PDA

View Full Version : breaking news on EB 16/4...

st-anger
09-03-2003, 09:15 AM
i´ve just read that the "VW" supercar the EB16/4 will be limited to CGT`s 205mph top speed due to some serious problems with aerodynamics, engine reliabillity, gearbox problems, and problems with the michelin tyres.
that´s probably the main reason why VW had announced some weeks ago that the 16/4 may be delayed for another year.
changeing the aerodynamics to reach the claimed 252mph would be useless because of tremendous costs. it is also rumoured that it won`t have the 1001hp in the production version......what for??? the CGT runs 205mph with 612hp or a Merc. SLR 211mph with 626hp...
don`t even ask about the price tag after that...

oh boy whats going on with VW... Phaeton, Touareg, 16/4..... all pretty shitty

i think they should stay with developing cars like the Passat, Bora, Golf...

stracing
09-03-2003, 09:42 AM
they might as well close the project...

how much have they invested in it already?

draak666
09-03-2003, 09:51 AM
205mph top speed .... pffff.... sissies

rp
09-03-2003, 10:15 AM
Some time ago, they stated that it would have to be fitted with special tires to reach the top speed anyhow... And seriously, was it ever going to be more than a very expensive PR stunt?

Btw st-anger.. you avatar, is that you going through Brünnchen?

dis3as3d
09-03-2003, 12:15 PM
Oh that pisses me off, all that power and then they put a cap on it. I agree shut the project down, they lost, game over. :cry:

aawil
09-03-2003, 12:18 PM
The top speed was the only gimmick the car really had in my opinion. They would be smart not to bother with building it i can't see people laying that kind of money down when they could buy a lambo for 1/4 the price.

lauriv
09-03-2003, 12:37 PM
I can't remember how much the Veyron weighs, but the tires are a problem on all heavy and fast cars. Tire reliability is the reason why the Merc 65 AMG is limited to 300 kph and why Brabus has chosen to limit its cars to 310 kmh top speed. The tires can take a short burst of speed reliably, but not hours of fast driving that some customers may be possible to enjoy (on autobahn, at night :wink: ). I don't know for sure, but as energy increases at the same rate as the square of speed (e=m*v*v), so probably does the stress on tires. Which would mean that the Veyron doesn't even have to be too heavy to put even the best tires past their limits when driving at top speed...

TT
09-03-2003, 12:38 PM
205 mph ... and more... they are delaying it... uhmm. will it ever hit the road? ;) yes, maybe with a detuned V8 ;) 150 mph, 350 hp :P

st-anger
09-03-2003, 12:39 PM
Btw st-anger.. you avatar, is that you going through Brünnchen?

honestly, wait a bit and we´ll see, maybe i´ll be seen there some time...
believe it or not, the only problem is my wife...

GT-R_R34
09-20-2003, 12:39 AM
so if the car would be limited to 205 mph would the price would still be 1 million?
if so no wonder all SLR were already sold out

Johns
09-20-2003, 01:52 AM
I wouldnt buy that car anyway cus VW is not known for high end exotics so their cars are probly gona end up with problems. plus with all the money its gona cost theres always a ferrari, lambo,....with the same price range and a better name :D

st-anger
09-20-2003, 09:11 AM
latest issue of AMS features an interesting interview with VW boss bernd Pischetsrieder who talks about the EB16/4...

reporter:
"the Bugatti project doesn`t run as planed, can`t you solve the problems with the EB16/4?"
Pischetsrieder:
"right now we`re working intensively in the wind tunnel, to solve the massive requirements on the aerodynamics.
this is all very new to us, but the problems are not unsolvable.
we`ll stay with 1001hp and 252mph, otherwise we needn`t build a the Bugatti."

i´ve asked at Bugatti stand at the IAA and they´ve told me more or less the same, so the rumours some weeks ago seems to be wrong, let´s wait and see...

twboy1999
09-20-2003, 10:28 AM
bugatti is part of vokeswagon?????

