PDA

View Full Version : Forza Motorsport

FordGTGuy
08-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Are you passionate about cars and racing? Then, Forza Motorsport is your game. Own, customize, and race your favorite cars in the most technologically advanced and realistic driving sim yet.

Use race earnings to buy upgrades and aftermarket parts, so you can transform real production cars into high-performance racers. On the track, experience an impressively accurate simulation, while putting your performance-tuned creations to the test against the online gaming world on Xbox Live™.-xbox.com

http://pics.xs.to/pics/04084/forza2.jpg

Make every car yours: Collect models from more than 60 top car manufacturers, including Mazda, Nissan, Mercedes-Benz, Honda, Chevrolet, Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, and Dodge. Trick out sport compacts with real-world body kits, rims, spoilers, decals, side skirts, fender flares, and hood scoops. Add motorsport decals and team paint-schemes to supercars, GT racers, and exotics. Transform production cars into racetrack monsters.

Tune it up: Take your car to the garage and install alternative engines, suspension kits, bolt-on superchargers, brakes, rims, racing slicks, and more. Fine-tune gear ratios, fuel-mapping, forced-induction pressure, tire temperature and pressure, and ignition timing for the ultimate setup.

Experience the most technically advanced driving simulation on Xbox: Top automotive engineers teamed with experienced programmers to create an advanced physics engine for Forza Motorsport, designed to simulates authentic car performance. Cars incur damage and wear, which affects car performance. Advanced tire and suspension models respond to heat and pressure changes as well as weight transfer and aerodynamic load.

Drive in gorgeous track environments: From the famously challenging Nurburgring Nordschleife to the spectator-lined streets of Rio de Janeiro, race on meticulously designed tracks with an incredible sense of speed and realism.

Check out the revolutionary A.I. Drivatar™ technology: Train your own A.I. “Drivatars” to use the same racing techniques you do, so they can race for you in competitions or train new drivers on your team. Drivatar technology is the foundation of the human-like A.I. in Forza Motorsport.

Take online racing to the next level:From intense multiplayer wheel-to-wheel racing to challenging individual bests and beyond, Forza Motorsport’s Xbox Live gameplay will deliver innovations that reinvent the
online racing experience.

Enjoy a graphical showcase on the most powerful console: Well-balanced reflections, lighting, and shadows tie together highly detailed cars and smooth-edged environments. Camera effects like blooming, lens flare, heat shimmer, light rays, depth of field, and haze create TV-quality presentation. Unique road textures, surface irregularities, persistent oil and skid marks, and scraped walls deliver an incredible sense of speed. -xbox.com

http://pics.xs.to/pics/04084/forza1.jpg

IGN Articles:
http://xbox.ign.com/objects/682/682857.html?ui=gamefinder

Xbox.com Forza Web Page:
http://www.xbox.com/en-us/forza/default.htm

GameSpot Screenshots:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/forzamotorsport/screenindex.html

It looks so real OMFG, alot better than GT4 will be, look at the TVR and the shadows on the car, the background even, the car looks just fantastic.

IGN.com Screenshots:
http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/682/682857/imgs_1.html[/img]

http://dreamstation.phpwebhosting.com/news/images/120x90_001/xbox_live_001.jpg its xbox live!

Ian_yamaue
08-12-2004, 11:58 AM
Holly shit!! I need it. :shock:

gis
08-12-2004, 12:04 PM
this is gonna be awesome game i think.just hope afetr all this hype of it it isnt a let down

tigerx
08-12-2004, 12:05 PM
where's the driver??? they need to have a driver like in PGR2.

mindgam3
08-12-2004, 01:07 PM
jesus christ that looks good! is it gonna be released on the ps2 or just the x box?

tigerx
08-12-2004, 01:12 PM
lol being made by microsoft i don't think releasing it on a PS2 will be a good marketing move ;). i read the full info post a bout this game, and i don't like the trading feature, i don't have and probably will never have Xbox live and all my friend have PS2, so i basically got screw out of having tons of parts.

RC45
08-12-2004, 01:17 PM
I think it is a big white elephant.

Should appeal to the NFSUG crew though.. :P

gis
08-12-2004, 02:32 PM
^^^ well hopefully this game u wont have to put more stickers on to get further in the game :wink: :lol:

FordGTGuy
08-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Well now in Xbox's life its mostly set its eyes on Xbox Live since most Xbox Users have Xbox Live. over 600,000+. Plus you don't need Xbox Live you can use Memory Cards. Essentially you have USA region and you have another account that has Europe on it you put it on a Memory Card and reload the game and essentail you can trade cars and paintjobs money whatever though the one on the memory card and the one on the Xbox so theirs is a way to get every car in the game w/o xbox live.

What do you mean by a Big White Elephant?

mindgam3
08-12-2004, 03:08 PM
lol being made by microsoft i don't think releasing it on a PS2 will be a good marketing move ;). i read the full info post a bout this game, and i don't like the trading feature, i don't have and probably will never have Xbox live and all my friend have PS2, so i basically got screw out of having tons of parts.

lol, oops didnt read who it was made by. Shame though im not gonna go out n by an x box for this, although it is very tempting ;)

FordGTGuy
08-12-2004, 03:37 PM
PS2 doesn't have enough power for a game like this.

Daggernite
08-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Yeah this game looks brill! I have had my eye on it since E3 show but it should have wheel. When its out I'll show you all how its done on xbox live :wink:

mindgam3
08-12-2004, 03:54 PM

GT4 looks similar graphics wise, i'm sure it would be able to cope....

Daggernite
08-12-2004, 04:02 PM

Well maybe Fortza would'nt run on a ps2 without some cut back on polygons or lighting or whatever els, but i think its no longer about what each system can do, I think its more about how well the developers utilize the systems to there protentail and capacity. Thats the only reason I think GT4 will come through, there so good at making games and using the hardware, plus there passion about cars at polyphony so they know what there doing. Im still alil curious about fortza, but will definatly give it ago :D

mindgam3
08-12-2004, 04:06 PM

Well maybe Fortza would'nt run on a ps2 without some cut back on polygons or lighting or whatever els, but i think its no longer about what each system can do, I think its more about how well the developers utilize the systems to there protentail and capacity. Thats the only reason I think GT4 will come through, there so good at making games and using the hardware, plus there passion about cars at polyphony so they know what there doing. Im still alil curious about fortza, but will definatly give it ago :D

yeah agreed, polyphony have got the "heritage" of all their other GT titles, all of which were ground breaking. This has not much substance, but we shall soon see which comes out on top ;)

FordGTGuy
08-12-2004, 04:28 PM
I'm not just talking about graphics Ps2 cannot handle the AI or the amount of variables needed to be calculated in every race or even the amount of ways the AI can learn and take turns and learn from your every turn on every specific lap on every specific track.

Daggernite
08-12-2004, 04:49 PM
Yeah the extra processing power would be great for the AI. But still Polyphony have had years exspreience make racing games, and I bet the games engine running GT4 will still equal what Fortza have got even with less processing power than the xbox.
Unless microsoft hit the nail on the head the first time round, and make the perfect racing sim. Because it will have to be perfect to beat GT4, but as for AI Fortza might have it, but I bet it wont be as accurate as GT4 regarding handling of the car, sounds the car makes. Because the Physics engine design for the cars has been in the works for so long, and polyphony test drive ever car they put in the game.

Oh fine I admit I'm a GTlover, but that aside I dont think forta will be better :mrgreen:

FordGTGuy
08-12-2004, 04:57 PM
Believe with all the money Bill Gates spent its gonna be accurate or else. GT should wait for Ps3.

Daggernite
08-12-2004, 05:42 PM
May the best game win...
and I dont think i could wait that long for it to come out on the PS3.

mindgam3
08-12-2004, 05:45 PM
Believe with all the money Bill Gates spent its gonna be accurate or else. GT should wait for Ps3.

lol, you would think that wouldnt you, but he hasn't yet to make an stable operating system ;)

FordGTGuy
08-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Give the guy a break its hard to make a Stable Windows operating system its not as easy as a Linex or MAC. But this is Xbox not Windows.

tigerx
08-12-2004, 06:14 PM
lol i don't fuking care i have both system so i'm buying both game SUCKA!!!! :P :P

mindgam3
08-12-2004, 06:17 PM
lol i don't fuking care i have both system so i'm buying both game SUCKA!!!! :P :P

Bastad :P

I was only joking fordgtguy but you were saying with all his billions its gotta be good, but linux have got a much more stable OS yet they aren't half the company microsoft is....

