PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler ME412 moves forward

666fast
07-29-2004, 10:56 AM
From Detroit News:

DaimlerChrysler AG’s Chrysler Group appears to be hitting the gas on plans to build its Chrysler ME Four-Twelve super car.

“It’s more likely than not” that Chrysler will build the lightning-fast sports car, which was shown as a concept vehicle at the Detroit auto show in January, said Chrysler CEO Dieter Zetsche.

A final decision will come by the end of the year, Zetsche said, but his comments mark the most definitive word yet on the project.

A key question remains: How many should be built?

“The business case could be between seven vehicles at $1 million (a piece) or 1,000 a year,” Zetsche said in an interview. In the latter case, “we would have to be more down-to-earth with pricing.”

Chrysler created the ME Four-Twelve as a halo for the company’s eponymous brand, as the company has done with the Viper sports car for Dodge and the retro-cool Plymouth Prowler.

Unlike those vehicles, however, Chrysler will not dedicate factory space to the ME Four-Twelve, Zetsche said.

“We are in talks with partners who are interested in building it,” he said. “But it must make sense.”

The ME Four Twelve — named for its mid-engine design, four turbo chargers and 12-cylinder power plant — was the brainchild of Wolfgang Bernhard, Chrysler’s former chief operating officer.

Bernhard, who remains on DaimlerChrysler’s management board, drove the 850-horsepower ME Four-Twelve this month at Chrysler’s test track in Chelsea.

“Even though it’s not his responsibility anymore, I wanted to give him the chance to see where we were with it,” Zetsche said.

Engineers are still testing the ME Four-Twelve to back up claims that it can reach speeds of 240 mph and do 0-to-60 in under three seconds. Such performance would make the ME Four-Twelve the fastest street car in the world.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dreamscar/Chrysler-ME412.jpg

Came across this info at another forum I visit, thought you guys might be interested.
I am, I honestly didn't think Chrysler would have the cajones to actually put this beast into production. Seems like it could be happening though. Kind of wierd to think that Chrysler, of all companies, would build a supercar. I say go for it, just for shits and giggles.

Now lets wait for someone to say American car companies can't build shit and this car will suck even though noone knows much about it.

Mopsdrops
07-29-2004, 11:27 AM
thanks very much for the info !! nice to get to hear something again of this car. it's a beast

RC45
07-29-2004, 11:30 AM
But i twon't be their car:

Unlike those vehicles, however, Chrysler will not dedicate factory space to the ME Four-Twelve, Zetsche said.

“We are in talks with partners who are interested in building it,” he said. “But it must make sense.”

Much like the Crossfire isn't theirs, but a reflection of produciotn quality and build of a thrid party assembler.

racer_f50
07-29-2004, 03:00 PM
or 1,000 a year,

I seriously hope they don't build that many of these. it would take a potential great car and cheapen it substantially. plus, if its a bunch of rich old American guys buying them, i'm not sure most of them can be trusted with such power and speed :?

good to hear that the car hasn't been trashed yet though :)

blah
07-29-2004, 03:08 PM
or 1,000 a year,

I seriously hope they don't build that many of these. it would take a potential great car and cheapen it substantially. plus, if its a bunch of rich old American guys buying them, i'm not sure most of them can be trusted with such power and speed :?

what you talking about, if richer older american guys buy this car, they are more than likely to have other cars which are just as fast and now how to handle it. Unlike if some new daddys money guy buys it and trashes it. Just like that enzo that got totalted by that lil fuck.

mit5005
07-29-2004, 07:31 PM
I hope they make it so there is a little more American competition in the supercar market. And with a quad turbo 12, it would surely make a mark.

racer_f50
07-29-2004, 07:58 PM
or 1,000 a year,

what you talking about, if richer older american guys buy this car, they are more than likely to have other cars which are just as fast and now how to handle it. Unlike if some new daddys money guy buys it and trashes it. Just like that enzo that got totalted by that lil fuck.

i guess i'm more referring to younger guys like that Enzo owner. i said old people cuz thats always what i think of when i think of rich people, so just ignore that i guess.

the old guys aren't always better though, since half of them will just let the car sit in their garage or on a display :(

RC45
07-29-2004, 08:23 PM
or 1,000 a year,

i guess i'm more referring to younger guys like that Enzo owner. i said old people cuz thats always what i think of when i think of rich people, so just ignore that i guess.

the old guys aren't always better though, since half of them will just let the car sit in their garage or on a display :(

The really sad part is "that guy who trashed his dad's Enzo" wasn't a "kid" perse... but rather an idle 30-something rich-playboy-wannabe-some-time-lawyer-teacher-living-off-dads-fame-and-money more than a punky kid...

Even more sad... is that's not the first Ferrari he trashed with abandon...

novass
07-30-2004, 01:30 AM
Came across this info at another forum I visit...

You dirty whore! LOL

I hope they build this just for the sake of putting more horsepower on the road. I wouldnt mind seeing this thing cruising around.

blah
07-30-2004, 01:58 AM
or 1,000 a year,

The really sad part is "that guy who trashed his dad's Enzo" wasn't a "kid" perse... but rather an idle 30-something rich-playboy-wannabe-some-time-lawyer-teacher-living-off-dads-fame-and-money more than a punky kid...

Even more sad... is that's not the first Ferrari he trashed with abandon...

me and you have a road trip to this guys house. Time to to a beat down. Maybe you can run him over in the z06 and knock some sense into his dumb ass. God its these paris hilton wanna be dunces that piss me off the most. I feel sorry for their parents, that their kids are fucking morons.

rob_e1
07-30-2004, 05:25 AM
I have serious reservations about the viability of this car.. :?

BADMIHAI
07-31-2004, 12:25 AM
And I thought it would be another Veyron. It's still not too late. :mrgreen:

666fast
07-31-2004, 03:15 AM
And I thought it would be another Veyron. It's still not too late. :mrgreen:

The difference is that Bugatto showed it and saif it would go into production.
Chrysler said they could put it in production.

Bugatti shot themselves in the foot, Chrysler left themselves a way out without pissing off customers if they decided not to build it.