PDA

View Full Version : Auto or Manual?

heath
09-09-2003, 05:06 AM
I'm a manual man myself...but I saw this same poll on another website and got thinking about JW and what our car nuts here drive!

novass
09-09-2003, 05:15 AM
im a manuel fan myself, i do have an auto in my Nova, but its a lot different than conventional autos. i can still bump shift it up and down, just dont have a clutch, its a lot quicker in shifting then normal autos too, slam it into gear and it immediately shifts. i still think manuels provide more fun overall tho, nothing feels better then some good shifting :D

cho_888
09-09-2003, 05:32 AM
i cant believe you could consider anything else. the only reason i think i would get a manuel is for city driving and that would have to be a side car

Imre
09-09-2003, 05:49 AM
Manual is for me.I`v driven autos too but it`s just not for me.Perhaps in the future when I own a s-class merc I change my mind.

stradale
09-09-2003, 05:56 AM
I don't want anything other than a manual. The feeling of not being completely in control bugs me.

If you do it right, you can make your manual shifts just as smooth as an auto. While accelerating and decelerating a little harder you can do it even smoother. So that's not an argument why anyone should have an auto.

I'm used to shifting manually, so I don't feel like I have to do a lot while driving.

Even at cruising speed on the highway I prefer a manual. What if you want to overtake someone a little bit quicker than you would usually do, but you don't want to rev the car too much to keep it more relaxed for the passengers? You just stay in top gear and floor it. You can't do that with an auto. Sometimes I work as a driver for business men etc. and on those occasions I prefer manual for the reasons I just mentioned. I don't understand why so many executive cars have an auto. Are there too many bad and lazy drivers maybe?

TT
09-09-2003, 06:28 AM
Manual all the way for me...

BADMIHAI
09-09-2003, 07:23 AM
Automatic is disgusting! It's for old farts! I will never drive automatic! Manual rules!

stracing
09-09-2003, 07:43 AM
manual's the best till you drive in a traffic jam. sometimes i feel like just getting my mate to push the car instead. :P

gis
09-09-2003, 08:26 AM
manual for me.

never actually driven an auto so i cant compare which i like better,but i still think id choose a manual,u can really feel the car with a manual IMO

Kangaroo Boy
09-09-2003, 08:55 AM
yeah,I like Manual,I get bored driving auto,But if I had 600+hp V8 XY falcon with a locked up diff,I proably would have auto,because I would go through Manual boxs each week. :cry:

jakaracman
09-09-2003, 09:41 AM
For everyday use I frefer good auto (but with possibility of sequential "manual" shift). But my choice would be robotized manual ("manumatic" - like BMW SMG). Manuals are pain in the ass 90% of the time, pure joy 10% on sunday morning with empty road ...

twboy1999
09-09-2003, 09:57 AM
manual here

sbbs
09-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Manual. I feel I'm the one who controls the car. Driven automatic a few times, boring. And the left foot keep steping on the brake paddle because it's searching for the clutch. :lol:

suqish76
09-09-2003, 11:36 AM
the only time auto is any good is when your girl is leaning over to give you head cause there's no need to change gears
other than that it's useless :lol:

Billyjuan
09-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Well i am a manual fan myself but when i am in a traffic jam i wish i had a automatic because its a pain to shift in stop ang go traffic :D . But I always pick manual over automatic no matter what. U can do funner things on a manual than on a automatic

altezza
09-09-2003, 03:17 PM
manual for me please
automatic is only good for learners or when u're extremely tired when driving in city traffic

SFDMALEX
09-09-2003, 03:35 PM
Auto is fucking piss. They are complete shit. You got no control over anything. they are awfull, for lazy ass' , they should be illegal. I hate auto's.

blah
09-09-2003, 04:26 PM
I drive a Auto right now, but when i get my own car it will be Manual!

SplitVision8
09-09-2003, 10:37 PM
I choose manual without giving auto a second chance...manual helps keep you awake late night but absolutely sucks in heavy traffic

WhiteP
09-10-2003, 01:17 AM
Last year I prefered manual because I was driving an auto car. This year I prefered SMG/F1 (manualmatic) because I m driving manual. I felt really tired holding the clutch sometimes, especially when I m dressed in suite with leather shoes. When I dress formally, I want an AUTO over a manual. I think most professionals drive auto.

heath
09-10-2003, 03:35 AM
Good shit ppl!

This is how it reads so far: Auto's are for butt plugs and manuals are for awesome ppl like me.

