PDA

View Full Version : So who agrees with JC?

SkylineGTR34VspecII
09-03-2003, 01:43 PM
JC thinks that the paddle gear shifts are aweful. Im not so convinced this it true because I didn't hear Tiff complain one bit. In fact its one of his favorite cars. So what do you think is the truth?

SplitVision8
09-03-2003, 02:09 PM
i dont take JC opinions to heart that much, he is sooooo ferrari biased and he is a clumbsy brit with those paddle shifters. he is a good tv host though. personally i would think that not having to hit the clutch drop the gas shift then hit gas is harder than pressing or pulling a shifter on the steering wheel

draak666
09-03-2003, 02:42 PM
In fact, Tiff isn't in favor of paddle gear shifts on a roadcar either. I saw him say that on Top Gear some time ago while trying to suddenly get in reverse in a Ferrari because of oncoming traffic. He said paddle shifts are only usefull on the track and normal gearboxes are more usefull for daily driving. And I aggree with that.

TT
09-03-2003, 03:05 PM
IMO it's also a personal feeling.. there are ppl loving the paddles, and others hating them... and sure on some cars the system is better than on others...

I never drove a car with a paddle shifter, so I'm not really up to the task of judging it, but I love the classic one, although I see the advantages of having both hands on the wheel constantly...

stradale
09-03-2003, 03:06 PM
Even on the track Tiff wasn't completely satisfied with the F1 paddle shift of the Ferrari 360. Downshifts were fine, but to shift up he couldn't keep the throttle full open.

I think it could be fun, especially on the downshifts. On the track that is. On the road there doesn't seem too much need for gearboxes like that. I can imagine that performing a good shift in a manual Ferrari is tons more rewarding than just pulling a paddle.

666fast
09-03-2003, 03:18 PM
I've never driven a car with them, so I can't say that I like them. I think I'd prefer a normal gear box though.

skelter
09-03-2003, 04:18 PM
I like the paddles, it's so fast and you don't have to take your hands off the wheel, and no more mis-shifts.

SFDMALEX
09-03-2003, 04:37 PM
Well there are advantages and disatvantages.

When I play my race sims I always use the H pattern shifter. I feel more in control over the car. I have the ability to shift down two gears at the time, so times that is really good when you want to pass someone on braking. You go from 6th to 4th to 2nd, where in paddle or sequential you go from 6th to 5th to 4th to 3rd to 2nd.

At some tracks you'll gain time with a sequential, on others you'll lose time with a sequntial.

It's all adds up.......

stracing
09-03-2003, 10:21 PM
if i was given paddels i think i'll go playstation mode and start crashing cars

for me i like all my cars to have the full shebang. sometimes i wish gt3 incorporated a clutch button into their game. but for racing i see how it gives you the edge to beat others.

SL55 AMG
09-03-2003, 10:32 PM
As TT said its a personal opinion.....JC hates them, Tiff enjoys them

Yes Tiff does now how to drive too, JC on the other hand is just an entertaining host.

Me depends on the car. I'd go with Tiff i love the Italians Shift gate especially in a Ferrari. Why not have both one manual one semi.

f0racer
09-03-2003, 11:01 PM
I agree, it comes down to personnel opinion/preference. Manual transmissions are more fun but “true” paddle gear shifters are quicker at changing gears. As for me, I’ll take manual for the road and paddle gear shifter for the track (F1 anyone?). Besides, I don’t mind have an Enzo Ferrari with a “true” paddle gear shifter.

novass
09-04-2003, 12:06 AM
i got to drive a 360 with paddles, but only for about 20 minutes, so it was hard to really get a good feel for them. but yea, personal preference all the way, i love the conventional stick, probably too much to even give the paddles a fair chance.

AlienDB7
09-04-2003, 02:46 AM
Actually, Tiff didn't exactly enjoy the paddle shift. I believe it's from the ferrari 360 review, he said he prefers manual because it's more fun bliping the throttle himself while downshifting.

If you look at rally drivers, not all of them use the ring for sequential shift. Some prefer to have the knob instead. It's all about personal preference.

heath
09-04-2003, 04:00 AM
Bring on the H pattern for me! I've driven a car with a sequential gearbox recently and it drove me MAD!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't stand it! Give me a NORMAL gearbox anyday! The shift was slugish, slow and jerky! They're horrid!!