Either way lets forget about that side before this turn into a linux vs windows brawl ;)

FordGTGuy
08-12-2004, 06:17 PM
^screw you man^ :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

tigerx
08-12-2004, 06:20 PM
lol don't take it so hard. oh and if it make you feel anybetter, GTR is only for Xbox and PC :D and it's coming to US and Canada :D

FordGTGuy
08-12-2004, 06:23 PM
yeah I can have a GTR bitch now yay!

FordGTGuy
08-26-2004, 10:18 PM
July 22, 2004 - Although it's genuinely clear that Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo series changed the landscape of racing games forever, enough time has passed by now for new racing experiences to infiltrate the games culture. For instance, right now, it seems like at least five publishers are fully intent on delivering what each one considers the "ultimate" import tuning car experience.

Right now the tuner thing is ridiculously hot, but by no means will it replace what millions of gamers around the world want. What do they want? Among other things, gamers want an authentic simulator, a racing game that's like GT, that might even be GT, or that attempt to gleans all that's best in the Gran Turismo series and makes it better. In other words, a game with licensed car deformation and actual people driving. Just kidding…sorta.

What's become dead clear to us is that Xbox owners are 100% ready for such an experience. The introduction of Forza Motorsport at E3 this May brought hundreds of letters rolling into our office with inquiries about every aspect of the game. With our readers in mind we've created this feature, which identifies the cars in their proper classes, and reveals a wealth of information on each classification. We unveil 50 new cars, dozens of screenshots of several of them, and all sorts of new details. This is not a list we hoping will soon come to pass, it's official, straight from Microsoft itself. We were also informed that this list of cars right here is subject to change, as new cars will replace others that drop out.

As it stands now, Forza Motorsport is in development with Microsoft Games Studios and is slated for a fall release (hopefully November 16, 2004). Players have the chance to strap into more than 150 cars (Microsoft continues to change the actual number to this date) from 60 of the top manufacturers in the world. Gamers can customize their car from the spoilers, hoods, and fenders, to the engine, suspension, brakes and the engine itself. And happily, you'll be able to crash and damage these cars, each with drivers in them, and take them onto Xbox Live to vie against seven other players (eight altogether).

Thanks to Dan Greenawalt, the lead designer of Forza Motorsport, we were able to ascertain this information on the first three kinds of cars -- Ultimate Hot Hatches, Autocrossers, and Street Racers.

Ultimate Hot Hatches
Hot hatches are the highest performance versions of a manufacturer's entry level sub-compact hatchback. These entry level cars can be tuned with performance parts to improve not only the car's handling, stopping and power, but also its aesthetic appearance. These cars are usually aimed at the entry level enthusiast looking to get a quick nimble car that is reliable, fuel efficient and cheap to modify further. These cars can also be tossed about on the local tracks or autocross courses, and peel rubber at the drag strip.

1992 - Fiat Lancia Delta Integrale EVO

Fiat Lancia Delta Integrale EVO

The Delta was produced from 1979-1994, but it wasn't until it had a successful race career that it become a well known car. The Delta was made famous on the dirt roads of off-road rally driving, winning a manufacturer's title in 1987. The valuable technology learned off-road was also used in the road going version. With 4-wheel drive and a 16v 210hp motor, the Lancia Delta Integrale EVO was a marvel of automotive wizardry. The large fender flares and revised suspension with large diameter disc brakes and 6-channel ABS helped the Delta Integrale EVO become a true hot hatch that can still hold its own with today's more modern machinery.

1985 AE86 Sprinter Trueno GT Apex (Corolla GT-S)

AE86 Sprinter Trueno GT Apex

The AE86 Trueno might be one of the most widely used hot hatches used in motorsports today. Known as the Corolla GTS here in the United States, it came with a modest but potent 1.5-liter 130hp L4 with a 5-speed transmission and disc brakes at all four corners. Because of its front engine rear wheel drive layout, it has proven popular with enthusiasts around the world. The AE86 Trueno/Corolla GTS can be found in drifting competitions, auto-x, rally racing and in heated head-to-head track battles. Still in demand for its bulletproof reliability and rock solid platform, the Trueno/Corolla GTS is a true hot hatch.

Although it's genuinely clear that Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo series changed the landscape of racing games forever, enough time has passed by now for new racing experiences to infiltrate the games culture. For instance, right now, it seems like at least five publishers are fully intent on delivering what each one considers the "ultimate" import tuning car experience.

Right now the tuner thing is ridiculously hot, but is by no means will it replace what millions of gamers around the world want. What do they want? Among other things, gamers want an authentic simulator, a racing game that's like GT, that might even be GT, or that attempt to glean all that's best in the Gran Turismo series and make it better. In other words, a game with licensed car deformation and actual people driving. Just kidding…sorta.

What's become dead clear to us is that Xbox owners are 100% ready for such an experience. The introduction of Forza Motorsport at E3 this May brought hundreds of letters rolling into our office with inquiries about every aspect of the game. With our readers in mind we've created this feature, which identifies the cars in their proper classes, and reveals a wealth of information on each classification. We unveil 50 new cars, dozens of screenshots of several of them, and all sorts of new details. We were also informed that this list of cars right here is subject to change, as new cars will replace others that drop out.

As it stands now, Forza Motorsport is in development with Microsoft Games Studios and is slated for a fall release (hopefully November 16, 2004). Players have the chance to strap into more than 150 cars (Microsoft continues to change the actual number to this date) from 60 of the top manufacturers in the world. Gamers can customize their car from the spoilers, hoods, and fenders, to the engine, suspension, brakes and into the engine itself. And happily, you'll be able to crash and damage these cars, each with drivers in them, and take them onto Xbox Live to vie against seven other players (eight altogether).

Thanks to Dan Greenawalt, the lead designer of Forza Motorsport, we were able to ascertain this information on the first three kinds of cars -- Ultimate Hot Hatches, Autocrossers, and Street Racers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Autocrossers
The premise of these cars is FUN. These are a mix of great handling purist track cars and beautifully appointed luxury tourers. They all handle great and have good power, whether you are powering out of a turn or cruising from stop light to stop light.

2004 Audi TT3.2

2004 Audi TT3.2

The Audi TT 3.2 with a 250hp 3.2 liter normally aspirated V6 and a 6-speed Direct Shift gear box for finger tip gear selection making the Audi TT 3.2 a wonderful sports car. It feels at home carving up winding roads as well as powering through tight turns on the track with the help of its Quattro all-wheel drive. The brakes are up for the job with hug rotors lightweight floating rotors front and back borrowed from the Europe-only Audi RS4. Street racers beware -- this TT3.2 with its Direct Shift gear box has a F1-Start mode allowing for blazingly fast launches. The new for 2004 Audi TT 3.2 is a welcome addition to the sports car world.

2004 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo

Vauxhall VX220 Turbo

Built in Great Britain, this car demonstrates British style and class with the traditional British marks of a lightweight, great handling, rear wheel drive sports coupe. At 2,200 lbs and 200hp, the VX220 can rocket form 0-60 in 4.9 seconds. It is a true enthusiast's performance car that follows the traditional British minimalist approach. You won't see heated seats or head light washers in this two-passenger removable roof car. It was designed to be a competent track car and the ultimate street car and it looks like it has accomplished both.

Although it's genuinely clear that Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo series changed the landscape of racing games forever, enough time has passed by now for new racing experiences to infiltrate the games culture. For instance, right now, it seems like at least five publishers are fully intent on delivering what each one considers the "ultimate" import tuning car experience.

Right now the tuner thing is ridiculously hot, but is by no means will it replace what millions of gamers around the world want. What do they want? Among other things, gamers want an authentic simulator, a racing game that's like GT, that might even be GT, or that attempt to glean all that's best in the Gran Turismo series and make it better. In other words, a game with licensed car deformation and actual people driving. Just kidding…sorta.

