PDA

View Full Version : McRae set for NASCAR talks

TT
09-08-2003, 11:51 AM
Interesting.. we all know Colin is in great danger with the new rules since he did not well this season but he doesn't qualify for a third seat... but well.. he would like to keep driving, and even if rallying is his passion, he may end up in US on a NASCAR car :D:

Colin McRae will meet representatives from America's stock car racing series, NASCAR, later this month to discuss a move to the country's most popular form of motorsport, reports the Scotland on Sunday newspaper.

McRae could lose his seat at pace-setters Citroen at the end of this season and while the Scot says he's determined to stay in the WRC, he's exploring all avenues, including NASCAR.

“All the doors aren’t closed in WRC and I always said if I stopped in WRC I would still like to continue a driving career," he said. "There are lots of interesting proposals but I would like to try and stay here as much as I can.

"I think I would be quick enough but F1 would require a massive amount of commitment," he told the Scottish newspaper. "What appeals to me more is GT racing or NASCAR."

McRae has had a taste of oval racing before. Last year he took part in a UK version of stock car racing, ASCAR at the Rockingham Motor Speedway (pictured). He was racing as high as fourth place before a puncture dropped his down to sixth.

draak666
09-08-2003, 12:00 PM
Nascar? Is he out of his mind? They probably offered him a lot of money. Why else would one want to drive around in an oval? :|

TT
09-08-2003, 12:43 PM
I thought exactly the same... funny how he says he'd like to try GT or NASCAR... like if the were almost the same LOL!

SFDMALEX
09-08-2003, 04:46 PM
He thinks he's fast enough for F1. Yeah right, please....The only thing he;s fast enough for is nascar.

TT
09-08-2003, 05:04 PM
He thinks he's fast enough for F1. Yeah right, please....The only thing he;s fast enough for is nascar.

Not sure :P he will win some races the first season.. than no more for the next 20 years, like in WRC :P

draak666
09-08-2003, 05:10 PM
So, now I wonder what his next computer game will be. Colin McRae NASCAR, Colin McRae GT Racing or Colin McRae F1. I already know which one I won't be buying (or copying). :D

TT
09-08-2003, 05:14 PM
So, now I wonder what his next computer game will be. Colin McRae NASCAR, Colin McRae GT Racing or Colin McRae F1. I already know which one I won't be buying (or copying). :D

Shit, I didn't realise that!! You're right!! LOL!

troskap
09-08-2003, 05:54 PM
Going to NASCAR? Cripes! Man, how can Colin McRae drop his reputation further than to do that? (A Ford Fiesta Racing League circuit, perhaps?) And this is coming from a semi-fan of NASCAR....

Of course, given how frequently the racers end up driving through the grass at the bottom of the track on any given race, I'd say Colin's bound to have a big advantage. :P

novass
09-08-2003, 06:25 PM
NASCAR?! wtf, this should be interesting. hopefully well get to see him drift the Nascar around the oval :lol:

TT
09-08-2003, 06:28 PM
BTW, I'd like to see in 2004 Colin and Makinen in the Paris-Dakar :D

geekdiggy
09-09-2003, 05:49 AM
Colin McRae will meet representatives from America's stock car racing series, NASCAR, later this month to discuss a move to the country's most popular form of motorsport, reports the Scotland on Sunday newspaper.

McRae could lose his seat at pace-setters Citroen at the end of this season and while the Scot says he's determined to stay in the WRC, he's exploring all avenues, including NASCAR.

“All the doors aren’t closed in WRC and I always said if I stopped in WRC I would still like to continue a driving career," he said. "There are lots of interesting proposals but I would like to try and stay here as much as I can.

"I think I would be quick enough but F1 would require a massive amount of commitment," he told the Scottish newspaper. "What appeals to me more is GT racing or NASCAR."

McRae has had a taste of oval racing before. Last year he took part in a UK version of stock car racing, ASCAR at the Rockingham Motor Speedway (pictured). He was racing as high as fourth place before a puncture dropped his down to sixth.

coulda just said go to wrc.com it's on the front page

as for colin, i think it's stupid for him to leave the best pro motorsport and join the WORST pro motorsport. driving career, right, i don't think a scott will fare very well in a venue dominated by rednecks and yankees (no offense to nascrap fans). i still can't imagine a WRC season without colin :?

TT
09-09-2003, 06:26 AM
[quote=TT]coulda just said go to wrc.com it's on the front page

Sure, sorry dude.. next time I'll post "guys, browse a little the net and see the last news about Coli McRae..." http://www.flytrap.it/public/ttsib/smilies/sbonk.gif

666fast
09-15-2003, 07:13 PM
You can add the ALMS to the list of possibilities. I for one would love to see him in ALMS!

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=motorsportsnews&loc_code=index&content_code=06051181