PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting facts about top fuel dragsters...

dis3as3d
09-07-2003, 03:03 AM
One dragster's 500-inch Hemi makes more horsepower than the first 8 rows at Daytona.

Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1 1/2 gallons of nitro per second, the same rate of fuel consumption as a fully loaded 747 but with 4 times the energy volume.

The supercharger takes more power to drive than a stock Hemi makes.

Even with nearly 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into nearly-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock.

Dual magnetos apply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

At the stoichiometric (exact) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture (for nitro), the flame front of nitromethane measures 7050 degrees F. (It explodes! It doesn't really "burn").

Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from the heat of compression - plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting of it's fuel flow.

If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in those cylinders and then explodes with a force that can blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or blow the block in half.

Dragsters twist the crank (torsionally) so far (20 degrees in the big end of the track) that sometimes cam lobes are ground offset from front to rear to re-phase the valve timing somewhere closer to synchronization with the pistons.

Launch acceleration is close to 8G's.

If all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once nothing blows up, each run still costs $1000.00 per second.

Top Fuel Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you finish reading this sentence.

novass
09-07-2003, 04:31 AM
interesting, learn something new everyday :D

i love drag racing, not many of my friends do, but i love it. i like anything fast. the top fuel cars are incredible. you can feel the horsepower when that thing takes off. 0-300+ in under 5 secs is pretty amazing

rp
09-07-2003, 04:36 AM
"Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from the heat of compression - plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting of it's fuel flow.
"

I always liked that :D

alondahan
09-07-2003, 06:46 AM
another interesting fact: under full throtle the engine lasts less than 8 sec :wink:

stracing
09-07-2003, 07:54 AM
i'm not interested in drag racing either...but what happens in an engine at those extremities is interesting

Nemisis8u
09-07-2003, 04:05 PM
Some very interesting facts. Thnx :D

SFDMALEX
09-07-2003, 04:48 PM
Cool stuff. But the reliability is worse then on a fiat lolll.

blah
09-07-2003, 05:23 PM
Im american so of course im in to Drag Racing, our cars cant turn, but you put us in a straight line your done :lol:

Kangaroo Boy
10-03-2003, 10:23 AM
Did you know that the TWIN Screw supercharger pulls around 44psi to 55psi of Postive charge air.Thats enuff to Blow a Fully Worked 2jz GTE apart.

SilviaS15Cwest
10-08-2003, 03:44 PM
Interesting...

deth
10-08-2003, 07:05 PM
cool, thanx for the info.............hey SilviaS15Cwest is it me or is the wing missing off the sti in your sig? isnt it supposed to have a big ass carbonfirbe deal like it had in evo recently?

SilviaS15Cwest
10-14-2003, 10:08 PM
I dunno. They dont even sell this model where im from. So your guess is as good as mine.

hemi_fan
10-22-2003, 03:47 PM
hahaha, i wondered where they moved this thread. Thats not all the stuff, must've got cut off... i'll see what got left out and add it.

hemi_fan
10-22-2003, 03:49 PM
here we go:

Top fuel engines turn ONLY 540 revolutions from light to light!

The redline is actually quite high at 9500rpm.

The current TF dragster elapsed time record is 4.477 seconds for the quarter mile (06/02/01 Kenny Bernstein)

Putting all of this in perspective:

You are driving an average Lingenfelter powered "twin-turbo" Corvette. (www.lingenfelter.com) Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start, but you still run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200mph.

At this moment, the dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot hard down, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within seconds the dragster carches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you passed him.
That, folks, is acceleration.

Think about it, from a standing start, this phenomenal machine has spotted you 200mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 feet.

Now... tell me about the time you spun the wheels and laid rubber on dry concrete.

heath
10-27-2003, 04:59 AM

bahahhahahaha

thats beyond nasty...

cho_888
10-27-2003, 05:17 AM
Top Fuel Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you finish reading this sentence.

I dont know i can read pretty quick :P :P :P

RC45
11-03-2003, 03:05 PM

bahahhahahaha

thats beyond nasty...

...but pretty much sums up all domestic cars in the USA... ;)

hemi_fan
11-03-2003, 04:44 PM
yeah because you see top fuel dragsters on the road all the time in the US :S

jwar
12-23-2003, 01:49 PM
I remember getting those facts in a forward awhile back.

Another fact is they go 0-100mph in less that 0.8 seconds.
I wanted to find a 0-60mph statistic but I couldn't find it. I wonder why :)

jwar
12-23-2003, 01:50 PM

jwar
12-23-2003, 01:58 PM

sickx
12-23-2003, 03:12 PM
The acceleration is brutal--can you imagaine accelerating to 120mph faster than an F-18 that is CATAPULTED (not purely under its own power!)??!!

gottacatchup
01-08-2004, 08:07 PM
those engines are nuts, too bad they're incredibly unreliable
if only they could fix that and then drop one into something that turns....

astonmartinandy
01-09-2004, 09:55 AM
Yeah those are some pretty interesting statistics! I went to go and the top fuel dragsters at Santa Pod last summer and the speed that those go is insane - not to mention the noise that they make!