What's become dead clear to us is that Xbox owners are 100% ready for such an experience. The introduction of Forza Motorsport at E3 this May brought hundreds of letters rolling into our office with inquiries about every aspect of the game. With our readers in mind we've created this feature, which identifies the cars in their proper classes, and reveals a wealth of information on each classification. We unveil 50 new cars, dozens of screenshots of several of them, and all sorts of new details. We were also informed that this list of cars right here is subject to change, as new cars will replace others that drop out.

As it stands now, Forza Motorsport is in development with Microsoft Games Studios and is slated for a fall release (hopefully November 16, 2004). Players have the chance to strap into more than 150 cars (Microsoft continues to change the actual number to this date) from 60 of the top manufacturers in the world. Gamers can customize their car from the spoilers, hoods, and fenders, to the engine, suspension, brakes and into the engine itself. And happily, you'll be able to crash and damage these cars, each with drivers in them, and take them onto Xbox Live to vie against seven other players (eight altogether).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Street Racers
You've seen these cars blowing by other cars at traffic lights, on freeways and just about everywhere. Around the world they are respected for their engineered speed and durability. They are easily personalized with body modifications, and they take well to power adders. There isn't much these tiny powerhouse cars can't do for their reasonable price tags.

1995 Mazda RX-7

Mazda RX-7

The Mazda RX-7 put the Zoom Zoom® in Mazda. The concept was a lightweight, good handling; high power to weight ratio car, the 1995 RX-7 hit its mark. With a 1.3 liter twin turbo Rotary motor turning out 255hp and the car weighing only 2800lbs this was a 5.1-5.3sec 0-60 car. It wasn't an all straight line performance car either, the RX-7 liked the curves and has the braking power to take the car in deep with the power to get it out quick. One of the top 10 highest modified cars, it is on every enthusiast wish list of cars to own.

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

A widely used and modified street tuner car, the 1995 Eclipse GSX has the underpinnings to make it the ultimate "Street Racer." Its 210hp turbocharged L4, 5-speed transmission, AWD (all-wheel-drive) and 3100 make it a beast on launch. There are many GSX cars running upwards of 350-450hp on stock internals. By simply dropping $3,000-$5,000 into it, you can upgrade the turbo, intercooler, turbo back exhaust, and be well over 350hp. The Eclipse GSX are cars not to be messed with in the street racing scene.

The Big Car List
Microsoft originally told us that there will be more than 150 cars in the game. The second time we spoke with them, the number changed to more than 200. Now Microsoft has told us that there will be a lot of vehicles in Forza Motorsport. What does that mean? With so many vehicle licenses, the company is experiencing a multitude of changes, with some cars dropping out and other cars replacing them. I suspect they'll want to have at least 150 cars in the game, which is way more than enough. But until they finalize the code, the amount of vehicles will differ, so they're right now avoiding an exact number.

Hatches and Compacts - "Ultimate Hot Hatches"

BMW 2003 MINI Cooper-S Germany, Europe
Chrysler 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT (Turbo) USA, North America
Ford 2003 Ford Focus SVT 3-door United States, North America
GM 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen 3-door Sweden, Europe
Fiat 1992 Lancia Delta Integrale Evo Italy, Europe
Volkswagen 1995 Volkswagen Corrado SLC Germany, Europe
Honda 1991Honda CRX Si-R Japan, Asia
Honda 2004, Honda Civic Type R Hatch Japan, Asia
Honda 1994 Honda Civic Si Hatch, Japan, Asia
Mazda 2003 Mazda Protégé MAZDASPEED Japan, Asia
Mazda 2004 Mazda 3 (2.3 Sport 5-door) hatch Japan, Asia
Dodge 2003 Dodge SRT4 United States, North America
Peugeot 2004 Peugeot 206 Gti 180France, Europe
Renault 2003 Renault Sport Clio V6 RS (Renaultsport) France, Europe
Toyota 1985 Toyota AE86 Sprinter Trueno GT Apex (Corolla GT-S) Japan, Asia
Volkswagen 2002 Volkswagen Golf R32 Germany, Europe
Volkswagen 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T Turbo S Germany, Europe

Coupes/Roadsters "Autocrossers"

Audi 2004 Audi TT 3.2 Coupe Germany, Europe
BMW 2004 BMW Z4 3.0i Germany, Europe
GM 2004 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo United Kingdom, Europe
GM 2004 Opel Speedster Turbo United Kingdom Europe
Honda 1999 Honda Civic Si Coupe Japan, Asia
Honda 2003 Honda S2000 (hardtop) Japan, Asia
Honda 1995 Honda Civic Del Sol VTEC Japan, Asia
Lotus 2004 Lotus Elise 111S United Kingdom, Europe
Toyota 2002 Lexus SC430 Japan, Asia
Mercedes 2003 Mercedes CLK55 AMG Coupe Germany Europe
Toyota 2002 Toyota Soarer 430SCV Japan, Asia
Lotus 2005 Lotus Federal Elise (135R) United Kingdom Europe
Lotus 2005 Lotus Exige United Kingdom, Europe
Mazda 2000 Mazda Miata MX-5 1.8i Sport Japan, Asia
Panoz 2001 Panoz Esperante GTL (Coupe - hardtop) United States, North America
Porsche 2003 Porsche Boxster S (hardtop) Germany, Europe
Toyota 1995 Toyota MR2 Turbo T-Bar Japan, Asia
Toyota 2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder Japan, Asia
Toyota 2002 Toyota MR-S Japan, Asia

Entry Level Sports Cars - "Street Racers"

Honda 2000 Acura Integra Type R (US Spec) Japan, Asia
Honda 2000 Honda Integra Type R (Japan Spec) Japan, Asia
Honda 2002 Acura RSX Type S Japan, Asia
Honda 2002 Honda Integra Type R (Japan) Japan, Asia
Honda 2003 Acura 3.2 CL Type S (6 speed) Japan, Asia
Hyundai 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT Korea, Asia
Mazda 1995 Mazda RX-7 (US Spec) Japan, Asia
Mitsubishi 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Japan, Asia
Mitsubishi 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS Japan, Asia
Mazda 2004 Mazda MX-5 Mazdaspeed Japan, Asia
Chrysler 1998 Eagle Talon Tsi Turbo (AWD) United States, North America
Toyota 2004 Toyota Camry Solara Sport Japan, Asia
Mazda 1990 Mazda RX-7 Turbo Japan, Asia
Mitsubishi 1998Mitsubishi FTO GP Version R Japan, Asia
Nissan 1998 Nissan 240SX SE Japan, Asia
Toyota 2003 Toyota Celica GT-S Japan, Asia
Toyota 2003 Toyota Celica 1.8 WT-I T Sport Japan, Asia

That's it for now. We'll have more in about two weeks.
-- Douglass C. Perry

August 04, 2004 - Although it's genuinely clear that Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo series changed the landscape of racing games forever, enough time has passed by now for new racing experiences to infiltrate the game culture. For instance, right now, it seems like at least five publishers are fully intent on delivering what each one considers the "ultimate" import tuning car experience.

Right now the tuner thing is ridiculously hot, but by no means will it replace what millions of gamers around the world want. What do they want? Among other things, gamers want an authentic simulator, a racing game that's like GT, that might even be GT, or that attempt to gleans all that's best in the Gran Turismo series and makes it better. In other words, a game with licensed car deformation and actual people driving. Just kidding…sorta.

What's become dead clear to us is that Xbox owners are 100% ready for such an experience. The introduction of Forza Motorsport at E3 this May brought hundreds of letters rolling into our office with inquiries about every aspect of the game. With our readers in mind we've created this feature, which identifies the cars in their proper classes, and reveals a wealth of information on each classification. We unveil 18 new cars, dozens of screenshots, and all sorts of new details. This is not a list we hoping will soon come to pass, it's official, straight from Microsoft itself. We were also informed that this list of cars right here is subject to change, as new cars will replace others that drop out.