Jabba
09-04-2003, 04:22 AM
Actually, Tiff didn't exactly enjoy the paddle shift. I believe it's from the ferrari 360 review, he said he prefers manual because it's more fun bliping the throttle himself while downshifting.

Indeed correct...he actually describes the Ferrari he would buy... A 360, Manual and Red....

I used to have a porsche 993 tip-tronic and have driven a 355 F1 and I hated the buttons and paddles in both...also the 355 F1 owner said he wished he had got the manual instead....the 355 is all about the driving experience and why would you want to loose any of it to a semi automatic system....also a few people on JW that have driven 355's have all commented on how nice the "click" is of the gated gear shift in the 355...no one should miss out on this.... its great to hear and feel....

I am sure paddle systems are getting better all the time...and I would imagine the Enzo transmission system is totally awesome and a near F1 experience....now if only I can find out for myself.... :D

jon_s
09-04-2003, 07:02 AM
Just a point....in the current issue of EVO, they test the Gallardo with and without shifters.......outcome.........they would take the shifters over the manual! So things must be getting better. IMO, I would never have a Ferrari without a manual..........I might be tempted on another car.

jakaracman
09-04-2003, 07:23 AM
I've drive quite a few paddle shifters. I think that the problem is simple. "Cheap" cars (like Alfa selespeed) have bad systems, they are jerking, slow monsters. I prefer H pattern. However more expensive cars (like BMW 330Ci SMG) have the system sorted out better, so there I would prefer paddles. But paddles for masses? Not for a long time ...

dis3as3d
09-04-2003, 01:15 PM
You know, any new ferrari is fine with me :D. Paddle shift, automatic, red, blue, whatever. Its still a ferrari!

mendocino
09-04-2003, 04:14 PM
Well I'm sorry about that bur I TOTALLY agree with him!! I just don't like paddle shifts! I won't convert you all too paddle shift but here's my point of view:

1 I want to control my car ... that paddle shift in going up is crappy... you don't know exacly when it's going to change and when it does, your head his hitting the steering wheel! (if you're accerating hard) downchange is quite good tough.

2 you have to put your 2 hands on the wheel and that is just annoying. imagine you're on the phone, left hand on it and the trafiifc lights goes red... you have to go down... hum...problem. you dont have that problem with manual or automatic (just brake and clutch in manual or leave the auto do the job)

3 when doing a parking... that sucks.. reverse , first reverse first... with 3 inches front and back... leave it!

but the most important thing is the control one, I want to control what happends, doing some 'blibs' of the throttle when changing down and do some quick gear change. it's driving IMO. paddle shift will increase your lap time for sure.. but you won't be as happy as you did it with full manual control, well at least at my point of view.

alondahan
09-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Just a point....in the current issue of EVO, they test the Gallardo with and without shifters.......outcome.........they would take the shifters over the manual! So things must be getting better.

or maybe things are geting worse. they said the conventional manual in the gallardo is cable operated and it's bad one. like in a lotus.

skelter
09-04-2003, 05:30 PM
imagine you're on the phone

You shouldn't talk on the phone while driving. and it's best to have both hands on the wheel at all times.

mendocino
09-04-2003, 05:33 PM
You shouldn't talk on the phone while driving. and it's best to have both hands on the wheel at all times.

Of course I souldn't, ut sometimes I do... I was expecting that comment.. it's like saying we don't care that porsches brake goes from 100-0 very quickly because you're not supposed to be that fast... :? but well... people do sometimes phone and do sometimes eat while driving. and don't tell me you always keep both hands on the steering wheel... :D

Chingachgook
09-05-2003, 05:06 AM
Jeremy hates the paddle-shifter but has got the Vanquish...little contraddiction don't you think??

I prefer the normal gear lever, with the click-clack while moving it through the aluminium gate...

Instead the paddle shifter( it's not a sequential, it's simply a normal munual gearbox whit electro+hydraulics attuators) I'll choose a pure sequential, like the Tuscan R. I don't mind if it's brutal, noisy or whatsoever...it's a pure racing gearbox. and you can still use th clutch, the gearlever a blip the throttle on downchanges!

alondahan
09-05-2003, 05:47 AM
Jeremy hates the paddle-shifter but has got the Vanquish...little contraddiction don't you think??

what are you talking about :? ? he doesn't have a vanquish.

Chingachgook
09-05-2003, 08:12 AM
alondahan, I read somewhere (don't remember where) that he sold the F355 and now he ownes a Vanquish, but probably it isn't correct! What car he drives now?

mendocino
09-05-2003, 08:17 AM
SL55...

stradale
09-05-2003, 09:29 AM
I really like Clarkson and he's my favourite host. Most times I also agree with him on cars. I just don't understand how he could sell his F355 and get an SL55 AMG. It's probably a better allround car, but the EVO longtermer has many problems, so I'm not even sure about that. What I don;t get either is that JC has a problem with paddle shift cars and now drives a car with a fully automatic gearbox.

Who does understand this or can explain why he chose the SL55 over the F355? After all, he claimed he would never sell the F355.

alondahan
09-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Who does understand this or can explain why he chose the SL55 over the F355?

that because he's nuts :silly:

rp
09-05-2003, 02:23 PM
I guess he just wanted something that was a tad more practical? Or maybe just something different... Even though its hard for a "normal" person to grasp, it may get boring to own even a 355?

alondahan
09-05-2003, 03:48 PM
Or maybe just something different... Even though its hard for a "normal" person to grasp, it may get boring to own even a 355?

I think Jabba would disagree :wink:

Jabba
09-05-2003, 04:04 PM
I think you can get used to it...as you can with anything...(even sex)...I find it retains its excitement if not used daily....and especially if you have a much slower car as your daily driver....

AlienDB7
09-05-2003, 05:18 PM
Who does understand this or can explain why he chose the SL55 over the F355? After all, he claimed he would never sell the F355.
He mentioned why he chose the SL55 AMG over the ferrari in that SL55 review from 2002 series of top gear. Can't remember exactly what he said but it's something along the line of having a more relaxed ride after a "hard day" at work. I can understand why, after driving all the supercars during the day, he probably wants something different.

SFDMALEX
09-05-2003, 05:38 PM
Who said he sold it? I dont think he sold it. He just got a amg. I'm sure he got the cash.

mendocino
09-05-2003, 06:30 PM
As he said, he sold a 355 to buy the sl55 amg, and by the way, I think he had got a point doing that. He's well... getting older and wizer, so the 355 is a little too much rough and on fire for him. He want a well build car, confy, electricly convertible ,low noise and still powerfull. I'm sure he did a good choice.

Now I know everyone of you will shout and tell that the 355 is better looking, it's a ferrari and that the sl55amg is a 'gay' car. giving me the choice, I'll take the 355, but I know if I were in my 50 years I would take the sl55amg, anytime. plus, I'm not sure I would take a 355 for everyday use even now... I think the sl55 is really easier to live with.

SFDMALEX
09-05-2003, 09:25 PM
As he said, he sold a 355 to buy the sl55 amg, and by the way, I think he had got a point doing that. He's well... getting older and wizer, so the 355 is a little too much rough and on fire for him. He want a well build car, confy, electricly convertible ,low noise and still powerfull. I'm sure he did a good choice.

Now I know everyone of you will shout and tell that the 355 is better looking, it's a ferrari and that the sl55amg is a 'gay' car. giving me the choice, I'll take the 355, but I know if I were in my 50 years I would take the sl55amg, anytime. plus, I'm not sure I would take a 355 for everyday use even now... I think the sl55 is really easier to live with.

I paratialy agree. I dont know what Ill be like in 40+ years, but I still would not sell a 355. People will read about 355's, there will be books on them. They are going to be expensive as hell in 40 years(if we'll still have petrol in 40 years). I would not have a 355 or any exotic as my daily driver, but I would not sell one to get luxury. I'd ad a car to my list, but not sell one(like a 355) to get a new one. Just my thought. I hope Ill have the balls to drive a 355 around when I'm 80.

Chingachgook
09-06-2003, 03:22 AM
When I'll be 50 years old I'll still prefere a F355! If he wnats something different after driving all day long supercars, he could buy....a Jaguar S-Type R! It's confy, low noise and even less powerful but it's also more sporty

Imre
09-06-2003, 03:41 AM
At leats today paddel shift a worse than manual gearbox,but padde/s is getting better and better and about 5 years time it`s much quicker than manual,but even then I would choose manual because I like to do it old fashionly.