PDA

View Full Version : SMART? or NOT?

mendocino
08-31-2003, 09:28 AM
Hello,

don't worry, it's not a post to increase my own number, I really am interested in your opinion about this car. Now, before everybody ask, I'm talking about the genuine smart (coupe, brabus or cabrio) not the roadsters or coupe roadster, and of course not about the 2+2. Can you give your opinion and mentionned if you live in a city or not (I think that's important)
I know I'll get a lot of negative opinion as I notice here or by my friends, but I just like it... hehe

Personally, I like the principle, I live in a place where it's really difficult to park and a smart would be welcome! futhermore, I travel most of the time less than 10 km and at less than 50 km/H. The smart diesel cdi is quite good and does an incredible 3 liters/100km! taxes are peanuts and insurance like it. it not all sweet and light tough: It's expensive and it's got a crappy gearbox (inverted!!! up forward and down backward and so slowww..)

Now, tell me what you think!

http://smart.com/smart/images/cabrio/galerie/cabrio_galerie_01.jpg

if someone is interested I've got a brochure of every smart, I can make scans of it.

sbbs
08-31-2003, 09:40 AM
I think it's quite a cool car to drive from my house to college everyday, it has the looks but not sure how's it like to drive it on the normal road. What's the top speed of this thing? Coz I only drive 60km/h on the slow lane to save my fuel. I'd like to own it as sson as you said it does 3liters/100km! It really can saves me a lot of pocket money. Plus it is diesel, right? Marvelous!

But the problem is, at my place it's impossible to find the dealer and have to personally import this car. Also because of my government set the high import duties for imported cars, even an A-Class can be very expensive here.

You own one of this?

So what I can do is, keep on dreaming. :) And I'll be very happy if you can post the brochure here :D

gis
08-31-2003, 09:41 AM
now i put it was a cool car,not for the fact that id own one,coz for what they are,they are quite expensive,but,the car is small so for people living in a town or even a small city were parking saloon cars,estate cars etc etc is hard,the smart can fit almost anywere were u could park.if the car was cheaper to buy,im quite positive in saying,a lot of younger lads would have them as first cars seen as insurance and MPG and tax would cost practically nuthin.

mendocino
08-31-2003, 09:43 AM
I'll post a brochure later tonight but I'm afraid it will be french... I'll try to get one in english tough...

TT
08-31-2003, 09:46 AM
I like the idea.. but aftet having drove one, I'd never spend my money on it.. if I'd need a city car, it would be an electric one.. very low gravity center.. good hangling, while the Smart is terrible to drive IMO...

stracing
08-31-2003, 09:48 AM
so far its not really needed here yet coz sydney roads isn't congested as much as london yet and i really don't hope to see many of them. i don't see them as cute like my fiance does. i saw it at an auto show and just had the urge to rock it but i do like the idea of perpendicular parking tho.

sbbs
08-31-2003, 09:49 AM
I like the idea.. but aftet having drove one, I'd never spend my money on it.. if I'd need a city car, it would be an electric one.. very low gravity center.. good hangling, while the Smart is terrible to drive IMO...

How bad is it? A lot of body roll? Too bumpy?

mendocino
08-31-2003, 09:51 AM
IMO it's not bad at all, if you stay on city speed, no exesive roll a bit on the stiff ride side, but the steering is a bit light and this gearbox.... :twisted:

TT
08-31-2003, 09:55 AM
Yeah, not lot of bodyroll, but LOT of understeer in every condition IMO. Obviously, at 40 or 50 km/h you won't notice to much, but when it's wet, it's really a pain.. and we all know the gearbox is one of the slowest around :)

I'll repeat myself: city cars have to use alternative energy... not petrol.. :)

stracing
08-31-2003, 10:03 AM
with such a short wheelbase, its expected to understeer.

mendocino
08-31-2003, 10:06 AM
I'll repeat myself: city cars have to use alternative energy... not petrol.. :)

totally agree, ...... hmm... but they actually don't... so I'll take a smart cdi :D

did you know the layout of a smart is very similar to a prosche?? :D

rear wheel drive, rear motor.

stradale
08-31-2003, 01:04 PM
Personally, I like the principle, I live in a place where it's really difficult to park and a smart would be welcome! futhermore, I travel most of the time less than 10 km and at less than 50 km/H. The smart diesel cdi is quite good and does an incredible 3 liters/100km! taxes are peanuts and insurance like it. it not all sweet and light tough: It's expensive and it's got a crappy gearbox (inverted!!! up forward and down backward and so slowww..)

I agree the principle is good. But it has its downsides as well. Do people who only drive in urban areas never have to move something big? The Smart has virtually no room for anything larger than some groceries. The diesel sounds good at first, but the 3liters/100km figure is probably the most ideal figure measured on long distances at cruising speed. Driving it through the typical urban traffic, which the car was meant for, would probably give different results.