As it stands now, Forza Motorsport is in development with Microsoft Games Studios and is slated for a fall release (hopefully November 16, 2004). Players have the chance to strap into more than 150 cars (Microsoft continues to change the actual number to this date) from 60 of the top manufacturers in the world. Gamers can customize their car from the spoilers, hoods, and fenders, to the engine, suspension, brakes and the engine itself. And happily, you'll be able to crash and damage these cars, each with drivers in them, and take them onto Xbox Live to vie against seven other players (eight altogether).

As a special bonus, we've added officially recorded sounds from the cars themselves. Check the media section to hear them.

The Sounds of a TVR_TuscanR

The Sounds of an Acura_NSX

The Sounds of a Mazda_RX8
Thanks to Dan Greenawalt, the lead designer of Forza Motorsport, we were able to ascertain this information on the second set of car classes: Mid-Level Sports Cars and High-End Sports Cars.

The Big Car List, Pt. II
Microsoft originally told us that there will be more than 150 cars in the game. The second time we spoke with them, the number changed to more than 200. Now Microsoft has told us that there will be a lot of vehicles in Forza Motorsport. What does that mean? With so many vehicle licenses, the company is experiencing a multitude of changes, with some cars dropping out and other cars replacing them. I suspect they'll want to have at least 150 cars in the game, which is way more than enough. But until they finalize the code, the amount of vehicles will differ, so they're right now avoiding an exact number. Check The Cars of Forza, Part I for, duh, the first huge section of cars. Here are more vehicles for your car-loving fetish.

Mid and High Level Sports Cars
1984 Ferrari 288GTO
1997 Honda NSX-R
2004 Honda NSX-R
2002 Lotus Esprit V8
2000 Ford Mustang Cobra R
2003 Dodge Viper SRT10 (top up)
1993 Ferrari 512TR
2004 Ferrari 360 Modena F1
1998 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta F1 hardtop
1998 Ferrari F355 Challenge
2004 Ferrari 360 CS (Challenge Stradale)
2005 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti
2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Coupe
2003 Porsche 911 (996) GT3
1995 Porsche 911 (993) GT2
1999 Shelby Series 1
2001 TVR Tuscan R

Although it's genuinely clear that Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo series changed the landscape of racing games forever, enough time has passed by now for new racing experiences to infiltrate the game culture. For instance, right now, it seems like at least five publishers are fully intent on delivering what each one considers the "ultimate" import tuning car experience.

What's become dead clear to us is that Xbox owners are 100% ready for such an experience. The introduction of Forza Motorsport at E3 this May brought hundreds of letters rolling into our office with inquiries about every aspect of the game. With our readers in mind we've created this feature, which identifies the cars in their proper classes, and reveals a wealth of information on each classification. We unveil 18 new cars, dozens of screenshots, and all sorts of new details. This is not a list we hoping will soon come to pass, it's official, straight from Microsoft itself. We were also informed that this list of cars right here is subject to change, as new cars will replace others that drop out.

Thanks to Dan Greenawalt, the lead designer of Forza Motorsport, we were able to ascertain this information on the second set of car classes: Mid-Level Sports Cars and High-End Sports Cars.

Mid Level Sports Cars
Mid-level sports cars are the bread and butter of the sports car world. Most commonly seen and noticeably more involved in all aspects of racing events, these vehicles are the definitive sports cars for the average working stiff. As daily drivers, these vehicles perform well, but throw a set of sticky DOT-R tires on them, and they will slice through the corners or blast down the straights with the best of them. They are all modification friendly and, for some, investing a few thousand dollars will completely transform them into a custom race car.

2003 Infiniti G35

The 2003 InfinitiG35.

New for 2003 is the Infiniti G35 Coupe. Called the Skyline in Japan, this luxury touring car is powered by a 3.5liter V6 that occupies the already well know Nissan 350Z. Although slightly detuned, the G35 offers 280hp and 270ftlbs torque. Using what Nissan/Infiniti call their FM platform, they are able to place the motor behind the front axle, allowing the coupe a 52 percent/48 percent front-to-rear weight ratio, making it an extremely well balanced car. The G35 has a standard 6-speed transmission and VDC, Infiniti's version of traction and anti-skid control, and a limited slip differential. Brembo brakes are also available. One feature making this vehicle even more marketable: 2 extra seats making it a 2+2 coupe. The price is right also. Against its competitors, the G35 coupe beats them hands down in performance, amenities and dependability. Not only will you look good driving down the road, but, with it's added safety and practicality, you can feel confident taking three friends along for the ride.

2004 Mazda RX8 Mazdaspeed

The 2004 Mazda RX8 Mazdaspeed.

Mazda has introduced the new rotary powered RX8 in hopes to fill the large shoes left by the previous RX7. The RX8, with a new 1.3 Renesis rotary motor, turns out 238hp at an atmospheric 8500rpm and is able to rocket the lightweight 3000lb car to 60mph in 6 seconds. Where the RX8 really shines is in its handling and versatility department. This Mazda sports car does what most other cars in this class can't: it offers four doors and room for four adults. The 2004 RX8 may not offer the twin turbocharged performance and ease of modability its 1995 counterpart did, but it does offer the weekend track and auto-x warrior the civility and everyday practicality of a small sporty sedan. The Mazdaspeed version ups the ante even further by increasing engine performance, stiffer suspension, and improved aerodynamics with a more aggressive body-kit. The Mazdaspeed does exactly what the name interjects -- it adds even more sport to the already sporty RX8 without compromising the versatility the standard RX8 already offers. With only 300 units being offered, these models won't be in showrooms for long.

Although it's genuinely clear that Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo series changed the landscape of racing games forever, enough time has passed by now for new racing experiences to infiltrate the game culture. For instance, right now, it seems like at least five publishers are fully intent on delivering what each one considers the "ultimate" import tuning car experience.

High End Sports Cars
These cars are what every car enthusiast dreams of owning. Names like Ferrari, Lotus, Porsche, TVR, and Shelby stir emotions in any true car fan's heart. These are the "Prom Queens" of the car world. These same cars aren't all show and no go, however, they are bred from successful racing histories and millions of dollars of research and development. Well deserved are the titles of High End Sports cars as they cost more that most people make in a year.

2004 Honda NSX-R

The HondaNSXR.

The 2004 Honda NSX-R ... what more could you ask for? Except, why isn't it available in the United States? With ultra exotic looks and legendary Honda reliability the NSX-R was designed to be the ultimate iteration of the famed NSX. The car was designed to be ultra lightweight. Things like power door locks, insulation and even the damper for the hydraulic clutch have been removed. Air-conditioning, non-powered mirrors, power windows and a stereo are all optional. Weight reduction didn't stop in the cabin though it is carried over into the exterior of the car with a carbon fiber rear wing and special light alloy BBS designed wheels. Add it all up and the NSX-R weighs in a full 172lb less then its non-R stable-mate. To make the NSX-R ultra stable at high speeds, the bottom of the car was made as flat and smooth as possible to eliminate drag and to improve down force. The hood was even designed to bring incoming air from underneath the car up through the hood past the radiator up and over the car. Crucial internal engine parts were lightened to help in engine response along with suspension pieces that were also lightened and stiffened to help in the responsiveness of the car. The car comes standard with Recaro bucket seats and a Momo steering wheel. These features combined further remind the lucky owner that he or she truly owns a rare exotic that has been designed to be the pinnacle of Honda engineering.

2001 TVR Tuscan R

The 2001 TVR Tuscan R.

The British are known for their high luxury, well manufactured and great handling cars. With the TVR Tuscan R, the Brits can now be known for their high horsepower-burning rubber exotics as well. The Tuscan R, with its high-profile looks and different body lines, definitely sets itself apart from the crowd that occupies this class. With an 8000rpm redline from its I-6 motor, churning out 450hp, it is not to be messed with. The TVR leaves the whole build process practically up to the prospective buyer, with unlimited customizable colors both in and out. The picky buyer will not be disappointed. Closely compared to the U.S. built Dodge Viper, the TVR Tuscan R may look different than the rest, but once your foot hits the pedal, your concerns will quickly be left behind.

