PDA

View Full Version : Question for Mechanical Engineers

deth
09-30-2003, 02:58 AM
I was wondering if mechs out there have had ne job experience working at car companies. If so which ones, how did you go about getting an internship, and what was required? I'm asking this because I'm a 3rd year mech and desperately need work hours in order to graduate!

any help would be much appreciated! :D

Deth

fedezyl
09-30-2003, 12:23 PM
Talk to St-anger, he's the man to talk to...very knowledgeable guy too

st-anger
09-30-2003, 12:45 PM
i´d been project manager at MAGNA Steyr in the driveline departement where we we were developing parts for the MB 4-Matic and the awd systems for BMW.
Magna Steyr (http://www.magnasteyr.com/)

from Dec.1997 to Jul. 2001 i´ve been working at the EZW Weissach for the Porsche AG at their driveline technology departement particularly in the field of all-wheel-drive technology ( C4 modells, TT and Cayenne )

since Jan.2002 i`m working at Bosch Motronic
Bosch Motronic (http://www.bosch.at/de/unternehmen/standorte/linz.html)

what was required?

i attenden a technical college in mechanical engineering, after that i studied management, because i wanted to run my own company.
but i went back to university and studied mechatronics to achieve my doctor`s degree.
when you want to work at Porsche as a technician you`ll have to be at least a Dipl.Ing; also a must is english and some years of working practice

to become a project manager (MAGNA) a technical education in combination with some management stuff is required

the job at Bosch had been kinda easy to get with the qualifications i achieved before.

so it´s my pleasure to answer your questions, but don`t trust fedezyl, he´s overrating me way too much :lol:

btw thx fedezyl for the kind words m8 :wink:

deth
10-01-2003, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the help st-anger! i'm sending you a pm, i have some more specific questions!

st-anger
10-01-2003, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the help st-anger! i'm sending you a pm, i have some more specific questions!

...i´ll try to answer ´em as good as i can, but ask fedezyl i´ve very little time but i think we can sort this all out.
i´m looking forward to your questions...

fedezyl
10-01-2003, 10:47 AM
Yeah st-anger is a busy bloke but he takes his time to answer...
hey how's that Z-4 going??? have you had any time to enjoy it?? :)

st-anger
10-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Yeah st-anger is a busy bloke but he takes his time to answer...
hey how's that Z-4 going??? have you had any time to enjoy it?? :)

hardly, sadly hardly, but when i´ve the time to take "her" out it`s every time a blast. you can`t compare it with a true sportscar, but i don`t wanted one, it`s just for relaxing on weekends and to have some fun after a hard nightshift:
http://members.aon.at/st-anger/DSCN1405.JPG

so i want to drive it more often but my other ride (BMW E65 745i ) is also a very nice one ( IMO ) and it nearly drives on its own, so very relaxing...

i´ve had enough chances to race with some beautiful cars in my life so far, so i enjoy it just crusing around and the 3.0 Z4 is the best car for this...

fedezyl
10-01-2003, 11:04 AM
I see you've already been getting some high speed action in your baby! Nice, I love those kind of pictures... I see you have some rpm's to go, or is it limited to 250Km/h??

st-anger
10-01-2003, 11:11 AM
it`s not limited, at full throttle with "sport" on the speedo shows 260kmh+ @ redline. BMW says it can hit 244kmh...

on the other hand the E65 is really limited, nothing is happening after 250..

fedezyl
10-01-2003, 11:18 AM
Is the E65 a company car or yours?
Can you take the limiter out?

st-anger
10-01-2003, 11:24 AM
it`s my own, Bosch`d have given me a Passat V6, but i´m so happy with the E65...
i never thought of getting rid of the limiter, it´s just for driving to work and everything that deals with my work...
but i`ve been thinking of changing to the 740d...600Nm..impressive...

what i want to do is to tune the engine of the Z4... nothing more, exept better brakes and suspension and that stuff
"Hartge" has some cool stuff for the Z4 IMO....

fedezyl
10-01-2003, 11:27 AM
Yeah I've seen some of their work on the net...and as far for a 740d...it would be a good move money wise too, I figure that if you're going to get a nice cruising comfortable ride you might as well get a diesel and save some money..

st-anger
10-01-2003, 11:33 AM
it`s nearly three years old now, so i don´t think i`ll change to the diesel in the next 1 or 2 years, maybe afterwards...

on the other hand i can`t change it right now, because right now i´m looking for a new car for my wife, old one is an A6, any suggestions???

fedezyl
10-01-2003, 11:34 AM
What's her driving style??

A Vel Satis?? lol, I love that car...quirky looks and looks comfortable inside.... I like the 607 too..

st-anger
10-01-2003, 11:39 AM
something around in the A6 league, she`s in real estate, so she needs a decent car to drive her customers to the cribs and stuff like that...
i´ve been thinking of a E60, just to complete our "Bangle" collection.
from the looks, i just LOVE the E60, IMO one of the most beautiful cars in that category...
what your opinion on that...???

fedezyl
10-01-2003, 11:43 AM
MMM, it's true that the Bangle design kinda grows into you, it's not love at first sight though...
It's true that as far as image wise she needs to state security and predictability, so more like a classic car, that's you know for her job...and image towards the clients
The E60 is mmm...weird...but Ok...I reckon a Vel Satis would be a bit to much of a style statement thing....maybe a merc C class or E class...classic but still very nice lines...

st-anger
10-01-2003, 11:49 AM
yep, i was thinking of an E too, but i don`t like merc´s that much, it´s a bit too old fashion for me, and my wife won´t enter a Vel Satis, that`s for sure :lol:
we already test drove a 530d and she was quite happy with it, so you don´t like the E60...??? why?

fedezyl
10-01-2003, 11:59 AM
mmm, I like the front end...but the rear lights really...look a bit too cartoonish kind of thing, it doesn't have the impresion of solidity, even if they are solid, that old bmw's had....
But...I don't know I'm more of a classic guy, I like the mercs looks...
It's true that in that category apart the Vel Satis, BMW and Mercs are the only ones that have an appealing new look...