Chingachgook
09-20-2003, 11:31 AM
Yes it's part of the VW, and after this failure need a lot of money to build a brand new car that can finally go into probuction, unless, THE END

blah
09-20-2003, 11:37 AM
who doesnt volkswagon own? Dont they have part shares of lambo??

o btw im hate volkswagon, so i love it when they fail, stupid nazi mobiles.

ferrari550
09-20-2003, 12:11 PM
i think the buyers who already put money down on a bugatti are going to pretty pissed after they here that news. some people wanted the car so bad because of the huge power and speed!! but limiting it to 205 mph is not a good idea for bugatti. a 205 mph top speed for their supercar will get blown away by the competition, and i just think that the buyers of this car just wanted the bragging rights of having the fastest car.

oeggermo
09-20-2003, 01:01 PM
I think the trouble with VW strated with their new chairman. the guy has crazy idea that must be produced.

1 The VW Lupo 3L, the guy said he wanted the most economical car in the world. It does 100km with 3 liter fuel.

2 Phaeton, his demand was that if it was -20 degrees outside and he would get into the car with another person, that there shouldn't be condens on the windows, so there are 32 airco air holes in the car.

3 The Veyron project.......

Simply, the guy is nuts.

SFDMALEX
09-20-2003, 01:24 PM
stupid nazi mobiles.

Whata fuck was that about? You seem like a racist fuck to me. All the time you seem to have something against everybody but American.

Johns
09-20-2003, 02:13 PM
i think the buyers who already put money down on a bugatti are going to pretty pissed after they here that news. some people wanted the car so bad because of the huge power and speed!! but limiting it to 205 mph is not a good idea for bugatti. a 205 mph top speed for their supercar will get blown away by the competition, and i just think that the buyers of this car just wanted the bragging rights of having the fastest car.
yeap, pretty fuckin stupid for them to that. Just imagine you in your Bugatti gettin blown away by a $200k(est.) Ruf Turbo!! waste of money :?

blah
09-20-2003, 03:16 PM
stupid nazi mobiles.

Whata fuck was that about? You seem like a racist fuck to me. All the time you seem to have something against everybody but American.

ummm..... you do know the history of VW right? show me one place where i have been racist, how am i talking about a car make me racist??

SFDMALEX
09-20-2003, 04:19 PM
stupid nazi mobiles.

ummm..... you do know the history of VW right? show me one place where i have been racist, how am i talking about a car make me racist??

So everything Italian are facist mobiles also? Hitler is dead, everybody hates him, I dont see the point in calling VW a nazi mobile. Call the beetle a nazi mobile, but what does this VW has to do with nazi's?

blah
09-20-2003, 06:29 PM
VW beetle was the car that hitler himself basically had made. Sorry for not like VW and calling them nazi mobiles cuz of their history.

666fast
09-20-2003, 07:11 PM
cant we all just get along and post...

anyway, this basically means that the 16/4 is crap and the McLaren F1 is still the BEST CAR EVER MADE, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KING OF THE AUTOMOTIVE HILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crazidude
09-21-2003, 02:58 AM
So does that mean that the fastest production car now is the Koenigsegg cc?

blah
09-21-2003, 09:40 AM
no since it cant even get over 205.

GT-R_R34
09-21-2003, 07:55 PM
the Koenigsegg cc is not the fastest is 1 kilometer slower than the Mclaren. in a comercial koenigsegg have a claim speed of 390kph the F1 is 391 wow

Jabba
09-21-2003, 08:16 PM
the Koenigsegg cc is not the fastest is 1 kilometer slower than the Mclaren.

Since when has the Mclaren been back in production then ??

blah
09-21-2003, 11:43 PM
isnt Mercedez gonna revive the McLaren cars?

Vansquish
10-01-2003, 04:12 PM
Mercedes is working with Mclaren on their SLR, but they aren't "reviving" the Mclaren F1, it was a limited production run, brainchild of Gordon Murray, who I would say is at least as fastidious and insane as Herr Pischetschrieder (sp?). The Bugatti Veyron is running behind schedule for a plethora of reasons, and according to Autocar, one of the primary ones is that Pischetschrieder drove a preproduction model and decided that it felt "too much like a racecar" and was unsuitable for most of the customers who were going to want to buy them. As a result, he ordered a rethink, and there will now be a softened version with a lower top speed and more luxo-tuned suspension, and then there will be the all out 252mph version that does 0-300kph in less than 14 seconds. HOWEVER I'm still of the mind that it's just a huge pissing contest gone wrong, and the Mclaren F1 and Enzo are the sort of ubercar that is still honorable. At least they're mostly autonomous companies...Bugatti is really an offshoot of VW at this point, and Lamborghini's getting awfully close to being the same.

Jabba
10-01-2003, 04:29 PM
nicely put 8)

stradale
10-01-2003, 04:53 PM
oeggermo and Vansquish, the megalomaniac you are referring to is not Pischetsrieder, but the old chairman, Piëch.

Vansquish
10-01-2003, 04:56 PM
I stand corrected, thanks Stradale :D

stradale
10-01-2003, 05:03 PM
O well, I guess the name is not even that important. Everyone probably knows who you were talking about, since he's such an amazing ass.

KaBlookie
10-02-2003, 11:00 AM
Mercedes is working with Mclaren on their SLR, but they aren't "reviving" the Mclaren F1, it was a limited production run, brainchild of Gordon Murray, who I would say is at least as fastidious and insane as Herr Pischetschrieder (sp?). The Bugatti Veyron is running behind schedule for a plethora of reasons, and according to Autocar, one of the primary ones is that Pischetschrieder drove a preproduction model and decided that it felt "too much like a racecar" and was unsuitable for most of the customers who were going to want to buy them. As a result, he ordered a rethink, and there will now be a softened version with a lower top speed and more luxo-tuned suspension, and then there will be the all out 252mph version that does 0-300kph in less than 14 seconds. HOWEVER I'm still of the mind that it's just a huge pissing contest gone wrong, and the Mclaren F1 and Enzo are the sort of ubercar that is still honorable. At least they're mostly autonomous companies...Bugatti is really an offshoot of VW at this point, and Lamborghini's getting awfully close to being the same.

very well put man, I couldnt have explained it any better.

Damn, they better put out the all-out 252mph version, or, as mentioned before, it would be kinda useless to be making it. They set out to make a 1000hp, AWD supercar, so they should stick to it and make the damn thing...none of this "it drives too much like a racecar" bull. something that goes 252 mph HAS to drive like a racecar or it'll start flying off the road! Geez, that really annoys me...the whole tuning it down shit. geez

Vansquish
10-02-2003, 01:39 PM
I agree...here's the blurb from Autocar verbatim:

"Bugatti is working on solutions to its Veyron problems (see News, August 26). It will now come in two versions, a 252mph flagship, as well as a more modest 224mph model. Volkswagen boss Bernd Pischetsrieder ordered a rethink after he found the 252mph supercar (below) too nervous and unsuitable for road use."

from Sept. 2, 2003 issue of Autocar

KaBlookie
10-02-2003, 03:53 PM
Volkswagen boss Bernd Pischetsrieder ordered a rethink after he found the 252mph supercar (below) too nervous and unsuitable for road use."

oh poo. what would he mean by "too nervous and unsuitable for road use"? does that mean that the ride is too harsh? performance too unforgiving? (which would be hard to believe since it's AWD) what could they possibly be thinking when they want a 252mph supercar to be civilized? I think they're trying to do too much...they wanna have the best of everything...which wont work...

oeggermo
10-02-2003, 05:55 PM
cant we all just get along and post...

anyway, this basically means that the 16/4 is crap and the McLaren F1 is still the BEST CAR EVER MADE, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KING OF THE AUTOMOTIVE HILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE 110% RIGHT!!! THE MCLAREN F1 IS THE BEST CAR EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

SUPERIEUR IN EVERY WAY!!!!!!!!!

tkach
10-03-2003, 06:11 AM
am i the only person who dosent think the mclaren f1 is the best car ever. i think the veyron could be much better but it seems that sombody had to trow asshole into the mix and jack up the whole project. thats the problems with cars now. to many people who dont know what their doing working on them making them. adding to that to many people who dont know how to drive them. its sad. i paid 1 million dollars for my car and it scares me wah wah. pieces of crap.

callen
10-08-2003, 05:53 PM
audi OWNS lambo. no shares. bugatti will build the 16/4 dont believe PR hype. it will have 987 BHP. it WILL go faster than the projected 245mph of the koenigsegg. Count on it! bugatti will build a car to compete or exceed current supercar specs. VW ownership dont mean shit. bugatti still builds cars, only VW has ultimate input. they own bentey as well and i dont see them slacking whatsoever. expect the 16/4 by 2006 for sure!