That's it for now. (Check The Cars of Forza, Part I for part 1). And look forward to Part III in a few weeks.
-- Douglass C. Perry

August 18, 2004 - Finally, Microsoft is going hardcore simulation. Although it's genuinely clear that Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo series changed the landscape of racing games forever, enough time has passed by now for new racing experiences to infiltrate the game culture. For instance, right now, it seems like at least five publishers are fully intent on delivering what each one considers the "ultimate" import tuning car experience.

Right now the tuner thing is ridiculously hot, but by no means will it replace what millions of gamers around the world want. Among other things, gamers want an authentic simulator, a racing game that's like GT, that might even be GT, or that attempt to gleans all that's best in the Gran Turismo series and makes it better. In other words, a game with licensed car deformation and actual people driving. Just kidding...sorta.

What's become dead clear to gus is that Xbox owners are 100% ready for such an experience. The introduction of Forza Motorsport at E3 this May brought hundreds of letters rolling into our office with inquiries about every aspect of the game. With our readers in mind we've created this feature, which identifies the cars in their proper classes, and reveals a wealth of information on each classification. We unveil 28 new cars, dozens of screenshots, and all sorts of new details. This is not a list we hoping will soon come to pass, it's official, straight from Microsoft itself. We were also informed that this list of cars right here is subject to change, as new cars will replace others that drop out.

Thanks to Dan Greenawalt, the lead designer of Forza Motorsport, we were able to ascertain this information on the third set of car classes.

The Official Car List, Pt. III
Microsoft originally told us that there will be more than 150 cars in the game. The second time we spoke with them, the number changed to more than 200. Now Microsoft has told us that there will be a lot of vehicles in Forza Motorsport. What does that mean? With so many vehicle licenses, the company is experiencing a multitude of changes, with some cars dropping out and other cars replacing them. I suspect they'll want to have at least 150 cars in the game, which is way more than enough. But until they finalize the code, the amount of vehicles will differ, so they're right now avoiding an exact number. Check The Cars of Forza, Part I and The Cars of Forza, Part II for parts I and II, respectively. Here are more vehicles for your car-loving fetish.

Sport Sedans: "Euro Track Day"
2004 Audi S4 V8
2000 Audi S4
2004 Volvo S60 R
1987 Buick Regal GNX (Turbo)
2005 Pontiac GTO
2000 Honda Prelude Type SH
2004 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6
2004 Mercedes C32 AMG Sports Coupe
1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI GSR
2000 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII RS
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII FQ-330 (Lightweight Mitsubishi Racing)
2000 Nissan S15 Silvia Spec-R
2004 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE
1998 Nissan Silvia (S14)
1998 Subaru Impreza 22B STi
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi (US Spec)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Spec-C (Japan Spec)
2004 Lexus IS300
2004 Toyota Altezza RS200
2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6

Sport Sedans: "Euro Track Day"
2003 Audi RS6 Sedan
2004 Bentley Continental GT Coupe
2001 Aston Martin Vanquish
2005 Aston Martin DB9 Coupe
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
2005 Mercedes CL65 AMG

Finally, Microsoft is going hardcore simulation. Although it's genuinely clear that Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo series changed the landscape of racing games forever, enough time has passed by now for new racing experiences to infiltrate the game culture. For instance, right now, it seems like at least five publishers are fully intent on delivering what each one considers the "ultimate" import tuning car experience.

Right now the tuner thing is ridiculously hot, but by no means will it replace what millions of gamers around the world want. Among other things, gamers want an authentic simulator, a racing game that's like GT, that might even be GT, or that attempt to gleans all that's best in the Gran Turismo series and makes it better. In other words, a game with licensed car deformation and actual people driving. Just kidding...sorta.

What's become dead clear to us is that Xbox owners are 100% ready for such an experience. The introduction of Forza Motorsport at E3 this May brought hundreds of letters rolling into our office with inquiries about every aspect of the game. With our readers in mind we've created this feature, which identifies the cars in their proper classes, and reveals a wealth of information on each classification. We unveil 28 new cars, dozens of screenshots, and all sorts of new details. This is not a list we hoping will soon come to pass, it's official, straight from Microsoft itself. We were also informed that this list of cars right here is subject to change, as new cars will replace others that drop out.

Thanks to Dan Greenawalt, the lead designer of Forza Motorsport, we were able to ascertain this information on the third set of car classes.

Sports Sedans
These sports sedans are the ultimate daily drivers. You can take four people in relative comfort, pick up the groceries and run the car around the track all in the same day. Most of these cars you probably see everyday and never realized the performance potential that lies beneath their hoods. These are the ultimate family sports cars.

2004 Audi S4

The Audi S4.

All new for 2004 is the Audi S4. With its normally aspirated V8, the Audi S4 has jumped into the rivalry with BMW's E46M3 feet first. The V8 S4 should be a confident challenger with its Quattro all wheel drive, slick shifting 6-speed transmission or available 6-speed Tiptronic. The S4's huge 4-wheel ventilated disc brakes lie inside the 18-inch Avus wheels. With its 4.2litre 340hpV8and 302ftlb of torque available at just 3500rpm this S4 has the exhaust note to go with that V8. Equally at home on the track and in rush-hour traffic this S4 truly is a sports sedan for the responsible enthusiast.

2004 Mercedes AMG C32

The Mercedes C32 AMG

When you think of AMG, one thing should come to mind...horsepower and luxury. The C32 AMG from Mercedes doesn't disappoint. The entry-level AMG for Mercedes tuning group boasts a 3.2litre supercharged V6 that puts out 349hp and 332ftlbs of torque through a 5-speed automatic. The AMG package also consists of revised suspension tuning with lowered ride height, 17-inch AMG exclusive wheels, more powerful brakes, a more aggressive body kit and sporty interior pieces. The everyday practicality of a luxury 4-door sedan plus Corvette performance equals one sweet ride.

Finally, Microsoft is going hardcore simulation. Although it's genuinely clear that Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo series changed the landscape of racing games forever, enough time has passed by now for new racing experiences to infiltrate the game culture. For instance, right now, it seems like at least five publishers are fully intent on delivering what each one considers the "ultimate" import tuning car experience.

What's become dead clear to us is that Xbox owners are 100% ready for such an experience. The introduction of Forza Motorsport at E3 this May brought hundreds of letters rolling into our office with inquiries about every aspect of the game. With our readers in mind we've created this feature, which identifies the cars in their proper classes, and reveals a wealth of information on each classification. We unveil 28 new cars, dozens of screenshots, and all sorts of new details. This is not a list we hoping will soon come to pass, it's official, straight from Microsoft itself. We were also informed that this list of cars right here is subject to change, as new cars will replace others that drop out.

Grand Touring Class
Grand touring class vehicles are the ultimate in touring cars with big horsepower, nice ride, big luxurious interiors, and with names like Cadillac, Bentley, Mercedes, Aston Martin, and Audi, none of these amenities come cheap. Some of these cars are factory tuned version of lesser models designed to appeal to a bigger wallets and more horsepower for a bigger crowd. The grand touring class vehicles put the bling in "bling bling" and often showcase the highest technology and future standards these companies are developing.

2004 Cadillac CTS-V

The Cadillac CTS.

The Cadillac CTS is hard to miss with its "stealth"-like angular lines and in-your- face appearance. Tested and designed in Germany on the famed Nurburgring, the CTS has it all. Now add in the 5.7litre V8 from the already well established Corvette Z06. And don't forget its awesome 6-speed transmission and drivetrain. This package is not a dream, it's the 2004 Cadillac CTS-V. The CTS-V's all aluminum motor puts out a steady 400hp and 390ftlbs of torque. The CTSV isn't all motor though: 4-wheel disc brakes, larger sway bars front and rear and springs are 27 percent stiffer. To set itself apart from the run-of-the-mill Cadillac CTS, the CTS-V has a more aggressive front bumper and 18-inch wheels along a dual exhaust out back to let those not knowing they just got passed by something powerful. Designed to take on the likes of the E55 AMG Mercedes, BMW M5, and Audi's own RS6, the CTS-V has them all beat. It's priced some $20,000 cheaper. For the sales tag, it's hard to beat Cadillac luxury and Corvette Z06 performance.

2005 Mercedes CL65 AMG

The 2005 Mercedes CL65 AMG.

