PDA

View Full Version : JAGUAR XJS,IS IT WORTH BUYING AS MY FIRST SPORTS CAR??

Kangaroo Boy
08-31-2003, 10:21 AM
I'm a confused 18 year old,I've Never know what I want as my first sports car,But I think I have found something I like.I've been into British car since I was able to walk,My parents owning MGs,Austins and Morris's, I want to continue the Trend,but with another British Marques.Some reason I like Jaguars.Never been in one,or own one before,I want to know if its worth searching for a 1984 upwards, XJS V12 coupe?How much would it cost for a second hand one?What problems do they have and are parts easy to find?And do these car perform?
http://www.classic-british-cars.com/gallery/gal01297.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/258000-258999/258796_3_full.jpg
http://www.jag-lovers.org/snapsdata/1~980040044.jpg

stracing
08-31-2003, 10:39 AM
just to let you know next time, put your images on a new line so we don't have to scroll side to side.

sorry thats all i have to say...i don't know much about these cars. maybe check out unique cars magazine to find out the price. not sure will others be of help on that regards since prices differ from coutnry to country.

anyways wasn't it you that said you always wanted a holden on RF?

gis
08-31-2003, 10:44 AM
from speakin with u b4 dude,u said u wanted a manual car and u didnt like auto's.from what i have seen of these cars here,they are all auto's the v12.

this engine v12 compared to modern v12 will be slow and i dont think MPG on it will be to great either

Kangaroo Boy
08-31-2003, 10:55 AM
I do like Holdens, Straracing,but there are so many of them,I want something different.That was like 6 months ago,I change my mind.
I have a list of car I want,but some I can't find,or can't get insurance for.But I like the Jaguar.
Here is the list.
Nissan Skyline R32 GTS-t
Holden Commodore Brock Group A SS
Jaguar XJS
Peugeot 205,or 206 Gti
r31 skyline Silouhette
thats it really.

gis
08-31-2003, 11:04 AM
if i was u dude,considering insurance and all,i would go for a 205 or 206 GTI,a well looked after 205 (1.9 litre engine though) would be able to hang with it,on top end,i think the jag is faster,by about 15 mph.but the 206 would beat it for sure,around a track,i think both them peugeot's would walk the old jag

stracing
08-31-2003, 11:12 AM
no problems in being unique. i've only seen about 5 in my life.

are you having trouble finding the right insurance for you?
have you checked out www.meggala.com ?

he's site is useful in finding insurers in australia, some you may never heard of. he's also a nissan nut.

sportVeloce
08-31-2003, 11:25 AM
Kangaroo Boy -> I know the Jag would be nothing but a headache for you. Think of Fuel. It is a V12, and it would obviously chew the juice. I wouldnt like to think of the price for parts. Majorly expensive. I know of a guy that has one locally that put a 350 chev into his, because it was far cheaper than the rebuild of the V12 and it goes heaps harder.

I would recommend that you buy a toyota for your first car! I dont have one, but one thing is if you dont have heaps of money for 1) the purchase, 2) the parts and 3) the fuel, you will be better suited to a nice little four-banger.

On the other hand if you want something that is classy and goes hard then find youself a Lancia beta (coupe) volumex. 136hp standard with 25+hp easily gained through a couple of simple mods. They only weigh 900kgs so you do the math, and you see they go hard. They look awesome too. But again its Italian and built with Ferraris help, so what do you expect?

Anyway, I wouldnt look at a jag for more than 1 second. You will get much more bang for your buck. As for price (Unique Cars) $18,500 (page 152 of latest issue). Best bet for pricing is on http://www.tradingpost.com.au

1zippo1
08-31-2003, 11:27 AM
if i was u dude,considering insurance and all,i would go for a 205 or 206 GTI,a well looked after 205 (1.9 litre engine though) would be able to hang with it,on top end,i think the jag is faster,by about 15 mph.but the 206 would beat it for sure,around a track,i think both them peugeot's would walk the old jag

And don't forget: a 205 or 206 is much more affordable. And I'm not speaking of the cost of buying it, but insurance (18 year old with a V12 :? ), taxes, gas and it will probably be much more reliable.

Don't get me wrong, I love old jags to, but I see them more as a weekend car then an everyday car and I would only buy one if I had an other nice car.

TT
08-31-2003, 11:29 AM
As other, I think it would be bad to start off with such car at 18 years old.. :)

Insurance would be terrible (although you still can insure it under your parents name I suppose...)...

But well, there are some many funny small cars :) .. sure, if you want a british one, the choice is smaller though...

Kangaroo Boy
08-31-2003, 11:30 AM
Its not my first car,yeah,I been told they eat up petrol like there is no tomorrow.
What do you think of Peugeot 206 Gti?Do they go as hard as the lancia Beta?

1zippo1
08-31-2003, 11:38 AM
Its not my first car,yeah,I been told they eat up petrol like there is no tomorrow.
What do you think of Peugeot 206 Gti?Do they go as hard as the lancia Beta?

