PDA

View Full Version : AMG's V8 Kompressor?

Bilal786
09-17-2003, 07:11 AM
I know you're all di hard Ferrari/Porsche/lambo fans. And handling and laps of the Nordschliefe are your top priority, but I was wondering how much you guys appreciate AMG offerings. I mean compare the performance of a 2 ton beast with the best of the rest.... BTW the CL hit its second stage limiter, so it still gotta bit of juice left...

http://www.motortrend.com/multimedia/mtvideo/

heath
09-17-2003, 08:09 AM
as big a porsche and ring fan as I am (hmm....ring fan just doesn't sound right...) I still love a good AMG! I'm a big brabus fan also...but yeh...GO THE S CLASS! and the AMG SL55!! Handling and performance isn't always everything....sometimes a buttock massaging drivers seat is...

stracing
09-17-2003, 10:21 AM
i'd love an amg to show off

lauriv
09-17-2003, 04:25 PM
Yea, the AMG-s are cool cars, just like the RS Audis and M Bimmers, good performance and good comfort. It'd be nice to know just what an CL 65 AMG could do on the track, i suppose it'd manage a competitive time. Btw in a recent EVO magazine they drove a Maybach 62 around the 'Ring. They didn't clock it, but said it was amazingly nimble. Crazy :roll:

ferrari550
09-17-2003, 04:50 PM
i don't mind AMG, they style the cars nice. not as good as brabus or anything but they are nice all the same. my friends has the old model clk55 amg, pretty fast car, it is just stupid that there is no manuel offered, anyone know why?
They are going to stuff the new 65 amg motor in the SL as well, i would like to see what that would be like :D :D :D

Johns
09-17-2003, 06:51 PM
the New AMG are fuckin beasts!! and now that theyre going 65 is even siiicker! the SL65 is going to be a Monster.

Bilal786
09-17-2003, 07:29 PM
Finally, a website where people appreciate all cars...

The reasons why no manual is offered is because 80% of AMG customers want automatics, plus no manual in the world is capable of passing Mercedes-Benz's current stringent safety and reliability tests. the V8K engine produces insane amounts of torque very low down in the rev range, for an ordinary manual gearbox, we'd need a ceramic clutch and that just won't be cheap enough. That is why the Zonda can have a manual, it produces slightly more torque but at 4000rpm's plus, where there is no inherent danger of that annyoing and slightly embarrassing smell of burnt clutch...BMW's have their manual built from Getrag. For me, a Mercedes is never about manual gearboxes.

On a different note, the CL65 with 603BHP is just 1.7 seconds slower than the SLR from 0-124mph (or 0-200km/hr). There were internal fights with AMG's CEO and Mercedes that caused the former to resign. Mercedes put pressure on AMG not to release the 65 models since they are extremely powerful and they will embarass the SLR for torque.

The CL65 engine (5980cc V12 Bi-Turbo) is capable of producing 1200NM of torque and "over" 700BHP, however it has been heavily detuned (603BHP/1000Nm) to protect Mercedes' own HEAVILY reinforced 5 SPD Auto. Mercedes has introduced 7 SPD Autos but they are not capable of handling the torque generated by these engines, and AMG models in future will not get these transmissions, instead a heavily upgraded 5 SPD.

Already being strangled by Mercedes, AMG is planning to unleash engines capable of 922lb/ft of torque by the end of next year.