KaBlookie
10-08-2003, 10:28 PM
expect the 16/4 by 2006 for sure!

lol that's what we all are hoping for! if they released the car as they ORIGINALLY projected, it would have been on streets (and tracks) Winter of 2001-2002...It was the "PR hype" that got us thinking it was gonna be released at that point, and it's the "PR hype" that's getting us to believe that it's gonna be released in 2006.

callen, not trying to shoot you down or anything, just discusing things 8)

AlienDB7
10-09-2003, 02:02 AM
Veyron delivery

Bugatti is aiming at April 2004 for initial deliveries of its 987-hp, all-wheel-drive Veyron, according to VW’s Bernd Pischetsrieder. That’s about six months ahead of our last report, which put the car’s arrival 12 months away due to reliability questions with the $1.2 million supercar’s W16 engine and seven-speed gearbox. Now we hear the delay is due primarily to the car’s instability at high speeds.

Source: http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=08950681

troskap
10-09-2003, 09:06 PM
Bah... darned useless publicity stunts. Far too much "Look at us! Look at us!", far too little "Look at what we've got!"....

As for the comfort issue, I imagine to us younger people, it's a bit of a bad give-in to practicality. I guess Pieschetrieder's hedging that the predominant group of people buying the car are those that feel a brisk, invigorating drive would exceed the ability of their respirators to keep up with demand :)

callen
10-14-2003, 06:00 PM
np kablokie. i hrd that it was too be released sometime next year as well(approx april as aliendb7 said) but i was just tryin to state that they wont bitch out on the current specs that they have provided(speed bhp etc) cause it would then be deemed a failure since they didnt live up to the bugatti marque of being the ultimate sports car balh blah u know what i mean :o

Fleischmann
12-16-2003, 05:44 PM
Bugatti Veyron limited to 205 mph...ouch...somebody pass me the morphine...

crasherror
12-16-2003, 06:00 PM
I saw it at the historic races this summer and the test driver almost put in to the wall. But the sound of that engine is so awsome. It had a low groan topped off by the wistle of the 4 turbochargers.

crasherror
12-16-2003, 06:02 PM
Oh, i almost forgot the best part about the car It looked STUNNING!! A true marvel of modern design. The paint was a deep chery red with a dark purple black allmost an egg plant color a true beauty.

dylan99
12-16-2003, 10:11 PM
I like this car so much I even dream when I'm awake! The one problem it has is the retractable wing its to big in the first models it just went a few centimeters up that was good and the front tires are 19inch instead of 20inch, if you look at it from close by it's not that appealing just like the 2 holes behind the front tires. I also don't like the the new interior instruments, the first ones were great. But I'm gonna stop complaining because at the end you keep the most powerful and fastest car in the world. The Veyron just screams that you have money - don't know if thats a good thing - but it's also like it's only fit for a king (I can't express myself now). What I am trying to say it is just beautiful. In black and blue!

0-100= 2.9 s
0-200= -7 s
0-300= -14 s
Topspeed= 406 km/h

This is not a car for a racetrack but it's for Riviera, just cruising trough the boulevards. It is like a Riva boat it is chique and luxurious and they both have that roaring sound.

Go to this site and for the premiere of the Bugatti Veyron in Monaco where the prince of Monaco drove the Veyron for a block or two.

www.dreamcars.t2u.com

If you have Fashion tv - don't laugh - everyday there is a topic about cars, now and then you can see the premiere of the veyron and listen to that engine.

crasherror
12-16-2003, 10:15 PM
It would be a shame if this car was only a boulevard cruise. they did not put that much power in it to dawdle along at walking speeds. MHO.

dylan99
12-16-2003, 10:47 PM
ofcourse but the people who buys the Veyron won't drive that fast every time, I'm just telling you what kinda of car this is. This is not an Enzo or McLaren those are cars that are also meant to go fast on a track, the Veyron also but it has more prestige (more weight).

Do you know any other car company that puts diamonds in the cockpit.

It's not the fastest or best supercar yet - it has not been challenged - but soon everybody will know that the Bugatti Veyron is the best supercar yet, I sure doe hope so.

BTW= HMO what does that means

maalox
12-17-2003, 02:41 AM
I read in this month's issue of CAR (I believe it was that at least) that much of the rumoured mechanical/aerodynamics stuff is overblown hype. The two major problems are tires and the last minute changes to the car's steering to reduce the nervous handling (against the will of the lead engineers I might add).

ported_head
12-17-2003, 07:42 AM
so i don't need to pack up my Koenigsegg any more....

dylan99
12-17-2003, 02:03 PM
was the nervous handling only on highspeeds or also on normal driving speeds?
Did Car magazine say more?

dylan99
12-17-2003, 02:08 PM
The Atelier Veyron is very well nearly finished, the first workers have begun assembling the first Veyron´s in Molsheim, as these nightly shots show.
Production will start with 15 employees, which number will gradually climb to a miximum of 50. From May/June 2004, the cars are to leave the Atelier at a rate of one per week.

Meanwhile the 8 prototypes that have been assembled in Wolfsburg, are being tested at the moment in extreme conditions in Sweden and South Africa. Tests were also foreseen in the Alsace region, where Bugatti used to test their creations in between the two wars, but the cars proved to attract too much attention there.

News about the apparent problems with the car, engine, gearbox, tyres are being contradicted by the factory. According to them, the final fiddling concerns mainly the aerodynamics and the weight distribution, to get the car absolutely perfect.

The buyers of a Veyron, after having chosen the color and leather of their car, are welcomed for a week at Molsheim, where a few apartments are being build in the annexes of the Chateau St.Jean. Of course, there will also be quarters for the chauffeur and personnel (will the chauffeur be happy enough to pilot the Veyron also), as well as a library for Bugattistes, as well as an atelier for reparation of the legendary Bugattis that were built in Molseim from 1910 t0 1946.

Drogear
01-22-2004, 01:49 AM
What a shame!

I was at pebble beach when they showed off the prototype! Man, it was breathtaking. I sure hope they make a few even with a tuned down engine!

Drogear
01-22-2004, 01:50 AM
What a shame!

I was at pebble beach when they showed off the prototype! Man, it was breathtaking. I sure hope they make a few even with a tuned down engine!

Drogear
01-22-2004, 01:51 AM
What a shame!

ahmedgiyab
01-22-2004, 04:31 AM
If it would be so easy to built a supercar that can run over 400km/h...Ferrari would

have done it long time ago! :wink:

dylan99
01-22-2004, 02:26 PM
I have read on a official Veyron brochure that it will go 252mph it will go to 100km/h in just or under 3s and to 300km/h in a mere 14s

dylan99
01-23-2004, 07:44 PM
Has knowone in the world seen the car driving? I mean with camouflage. Has nobody been to the premiere of the Bugatti Veyron in Monaco or at the Pebble Beach Concours?

gucom
01-23-2004, 08:23 PM

YES i think most ppl know the history, and what u said wasnt strictly racist, but it was stupid childish generalisation, and BTW hardly any volkswagens were produced during the war. Personally i like the brand alot, its the only "stadard" car i might consider buying in case i dont have the money for a cool car(planning on a porsche 928 as my 1st)

about them owning parts of lambo, they own audi, and if im not mistaken they own lambo, but lambo is under Audi supervision or something :?

sad news if the rumour is true, i wanna c a McLaren F1 or CGT destroy that bratmobile :twisted: :twisted:
nah seriously its a shame, alot of money and engineering expertise went into that project, i hope they'll make it to production (and with the 1001bhp/250mph they promised)

dylan99
01-23-2004, 08:37 PM

YES i think most ppl know the history, and what u said wasnt strictly racist, but it was stupid childish generalisation, and BTW hardly any volkswagens were produced during the war. Personally i like the brand alot, its the only "stadard" car i might consider buying in case i dont have the money for a cool car(planning on a porsche 928 as my 1st)

about them owning parts of lambo, they own audi, and if im not mistaken they own lambo, but lambo is under Audi supervision or something :?

sad news if the rumour is true, i wanna c a McLaren F1 or CGT destroy that bratmobile :twisted: :twisted:

nah seriously its a shame, alot of money and engineering expertise went into that project, i hope they'll make it to production (and with the 1001bhp/250mph they promised)

I've got a brochure of the Veyron from the press site at Bugatti, they have confirmed the 406km/h topspeed and the 0-300km/h acceleration and that it will go from 0 to 100km/h in a mere 3s.

veilsidebr
01-23-2004, 11:00 PM
st-anger i agree with you. A car of this type doesn´t have to be cheap. It has to be the fastest, more reliability....i guess 205 mph is not enough, because we have many cars today that reach this fast. A car with 1001 horsepowers would be so nice, so i guess VW is going in the Wrong way.

So much more with the Phaeton history. I read on a braziliam magazine this week that VW will stop to produce this nice car. Why? It doesn´t sells what they thought it would sells. It´s a mistake. This is a really good car, it sells good because i see numbers on Road and Track magazines and in other magazines too. I guess VW is going in the wrong way with these 2 samples i sad.

:|

SamuraiGti
01-23-2004, 11:11 PM
The Phaeton was built to compete with the 7 series, S class and Audi A8. Alright that is a good looking car and have ta nice engine. But the name that is in the hood says it all. In the segment that they want to sell, names like BMW and Mercedes counts a lot.

dylan99
01-24-2004, 12:02 AM
Isn't nobody reading or what!!! They will not drop the speed, on the latest speedtest that they have done they went 237 miles per hour.

SamuraiGti
01-24-2004, 12:04 AM
What's that speed in khp?! :?

mrzonda
01-24-2004, 12:06 AM
to get from mph to km/h, just multiply by 1.6. 237mph = 379km/h

SamuraiGti
01-24-2004, 12:12 AM
Thanks MrZonda. I didn't know =)

Zonda11
01-24-2004, 01:15 AM
Brutal - The whole point of this car was to be outrageous. 252mph and 1001hp would qualify, but to detune the engine and reduce the top speed to 205mph is ruining the point of the car.

It got attention because of its outrageousness- lets face it - its no Ferrari!

scubywrxr
01-24-2004, 03:05 AM
this car is going to end up just like the XJ220 - a could have been but never was..

dylan99
01-25-2004, 11:09 PM
the topspeed in km/h will be 406km/h the car is meant to be a Ferrari it is a Bugatti the concept of the car is totally different.

McLarenF1God
01-26-2004, 02:39 AM
IN my opinion the Veyron was destined to fail from the start. Anyone that has driven a car can look at that, and say to themselves "That's all show, shame." I don't have anything against VW or Bugatti, but how much money is being BLOWN, literally on this project? And let's pretend for a second it did go into production...the other exoitcs would have their way with it on the track! Man, I really want another EB110...

As far the guy being racist, I think you were refering to the VW Thing, and it really isn't racist anyways. Is it possible to stereotype an inaniment object such as a car SFDMALEX?

dylan99
01-26-2004, 01:33 PM
IN my opinion the Veyron was destined to fail from the start. Anyone that has driven a car can look at that, and say to themselves "That's all show, shame." I don't have anything against VW or Bugatti, but how much money is being BLOWN, literally on this project? And let's pretend for a second it did go into production...the other exoitcs would have their way with it on the track! Man, I really want another EB110...

Does it matter how much money Bugatti spends on the car? All the money is spend usefully. The only matter is if the car will be any good, personally I think the car won't be as good as the F1 or Enzo but I hope it will be as good. I'm going to tell this for the last time, the car will go into production but they haven't sold all 300 Veyron yet and if they don't it won't be a shame or failure - Mclaren only sold 62 cars I think - but it will be better for the owners of the Veyron (more exclusivity like the F1) and too bad for VW/Bugatti.

veilsidebr
01-29-2004, 12:05 PM
I have read about Veyron and the W16 quad turbo engine goes to the hell. It´s durability is few, and they are thinking in do a V12 biturbo engine with 1040 horses, more potent and lighter(the W16 with 4 turbos is just 690 Kg!!!)
so let´s wait

dylan99
01-29-2004, 02:11 PM
690kg for an engine is a lot most carengines weigh about 200-300kg, right?