Chingachgook
09-10-2003, 09:19 AM
Manual all life. With a manual you fell completely connected with the car, during stats you can decide how fast release the cluth, you move the gearlever and fell the gearbox in your hand... The SMG II/ F1 will be more fast, easier to use, but in a Ferrari I can't imagine not to have the aluminium slotted gearchange...in the end, I agree with Tiff!!

1zippo1
09-10-2003, 10:04 AM
It all depends what you're looking for.

If you like driving, you want to control your gear changes yourself because it's more fun and you feel more in control of the car. If you're a good driver and you push the car hard, your car will also perform better with a manual (in 99% of the case - not with for instance a DSG).

An automatic transmission can be nice in heavy traffic. If you live in central Brussels for instance, like my uncle, you have enough to worry about just not trying to hit anything and getting to your destination.

A paddle shift gearbox on the other hand if probably the best for track driving. It will shift faster and you can keep your hands on the steering wheel at all time!!

For me, a manual plz. I seldom go to a large city and I love the feel of control.

AlienDB7
09-10-2003, 01:09 PM
I drive an automatic myself and I hate it! For upshifts, it's okay since you can pretty much control the shift point with the throttle after you get used to the computer. The problem is with the downshift, it's hard to get it to hold the gear whenever you want. I wouldn't mind tiptronic or SMG with a bit more control. Manual is perfect when you're not driving in the city... Unfortunately, 99% of my driving is in the city, I will probably end up with somthing along the line of tiptronic when it's time to get my own car. Most cars with V6 come with autobox here, you're pretty much forced to dump the manual option when you need just a bit more power :(

They should make cars like rally cars so you can use either sequential or manual depends on the situation. That should solve this manual vs. auto issue :)

Johns
09-10-2003, 01:15 PM
how about a poll for half auto half manual :D

SFDMALEX
09-10-2003, 04:07 PM
I think most professionals drive auto.

Professionals as in what?

Homans
09-11-2003, 12:47 PM
Professional LOSERS. But seriously, I realize that holding the clutch gets tiring, and living in Boston, i certainly know something about rush hour...but there really is no substitute for the ability to control everything about your car. There's no reason NOT to learn to drive manual, and people who dont want to simply have no idea what they are missing.

oic0
09-11-2003, 08:34 PM
Manual dosent bother me at all in traffic. I love playing with the clutch and judging how far letting it out a certain amount will let me roll. Only time it bothers me is in stop and go driving. My truck has a gutless 4 cylinder and I hit 5th gear at 45mph (shifting economically). For every red light, stop sign, person turning left, or lazy grampa who dosent notice the light Is green I have to shift 5 or more times. UGHHH I prolly shift 200 times on the way to class in the morning. I still dont wish it was an auto though, I wish it was a powerful V-8 with much taller gears.

heath
09-12-2003, 03:44 AM
I think most professionals drive auto.

wtf??

professional racers?

professional doctors?

if you mean racers....then....ah...what are you doing at Jabbas world?

if you mean doctors....then...ah....what are you doing at Jabbas world?

WhiteP
09-12-2003, 04:14 AM
sorry guys it was kinda confusing..

professionals like lawyers, doctors, bank managers....

I m not saying that they don't drive manual..
but they probably drive auto daily, and manual for fun and weekend uses..

Wide
09-12-2003, 05:16 AM
Of course manual..
auto is so nice but I cant have the fully engine performance with it..
manual is a bit hard in city traffic but its better than the other for the total result..
Can play the limits.. :D

jakaracman
09-12-2003, 07:04 AM
Good shit ppl!

This is how it reads so far: Auto's are for butt plugs and manuals are for awesome ppl like me.
Thank you
Yours faithfully
butt plug

oeggermo
09-18-2003, 10:56 AM
I prefer manual. But I like manual like the SMG from BMW. I drove a M3 E46 a whole weekend, a friend of mine has one and I must say that SMG is really easy so you can concentrate on drifting and power sliding. But I would never go for an full automatic gearbox.NEVER!!!!!

GT-R_R34
09-20-2003, 12:43 AM
i am manual person but with the horrific traffic here in Los Angeles i need an auto lucky i have both auto for work manual for the weekends

gmd97
10-03-2003, 09:07 PM
depends on the car really. sporty car/small engine manual, otherwise auto.

midax
10-06-2003, 03:17 PM
I'm for manual only, with the automatic there's no fun :-)

espen
10-07-2003, 06:26 AM
Manual for me, perhaps a twin clutch paddle-sift like on the new TT? 8) Autos are for old guys in lazy cars. I cant believe Audi made the RS6 auto only... jeez... :roll:

Chaos in 1983!
10-23-2003, 01:43 AM
Manual, Automatic sucks. With the manual gearbox you are more connected to the car..