PDA

View Full Version : how to get an international driving liscense

SilviaS15Cwest
09-01-2003, 03:12 PM
how do you get an international driving liscence. i saw that drivers in be a grand prix driver needed one to be able to drive at monza and wanted to know how could one go about getting one and where. i will want to drive recreationally at tracks like monza and the nurburgring.

initiala4
09-01-2003, 04:09 PM
Do you mean the international driving permit that allows you to drive anywhere in the world? if so you can get it at AAA.

SilviaS15Cwest
09-01-2003, 05:04 PM
yeah thats what i meant, but whats AAA?

initiala4
09-01-2003, 05:22 PM
AAA = triple A or roadside assistance....mabbe u might wanna chk on the NYSDMV web or AAA site...

draak666
09-01-2003, 05:27 PM
An international driving licence is more important for Europeans going to the US. Most people here understand English, so it's not a problem if you have an American licence. It's the US authorities that are the biggest problem in this matter. They don't speak any other fucking language, so we have to get an international licence if were're planning to drive in the States. :x

By the way, it's not the same as an international racing licence. But you won't be needing that on the ring. Possibly on some other tracks you do.

TT
09-01-2003, 05:30 PM
An international driving licence is more important for Europeans going to the US. Most people here understand English, so it's not a problem if you have an American licence. It's the US authorities that are the biggest problem in this matter. They don't speak any other fucking language, so we have to get an international licence if were're planning to drive in the States. :x

By the way, it's not the same as an international racing licence. But you won't be needing that on the ring. Possibly on some other tracks you do.

You sure? For rented cars is not that way.. usually you can rent a car with a Swiss permit.. I'm almost 100% sure...

But to rent or to drive a privateer car is not the same...

Anyway, another thing I hate.. you have to be 25 years old to drive in US as a foreign with all the fly and drive offers :( (I'm 24!!)

fedezyl
09-01-2003, 05:37 PM
I'm 20 years and 359 days old...so go figure..

draak666
09-01-2003, 05:42 PM
Anyway, another thing I hate.. you have to be 25 years old to drive in US as a foreign with all the fly and drive offers :( (I'm 24!!)

What?? In the US you can drive cars from the age of 16 and foreigners have to be 25 years old??? Anyway a friend of mine went there a year or two ago and he was able to rent a car although he was less than 25 y/o, so I'm not sure about that. You can probably work something out. :?

It was in the news a few weeks ago because people are going on a holiday this time of year. I believe that a European licence allows you to drive in the US, but they advised to get an international license because the authorities won't understand anything on the paper (should you get into contact with the law for any reason).

TT
09-01-2003, 06:23 PM

What?? In the US you can drive cars from the age of 16 and foreigners have to be 25 years old??? Anyway a friend of mine went there a year or two ago and he was able to rent a car although he was less than 25 y/o, so I'm not sure about that. You can probably work something out. :?

It was in the news a few weeks ago because people are going on a holiday this time of year. I believe that a European licence allows you to drive in the US, but they advised to get an international license because the authorities won't understand anything on the paper (should you get into contact with the law for any reason).

Don't know exactly.. but I know I never managed to rent a car outisde Switzerland, because big companies ask for 25 yo or more.. like luxury rental...
Maybe with smaller ones it's possible...

jon_s
09-01-2003, 06:59 PM
My g/f just spent a year in the States, she hired a car......and she is 21. Dunno if it is different for women lol...........oh she took the mirror off the car!!!! :lol: Women! "I was not used a LHD" Hummmmmmm OK then! lol

Yeah, so you can rent a car under 25, errr, but you have to be female! lol. I don't know what she rented, but I doubt it was that big, just a normal family car at most.

Humm, I will have a look into this

jon_s
09-01-2003, 07:04 PM
Right:

http://www.avis.com/AvisWeb/JSP/global/en/rentersguide/policies/us/US_Age.jsp?ORI_Pub=SearchPub&ORI_SESSION_LANG=en&

This seems to be the general trend. 25 is the average age, but younger under special conditions......i.e MORE MONEY probably! Hope this helps!

SFDMALEX
09-01-2003, 10:23 PM
In Canada in many places you have to be at least 25 to rent a car. Even if you got a canadian passport.

altezza
09-01-2003, 11:56 PM
you can rent a car under 25 years old in Canada if you already have insurance coverage under ur name (i.e. u're the principle driver)

SFDMALEX
09-02-2003, 12:07 AM
you can rent a car under 25 years old in Canada if you already have insurance coverage under ur name (i.e. u're the principle driver)

Yes you can, but in some place's you cant. My friend's Jetta broke down, we wanted to rent a car to go to the beach, and they would not rent it to him since he's 19.

Kangaroo Boy
09-02-2003, 02:26 AM
how do you get an international driving liscence. i saw that drivers in be a grand prix driver needed one to be able to drive at monza and wanted to know how could one go about getting one and where. i will want to drive recreationally at tracks like monza and the nurburgring.
Do you want a International Racing Licence?If so,you have to go FIA website. www.FIA.com

SilviaS15Cwest
09-02-2003, 09:17 PM
"Do you want a International Racing Licence?If so,you have to go FIA website." Yeah thats what i meant but the website doesnt have much info i need.