PDA

View Full Version : new Mustang

FordGTGuy
09-21-2004, 05:03 PM
what information can we get about this new mustang thats faster than the Corvette c6?

T-Bird
09-21-2004, 05:12 PM
rumors, there is no proof of any super Mustang or this supposed super Camaro in 4 years. No one has any real proof of these cars, just like there is no official info about any of the "tuned" mustangs all Roush gave was a few pics and Saleen hasn't realesed anything yet. Kenny Brown already has parts for the car which isn't even really out yet (you should see the empty space the dealers have made for them out here). Steeda has a line of aftermarket parts available for the Mustang already to change every part of the car.

FordGTGuy
09-21-2004, 05:26 PM
its apposed to be a Cobra right? SVT Cobra R

FordGTGuy
09-21-2004, 05:33 PM
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=8d66aed3f4c9ac2aea825f1717a3af7 b&forumid=150

a good lil forum about it

T-Bird
09-21-2004, 05:42 PM
yeah thata forum is full of "I wish" topics but no physical proof or info about the new Cobra and it will be atleast another year before it is released so don't count on anything just yet.

nthfinity
09-21-2004, 10:42 PM
im not aware of any 'r' badging yet. but yes, C6 slayer is quite the accurate term. C6 Z 'slayer' isnt.
im fairly sure the 'roush' pictures are photoshoped pictures, so i only take them as strong as that.
comparing the stang to the vette is only currently comparable in the straightaways. with how heavy the new beast may be, i dont look for higher then perhaps a bit better then current cobra limits... but definately, better feel.

RC45
09-22-2004, 08:38 AM
LOL - keep dreaming guys.. ;) --- Ford lost the recipe book for cooking anything decent other the mid-engine-rear-drive layout, and the new GT proves it.

Give Ford an unlimited budget and they build a decent performance car - ask them to build something affordable and they fuck it up with bland committee designs.. :lol: ... :P

Even the SVT Cobra's of the last decade were supposed to be the shit - and without extra money being spent on them, they turned out to be just that, shit.. ;) :D

number77
09-22-2004, 12:37 PM
you are also forgetting about the rumored, 7.0L (427) z06
i have heard about a fast stang that might, MIGHT take a base vette. i give their credibility about 70%
the super camaro, that will be able to take a base vette no questions asked, is about 90% credible.
the thing is that ford performance division is trying to keep up, but we must all remember that they have to compete with all of GM in their sales, and getting $ and board votes for high end sports car development isn't were profit is made.

blah
09-22-2004, 03:36 PM
LOL - keep dreaming guys.. ;) --- Ford lost the recipe book for cooking anything decent other the mid-engine-rear-drive layout, and the new GT proves it.

Give Ford an unlimited budget and they build a decent performance car - ask them to build something affordable and they fuck it up with bland committee designs.. :lol: ... :P

Even the SVT Cobra's of the last decade were supposed to be the shit - and without extra money being spent on them, they turned out to be just that, shit.. ;) :D

some one got smoked by a cobra :lol:

FordGTGuy
09-22-2004, 03:37 PM
Cobras are very nice cars i think.

nthfinity
09-22-2004, 04:53 PM
i have heard about a fast stang that might, MIGHT take a base vette. i give their credibility about 70%
the super camaro, that will be able to take a base vette no questions asked, is about 90% credible.
the thing is that ford performance division is trying to keep up, but we must all remember that they have to compete with all of GM in their sales, and getting $ and board votes for high end sports car development isn't were profit is made.
the rumored 427 is a fact. originally during testing earlier this year, they were dyno'd out at 480hp@ the crank. i met the engineer who designed the electronics and mechanics to push it to a whooping 507 hp @ the crank. they officially have met thier goal of 500 hp n/a. to gain the extra 37hp, they designed a special extra exhaust valve bypass system for a more free flowing exhaust, and different geometry, while maintaining fuel efficiansy to avoid the gas guzzler tax, and meeting/exceeding emmissions goals. it is a seemless transistion when the throttle is more fully depressed to actuate the exhaust valve system, and the engine note is quite different. not to mention the most excleelent handling charactaristics this car is going to maintain, or exceed. i just wonder about the cost... hopefully not returning to the ZR-1 territory...

a totally fun mustang cobra wont meet that at all... until tuned just a wee bit for just a few bucks (compared with the price of tuning this vette). chances are that the mustang cobra's torque will be greater then that of the vette z series, and hp is quite similar. i assume to be just a 1/2 second different in the 1/4 mile when its all said and done. if its any more then that, its just because of excess wheel spin on the 'slobra'

graywolf624
09-22-2004, 05:13 PM
this supposed super Camaro in 4 years.

I do hope your not talking about the 2002 zl1.. I've ridden in it and have the pictures to prove it.

i met the engineer who designed the electronics and mechanics to push it to a whooping 507 hp @ the crank.

thats pretty poor considering gm has an alluminum 427 that pushes 600 hp na at the crank.

coloradosilver
09-22-2004, 05:29 PM
the rumored 427 is a fact. originally during testing earlier this year, they were dyno'd out at 480hp@ the crank. i met the engineer who designed the electronics and mechanics to push it to a whooping 507 hp @ the crank. they officially have met thier goal of 500 hp n/a. to gain the extra 37hp, they designed a special extra exhaust valve bypass system for a more free flowing exhaust, and different geometry, while maintaining fuel efficiansy to avoid the gas guzzler tax, and meeting/exceeding emmissions goals. it is a seemless transistion when the throttle is more fully depressed to actuate the exhaust valve system, and the engine note is quite different. not to mention the most excleelent handling charactaristics this car is going to maintain, or exceed. i just wonder about the cost... hopefully not returning to the ZR-1 territory...

a totally fun mustang cobra wont meet that at all... until tuned just a wee bit for just a few bucks (compared with the price of tuning this vette). chances are that the mustang cobra's torque will be greater then that of the vette z series, and hp is quite similar. i assume to be just a 1/2 second different in the 1/4 mile when its all said and done. if its any more then that, its just because of excess wheel spin on the 'slobra'

I HIGHLY doubt that Ford will build a mustang that will be able to run with the Z06. With the current models (2004) Even a bone stock Z06 will beat an SVT. (Thats exceptionally sad because the mustang even has a supercharger on it.)

And lets be honest here, How many Z06 drivers leave their cars bone stock? I'm very active in the corvette community (because I own one) and have only seen a few out of many that have been left stock.

If the new Z06 does come with a 500hp / 7.0L / 427cid engine all the owner would need to do is thow on some headers, exhaust, intake, and do some tuning and that car will be up in the 550hp range NA. For an additional $3,000, they could throw on a Head and Cam package and that car would be well on it's way to the 700hp range with a few more minor mods (All NA).

I don't even want to talk about what you can do with this engine if you threw on a Supercharger as ford has had to do.

The point is that for the Ford Mustang to catch up with the Z06 in the departments of straight line acceleration and handling(yeah right) :roll: They're going to have to do a lot more work with engine size and mechanics, weight saving techniques, and suspension work.

It just isn't going to happen any time soon. Sorry Ford guys. For the price, the Z06 is still going to be the best bang for the buck money can buy.

T-Bird
09-22-2004, 06:49 PM
OK who gives a fuck if the Z06 can beat a Cobra...
NO SHIT! they aren't contenders, the Corvette is a Sports car and the Cobra is a Muscle Car they are different and yeah Ford installed a Supercharger on their car but think about it, they have a smaller engine than the Corvette has I'm sure if Ford spent the time to build a 6.0L V8 they would be just fine considering the GT has a smaller engine than that and it has 550hp so if they went bigger they could do it and if they go to a 7.0L they can throw a SC on that too and kick the shit out of your precious Corvette, the fact is that the new Mustang will be one hell of a car if you haven't noticed lately Bill Ford has been letting alot of better cars out the door so the idea of a very quick Mustang isn't out of the Question although I think they have let that up to all their outside contracts like Steeda, Roush, Saleen, Kenny Brown and now Shelby so you won't have a hard time finding a Fast as Fuck Warrantied (key word) Car and considering Saleen and Shelby like to shoe horn large engines in smaller areas you can probably expect some very large hp numbers from them that could kick the shit out of a Z06. No matter what you say the cheapest and easiest car to make HP from is the Mustang and it always will be.

RC45
09-23-2004, 10:02 AM
NO SHIT! they aren't contenders, the Corvette is a Sports car and the Cobra is a Muscle Car they are different and yeah Ford installed a Supercharger on their car but think about it, they have a smaller engine than the Corvette has I'm sure if Ford spent the time to build a 6.0L V8 they would be just fine considering the GT has a smaller engine than that and it has 550hp so if they went bigger they could do it and if they go to a 7.0L they can throw a SC on that too and kick the shit out of your precious Corvette, the fact is that the new Mustang will be one hell of a car if you haven't noticed lately Bill Ford has been letting alot of better cars out the door so the idea of a very quick Mustang isn't out of the Question although I think they have let that up to all their outside contracts like Steeda, Roush, Saleen, Kenny Brown and now Shelby so you won't have a hard time finding a Fast as Fuck Warrantied (key word) Car and considering Saleen and Shelby like to shoe horn large engines in smaller areas you can probably expect some very large hp numbers from them that could kick the shit out of a Z06. No matter what you say the cheapest and easiest car to make HP from is the Mustang and it always will be.

Some one got beat by a Vette? ;)

JiggaStyles09
09-23-2004, 10:10 AM
No matter what you say the cheapest and easiest car to make HP from is the Mustang and it always will be.

haha, i would agree with that.

yea i highly doubt that the cobra will be able to run with the new Z06, but im sure it will be within spitting distance just as the 03 cobra was pretty close to the 03 Z06. 390 hp to 405 hp. obviously im talking acceleration here and not around a track.

nthfinity
09-23-2004, 11:15 AM
thats pretty poor considering gm has an alluminum 427 that pushes 600 hp na at the crank.

yes... is the 600hp na a street legal version? or is that the C5-R? its a world of difference there, requiring engine re-builds, and less reliabiltiy. before one argues aftermarket, the engine will be quite modfiable to give insane numbers. i love the corvette, and would choose to own one over a mustang most days.

I HIGHLY doubt that Ford will build a mustang that will be able to run with the Z06. With the current models (2004) Even a bone stock Z06 will beat an SVT. (Thats exceptionally sad because the mustang even has a supercharger on it.)

i seriously dont know why people have a problem with OEM SC :idea: it is quite the reality that the next cobra is going to be super fucking fast in the straights, and definately 'improved' in the corners; although im unsure how much.

T-Bird, if Ford felt that the Corvette wasnt part of its competition, you have another thing coming. the Stang will offer the next best straight perferomance levels compared to the vette, although, we will see about something like the GTO, or F body if it is re-ignited. the Cobra hasnt always been faster then the SS, or WS-6. in fact, the slogan found on a wall at the SVT assembly line states the number 1 reason why people buy Cobra's ..."I couldn't get a corvette"

It just isn't going to happen any time soon. Sorry Ford guys. For the price, the Z06 is still going to be the best bang for the buck money can buy.

not every one can afford a new/used Z06; quite obviously... less money, simlar power output ratings (yes, more weight... duh)
the new Cobra will be quite a bit faster in the straights then the current Z... but thats really not such a good comparison... and its years away

RC45
09-23-2004, 05:02 PM
not every one can afford a new/used Z06; quite obviously...

With higher mileage used 2001 Z's showing up at less than $30,000 - they are a really difficult option to pass up.

T-Bird
09-23-2004, 05:15 PM

Actually today I outran one to the merge on the way to School, It was a C5 convertible Automatic but still.

RC45
09-25-2004, 12:16 PM

Actually today I outran one to the merge on the way to School, It was a C5 convertible Automatic but still.

No contest beating up on a hairdressers car ;)

nthfinity
09-25-2004, 08:37 PM
No contest beating up on a hairdressers car

LMAO!!!!
at least the mustang cobras arent offered as auto boxes... its bad enough that the are optioned as drop tops ;)

blah
09-25-2004, 08:57 PM

No contest beating up on a hairdressers car ;)

He didnt say he beat to a Boxster. :P

BTW the regular boxsters sound like shit. Sound like the valves cant decide if they want to be open or closed.

graywolf624
09-25-2004, 09:17 PM
"No matter what you say the cheapest and easiest car to make HP from is the Mustang and it always will be."

I disagree.. judging by the camaro numbers.

yes... is the 600hp na a street legal version? or is that the C5-R? its a world of difference there, requiring engine re-builds, and less reliabiltiy. before one argues aftermarket, the engine will be quite modfiable to give insane numbers. i love the corvette, and would choose to own one over a mustang most days.

Yup.. the c5-r street block..
They sell it.. its 48 state road legal.. and they sold it in the zl1 supercar.. also road legal and warrentied for 3 years.

the Cobra hasnt always been faster then the SS, or WS-6. in fact, the slogan found on a wall at the SVT assembly line states the number 1 reason why people buy Cobra's ..."I couldn't get a corvette"

the cobra has never been faster then the ss or ws6 around corners. Hell the camaro has been superior in corners since 1980.. and only recently in straight line. aka after the camaro bowed out.

FoxFour
09-26-2004, 12:24 AM
After reading some information about the agreements between GM and the Canadian Auto workers union that until the year 2017, the Camaro can not be made anywhere else but at the place where the last gen models were built. And seeing that the old plant has been totally destroyed, just don't see now that it will be built; for now. Now I have been hearing rumors about a possible Chevelle.
Being that I just finished paying off my Cobra, think I will keep it for a while. With a little bit of planning and some work on my part, I'm going to modify the suspension so it will be a competent performer. Oh, and in the next month or two I'm going to have every 2005 GT coming up to me for a challenge :?

FoxFour
09-26-2004, 12:27 AM
the cobra has never been faster then the ss or ws6 around corners. Hell the camaro has been superior in corners since 1980.. and only recently in straight line. aka after the camaro bowed out.

My old SVO would say otherwise, both when the suspension was in stock or modified form :wink:

graywolf624
09-26-2004, 11:54 AM
My old SVO would say otherwise, both when the suspension was in stock or modified form

actually no it couldnt versus the same year.. could be the nut behind the wheel or the lower versus higher model.. but a mustang suspension just isnt as good as a camaros from 82+...

It cant keep versus the top of the line camaros of the time. The mustang suspension is inherintly flawed. (mostly in the rear due to what is commonly refered to as qudra bind). the camaros was superior in every way in terms of suspension design (the benefit of using a pan hard rod system, which is so much better that alot of mustang guys switch over to the system). Even the guys road racing mustangs will tell you that. Theres a reason the 80s camaros where car and drivers car of the year and the late 80s irocs pulled .92 g on the skid pad. In the 90s there is simply no contest... mcpherson strut cant compete with sla in modified form and the rear was still qudra binding like crazy in the mustang

until the year 2017, the Camaro can not be made anywhere else but at the place where the last gen models were built

actually its 2007 not 2017. Information direct from the mouth of the brand manager of camaro when I talked to him a year ago.

RC45
09-26-2004, 04:29 PM
I ran across this Roush yesterday - it was quick but not impressivley fast (I waited for him to catch up.. ;) :P).

I take it there are different degrees of Roush-ness.. and the entry level Roush's are not that fast ... is this correct?

http://img73.exs.cx/img73/9271/Roush.th.jpg (http://img73.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img73&image=Roush.jpg)

T-Bird
09-26-2004, 04:35 PM
what you have there is a Roush Mustang Sport V6 it is basically a bodykit and suspension along with the side exhaust with an optional cold air intake. nothing too special.

At the moment there are 6 levels of Roush Mustangs.
1. Sport (V6) as seen above
2. Stage 1 standard bolt ons and nice bodykit/suspension
3. Stage 2 stage 1 + frame stiffining and transmission/brakes upgrades
4. Stage 3 adds supercharger, even shorter shifter, bigger brakes lightweight wheels and custom embroidering on seats. And other options
5. 380R 380 hp with alot of tuning and only 200 per year
6. 440A SC 400hp tons of modifications (everything available) 40 in existence commemorative edition for final run.

The 380R is faster bar none than a Cobra and has an amazing suspension really nimble compared to normal Cobra's handling faster in a straight line although it has less hp so it is a contender and it cost the same as a Cobra.

blah
09-26-2004, 05:08 PM
id rather have a S351 Saleen.

T-Bird
09-26-2004, 05:12 PM
id rather have a S351 Saleen.