1zippo1
08-31-2003, 01:52 PM
I can respect it's functionallity in large cities but for most people this is not really a functional car. You can only carry 2 people and the storage space is limited. I think more people buy this car because they like it's looks, then for functionallity.

For me: I wouldn't want to spend that kinda money on a car wich performs so badly.

lauriv
08-31-2003, 03:19 PM
I'd say its cool. In tight traffic it's size is a real advantage and it's also inexpensive to run (low petrol & insurance costs). But I'd never buy it as the only car, maybe as a second or third car... And if I had to choose between the Smart and my 11-yr old Scooby, I'll take the latter. A car's got to put a smile on my face... The Scooby can do that, the Smart can't :) And if I'm running out of money to drive it, I'll take my bike or buy a ticket and ride a bus :wink:

AlienDB7
08-31-2003, 04:22 PM
Is it really that bad? I had my eyes on the Smart forfour concept when it was debuted earlier this year.

http://www.cardesignnews.com/news/2003/030429smart-forfour/images/smart-forfour01.jpg
http://www.cardesignnews.com/news/2003/030429smart-forfour/index.html

Smart car always has that furturistic feel to it, at least for us north americans. The only time we can see one is when they're used for shooting a movie or a tv show. So, I think it's a very cool car.

Will I buy one when it's available in 2005 over here? Probably not. It feels a bit dangerous driving such a small car in traffic filled with 2-3 tonnes SUVs. They should get Lotus to work some magic on the car so it becomes an economical alternative for the Elise! It's fairly light already, with a slightly bigger engine, better handling and a proper gearbox, the smart roadster should be a great car!

1zippo1
08-31-2003, 04:37 PM
Indeed, the smart roadster could be a real hit. It has got the looks and the handling. The only thing they should really do is fit a manual gearbox to it. That would drop the price.

Even JC thought it was a fun car to drive, and he's not easy to satisfy.

mendocino
08-31-2003, 04:47 PM
The diesel sounds good at first, but the 3liters/100km figure is probably the most ideal figure measured on long distances at cruising speed. Driving it through the typical urban traffic, which the car was meant for, would probably give different results.

hmm not really:

urban 3.9
mixed 3.4
extra urban 3.1

so it's not thirsty at all. it has some downside but leave the consumption as a good point :wink:

Johns
08-31-2003, 05:18 PM
I think it will be a cool car if u live in a big ass mansion and u can use to drive down ur driveway to pick up ur mail :)

jakaracman
09-01-2003, 03:12 AM
If you need a small car, Smart is fantastic. With petrol turbo engine you get those wastegate sounds when you lift of or change gears, it's practical orund town and cabrio look good. I've drive around in petrol engined cabrio ofr two weeks and it was fun. A feind of mine has taken it from SLovenia to Sicily a few thuosand kilometres - he says it was one of his best travels ...
I'd go for a roadster, though.

possessed_beaver
09-01-2003, 03:59 AM
IMO, i think it's well.. crap
a nice novelty car, but thats where it ends. the only ppl i can see driving it is poof's, and ppl who like been looked at in gay cars... again poofs, lol

u are better off getting some piece of shit excel, it's faster and with all the money u save u could spend it on something else.
until it's in a competive price it's pretty crap car..

well thats my rant, haahahaha

stradale
09-01-2003, 07:40 AM
The diesel sounds good at first, but the 3liters/100km figure is probably the most ideal figure measured on long distances at cruising speed. Driving it through the typical urban traffic, which the car was meant for, would probably give different results.

hmm not really:

urban 3.9
mixed 3.4
extra urban 3.1

so it's not thirsty at all. it has some downside but leave the consumption as a good point :wink:

OK, you've certainly surprised me here. That's not far off 3 litres at all. Now that my brain and wallet like it, all it has to win over are my eyes and ears.

Chingachgook
09-01-2003, 07:52 AM
The original Smart it's a fantastic useless car!2 seats,and 12000 ?!!ah ah! :shock:

The roadster-coupè I think it's a little bit more interesting, it's a little sport car but,on the other hand, with so much money I can buy a Clio RS Light or a 106 Rallye and have money for some mod (air filter,brake pads, Recaro seats...)

The Forfour is interesting because of the original styling, but I don't know if it's worth the money!

Not to mention that the original Smart have handling problem, it's easy ti spin it. Here in Italy a magazine, Quattroruote, wrote the comments of various owners, everyone had a 360°!!!

mendocino
09-01-2003, 12:36 PM
The original Smart it's a fantastic useless car!2 seats,and 12000 ?!!ah ah! :shock:

Will all the respect, I think you're not getting the point of this car... :D

the fact is that I quite never travel with more than a passenger, and even if I had to, I could borrow another car. smart is all about space and parking facilities... in that it is quite awesome. It's expensive for what it is, true. but again such as lambos, ferraris ect. it's all about need, that this car only can suffise.

Billyjuan
09-02-2003, 11:16 PM
I bet the gas milage is really good never seen one tho but i wouldnt mind having one to drive tot he market or school because V8 have alot of HP but they drink gas like no other lol