. much respect to him for having the will to do this :)

Kangaroo Boy
01-23-2004, 10:24 AM
he more a less has had to re learn how to drive again,he deserve to win.

Schwalbe
01-23-2004, 03:51 PM
This guy is my hero. Great courage it has.

scubywrxr
01-24-2004, 08:07 AM
amazing recovery, to race again is a miracle :)

ceesf1
01-24-2004, 10:16 AM
:P regazzoni also tried

tuner78
01-24-2004, 11:22 AM
alex guve us a great lesson...never surrender!!! never!!!...

great alex....

wish you where here?? no is wrong..you are here..and drive again!

Fra

kawa22
01-24-2004, 03:34 PM
i've know alex at monza and is a Very Big person,i also see again at motorshow of bologna (italy) a city how he born and it's fantastic,miracle to see he dirve again a kart.Forza Alex sei il migliore!!!!
http://www.ferrariownersclub.co.uk/happenings/images/xmas_01/zanardi.jpg

McLarenF1God
01-25-2004, 10:05 PM
Are they going to modify the cockpit so he can drive like he used to?? Or still does I suppose? I thought he was gone for good...good stuff.

caugb
02-10-2004, 08:12 PM
At the end of 2003, Zanardi came to Brazil for the traditional 24h kart race with brazilian F1 racers, Montoya and Christian Fittipaldi, He raced very well (Rubens' team won again).
At the end of the race he "complained" about pain in the feet! It is very noble to make fun of his own disabilities. And he had a great time here (and strong pain in the back).

biff19_a
03-20-2004, 07:06 PM
you knew he would come back... much to his wifes displeasure.... he loves racing he loves this stuff witha passion... i say good for him i hope he wins