S281 :wink:
unless you buy it used
Also check out Saleens new site they finally updated it and it's much better
www.saleen.com

blah
09-26-2004, 05:14 PM
about damn time. It was like looking at a site designed by some high schooler. And no not S281, S351 Used. :twisted: or the SR would work too.

T-Bird
09-26-2004, 05:20 PM
I have to say the Roush Turbo Focus is going to be fast once it is available, they claim an 85% hp increase with just the Turbo kit.

Also the S281 extreme from Saleen is pretty damn impressive with 445hp and 450ft/lb torque that being the best you can get from them unless you buy an S7

noliebro
09-27-2004, 01:24 AM
has anyone mentioned the price difference between a new supposed C5 and a supposed Cobra will probaly be like 20 to 30 grand?

blah
09-27-2004, 01:43 AM
has anyone mentioned the price difference between a new supposed C5 and a supposed Cobra will probaly be like 20 to 30 grand?

what ya talking bout? the new C6 corvette is only about 10 grand more than the out going cobras MSRP.

nthfinity
09-27-2004, 11:38 AM
what ya talking bout? the new C6 corvette is only about 10 grand more than the out going cobras MSRP.

insentives are quite huge getting the last of the current cobras off the lot. you could get the 2004 cobra for near 30,000$ after all the rebates, or have a super long 3 year lease until you get the new 07 cobra. great deals are to be had :)

FoxFour
09-29-2004, 03:09 PM
My old SVO would say otherwise, both when the suspension was in stock or modified form

actually no it couldnt versus the same year.. could be the nut behind the wheel or the lower versus higher model.. but a mustang suspension just isnt as good as a camaros from 82+...

It cant keep versus the top of the line camaros of the time. The mustang suspension is inherintly flawed. (mostly in the rear due to what is commonly refered to as qudra bind). the camaros was superior in every way in terms of suspension design (the benefit of using a pan hard rod system, which is so much better that alot of mustang guys switch over to the system). Even the guys road racing mustangs will tell you that. Theres a reason the 80s camaros where car and drivers car of the year and the late 80s irocs pulled .92 g on the skid pad. In the 90s there is simply no contest... mcpherson strut cant compete with sla in modified form and the rear was still qudra binding like crazy in the mustang

until the year 2017, the Camaro can not be made anywhere else but at the place where the last gen models were built

actually its 2007 not 2017. Information direct from the mouth of the brand manager of camaro when I talked to him a year ago.

Have you ever driven an SVO? I did, for 13 years and I can tell you that even though what you may have seen from design blueprints of both cars suspension, the SVO was an overlooked, underestimated vehicle. And I don't drive on a skidpad. :roll: I'm not knocking the F- body.

actually its 2007 not 2017. Information direct from the mouth of the brand manager of camaro when I talked to him a year ago.[/quote]

Officially, GM wanted to tear down the plant because of their belief the property was more valuable as a vacant lot than a 2.1 million square-foot plant, much too large for just about any use other than a high-production vehicle factory. Keep in mind, however, that the plant also had a mandate that it would be the sole source for Camaros and Firebirds. It now begins to come into focus that any comment on a future Camaro or Firebird prior to the plant's disposal, via sale or demolition, perhaps could very well create a situation where GM would be compelled to keep the plant. From a legal perspective, it might be construed that any future car that carried the name Camaro or Firebird would have to be made at this plant, at least till 2017, the year all Canadian government loans are to be repaid.

http://popularhotrodding.com/features/0409phr_camaro/

RC45
09-29-2004, 03:34 PM
This is grounds enough for me to hate Canada.. :P

Farging Canadian Auto Workers Union... what ever... :roll:

graywolf624
09-29-2004, 05:06 PM
Officially, GM wanted to tear down the plant because of their belief the property was more valuable as a vacant lot than a 2.1 million square-foot plant, much too large for just about any use other than a high-production vehicle factory. Keep in mind, however, that the plant also had a mandate that it would be the sole source for Camaros and Firebirds. It now begins to come into focus that any comment on a future Camaro or Firebird prior to the plant's disposal, via sale or demolition, perhaps could very well create a situation where GM would be compelled to keep the plant. From a legal perspective, it might be construed that any future car that carried the name Camaro or Firebird would have to be made at this plant, at least till 2017, the year all Canadian government loans are to be repaid.

and im telling you its wrong.. I talked to the man in charge of what happens to the camaro.. its 2007.. prolly a typo by them.

graywolf624
09-29-2004, 05:07 PM
Have you ever driven an SVO? I did, for 13 years and I can tell you that even though what you may have seen from design blueprints of both cars suspension, the SVO was an overlooked, underestimated vehicle. And I don't drive on a skidpad. I'm not knocking the F- body.

yes I have.. in fact.. i know a few people that road race them.. theyll tell you the same thing i just did.

