PDA

View Full Version : Aston Martin AMV8

oeggermo
09-17-2003, 06:23 AM
Hello All,

I'm new to this site. So this is my first post. I would like to begin with the most beautiful car ever build so far, that is of course my opinion.

The Aston Martin AMV8

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/large/1589-2.jpg
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/large/1589-3.jpg
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/large/1589-4.jpg

For all the new cars, pictures and specifications look at

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/

A really good site.

I hope you like my first post.

P.S. The best car ever made until now: McLaren F1 (without any doubt) :!:

stradale
09-17-2003, 06:46 AM
Good to see you here, oeggermo.

Nice post, although I don't know if this has been posted before. Anyway, I like it.

This car is bound to lure some 911 buyers away. I heard it's going to cost around 100.000 euros.

Jabba
09-17-2003, 06:58 AM
I hope you like my first post.

Nope cant say that I do...as I hate Aston Martins....

Anyway I am moving it to where it belongs...in the rubbish along with all Aston Martins...I mean the car gallery.... :roll:

Imre
09-17-2003, 11:55 AM
Nice pics,but I have seen it with red rear lights and then it looked better.
to Jabba:Why are you against astons?It`s british car and you should be proud.

Jabba
09-17-2003, 12:11 PM
I have lost count at the amount of times I have posted my reasons for not liking aston martin...if you cant be bothered to search then I cant be bothered to re-post....tiff needell proved how they handle...or rather how they dont....they are fine if your a boring old fart not looking for any excitement in life ...but if you want a supercar that drives and handles as well as it looks...then good luck to finding something better than Ferrari....oh and btw the Enzo would crush the Mclaren F1 around the ring (there was a recent thread about this explaining why)...and the Enzo costs half as much even in todays money...making it affordable as well....

draak666
09-17-2003, 12:28 PM
and the Enzo costs half as much even in todays money...making it affordable as well....
Affordable??? :shock:

ferrari550
09-17-2003, 12:37 PM
pics are not bad. i do not mind aston martin but ferrari is and ALWAYS will be better for daily driving supercars.
i personally think car manufacturers are making their cars to futuristic. i just think it is an easy way out for them. not every company has done so but i think too many have.

Jabba
09-17-2003, 12:43 PM
and the Enzo costs half as much even in todays money...making it affordable as well....
Affordable??? :shock:

I mean look at how many Enzos we have already seen in use...and even private owners taking them to the track...the Mclaren was just too damn expensive and hence died.....

scubywrxr
09-17-2003, 01:15 PM
$35 000 for a brake change is affordable? I guess we not in the same money leagues as u oh mighty Jabba :wink:

I will stick to me ragtop 360 thank u sir!

Jabba
09-17-2003, 01:20 PM
Well a cambelt service is £2975 on a 355 from a main dealer...I pay just over £800 to some ex-main dealer mechanics....so yes the brakes are still going to be expensive on an enzo...but I bet your also paying a shit load of cash in labour..for the fact you can afford an Enzo and therefore you can afford to be ripped off...

same as the lambo...that had horrific running costs from the main dealer as well...a new clutch being £4,500 I pay just £1,200....

I mean can it really cost $25,000 to service a Mclaren...surely it would be nearer to $5,000 and the other $20,000 is because you paid $1 million for the car in the first place....

surely some of you guys know how much money you have saved by working on your own cars compared to what dealers charge for even the most simplest of jobs....

oeggermo
09-17-2003, 05:24 PM
The Enzo has been tested by ferrari test drivers themselves and has never been officially tested, the McLaren is still the best and fastest car in the world. The best, that is my opinion, but the fastes, see guiness book of records 2000. Although recently a new Caterham has broken one of the records that the McLaren had, the record from 0 - 100 and back to 0. He did this 0.20 sec faster then the McLaren......after 10 years. Still the McLaren has an normally asperate engine, so no superchargers or turbo's. I'm not saying I don't like Ferrari, but I'm just defending the best car EVER!

stradale
09-17-2003, 05:26 PM
Most people buying a McLaren wouldn't even expect anything less. I think you'd be surprised how many of them would be disappointed if the bill looked anything like the bill for servicing a normal car. Lots of them probably even think it's cool to say: "You can buy a good car for the amount of money a service for my F1 costs."

Jabba
09-17-2003, 05:59 PM
I'm not saying I don't like Ferrari, but I'm just defending the best car EVER!

If it was the best car ever then it would be continued to be made or developed...but of course we know it was scrapped because it was classed as a "financial failure" by Mclaren along with the Jag XJ220.....

I cant understand why anyone would want to take that ageing dinosaur over the Enzo thats fitted with the latest cutting edge Ferrari formula one technology....

Both Mclaren and Jaguar learned a very costly mistake with their "supercars"...and now leave building supercars to the experts...Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche

Jabba
09-17-2003, 06:06 PM
Lots of them probably even think it's cool to say: "You can buy a good car for the amount of money a service for my F1 costs."

Yes we call them dick heads here.....

oeggermo
09-17-2003, 06:09 PM
On that matter I have to agree with you, the price is a little too high, but what a car and what a performance!!!

You now what the funny thing is about all the new cars, they all have almost the same problem. If you want to race really heavy, you turn the tracksion control off, but if you go really crazy, it will turn automatically back on, no matter what you paid for your car or what kind of car you are driving.....except for the McLarenF1, BMW M3 and the M5(the latest versions).

Funny.....or not?

Jabba
09-17-2003, 06:14 PM
On that matter I have to agree with you, the price is a little too high, but what a car and what a performance!!!

I only like the seating position....the rest you can keep...at least Ferrari can build their own engines and dont have to get BMW to build them for the Enzo....

draak666
09-17-2003, 06:24 PM
I kinda like the idea that they went to other suppliers, just to find the best parts for the car.

Jabba
09-17-2003, 06:28 PM
Yep a $1 million kit car....lovely.... :wink:

SFDMALEX
09-17-2003, 06:48 PM
Yep a $1 million kit car....lovely.... :wink:

Exactly.! I dont have much respect for manufacturers who do not make their own engines. Thats why I havnt liked the Macca so much, or the Zonda.

alondahan
09-17-2003, 11:21 PM

You now what the funny thing is about all the new cars, they all have almost the same problem. If you want to race really heavy, you turn the tracksion control off, but if you go really crazy, it will turn automatically back on, no matter what you paid for your car or what kind of car you are driving.....except for the McLarenF1, BMW M3 and the M5(the latest versions).

Funny.....or not?

as far as I know only mercedes has tc that turns back on. every other manufacturer has a tc that can be turned off.

datzun
09-17-2003, 11:46 PM
sweet ride :)

cho_888
09-18-2003, 08:15 AM
i thin this is one of the smoothest cars out there. i love the shape, whats wrong with it?

Jabba
09-18-2003, 08:18 AM
it doesnt handle....I like cars that drive well... as well as look nice (such as a Ferrari)....

stradale
09-18-2003, 09:02 AM
To my knowledge nobody knows how this AMV8 handles. Besides it's a show car. The production model (DB8?) isn't here yet, so we don't know how that's going to handle either.

EVO is quite satisfied with their longtermer and I also recall JC being very positive about the DB7 GT.

When it comes down to personal taste, every debate ends. But I really don't believe Aston Martins are bad cars. I also think their character is different than that of Ferrari's. At least, than that of the non GT Ferrari's.

Jabba
09-18-2003, 09:14 AM
I also recall JC being very positive about the DB7 GT.

as I do about him and Damon Hill prefering the Ferrari 575 M to the Vanquish....

I have been on many track days and have seen plenty of Ferraris, Lambos, Porsche, Scoobys, Impreza, Lotus, TVR....honestly the list goes on and on inc F40 and F50....but never ever an Aston...or thinking about it even any decent videos of Astons round the track...(except for the stigg spinning off in Top Gear) hmm I wonder why....

however I see at least 3 per week on the road in my neck of the woods... all driven by 70 year olds driving along no quicker than a milk float....

draak666
09-18-2003, 09:24 AM
Never judge a car by the people who drive it, Jabba. My friends make fun of me because I drive a BMW. You'll aggree that it's a pretty goodlooking and goohandling car, right? However, plenty of young showoffs buy second hand BMWs and drive it inappropriately on the road. It pisses me off that they ruin the image of my car. So that's why I believe you should judge the Aston like any other car only on it's own characteristics.

stradale
09-18-2003, 09:30 AM
They did prefer the 575 M, but both were very positive about the Vanquish too. The Ferrari was just a better a car and I probably would have agreed if I would have been there (now that's a nice thought). I'm not sure what would have happened if the Fiorano handling package hadn't been fitted on the 575, though.

What I meant with character might explain why you don't see Astons at track days. They're GT cars and Aston Martin is not associated with racing cars anymore by most people nowadays. Ferrari's are. Astons appeal to other people than Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, etc.

Too bad old folks drive them though. That's not entirely the car's fault and doesn't automatically mean they're bad cars. Aston Martins deserve better IMO. And they deserve better drivers as well.

Jabba
09-18-2003, 09:32 AM
So that's why I believe you should judge the Aston like any other car only on it's own characteristics.

Yes I do and thats why I think its crap.....and if your not going to judge a car by the experts that drive it such as Tiff Needell showing us how crap the Aston Martin is...then why bother to watch any review shows such as 5th and top gear ???

draak666
09-18-2003, 09:41 AM
Hey, If I were to go on a track I'd also choose a Ferrari over an Aston anytime. But for other occasions, like a simple drive on the public road I would definitely not rule the Aston out.

Jabba
09-18-2003, 09:42 AM
What I meant with character might explain why you don't see Astons at track days. They're GT cars and Aston Martin is not associated with racing cars anymore by most people nowadays. Ferrari's are. Astons appeal to other people than Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, etc.

And thats exactly why I dont like Aston Martins...or Ferrari owners that keep their cars in their garages for that matter....

I like to drive my cars and drive them hard....thats where the real fun is.....not pottering around with all the old age pensioners in their aston martins

stradale
09-18-2003, 10:00 AM
And thats exactly why I dont like Aston Martins...or Ferrari owners that keep their cars in their garages for that matter....

I like to drive my cars and drive them hard....thats where the real fun is.....not pottering around with all the old age pensioners in their aston martins

I understand what you're saying and I couldn't agree more, but that's no reason to call Aston Martins bad cars.

I have a Top Gear clip by the way which shows Tiff raving about the Vantage Le Mans. I know Astons don't handle as well as Ferrari's. Certainly not on the track. And I would choose Ferrari over Aston Martin too. But there's a huge gap between Ferrari handling better than Aston Martin and Aston Martin being crap. That's all I'm saying.

Jabba
09-18-2003, 10:07 AM
ok maybe unfair to call them "crap" as very few cars are really ...therefore I shall retract that comment....but for the reasons already mentioned...they are just not my cup of tea...neither are corvettes while were on that subject or any car that looks like a clowns shoe for the exact same reasons.....

stradale
09-18-2003, 10:16 AM
LOL! Alright Jabba, we understand eachother.

And on the subject of Corvettes too, apparently. Now where's Omega-red?

Jabba
09-18-2003, 10:31 AM
I used to talk to Omega-red quite a bit on MSN a while back...then known as Panther XR...he never stopped telling me how great he thought the F 355 was...and even designed the web page for my supercar showdown video....he was banned from RF as Panther XR and returned as Omega Red...also becoming the ultimate vette fan...that O-Ace also happens to own....hmmmmm.....

stradale
09-18-2003, 10:46 AM
A while ago I thought I'd check what was going on at RF and found one of many Euro vs USA threads where he called Ferrari Faggari every chance he got. And just went on and on about how great the Vette was and how shitty, overrated, overpriced etc etc Ferrari's are. He (or maybe his buddy dokter doom) actually said only people who don't know anything about cars liked Ferrari's. I just puked and returned to JW. Haven't been back at the RF forum since.

This is quite a different impression of him than what you just told me. Weird, to say the least.

Jabba
09-18-2003, 10:49 AM
yep he only wanted to start a fight I think...I did make a few replys but when he posted this...then I knew he was just trying to pull my strings....

"Both Rice cars and Ferrari ( modena, f355) sound like tomato fart can"

stracing
09-18-2003, 11:39 AM
at least the sound of a ferrari v8 gets into my ears first