PDA

View Full Version : Which and why?? VX220 - Elise - WRX STI - EVO 7/8

gat
09-02-2003, 11:42 AM
The reason im asking this question is because these are more than likely the type of cars i will look at as soon as i can get something half decent.

They are all in the same sort of price range, with the acception of the evo which i think is slightly more, but its the arch rival to the sti, so i included it anyway.

Out of the

VX220 Turbo
Elise (Any decent one)
Impretsa STI
Mitsi Evo (7 or 8 )

What one out of the 4 would you go for and why please??
Which ones do you think would be faster in a straight line, and which ones you thin kwould be faster round a track?

I couldnt give a toss about practicality, so dont worry about that..

Im interested to see what people will go for...

666fast
09-02-2003, 01:22 PM
I'm inlcined to go with the Scooby STi simply because it's the only car out of the choices that I have driven. It's a lot of fun and plenty fast. Handles pretty damn good too.
The VX220 Turbo is pretty sweet too. Shame I'll probably never drive one. It looks great though.

SFDMALEX
09-02-2003, 02:02 PM
It depends.

For me its an Elise for Track use and a Scooby for everyday use.

If it's going to be your only car go for the scooby.

TT
09-02-2003, 02:03 PM
All "funny" and entertaining cars... but the VX220 Turbo and the Lancer are not to common compared to the other two candidates. so I'd pick between them.. and well.. IMO a fun car should be a two seater :D -> Vauxhall!

aawil
09-02-2003, 03:01 PM
The only one I've seen in person other than the Evo is the newer styled elise and I loved it in blue metallic. The curves on that car were quite seductive :)

gis
09-02-2003, 05:06 PM
i dunno if its the same down in bournemouth gat,but up here,out of them cars,which really you can split into 2 groups,the vx220 and the elise and another group of the sti and EVO.if its the same as here,i see more of the elise and the WRX/STI,so if it was me and if its the same for u down there,i would choose between the EVO and the vx220 turbo.for everyday use its definately the EVO,which is also a track car.the vx220 IMO is more of a track car than it is an everyday ride.out of them 2,i think the EVO will be faster.i know the vx220 is turbo aswell,but from people i spoke to,you cant beat the fun of AWD + turbo :D

jon_s
09-02-2003, 06:26 PM
On the track I had more fun in the Elise than the Scooby, so probably the VX220 and EVo will be similar. Straight line speed? Humm, I saw 140mph out of both the Elise and Scooby, the real difference is the grip, the scooby and EVo have shit loads of it. But they are tame cars, easy to drive and live with. The steering is really light in the Scooby, also the wheel its self is massive! The Elise, made up for grip in handling. It is quite a handlful, heavy but amazing feed through the steering wheel. I loved the gear box in the Elise. You could really push through the geers.

In all, if you are after a fun car to drive, throwing away any need for shopping, family e.t.c then the Elise or VX220 come up trumps. If you want a quick car that you can scare the entire family in, then the Scooby or EVO is the car for you!

skelter
09-02-2003, 06:54 PM
The Elise, i've never driven it but it seems to be the more agile car, and would take it over those other choices.

novass
09-02-2003, 10:03 PM
for me i would go with either the Evo or the STi. ive ridden in both and they are fairly similar, both are fast as hell. i would go for either one of those because i like having the extra seats. however, if i had another car already i would want the Elise. ive never driven or been in one, but from what i hear, they make great track cars. i dont know much about the Vauxhall either so i cant say much about it.

out of those four your sure to get a nice car. go drive them all and see what you think, if you want AWD or not and whether or not you want a 2 seater or 4 door. let us know what happens, those are some cool cars

f0racer
09-02-2003, 10:23 PM
For me the Evo 8(J spec). Faster around the track, more fun to drive and cheaper that the WRX STI. Plus you have room for four and a real trunk!

Billyjuan
09-02-2003, 10:25 PM
Ok two of my friends have the EVO8 and we call them the EVO8 BUTT BUDDIES because all they talk about is about the cars and how good they are. Both cars are similar in speed and HP but me personaly would go for the STI because i think they new engine has big potential in the long run and i wana shut up my friends too LOL

jakaracman
09-03-2003, 05:53 AM
You need 4 seats? STI.
Just need 2? VX.

Chingachgook
09-05-2003, 04:56 AM
I'll choose.....the Evo VIII!!! it has 4 doors,5seat, a decent boot, it's fast in every condition, it's the perfect daily car!!

The VX 220 is very impressive, it's really alive under you hands but it has only 2 seats, so it's more a weekwnd car. Same thing for the Elise.

The STi is not as good as the EVO VIII, so I'll never choose it (except the Spec C)

In my ideal garage there's a an EVo VIII for daily use and a TVR (T350C or the Tuscan R) or a NSX Type R for pure hardcore driving

SDK2003
09-05-2003, 12:25 PM
I would choose the VX220 T

Purely because I wouldn't need 4 seats

WRX
09-05-2003, 01:29 PM
I would go with the STi but I think I am a little biased.