FoxFour
09-30-2004, 11:22 AM
Yes, the Fox body, like the F-body, does have some inherent flaws. But for road racing , these flaws can be overcome. For a street car, just adding aftermarket lower control arms can solve most of the problems (rear bind)and for the street that is usually enough.

graywolf624
09-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Yes, the Fox body, like the F-body, does have some inherent flaws. But for road racing , these flaws can be overcome. For a street car, just adding aftermarket lower control arms can solve most of the problems (rear bind)and for the street that is usually enough.

errnn.. wrong..

The fbody is far superior in the number and type of flaws. (specifically with the ability to better rear locate the rear axle, and on the newer models to better control dynamic camber up front). but neither can be overcome ultimately.. the fbody makes a good budget racer.. the mustang just means your different.

Lower control arms wont solve the problems.. its an inheret issue with binding at the shock mounts.. that isnt solveable without custom mounting a pan hard rod or watts link.. neither are cheap or easy.. Thats the way most of the good mustang guys will go.. but ultimately it would never compete with a corvette with even half the money into it. And dont get me started on the multi link.. which is so bad road racers go back to the solid axle on the cobras.
The mustang is not a handler.. want more proof.. notice the new mustang suspension is almost an exact copy of a third gen camaro suspension and far superior to this generation..(step up.. but not where it needs to be)

Griggs website has a good discussion of many of the mustangs fatal flaws.:
http://www.griggsracing.com/suspension.html

Also try cornercarvers.. most of our members are mustang guys but will tell you straight up that it isnt the best choice, the the camaro even is far superior.. and then will go off on qudra bind and such.

It isnt a knock about ford.. just realize how old the suspension system on last mustang actually is.

FoxFour
10-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Yes, I go to corner-carvers,com. Most all are dicks even though they are knowledgeable. What do a lot of the corner carvers guys drive? Mustangs. They like the cars, even with all the flaws. And besides, you are also talking about road racing these cars. First off , when I was starting to talk about Mustangs (and SVO's) was mainly talking about street performance and I thiught that you were too, you know; you were talking about skidpad numbers of both street cars. And we must both agree on this, when it comes to criving both cars in the corners, it will mainly end up being who's the better driver. Thanks for showing me the griggs site about the Mustang flaws. I did bookmark that.

graywolf624
10-01-2004, 11:38 PM
Yes, I go to corner-carvers,com. Most all are dicks even though they are knowledgeable. What do a lot of the corner carvers guys drive? Mustangs. They like the cars, even with all the flaws. And besides, you are also talking about road racing these cars. First off , when I was starting to talk about Mustangs (and SVO's) was mainly talking about street performance and I thiught that you were too, you know; you were talking about skidpad numbers of both street cars. And we must both agree on this, when it comes to criving both cars in the corners, it will mainly end up being who's the better driver. Thanks for showing me the griggs site about the Mustang flaws. I did bookmark that.

Well realizing I'm a) a sr member of corner carvers.. b) a road racer.
I couldnt care less about the street.. cause I follow the cc montra.. it only belongs on the track. Ya think the pictures of the road racing camaro I sold not that long ago, the articles on brakes and suspension I wrote and posted here.. ect.. that itd be obvious..
Maybe you didnt see them though so Ill give you benefit of doubt.

That being said, with no money in the budget Ive been reduced to spending my weekends pitting for my buddies drag racing.. oh well.. another year and ill be back.

FoxFour
10-02-2004, 11:25 AM
That's great. One day, when funds are looking good and I have more time. Would like to participate in track events. Me and my best friend have been talking about participating in the Targa Newfoundland event sometime in the future. Whether it will actually happen..
Now let's get back to the World Political Debate forum, since me and you are one of the few people with similar political ideals and I love making those guys angry over there. :D