If you are looking for one of the most powerful new production cars on the road today, look no further. The CL65 AMG is it. Can you say 6.0litre V12 SOHC 36 valve Twin Turbocharged hand built motor? This masterpiece of a motor puts out over 604hp and a massive 738ftlbs of torque. That is more torque than a Dodge Cummins Turbo diesel puts out (555ftlbs). The AMG CL65 is not made to haul horses or travel trailers. It's made to haul some serious butt. All of this power travels through a wisely reinforced 5-speed automatic transmission using AMG SpeedShift® programming. To bring all that speed down to civilized levels, the car ports 8 piston compound brakes underneath 19-inch AMG excusive wheels. All of this performance doesn't come with a sacrifice to luxury. The Mercedes AMG CL65 has everything you would expect from a $178,000 luxury car on steroids and all the safety enhancements to protect you if something unforeseen were to happen. Touted as the most powerful 4-seater in the world, I don't think many would argue.

That's it for now. Check The Cars of Forza, Part I and The Cars of Forza, Part II for parts I and II, respectively, of the ongoing series. And look forward to Part III in a few weeks.
-- Douglass C. Perry

August 09, 2004 - When Microsoft first unveiled Forza Motorsport at its E3 Press Conference in May, the racing sim was immediately seen as a direct competitor to Sony's Gran Turismo 4. While on the surface the two may appear as equal sides of the same coin, spending some extra time with Forza shows that comparing it strictly to GT 4 leaves out a good portion of what makes Forza Motorsports special. Don't think of Forza as GT for the Xbox. Instead, think of it as GT meets Need for Speed Underground with a dash of Pokemon thrown in for good measure.

Consider this: There are one million Xbox Live gamers. With the customization options offered in Forza, every single one of them can have a unique vehicle racing on Xbox Live. And more importantly, if you want to unlock everything Forza has to offer, you're gonna need to do some trading, because no one gamer profile can collect 'em all. That's where the whole Pokemon comparison comes in. Don't worry, you'll understand how all of this works by the time you finish this mondo article.
The MS internal development team behind Forza has been working on the racer for over two years and they have always had a unique vision for what type of game they wanted from the very beginning. From the get-go, the team wanted to achieve three things: Realistic graphics, sim-quality physics, and car collection/ownership.

Visual Medium
The graphical quality can be seen in every screenshot and translates well into action on the screen, with real-time shadows and reflections making the car as much a part of the track as the rubber lining separating asphalt from grass. Day, dusk, and night time all find representation in 17 different track environments taking gamers around the world to real locations such as the ever-popular Laguna Seca.

Running at a crisp 60 frames per second, the tracks and cars both earn degradation throughout a race. Oil and tire marks mar the roadway and if you scrape a concrete wall you'll leave some paint as a memento that remains throughout the race. Every licensed car -- more than 200 total -- features full damage modeling. But this isn't just about crumpling bumpers and popping taillights. Bash into another car or slam into a retaining wall and your paint will chip. By the end of a race, should you be as skilled as I am (and that's not very skilled at all), your car will look like it's run through the thickets, with scraps and paint chips heaviest on the front bumper and fenders. Minor abrasions and more massive damage factor in throughout the race -- it's not just the big crunches that earn a visual reward.

Get Physical
Microsoft has taken great pains in providing the most realistic physics to ever grace a racing sim. Every possible car-performance factor has been realized. Some of it you'll have trouble seeing, such as the fully working suspension systems, which can be modified to create greater stabilization. It's just not possible to see an eight-arm suspension at work, since it all happens underneath the car, but you'll definitely feel it.

Tires received some of the heaviest attention, as they affect performance much more than the casual racing fan may realize. Pressure, temperature, and wear aren't just long-term issues. Tires heat up as you race and will heat different depending on how you drive, where you drive, and what you drive. All of this affects friction -- which means traction (or lack thereof). Tires do not follow the Newtonian laws of physics. The more load on a tire, the less efficient it as at returning friction. The less friction you have, the less grip you've got on the track. Driving then, when mixed with smart and accurate physics, becomes more realistic as you are forced to think about how much speed you can put into a turn without spinning out. And trust me, with the assists off, if you try and drive like you're in Project Gotham Racing, your tail will be up a divider without a paddle.

Of course, the other standard physics considerations are all accounted for as well. There are hundreds of mathematics being calculated every second of a race for every car -- including AI drivers -- and your handling and modding make a huge difference. Not only will every car online look unique, because of the exhaustive modding options and the variation in handling by a million different drivers, every car will race differently online as well.

Smarter Intelligence
Realistic physics we've all seen before. But one area where racers -- particularly sim racers -- have always suffered is AI. A lot of this is because, in the past, the physics of AI cars have been different than those of a human-raced vehicle. Back in the earlier days of GT 1 and 2, cars were essentially running on one wheel in the cent of the chassis and then rocket-sledded around the track. As games progressed, things were moved up to four-tire rocket-sleds. Still, the physics were never real-world for AI cars. That's because it's not an easy thing to do. Imagine trying to process all of the physic calculations of 16 cars all at once. Yeah, it's a tough deal, but Forza is going to try and pull it off. From everything I've seen, they're gonna succeed.

Once the physics for all cars on the track are equal, everyone (real and computer-controlled) is racing under the same rules. Now comes time for true AI. To handle this, Microsoft brought in a robotics AI expert, someone who had never worked on a game before. This AI expert never had a hint as to the rocket-sled mentality of AI's past, so had no idea of what was the norm for a video game racer. Instead, he went about creating a learning AI which he named Drivatar.
This learning AI watches you race and learns from you and can mimic you. He can improve on you as well. You can use this technology to train your own racing team to race just like you, but the applications go much further than this. The Forza team sets up several Xboxes each night and lets them race. The Drivatar AI learns from them every time. It's not just learning the tendencies on a general level, but for every car and track and with every modification. How does this one drive in a Civic Type R with modifications X, Y, and Z handle this one specific turn in Laguna Seca on the third lap? Yes it's that exact. If you brake late and spin out, the AI learns from this and is smart enough to make adjustments based on your failure. Every night Drivatar is learning, becoming smarter and better with every car on every track in every condition so that it can make smart real-time "human" decisions in a race.

With AI difficulty settings, the team can then make this AI more or less confident on turns or adjust its ability to apply what it's learning so that anyone can have a shot at winning a race, but those who want a true challenge will constantly have to improve their game.

If you're not that great at racers, don't worry. Forza has five different assist settings that can be toggled on and off to help out the general consumer. While the assist will compensate for mistakes, it will also slow your progression through the single-player campaign. Every race in single-player has points (cash!) to be earned, but your AI and assist settings alter how much you earn. If you are great, you can turn off all the assists, kick up the AI, and earn points faster. If you suck, you can still get through Forza, it's just going to require a lot more races to do so. A fair system, if you ask me. And you did just ask me, didn't you?

Make it Your Own
What we've yet to truly touch on in our coverage of Forza is how customization and collection will play a vital role in Forza. The Forza team wanted gamers to feel a sense of pride and ownership in their cars, the same way people do in the real world. First up was creating the most robust customization features yet to be seen in a racer. That's not hyperbole, that's fact.

For every car you will have access to 6 masks, each with 100 layers for dropping in any variety of designs and logos. A layer is just like in Photoshop, one skin (out of a whopping 100) where you can choose from a large variety of patterns and logos. Switch up the layers easily, moving one shape to the foreground while dropping another to the backdrop of your vehicular mural. What you can do with all this is pretty amazing as you can easily manipulate and color patterns and insignias. Enlarge a racing stripe, paint it purple, move it to the top corner of the fender -- It's all a snap. If you can think it, you can probably design it.

Now, I said that there were six masks. A mask is basically one side of the car, so you have hood, rear, sides, roof, and bumper to alter to meet your visual desires. That's 6 masks, 100 layers each, making for 600 layers for design -- you've seen nothing like it, hell, not even in the real world. All the tools you could hope for are included. There's a stamp so you can easily recreate patterns and you can even clone your entire skin and swap with your buddies to create your own legion of pink poodle Porches. Imagine rollin' your pack of wild pink Porches down the wide roads of Xbox Live, striking terror into the hearts of weaker racers across the 'net. What sweet, sweet satisfaction.

