PDA

View Full Version : F1 cars

possessed_beaver
09-29-2003, 12:44 PM
An F1 car is made up of 80,000 components, if it were assembled 99.9% correctly, it would still start the race with 80 things wrong!
Formula 1 cars have over a kilometre of cable, linked to about 100 sensors and actuators which monitor and control many parts of the car.

An F1 car can go from 0 to 160 kph and back to 0 in 4 seconds.
At 550kg a F1 car is less than half the weight of a Mini.
In an F1 engine revving at 18000 rpm, the piston will travel up and down 300 times a second.
Maximum piston acceleration is approximately 7000G (humans pass out at 7-8G).
Drivers haven't had to resort to pressure suits like fighter pilots because they only experience high G's for very short periods of time.

If a connecting rod let go of its piston at maximum engine speed, the piston would have enough energy to travel vertically over 100 m.
If a water hose were to blow off, the complete cooling system would empty in just over a second.

Gear cogs or ratios are used only for one race, and are replaced regularly to prevent failure, as they are subjected to very high degrees of stress.

The fit in the cockpit is so tight that the steering wheel must be removed for the driver to get in or out of the car. A small latch behind the wheel releases it from the column. Levers or paddles for changing gear are located on the back of the wheel. So no gearstick! The clutch levers are also on the steering wheel, located below the gear paddles.
To give you an idea of just how important aerodynamic design and added downforce can be, small planes can take off at slower speeds than race cars travel on the track.

Without aerodynamic downforce, high-performance racing cars have sufficient power to produce wheel spin and loss of control at 160 kph. They usually race at over 300 kph.

The amount of aerodynamic downforce produced by the front and rear wings and the car underbody is amazing. Once the car is travelling over 160 kph, an F1 car can generate enough downforce to equal it's own weight. That means it could actually hold itself to the ceiling of a tunnel and drive upside down! In a street course race, the downforce provides enough suction to lift manhole covers. Before the race all of the manhole covers on the streets have to be welded down to prevent this from happening!

If you've ever changed a tyre, you know that you have to jack the car up off the ground to be able to replace the wheel. And it takes ages. F1 cars have integrated pneumatic jacks in the chassis (rather than the manual jacks normal cars have) - two in the front and one in the rear. By connecting a pressurised nitrogen hose to a port located behind the driver, the pit crew can jack the whole car up in less than a second when the car stops in the pit.

The refuelers used in F1 can supply 12 litres of fuel per second. This means it would take just 4 seconds to fill the tank of an average 50 litre family car.
Top F1 pit crews can refuel and change tyres in around 3 seconds.

Race car tyres don't have air in them like normal car tyres. Most racing tyres have nitrogen in the tyres because nitrogen has a more consistent pressure compared to normal air. Air typically contains varying amounts of water vapour in it, which affects its expansion and contraction as a function of temperature, making the tyre pressure unpredictable.
During the race the tyres lose weight! Each tyre loses about 0.5 kg in weight due to wear.

At ~ 350 mm wide, F1 tyres are much wider than normal tyres (~185 mm wide).
Normal tyres last 60 000 - 100 000 km. Racing tyres are designed to last 90 - 120 km.

A dry-weather F1 tyre reaches peak operating performance (best grip) when tread temperature is between 90°C and 120°C. At top speed, F1 tyres rotate 50 times a second, or 3000 rpm

Wide
09-29-2003, 01:18 PM
nice info tnx..
An addition to the driver features..
They are losin around 2 kg each race.. Because of losin water from the body.. First I didnt believe it but I read it in the mag..

jon_s
09-29-2003, 02:23 PM
There is lot of stuff in there that I did not know!! 8)

Nemisis8u
09-29-2003, 03:31 PM
Very interesting stuff. Some of it is from Be A GP Driver :D

BADMIHAI
09-29-2003, 03:42 PM
nice info tnx..
They are losin around 2 kg each race.. Because of losin water from the body.. First I didnt believe it but I read it in the mag..

HEh...I lose over 4 kgs after every rugby game! (I do weigh almost 200 lbs :)

Now that is fucking insane!

hemi_fan
09-29-2003, 03:44 PM
Man, those are some interesting facts. I have some similar facts about Top-Fuel dragsters that I'll post in a seperate thread. thanx for the info

stradale
09-29-2003, 04:05 PM
A lot of the information in this post is new to me. Thanks possessed beaver!

There are two things however that I think are not entirely true.
If you've ever changed a tyre, you know that you have to jack the car up off the ground to be able to replace the wheel. And it takes ages. F1 cars have integrated pneumatic jacks in the chassis (rather than the manual jacks normal cars have) - two in the front and one in the rear. By connecting a pressurised nitrogen hose to a port located behind the driver, the pit crew can jack the whole car up in less than a second when the car stops in the pit.

If you watch the pitstops in F1 you can see there's a man with a jack at the front of the car and one at the rear. I think this bit is confused with Champcar or something. There they use these pneumatic jacks.

The refuelers used in F1 can supply 12 litres of fuel per second. This means it would take just 4 seconds to fill the tank of an average 50 litre family car.

This three second time can only be achieved when very little fuel is needed. The fitment of the tyres is much faster than the refuelling. Usually the tyres are done and they have to wait for the refuelling to finish. A regular pitstop takes about 8 seconds.

Wide
09-29-2003, 04:10 PM
BADMIHAI Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:42 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wide wrote:
nice info tnx..

HEh...I lose over 4 kgs after every rugby game! (I do weigh almost 200 lbs

Dude r u returnin home with 1 arm after the match..? :D

Ziploc
09-29-2003, 04:44 PM
interesting read thanx!

Grossi
12-16-2003, 07:20 PM
holy! That info really makes you think.. awesome info man!