Another interesting thing is that when the tyres they are rolling up to the start and look creased and folded is due to the torque from the engine at the start literally twisting the tyres before turning them! That's power..

zevolv
01-09-2004, 10:09 AM
Another interesting thing is that when the tyres they are rolling up to the start and look creased and folded is due to the torque from the engine at the start literally twisting the tyres before turning them! That's power..

Actually the tires aren't fully inflated so that the insane amount of heat created by all the friction can expand the air and fill the tires.

Toronto
01-09-2004, 11:43 AM
did u know it takes no skill at all to be a drag driver :D

Gecko5
01-09-2004, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the info.

zr2man99
01-10-2004, 02:04 AM
did u know it takes no skill at all to be a drag driver :D

It takes plenty of skill not to shit your pants when you hit the loud pedal on a 6,000hp missle.

deth
01-10-2004, 02:18 AM
Actually the tires aren't fully inflated so that the insane amount of heat created by all the friction can expand the air and fill the tires.
i agree that the friction would partially inflate the tire, but i thought it was mainly due to teh centripital force generated by the rotating tire...hence the tire getting taller and thinner.

jpatino03
01-10-2004, 02:54 AM
It also probably takes quite a bit of skill to launch something with 3000+ horsepower without spinning the tires and to keep these things going in a straight line while under 8 G's of acceleration. Plus having a name like "John Force" is pretty cool.

mhn3773
01-10-2004, 04:51 AM
the air in the tires does not expand enough to "fill" the tire..they are run totaly different tires then on a normal car and are meant to run with extremly low psi for a big foot print on lauch but they expand and get taller for a different gear ratio..something like that not a precise quote but it is close

frodefe
01-10-2004, 02:44 PM
I would have to admit that dragracing is not my favorite car activity
top fuel and all that is way to extreme - they don't look like cars any more

- but sometimes it's fun to see hoe far one can push the limits..

Here's a link I found - containing dragracing:http://forum.vwsport.com/dload.php

gottacatchup
01-13-2004, 12:09 AM
i agree that the friction would partially inflate the tire, but i thought it was mainly due to teh centripital force generated by the rotating tire...hence the tire getting taller and thinner.

bingo

DinoGuan
01-17-2004, 02:18 AM
hmm, drag is ok, just seems like there is soo much more involved in track racing, just rubs me in the right way :mrgreen:

RockerII
02-14-2004, 09:04 PM
This guy's got them beat

"Autographed postcard picturing a solid-fuel rocket-powered sled labeled "Sonic Wind No. 1" - describes it as "used to expose human volunteer Stapp to 632 miles per hour attained in five seconds and to deceleration of 40 times gravity in 1.4 seconds, stopping in 690 feet on Holloman Air Force Base test track" Dec. 10, 1954. " 8) :shock:

http://www.floridatoday.com/space/explore/stories/1999b/111899k.htm

porsche94
02-15-2004, 04:45 PM
kinda old ive seen those facts months ago

Garretts_turbo
02-23-2004, 11:51 PM
i am in awe......i cant even imagine what it feels like to accelerate that fast. must be a incredible push. do the drivers wear vest (like the ones wore in kart racing) that help against the Gs?

scumhookleo
02-24-2004, 12:20 AM
here we go:

Top fuel engines turn ONLY 540 revolutions from light to light!

The redline is actually quite high at 9500rpm.

The current TF dragster elapsed time record is 4.477 seconds for the quarter mile (06/02/01 Kenny Bernstein)

Putting all of this in perspective:

You are driving an average Lingenfelter powered "twin-turbo" Corvette. (www.lingenfelter.com) Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start, but you still run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200mph.

At this moment, the dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot hard down, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within seconds the dragster carches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you passed him.
That, folks, is acceleration.

Think about it, from a standing start, this phenomenal machine has spotted you 200mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 feet.

Now... tell me about the time you spun the wheels and laid rubber on dry concrete.

And then there was a nasty little 30 degree corner...

heh heh hee.

Mind you, a corner at 200mph in a vette's not going to be a walk in the park either. At least the rail's got at chute.

By the way, that was a really nice description of a top fueler in action. I haven't been to the drags for a few years, but I still miss having my internal organs rattled around when those bastards fire up.

Ferrarikid
03-25-2004, 09:02 PM
nice i have a rc nitromethane truck it runs on 20 % nitro and has 2.5 hp it goes bout 45 mph :D

Skaala
05-01-2004, 08:10 PM
interesting reading...

Skaala
05-01-2004, 08:16 PM
interesting reading...

gogo4ever
05-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Cool facts. Thanx dis3as3d

Boltz
06-25-2004, 06:57 PM
Id like to add to that list that some drivers have to undergo surgery, because when the parachute hits their eyes fall out of the sockets. No joke.

nurbrun
06-25-2004, 11:05 PM
WOW thnx man, i learned MORE than one thing today. I apreciate it :wink:

sau_mathur
06-26-2004, 12:04 AM
Thats incredible..! Thanks for all the facts

Skyliner
07-07-2004, 02:24 PM
That is some wild facts.... Imagine if Ferrari put their budget from formula 1 into this kind of racing!!! Then there will be some record-breaking in the next couple of years.....

But if you think about it. They don't even have a higher efficiency than the F1-cars had in the mid 80', where a turbocharged 1.5 liter engine produced between 1200-1500 bhp when they were driving kval. And they lasted over three minutes. See thats impressive!