But pimping a car with sick graphics is only half the battle. Modding your car won't just be about upgrading the engine, putting in new shocks, and figuring out which tires are best for a given track. With fully-licensed parts from the biggest manufacturers, you'll be able to tweak just about every car. However, real world sensibilities apply. There will be about 60 heavily-moddable cars, those that in the real world see a lot of modification. Of course you are gonna mod the hell out of your Civic, but the Ferrari 360 Moderna? Don't expect to have many mod options, because there's little you can (or would) do to actually make that car any better.
The development team is hoping to appeal to both the general and hardcore audience. So expect some basic text on the affects every part will have on your car, so that newbies can learn as they build their cars. For those who want more nitty-gritty, you'll have access to engine graphs and your own expert knowledge to make for informed decisions.

So, What About Pokemon?
Remember how I said this game had some Pokemon elements? I wasn't joking. When you first kick up Forza, you'll create a profile. Part of the process involves choosing a region -- USA, Europe, or Asia. You don't have to pick a region you're from, but you can only pick one and that's where you are from, for the rest of your use with that profile. This is a big, big deal in the world of Forza because your region dictates what parts and cars are readily available. Whaaaaa?!? Yeah, a Chevy is commonplace in the US, but good luck buying on in Asia.

Every car and part has a rarity rating based on your region. If something is rare, it's going to cost you more. It may not even be available to you at all. How do you fix this? By trading cars and parts with people who's profiles are from other regions where those things aren't rare. You can do this online or offline (with a memory card save). Think of it like Pokemon Blue and Red. Crazy, huh?

The purpose for this is to help create a massive virtual racing community. Not only will every gamer have a unique car, but they're gonna be swapping cars and parts like six-graders swap spit at summer camp.

The Xbox Live Mystery
One area Microsoft remains mum is the online arena. We really don't know much of anything and haven only played 6-player System Link races at E3. But Microsoft is definitely planning for big things with Xbox Live and Forza. Expect full Live 3.0 integration and more.

My guess (and hope) is that Microsoft will create an online showroom where gamers can upload their unique cars for everyone to look at and even test drive over Xbox Live. I mean, how else can you know if you wanna trade for someone's ride unless you can take it for a test run? Makes sense. Let's cross our fingers and hope.

Coming Soon...
Forza Motorsports is driving onto a retail shelf near you this winter. We'll have lots, lots, lots, lots, lots more on this promising racer in the coming months. Expect us to continue to reveal more cars off the car list and look for in-depth features on every aspect of Forza. Will it be better than GT 4? Who cares, GT 4 isn't on Xbox and can't be played on Xbox Live. 'Nuff said.

-- Hilary Goldstein

May 14, 2004 - How long has the Xbox been out? If you forgot, it'll be three years this fall. That's a long time and still no definitive racing game on the box. We might consider the Project Gotham Racing series the sort of flagship, well, kinda. But it's strictly an arcade experience and one that makes the racing genre a bit shallow for the racing purist looking for wheel-to-wheel with a bit of meat on its bones. The highly-technical Nurburgring track does add a bit of sim to Project Gotham Racing 2, but that's about all we see. And there are other third-party games like ToCA Race Driver 2, but as good as Codie's game is, a flagship it ain't. A good game, yes, flagship, no.

If you're just about ready to sell your Xbox and sport some PS2 action with GT4, you may want to wait. Microsoft has wisely decided to fill the simulation void with one Forza Motorsport. The team behind Forza hopes it will be to Xbox what Gran Turismo 4 is to the PlayStation 2. Those are some lofty goals, indeed, but competing with Polyphony's masterpiece is a good possibility.
Designed entirely in-house by Microsoft's Washington-based Microsoft Studios, Forza will, according to Scott Lee, "include all the necessary [components]," to give Xbox players just what they've been missing. Did we mention that the Forza team is composed of ex-members of Need for Speed, Project Gotham Racing and some of Microsoft's other racing game efforts? That's a damn good pedigree if you ask us. Stop and think for a second, what does a solid simulation racer need to compete against the undisputed king of racers? It needs real-world tracks, famous ones like we see in F1, Cart, Le Mans, WRC, and anything else that takes us on classic road courses. The team behind Forza agrees and will include licensed tracks like fan-favorite, Laguna Seca, among others. Among the landmark tracks we'll also get to test nearly every class of vehicle on fantasy courses designed by the team heavy with weekend track racers and autocrossers.

Like, PGR2, Forza won't use the "kitchen sink approach," said Lee. We smile in agreement--it's a direct jab at Polyphony's 500+ car mentality. In this case, we really do side with Microsoft. Who wants 500 cars when less than a fifth of them are actually fun to drive? And we speak from experience, log onto Xbox Live with PGR2 or ToCA--most players stick with the Ultimate class, consisting of cars like the Ferrari Enzo, Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR, Pagani Zonda and Porsche 911 GT1. Admittedly, it is fun to give everyday cars like the S2000, WRX and even Mini Cooper S a go or some track-built rides, but we want break-neck speed and performance, not a Model T or solid rear axles.

Scott did let us know that Forza will feature some classic rides like the Sting Ray and early 70s Porsche 911s, but we'll also get to test neo-sports cars like the Enzo, Koenigsegg and McLaren F1. The short pre-E3 demo we saw featured the Subaru WRX, Ferrari Enzo, '72 Porsche 911 and Chevy Corvette Sting Ray as playable vehicles on three courses, Laguna Seca and two fantasy tracks. Forza felt very forgiving with assists on. But turn those off and you will lock the brakes. Xbox Editor-in-Chief Doug Perry experienced this first hand when he cited, "This thing is too easy, arcadey." Lee turned off the assist, Perry quickly changed his mind. If you've read Perry's impressions, you'll note that he grew to like it even more with the assists off, as he experienced the expertly designed physics, shocks, and overall handling of Forza.

Like GT4, expect Forza to give us a nearly unrivaled amount of vehicle customization. Camber angle, toe, spring rate, damper, downforce, brake bias--everything we do in GT we'll, supposedly, be able to do in Forza. But Microsoft seems to be upping the ante a whole lot. We might forget what we've seen in GT--Forza not only lets us tweak and tune each vehicle to your liking, it also lets us modify the exterior and, get this, perform advanced engine swaps. So if you wanna drop that 'Stang engine into a Miata and make your very own Monster Miata, you can. We're not sure how far Microsoft will let us go as some powerplants are physically impossible to drop into a given chassis without serious work, but it's likely that we'll get some insane power from almost any vehicle in the game.

We're almost positive that this will be Billy's crown jewel racer on the Xbox. It might not oust GT4 from that coveted spot--not when Polyphony is already working on its seventh racer--but if all goes well this could become the Microsoft equivalent. Forza Motorsport is slated for a late fall, winter release, but definitely before Christmas. We're working hard to find out as much information as possible. Xbox and Xbox Live are going to be a whole lot more interesting come Forza. Microsoft's new set of screens reveal that the game also includes the Mitsubishi Evo VIII, Mitsubishi Eclipse, BMW prototype racecar and Dodge Neon SRT-4. We'll be back later in the week with a full hands-on write-up on Xbox's 800 lb racing gorilla.

-- Ty Rodriguez

May 12, 2004 - We sat down today and played Forza Motorsports for the second time, and MAN, is this game good. Being a Gran Turismo fan is a hard thing, believe it or not. Microsoft's internal development studio, which has been working on this racing game for more than two years, however, knows that there is nothing out there that rivals Polyphony Digital's masterpiece of sim racing, and it is trying, with all due respect to Polyphony, to improve upon the model.

Taking us out again to Laguna Seca, we took dozens of laps with the assists on and off in a Ferrari Moderna, and everything about the game felt and looked good. (There are many more tracks in the game, including Blue Mountains and Tokyo tracks, we just didn't get to them.) Seems to be a theme at Microsoft's booth this year, but it's absolutely true on this game. With basic controls in hands, right trigger to accelerate, left trigger to brake and reverse, players can get right into this speedy, 60 FPS racer. I did. I took baby steps at first, taking the turns slowly and just getting a feel for the road, but even after they took off all the assists, it felt so right. Actually, with the assists off, it felt better! I was able to power into the turns, using controlled drifts to squeeze out power toward the ends of the lines, and accelerate out into the straightaway.