I'm sorry but I've only heard of the name, I don't know anything about the Beta.

The 206GTi is a nice car. 138hp 1100kg and Peugeot petrol engines are pretty good!! If you really want a fast small car you should go for the Clio RS. But it all depends what you're looking for off course.

here's a nice review about it: http://www.diskdrive.co.za/road_tests/rt2001/peugeot_206.html

TT
08-31-2003, 11:44 AM
I drove the 206 S16 and it's a fast little hatch.. pretty fun..

I friend of mine had a old Beta years ago.. but it is FR, isn't it? In that case, even if maybe a 206 can beat it around a track or in real life, a Beta can maybe be funnier... but also more complicate to entertain...

gis
08-31-2003, 11:45 AM
the lancia will be a lot faster,due to its small weight.900kg is not a lot and with 136hp that will make the car quicker than u think.

they have just released the new 206 called the 180,but unless u are considering buyin a brand new car,then u wont be gettin this one.the old 206 GTI had about 137hp which gave it a 0-60 of low 8's with a top speed in the range of 135mph.so really,the car isnt slow.but compared to the lancia it will be.

jon_s
08-31-2003, 11:48 AM
Have you looked at insurance?? Just looking at your list.....Skyline!! My insurance co. would laugh at me if I turned up with of of them! I need to wait till I am 25 before I can get a 'decent' car. At the moment I am looking at getting an Audi S3, but I have a few years to go so I have no doubt that that will all change lol I was once going to get a Supra, have it as a project car, but after some serious looking into it, the costs were huge!

Anyway, enough about me lol (sorry) I would ring a few insurance co.'s and get some quotes for all the cars on your list, that at the end of the day will be the deciding factor! Obviously if you can afford it, go for it!

TT
08-31-2003, 11:49 AM
Yor sure the Beta will be that fast? We have to consider it is almost 30 years old now... I know, old cars like the Elan can still be LOT of FUN! As for really fast.. not always so sure: old technologies and setups, small tires and so on...

gis
08-31-2003, 11:56 AM
Yor sure the Beta will be that fast? We have to consider it is almost 30 years old now... I know, old cars like the Elan can still be LOT of FUN! As for really fast.. not always so sure: old technologies and setups, small tires and so on...

i think your right there dude,finding one that has actually been WELL looked after will be difficult now,so the performance wont be what it used to be.

jon_s i know what u mean about insurance for young people like us,they wont really touch anyone below the age of 21 now on anythin bigger than a 1.8, a 2 litre pushin it at the most,but then you will nearly payin as much for the insurance as u did for the car,(thats if its a new car) so if its a old car,i dont really find it good payin more for insurance than i paid for the car

sportVeloce
08-31-2003, 11:58 AM
Yeah, they dont go too bad. Only 900kgs, 134hp standard, with an easy bolt on 25 for a new carby. When you start adding extractors etc you can get crazy hp.

An EX F1 mechanic called Guy Croft does heaps and heaps of mods on them. Remember Jabbas Best of TopGear? That Lada built by lotus had a Lancia motor (Fiat 124 and lancia motors are very similar), and the guy that built the motor was guy croft.

But they are expensive to maintain. It was just a fun alternative :D Check out the Top-Gear special on the Lancia Integrale - "Most under-rated car ever, better than the WRX".

Oh by the way, the Lancia Beta VX is 2ltr and supercharged. Hehe, i wonder if anyone would insure that gis?

jon_s
08-31-2003, 12:00 PM
lol yeah, when I first started driving, a good 4 years ago, my dad wanted to give me an old saab 900. Asked for insurance £3000 as a named driver and 3rd party fire and theft e.t.c lol, humm we sold that car!

gis
08-31-2003, 12:07 PM
lol,i can see y u sold it

b4 we had the saxo,for like 2 month my dad had the MK2 golf 16v,i was going to go on that,but when he checked 3rd party fire and theft they wanted £2500,probably would have been a bad idea goin on that car anyway,i more than likely would have killed myself

so now,i got the little saxo and paying about £1300 i think it was on my dads insurance

initiala4
08-31-2003, 12:14 PM
As far as the xjs goes its a classic car, but it eats alot of fuel. Somehow maybe maintenance should be a factor cause its a old car also another thing to consider is the realibility....as I have seen some Jags with realibility problems. Btw nice list on the car choices...Skyline! Another thought about insurance is that when you are young and you tend to drive such a nice car the rates goes up and if you say got a ticket the insurance might sky rocket for you. Goodluck in finding the right car for you! :D

Kangaroo Boy
09-01-2003, 07:50 AM
I can't get the insurance for the Jaguar unless 3rd party, :cry:
There is no way finding any sort of Lancia beta,because they weren't sold in australia.There are only like 10 intergale lancia,all own by Italians.I can get the old r31 skyline and the Peugeot,so really,I'll have to wait for a while before getting a R32 skyline. :cry: