PDA

View Full Version : Who the Best Formula 1 driver now?

XyKo
06-15-2003, 12:20 PM
Just want to know. Is it still M. Shumacher, J. Villenueve, and D. Coulthard? I remember couple of years back, Villenueve was good as hell in renault.

TT
06-15-2003, 01:15 PM
Even if I don't like him very much, Schumacher is still the best out there, coupled with the Ferrari... Kimi is also good, but maybe still to young, but if I'd have to bet on the next ruler of F1, I'd put my money on him :)

coombsie66
06-15-2003, 03:30 PM
I'd put money on alonso being the next shumacer, mayb not quite as gud, but i recon he'll b the next big thing. Plus that renult is handeling like a dream!! Just sum more bhp needed, come on renult!!!

gis
06-15-2003, 04:11 PM
kimi is my fav driver at the moment,but unfortunately m schumacher i think is still the best driver,but he better watch his back coz alonso is movin up the ladder

noosee
06-15-2003, 04:23 PM
Shumi is the one. And he will be till 2006 :wink:

Kimi has potential to be like Shummi in the future.

maalox
06-15-2003, 07:15 PM
Montoya has shown that he can drive extrmely competitively, but he still screws up from time to time. If he can get a handle on that, he could be very good.

SplitVision8
06-15-2003, 09:54 PM
Even if I don't like him very much, Schumacher is still the best out there, coupled with the Ferrari... Kimi is also good, but maybe still to young, but if I'd have to bet on the next ruler of F1, I'd put my money on him :)

I couldn't agree with you more TT

yugo
06-16-2003, 08:20 PM
This year in the first part of season the best is alonso. He has a car bad that mclaren, ferrari, bmw and he is third in the list, only shumacher and raikonen are top him.
Alonso in a ferrari could win 3 or 4 races this year, He only is 21 years.

stracing
06-16-2003, 08:55 PM
with kimi, montoya and alonso is very good new eh, at least there will be life in f1 when schuey retires.

i like schuey but i thought f1 will be very dull when he leaves but this year it has proved me wrong

toprpm
06-17-2003, 09:52 AM
Montoya

is going to take the leads ...but he needs more time in the F1 play ground

yunet
06-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Shumi is still the king!!
:D :D :D
Kimi and Montoya are also nice!!

coombsie66
06-17-2003, 01:22 PM
The problem at the moment, is a drivers pure talent can be shielded by the quality of the team/car he races in. Although im looking 4ward 2 silverstone, when they take away traction control, mite bring sum new faces 2 the front!?? and wet races will b gud 2 watch just 4 teh powerslides!!!!!!
I think the wings on the cars need 2 b changed, 2 allow the car behind 2 b less disrupted when it gets on the ass of the one infront! (like in CART), passings wat races r about so i wanna c sum!!!!!!!!!

HoboPie
06-18-2003, 01:53 AM
I thought they postponed the new traction control rules until next season. The FIA said something about not having the resources to effectively enforce that rule at this time.

coombsie66
06-18-2003, 03:38 PM
Oh bollox, i hope they havent, i wus looking forward 2 seeing sum controlled tail out action! Where did u hear that 'I-want-ferrari'??

SDK2003
06-18-2003, 05:55 PM
I thought they postponed the new traction control rules until next season. The FIA said something about not having the resources to effectively enforce that rule at this time.

^ Yup he's right

toprpm
06-19-2003, 07:32 AM
it wen't be racing if they used the traction cuntrol

scubywrxr
06-19-2003, 04:54 PM
Shumacher is the best

Kimi, Alonso, Montoya and Weber are next in line in no particular order( in my opinion). Villneuve is a bit washed up. Its a pity he does not have the technical know how of Schumi or the tact to surround himself with the best designers and engineers. Thats why after 4 years he is still in an also ran car no matter the money spent on it. He will be lucky to get a drive in a WDC car next year..

:roll:

scubywrxr
07-16-2003, 03:55 PM
I hate to admit it but Schoomi-doo is still the best.. alonso is highly rated, I think Kimi is going to blast past everyone if he does not fall of the track in the near future. Montoya needs to lose some Kgs- he is to fat arsed these days (he weighs 20kgs more than Ralf ) once he stays off the steak for a few weeks maybe he will gain some speed.. 10 kgs is worth about 0.3 secs on an average GP circuit

tekwar
07-18-2003, 12:26 PM
although im a mclaren fan, there is no doubting schumys talent. Kimi and alonso are really bright young talents that look to take over the reign in the near future. Montoya has had his glimpses of promise, but is quite inconsistent. Webber is also another solid prospect for the future. But i think we should give some credit to Justin Wilson too. he has performed remarkably well in his first season for a minnow team. His first laps have become famous.

kRoNiK420
08-07-2003, 07:56 PM
of today's drivers i have to say michael schumacher, david coulthard, jos verstappen
future greats: juan pablo montoya, kimi raikkonen, fernando alonso

tekwar
08-07-2003, 11:36 PM
of today's drivers i have to say michael schumacher, david coulthard, jos verstappen
future greats: juan pablo montoya, kimi raikkonen, fernando alonso

jos verstappen? okie i love that guy, but he hasnt in his f1 racing career ever demonstrated that he was one of the top drivers. This guys has been on the f1 scene for a long time now and he struggled to get back in F1 after Arrows died. Regardless i love him and i hope he does well for Minardi.

SPAD
05-04-2004, 06:48 PM
Schumi all the way! his only falt is that he is not ITALIAN! lol

yg60m
05-05-2004, 01:10 AM
LOL ! you make the old thread back to life :wink:

Even if i don't really like him, I must admit Schumacher is always on the top.
Some experts says that he has less "natural" raw than Kimi or Juan but i'm not convinced and he's obviously the most complete.
Even when he drive Go-Kart, nobody can resist him.

Max Power
05-05-2004, 09:48 AM
Shumi, easily....but I guess the question was who is best after...
Having seen the development of this year, its obviously Button....he drives for a sub-par car with a new engine, and has beaten BMW, Renault, Ferrari and McLaren.
If things continue the way they are, he'll soon be looking at Shumi eye to eye...sort of the way Raikkonen did last year

noosee
05-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Shumi and only him so far.

sameerrao
05-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Regenmeister himself - Schuey

5vz-fe
05-05-2004, 03:26 PM
Schumi Schumi Schumi Schumi Schumi Schumi Schumi Schumi Schumi Schumi
Schumi Schumi Schumi Montoya sucks like hell Schumi Schumi Schumi Schumi

jorge
05-05-2004, 04:10 PM
There´s no one like Schumacher and Ferrari right now, but in the future i would say Alonso and Raikkonen are going to be on the top

hiroshima
05-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Nowadays there are no questions about it: Michael Schumacher is the best driver competing in Formula 1. The best young driver to me is Alonso! He proved that he can be very efficient.

szumszer
05-06-2004, 11:21 PM
schumi is best by far, it is not even close
so the question really is, who besides schumi is the best driver in F1
I hate JPM, but he is good, competitive, feisty and arrogant enough to challenge anyone and fight for his place
Button is good, but it remains to be seen if he can continue to finish on the podium, and if his car can remain competitive during rest of the year
but these drivers both have good cars, and they cannot compete with schumi
given a good car, only kimi would be able to challenge schumi this year, maybe alanso, but more likely kimi is best of the rest

3D_CARD
05-15-2004, 04:36 PM
Schumi is no doubt the NO.1 -- he's just way too strong for the rest of the field apart from great Senna.

Kimi and Jenson will be my picks for future champ.

kteo2003
05-15-2004, 07:53 PM
i think that at this time the best is weber....he has a bad car and he goes surprisingly good...the same did when he was at the minardi...i think he is a real talent...you cannot tell if schumi is the best because simply he has the ultimate car and the whole team including barichello are "working" for him...the same does the FIA bernie is a close friend of schumacher.....
i vote for weber....

DMbaseball1604
05-16-2004, 01:39 AM
I definitely agree, Schumi is the best..and I think either him or Senna are the best ever..however I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Montoya..or maybe I just missed it, I think he will have a lot of potential to win more races if he goes to McLaren...especially if he is Raikkonen's team mate...they will push each other harder..it would be like the senna and prost battles a while back just hopefully not that intense

he7lius
05-16-2004, 01:44 AM
I don't like Shumi but without a doubt he’s the best driver. And the best of the young drivers is Kimi. :D
For me he's a more complete driver the Alonso.

Other complete driver and very good with a good car is Weeber and Jenson.

MB300E87
05-17-2004, 01:50 AM
schumi just has a talent that can be compared to the likes of Ali, Jordan, and Tiger. theres good, and then theres great. and hes up there. there really is no touching him.

Kimi will get up there in time. hes just very young and its going to take some time.. not to mention a reliable car.

gldnboy
05-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Schumacher is awesome, but not the best, i think. It helps when you have a $35m budget backing you, and you drive for Ferrari 8)

Caps8419
05-18-2004, 01:20 AM
i'd go for alonso or kimi.... montoyas a bitch... and very inconsistant at least this year so far... i hope he doesn't win at monaco.... anyways. Yea kimi is definalty impressive if only his car worked and alonso definatly could get ahead if only renault could squeeze more power. they got a great chassis and that cool locking clutch which really helps on the first stint..... just my 2 cents.......

oh yea, Shumacher still rules!

Tyrek
05-18-2004, 01:52 PM
Ok, I'm new here (be gentle with me....) - Hi to you all.

I find it interesting that no one rates Rubens as no 2, despite the fact that he is 2nd on the drivers list - there's much to be said for the car......

Tyrek
05-18-2004, 01:54 PM
Schumacher is awesome, but not the best, i think. It helps when you have a $35m budget backing you, and you drive for Ferrari 8)

The difference is more than just the car - look at how far ahead of Rubens Barrichello he finishes.....

Tyrek
05-18-2004, 01:59 PM
i think that at this time the best is weber....he has a bad car and he goes surprisingly good...the same did when he was at the minardi...i think he is a real talent...you cannot tell if schumi is the best because simply he has the ultimate car and the whole team including barichello are "working" for him...the same does the FIA bernie is a close friend of schumacher.....
i vote for weber....

I like your thinking.... Considering the car he has to work with Webber is a miracle worker

sameerrao
05-18-2004, 06:16 PM
i'd go for alonso or kimi.... montoyas a bitch... and very inconsistant at least this year so far... i hope he doesn't win at monaco.... anyways. Yea kimi is definalty impressive if only his car worked and alonso definatly could get ahead if only renault could squeeze more power. they got a great chassis and that cool locking clutch which really helps on the first stint..... just my 2 cents.......

oh yea, Shumacher still rules!

I think the valid criticism one can level at Montoya is from a personality standpoint - he moans and whines a lot, makes foolish comments, childish, resembles a keg of TNT about to explode :D , etc. All this has been documented ad nauseum on this board ...

However, I take exception to your comments that he is an inconsistent driver. He's been a safe pair of hands this year hasn't he? I mean if he is "inconsistent", I wonder what you would say about Ralfie boy?? He has outqualified Ralf all this year and has been heading for podiums in almost all races except for car trouble. Frank Williams publicly quoted that Montoya at his driving at his best. Note that Frank Williams does not praise just anyone...

Also Montoya was consistently fighting all year long last year as well.

Therefore from a driving standpoint he certainly belongs in the near top echelon along with Alonso and Kimi. I would reserve the top exclusively for Schumi.

Ok, I'm new here (be gentle with me....) - Hi to you all.

I find it interesting that no one rates Rubens as no 2, despite the fact that he is 2nd on the drivers list - there's much to be said for the car......

Welcome to JW... Its easy to acknowledge Rubens as a great driver but IMO he would be rated better if he drove for a different team. He is No. 2 at Ferrari for a good reason - Michael is faster (on average).

This is speculation on my part - years of being consistently No. 2 may have dulled Rubens' competitive edge. When Schumacher retires would Rubens take over seamlessly? Will Ferrari continue to dominate? I am not sure... I don't know if Ferrari themselves believe in Rubens as a leader - they always make Rubens constract extension a fraught affair - signing him a few months after they sign up Schumacher...

Rubens is in my opinion the equal of Michael in the wet - Michael is better in changing conditions but when the circuit is soaked both are on par. But Rubens is not as consistent as Michael. Michael can do much better than Rubens with a bad car....

To put it another way, Michael's sheer brilliance is stealing all of Rubens thunder....

In 1999, Rubens looked like the next champion, he qualified supremely well and was scoring points well ahead of his team mate. He gave his team better results than it deserved. At the time it was thought that he might put up a good fight against Michael... Yeah Right....

IMHO, if Ferrari had substituted Montoya or Kimi or whoever else you want instead of Rubens back in 2000, the results would not have been drastically different. Michael would still be 6X WDC....

dons5
05-20-2004, 03:36 AM
Schumi
Fisi
Alonso

Kimi and Montoya almost up there with those 3

dons5
05-20-2004, 03:41 AM
Actually what I have heard is, is that based on Natural Speed/Talent Fisi is even faster then M schumi its just Fisi doesnt have the brain of Schumi like that Robot side of Schumi, but then again noone does lol

so_innocent
05-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Personally, i believe M. Schumacher is still the best out there, however i also rate Alonso, Kimi and Webber very highly.

Coulthard seems to have passed his time n i dun personally like Montoya, he's got a serious attitude problem

dons5
05-21-2004, 06:13 PM
ahah Coulthard was never top material