The team, which incidentally is, as a whole, a huge fan of the GT series, loves racing games, and wants more than anything to develop a genuinely realistic racer. This demo proves its hard work was not in vain. Lap after lap I was in heaven, using the consistent sense of control and speed to my adv

RC45
08-26-2004, 10:44 PM
With basic controls in hands, right trigger to accelerate, left trigger to brake and reverse, players can get right into this speedy, 60 FPS racer.

Right there - THAT's why this is an arcade game.

I dont remember using a left and right trigger when I drove my Z06 home this afternoon.

I used a steering wheel and pedals.

Until XBox gets serious about controls - EVERY game on the platform will be an arcady... ;)

FordGTGuy
08-26-2004, 11:38 PM
RC45 its a game not a car man what the prob not everyone wants to use a wheel and pedals its more comfy to use controllers. people use controllers while playing GT does that make it an arcade game. Its a pretty dumb excuse to call it a arcade plus you can use wheels on Forza.

RC45
08-26-2004, 11:50 PM
RC45 its a game not a car man what the prob not everyone wants to use a wheel and pedals its more comfy to use controllers. people use controllers while playing GT does that make it an arcade game. Its a pretty dumb excuse to call it a arcade plus you can use wheels on Forza.

And the people who play GT are playign it as an arcade game - yes.

I have tried every wheel for the XBox - they all suck so bad, even my 6 year old daughter does not like PGR2 - but prefers GT3.. :P

I guess you have never used a top quality force feed back steering wheel setup before... :)

Mers
08-27-2004, 12:02 AM
Definitely only for the softcore fan....DEFINITELY

GT4 is another world of racing games...this game really is a fancier PGR in essence... I can tell u now, the hardcore, realist fan will want to stick to GT4.... Forza is limited to the person who wants to see cool cars, and does not care much about the realistic features....

FordGTGuy
08-27-2004, 12:02 AM
I don't need to. I wouldn't waste money on it. Seriously if I wanted to use a wheel and pedals I would go out and drive. If I want to play a game I'm gonna use the controller. I would prefer GT3 over PGR2 to because PGR2 is an arcade and GT3 is a sim.

sheruken
09-17-2004, 01:50 PM
Now that this thread is mostly turning in to GT4 vs Forza topic :

GT4 vs Forza

GT4
+ Well established
+ Amazing Graphics
+ Amazing Physics
+ Scenery (3D people in rally, in pits, crowd)
+ Photo Mode
+ 50+ tracks Plus many with reverse option
+ Car Museum
+ 60 fpS
+ The Logitech DFP
+ Force Feedback (Sorry forgot to add this)
+ 500 Cars
+ Oil changes
+ Fuel
+ More than 100 rims to choose from
+ Cars wash. Your car gets dirty, you get to clean it
+ Drift competitions
+ Drag Events
+ Ultra deep sim mode
+ License tests
+ Awesome replays
+ Great soundtrack
+ Used cars
+ 50+ Championships
+ Ralley cars/races
+ Minivans
+ Graphic extras, heat wave/bottoming out sparks/camber, ride height changes etc visible in game
+ Car setups adjustable down to the millimeter. VERY deep
+ Turbo boost indicator
+ G-Force indicator
+ Odometer for individual cars and total mileage tracker
+ Realistic lap times
+ Lap analyzer (Good for seeing where you need to improve your line etc)
+ Tuner village. Everything from turbos to computer racing chips
- Only 6 cars on track
- Online play is not as established as the Xbox (Netcode not as good as XBox)
- No Damage
- No Interiors (Possible Minimal Interiors)
- No Flipping Cars
- No Skidmarks
- No Ferrari & Porsche & Lamborghini
- No reverse lights
- Some of the car's look blurred (possibe just bad screen shots) and yes it's the car in focus
- The AI runs on tracks ( make's the AI predictable)
- Alot of the time it is easy to get a far faster car into a specific car type championship which is suppose to equal the competition
- Easy to bounc off of other cars in corners or use them as help in braking.

Forza

+ XBox Live is more established than the PS2 alternitive
+ Amazing Graphics
+ Amazing Physics
+ Damage
+ 200+ Cars
+ Hundreds of licensed real-world body kits with aerodynamics and weight
+ Very deep exterior paint and decal customization system
+ Scenery
+ Drift Events
+ Drag Events
+ Engine Swapping
+ Flipping Car's Once again this should fall under damage but I wont touch it
+ Ferrari & Porsche ( Lamborghini Probably ) I have my reasons for beiliving Lamborghini will be in Forza
+ Reverse Lights (lol)
+ You actually leave rubber down during an entire race to create a racing line and where you skided off (slow down next time you see that )
+ Drivetrain AI (The AI learns and doe's not run on tracks)
+ 16 cars on track
+ Well modeled car interiors
+ Custom Soundtracks
+ Unique rarity system based on country (ie. Skylines are rarer if you choose to start career in USA or Corvettes are harder to find/buy in Europe)
- Not well established
- No Logitech DFP (unsure the XBox doe's have USB)
- Force Feedback (no one is very clear on this Xbox is appreantly a ***** to program for)
- Graphics not as real looking as GT4
- So far all the racing games on XBOX seem to be jam packed with cheaters who dominate the time trials and people intent on ruining your race. No solution to this problem has made it to any xbox live racer

(Thanks to Front from G T Planet for putting this together.)

RC45
09-18-2004, 06:37 PM
- No Logitech DFP (unsure the XBox doe's have USB)
- Force Feedback (no one is very clear on this Xbox is appreantly a ***** to program for)
- Graphics not as real looking as GT4

This why I will get Forza for novelty of online - and GT4 for driving.

FordGTGuy
09-18-2004, 06:49 PM
ummm graphics do look more real on forza :roll:

plus the xbox controller has 250 sensitivity levels on the analog sticks unlike ps2s controller so a wheel is not really need for good drving plus the feedback givin on the controller is extremely good.

heres an xbox FE wheel

http://us.thrustmaster.com/products/d_prd.php?p=T156&fam=30

it simulates FF

vexor
09-18-2004, 07:32 PM
So far all the racing games on XBOX seem to be jam packed with cheaters who dominate the time trials and people intent on ruining your race. No solution to this problem has made it to any xbox live racer
That's because dumb newbs don't know how to drive and they don't listen to the veterans of the game. PGR2 proves that and I'm sure on GT4 ppl will do the same thing.

+ Awesome replays
+ Great soundtrack
Those are just opinions and they will differ with every person.

+ Minivans
How many people actually want to race a minivan?

RC45
09-18-2004, 09:50 PM
ummm graphics do look more real on forza :roll:

And you are basing this opinion on you own hours of game play?

plus the xbox controller has 250 sensitivity levels on the analog sticks unlike ps2s controller so a wheel is not really need for good drving plus

Spoken like a true game playing kid.. :)

You don't drive with a game pad - you use a wheel - using a wheel is harder and requires more skill - not unlike real driving :P

the feedback givin on the controller is extremely good.

No it is not. That is not focre feed back - that is a vibrator - force feedback actually applies an opposing force to your input increasing the resistance forcing YOU to apply a harder more realistic increasing force to control the vehicle. Again - more akin to real life that kids game pads. :)

heres an xbox FE wheel

http://us.thrustmaster.com/products/d_prd.php?p=T156&fam=30

it simulates FF
Thats right - simulates frce feedback with a stupid shaking vibrator.

I have bought, used and returned that piece of shit the same weekend.

A hand held controller could have 1,000,000 sensitivity levels... would still mean nothing.

You don't drive a car with a game pad - except in games.. ;) :P

FordGTGuy
09-19-2004, 10:22 AM
RC45 i meant the vibrating of the controller does a good job simulating driving on grass and stuff but I wasn't comparing it to FF hell no. I heard the you can't have FF on xbox in North America because a fucking union or something wants to sue MS if they do what faggots.