Imre
09-05-2003, 02:49 PM
Evo 8,because it`s the fastest.

jumpman23
09-16-2003, 04:55 PM
In the U.S I'd go with the STi because of power advantage. But in the totally cool U.K I'd go with EVO VIII FQ300, but its still a tough choice in the U.K. Ahhhh the U.K is soooo lucky......

Flawless
09-16-2003, 05:39 PM
i'd pick the Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG!!!!!!!

my sig says it all.

GT-R_R34
09-17-2003, 12:52 AM
i'll go with the 7

WhiteP
09-17-2003, 04:05 PM
Lotus Elise, if you don't care about practicality, room for more people or trunk space. You have to put the top up everytime when it rains so it does cause some troubles. The most rewarding is probably FUN to drive. Mid engine (like a F1), light weight (F1), convertible (fresh air)....

For being more pratical, I will take the Evo 8 and refine the interior a bit. You want to have some comfy for daily use. Put some leather seats and high quality audio system. It will be a perfect daily car.

I won't take the STI as well, if you watch Best Motoring videos, STI always lose to Evo.

ferrari550
09-17-2003, 04:54 PM
the sti is faster in a straight line i believe, but on a track i would say the evo or the vx220 t. i would choose the vx220 t probably just because you cannot buy them in canada and it would turn alot of heads

gmd97
10-03-2003, 09:19 PM
well the elise is out coz i wouldnt fit, and its a bit basic inside, the vx220 isnt as bad but its out for the same reason. that leaves the 2 awds, and i think id go with the subaru just because its been rated as a better road car in comparisons between the 2, even if it is slower around a track.

chest3r
10-21-2003, 06:11 PM
I'll take the WRX STi. It's the car of my dremas :mrgreen: because of what I've seen at Top Gear, and other shows. The VX220 it's too radical, good for a track

altezza
10-21-2003, 06:18 PM
I would choose the elise for track day use because it is one of the best handling cars out there in the market.
For straight line speed, I think i would choose the Evolution VIII
For daily driving and a balance between interior comfort and speed, I think i would go for the WRX STi

QC
11-01-2003, 04:51 PM
I'd take the Scooby, a neighbour took me out in his V impressive!!!!

cho_888
11-01-2003, 08:32 PM
Elise because it is very sporty handles well (apparently) and looks insane!

hemi_fan
11-02-2003, 12:41 AM
Id go with the EVO VIII, mainly because its an import that actually impressed me. The main thing that got me interested is it was in Motortrend's shootout with Ferrari 360, ZO6 Vette, Porsche 911 Turbo, and some other sweet cars. It also did quite well and it was about half the price of the 2nd cheapest competitor.

RC45
11-03-2003, 01:22 PM
I had a chance to look at an Evo 8 this Friday, and in person it looks a lot better than the STi (subjective of course) - so of the bunch, I would choose the Evo.

I wouldn't go for either of the 2 seaters in the list...

Fluxlo
11-03-2003, 05:44 PM
The Elise and Vauxall make awesome weekend rides, but they score very low when it comes to practicallity for everyday life. For that reason I'd personally take the EVO8, great on gas, very tame (until you floor it and the turbo spools up) and one of the best handling street cars to ever come out of Japan.

scubywrxr
11-03-2003, 06:36 PM
I would take a STI 8 SPEC C in my unbiased and objective opinion :wink:... add an ATD diff package and it would be the ultimate everyday car plus track tool :twisted:

Fleischmann
12-16-2003, 05:13 PM
I'd pick the Elise.
Reason: The Handling

godspeed06
12-16-2003, 05:41 PM
i'd get the elise. the one coming out in the US is going to have 187 hp i think. if you turbo that you will be able to crush just about anything on a track. the evo would probably be my second choice, but the fact that it runs over 30 psi of boost is a little unnerving. i'd definitely take it over the sti.

Reznor
12-16-2003, 06:18 PM
I'm definatly thinking the vx220 turbo, it is light beyond belief, handles well, and accelerates like no other. If you can fit in it, I can't imagine a more fun car to drive.

oscargarza88
12-16-2003, 07:01 PM
ive loved the sti since i saw it, of ocurse i like the rest ut the sti more, anyway watever cau u choose will be lots of fun!

altedza
12-16-2003, 07:23 PM
never been a fan of vauxhall... so no vx220.
elise is really pretty IMO.... so for looks..... here ;]
sti is the only subaru ive ever respected. you cant go too wrong here.... except.... understeer? and shotty interior ;]
the evo 8 has a pretty shotty interior too, but it performs.

dont know a thing about the 7 since im from the states and dont keep up with mistu.

mclaren777
12-20-2003, 06:18 AM
Elise
Lancer EVO VIII
VX220 Turbo
Impreza WRX

levensnevel
12-20-2003, 06:50 AM
It will be the Elise. Motoring brought back to the very essence, without all those electronical and mechanical gadgets. :roll: