PDA

View Full Version : RC Nitro pulling to one side help needed

The Devils Bravo
07-27-2004, 06:02 AM
Hi Guys,

I have got a RC Nitro car and due to my spaky cousin :) (sorry Gav but it was your fault!! ) side swiping me when we was racing our cars I now have a slight pull to the left ( the side he hit me ) any ideas what could have caused this.. I have been solt its a bent drive shaft which i have checked and yes its marginally bent but i cant see how this would effect it?

Also My cousins car the stering servo now makes a nasty clicking sound when turning left or right.. we have taken it to bits and all the cogs look fine again any ideas?

The impact was at about 45 - 50mph but nothing else looks damaged?

:twisted:

Vansquish
07-27-2004, 01:34 PM
A bent driveshaft could easily make the car turn to one side a little bit, as with the shorter length and increased friction caused by that, the affected wheel would not be as willing to turn at as high a rate as the rest of the components of the car. I've suffered bent driveshafts in my car too, and the only real remedy is to buy a new shaft, unless you happen to be able to bend it back to the proper alignment. If you do bend it though, beware, as the metal will have fatigued some and will be more prone to damange in the future. As for the servo, whether or not the cogs are all present, it may have been forced to a different position than it was intended to be in during the impact. Try removing it from the car and all its associated apparatus and running the servo by itself...if it continues to click, see if you can locate the sound (I know it's a tiny device, but sometimes you can still tell)...see if the motion is jerky etc...etc...

666fast
07-27-2004, 03:40 PM
LikeVansquish said, a bent driveshaft could cause it to pull to the side. Make sure to check the A Arms as well. Make sure the wheel is fine, check the camber and toe. Since you know the driveshaft is bent, it's probably that.
The only time I've heard a servo click is when it has a stripped gear. Replacement gears aren't expensive. Unless he is using a metal gear servo, if it's just a normal servo, it should be less that 10GBP. I suggest replacing them before it gives out and ruins his fun. Or causes it to slam into a wall.
Are you sure it doesn't click when going just forward or reverse? If it does that, you might have a small rock in the spur gear. Or the spur gear is missing a few teeth. There is also the possibility of a trashed diff making noise. But, if it is the servo, replace the gears.

The Devils Bravo
07-28-2004, 03:44 AM
Cheers Guys for the feedback, I think you are right with teh drive shaft I will get new ones this weekend.. bettr than the hassle of bending it back as you know it will never be right..

as for the servo its his stearing servo, and when taken out of the car its fine? but when in the car and connected up it is jerky and clicks like made like its missing teeth.. Think ill advise him to go and get a new one rather than mess about trying to fix it.. like 666fast says if it end up in a wall it will be a lot more expensive to fix..

These dam cars are fun when they are running well but hassle to maintain.. The joke is I only just fixed my fron end after smashing the whole lot up.. inc fuel tank.. when i hit a 4 inch post ina car park that was about 200m square.. Fixed it up all new front end running real sweet then whack side swiped!! he he he... dam cars.. if it aint the real ones it the toy ones..

Thanks again..
:twisted:

666fast
07-28-2004, 04:08 AM
as for the servo its his stearing servo, and when taken out of the car its fine?

Check the linkages attached to the servo. Check the whole steering assembly, something might be binding up or even broken.

brian
07-28-2004, 03:02 PM
may be time for a metal gear servo and a servo saver.