RacingManiac
12-16-2003, 07:35 PM
550kg is probably a bit off....without driver the car would probably weight a bit less than that, unless the driver weighs 50kilo....since the rule only mandate the car's dryweight WITH driver to be 600kilo....

and yea, F1 cars don't have integrated pneumatic jack in the interest of saving weight. Same reason why the car doesn't carry starter motor.....

And one key ingredient of making the engine rev to 18-19k is the use of pneumatic valve return instead of actual metal spring. Since they can act faster than spring. The valvetrain system has a pneumatic gas supply(usually compressed CO2 gas bottle) and can be topped off during pitstop if so needed....

chernobyl
12-17-2003, 04:27 AM

Now that is fucking insane!

Even more amazing is the 0-200mph-0 again. Just over 11 seconds.(that test was done in 97).

F1 cars braking stats are by far its most impressive. An F1 car can go from 200mph to 50/60mph faster than it can go from 100mph to 0. Because of the much faster speed, the carbon discs heat quicker and generate much more heat and work better and better as the car is slowing from a higher speed.

cho_888
12-17-2003, 04:45 AM
hey how quick is a formula 1 0-100 i have never foun teh answer to that.

steven 1234
12-20-2003, 05:35 AM
The drivers also use their cockpit as a toilet when they have to hang a piss. What else are they going to do?? They can go before the race, but if you gotta go you gotta go

tekwar
12-21-2003, 08:45 AM

Most likely around the mid 2's. Fast but when compared to top fuel dragsters going from 0-100MPH in a sec, makes it seem a bit like a donkey :P

twboy1999
12-21-2003, 12:21 PM
nice info

but this info was several years outdated

possessed_beaver
12-21-2003, 12:47 PM
nice info

but this info was several years outdated

cool, well i will be waiting for the latest up to date information, from you then :)

chernobyl
12-22-2003, 04:35 AM
. F1 cars have integrated pneumatic jacks in the chassis (rather than the manual jacks normal cars have) - two in the front and one in the rear. By connecting a pressurised nitrogen hose to a port located behind the driver, the pit crew can jack the whole car up in less than a second when the car stops in the pit.

Thats Champ Car, not F1.

kayser-soze
12-22-2003, 08:16 AM
I do not know the exact time but ı knew that from 200-0 kph in 55 meters...

twboy1999
12-22-2003, 11:15 AM
beaver

i wish i know where to find more info on f1 cars but i do not

but if i do.. i definitly will post it up

i am an f1 freak...^^

oscargarza88
12-22-2003, 01:29 PM
thanks 4 the ingo but i already knew most of that info, and yes that thing to lift up the cars in not tru, that system is on the champ cars not f1, and what really impressed me was that the downforce it created it could go upside down and not fall down!

Keessie20
01-01-2004, 02:45 PM
nice facts. The impressive performance is why i look F1. More people need to see f1 and have more respect for drivers who race such cars

szumszer
01-06-2004, 10:35 PM
few years ago properly geared mclaren driven by mika did 0 to 100 km/h in 1.8 seconds, but that depends on gearing, so race ready cars are slower than that; i bet f1 would beat a dragster in a race, straight line, 10 miles or km or something like that; the dragster would either break down, run of of fuel or be stopped by driver himself cause they are not used to going more than a 1/4 mile ... that would probably seem too weird and scary to dragster driver, may be even incomprehensible

szumszer
01-06-2004, 10:52 PM
also ... f1 drivers have bladder catheters, with little "piss" bags attached around the calf, its covered and well hidden, on the left leg, cause the right one contracts more often, if you look closely at the end of the race sometimes one leg seems a bit thicker then the other ... that means the bag is full, surgeons use the same equipment during long surgeries, because just like an f1 driver: sometimes there is no time to go wee wee; these bags usually get removed before the award ceremony, because jumping around may detach the bag from the catheter, as was discovered by J. Villeneuve the hard way ... wet foot and stench of urine is quite noticeable :twisted:

szumszer
01-06-2004, 10:56 PM
also ... f1 drivers have bladder catheters, with little "piss" bags attached around the calf, its covered and well hidden, on the left leg, cause the right one contracts more often, if you look closely at the end of the race sometimes one leg seems a bit thicker then the other ... that means the bag is full, surgeons use the same equipment during long surgeries, because just like an f1 driver: sometimes there is no time to go wee wee; these bags usually get removed before the award ceremony, because jumping around may detach the bag from the catheter, as was discovered by J. Villeneuve the hard way ... wet foot and stench of urine is quite noticeable :twisted:

crispy
01-06-2004, 11:11 PM
now you know and knowing is half the battle. G.I. Joe!!!!

pimrusis
01-07-2004, 10:45 AM
Possessed Beaver, make up an alias for yourself so I can cite you in a paper I am doing.

bahkhok
01-13-2004, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the info. That is alot of great stuff. Some of the information is from CART. F1 cars dont have pneumatic jacks.

gr
01-13-2004, 11:46 AM
I do not know the exact time but ı knew that from 200-0 kph in 55 meters...

They actually do 0-200-0 kph in 9 sec. Kind of amazing considering they don't have parachutes or anything like that.

RallyeNLD
01-13-2004, 11:48 AM
quote:

Bit optimistic: only Tires maybe 4 sec. a 3 sec pitstop would mean approximately 2 sec. of refueling equals 24 liters of fuel (maybe splash and dash though)

veilsidebr
01-21-2004, 04:23 AM
F1 cars are pretty nice. A sample, F1 2003 GA of shummy, in a recent drag race agains a Eurofighet, made a distance of 600 meters in just 9.4 seconds. Awesome.

:D

mderuige
02-02-2004, 11:06 AM
When a F1 pilot brakes, the sweat on his face is catapulted onto his helmet!