PDA

View Full Version : The real name of new Ferrari is...

tigersoul
07-05-2004, 07:38 PM
420 Fiorano :wink:

SilviaEvo
07-05-2004, 08:29 PM
i was wondering what it was called heard bout 400,420, and 430?

budagboy2
07-05-2004, 08:45 PM
where did you hear that?

T-Bird
07-05-2004, 08:50 PM
I was under the impression they went and got the rights to 430 already so how would it be 420? Proof please!

chipanggo
07-05-2004, 09:39 PM
it sounds nice, but is this confirmed?

fabro_s
07-06-2004, 02:26 AM
Damn I dont know why Ferraris names just makes me fly!!!!!!!!, they are really sexy names, and they dont try to hard to get them, they just put the name of Italian Cities on the cars, also love the Lambo names, Gallardo, Diablo,Murcielago agressiveeeeeeee names!

Marannelo, Stradale, Scaglietti sexyyyyyyyyy namesssssssssss!!!!!!
:fadein: :fadein:

yg60m
07-06-2004, 02:29 AM
I will wait it to be confirmed :|

X-ale
07-06-2004, 02:41 AM
Damn I dont know why Ferraris names just makes me fly!!!!!!!!, they are really sexy names, and they dont try to hard to get them, they just put the name of Italian Cities on the cars, also love the Lambo names, Gallardo, Diablo,Murcielago agressiveeeeeeee names!

Agressive? Mmmmm... Sexy? Maranallo sounds like a guys name dude. Are you Gay? You should go see a shrink. Maybe a ho will do. Promised :?:

v0od0o
07-06-2004, 03:58 AM
lol @ x-ale
Anyway, it may be worth mentioning while we're at it that Diablo is spanish for "Devil" and Murcielago means a bull that was brave in the ring. Looked up "Gallardo" and found it is spanish for "Striking"

ae86_16v
07-06-2004, 10:13 AM
lol @ x-ale
Anyway, it may be worth mentioning while we're at it that Diablo is spanish for "Devil" and Murcielago means a bull that was brave in the ring. Looked up "Gallardo" and found it is spanish for "Striking"

I thought all Lambos were named after Bulls?

v0od0o
07-06-2004, 10:23 AM
I think only the murcielago is
What I can't understand though is why they use spanish and not italian for their names.....

Jabba
07-06-2004, 10:25 AM

I like Miura, Countach and Diablo...the latest two are not "aggressive" enough for Lamborghini names IMO.

Jabba
07-06-2004, 10:27 AM
I think only the murcielago is
What I can't understand though is why they use spanish and not italian for their names.....

Spain obvisouly has more of a history when it comes to bulls than Italy does.

v0od0o
07-06-2004, 10:48 AM
maybe, but they only used a bull's name once....
I don't think a Lamborghini "Diavolo" would have been better than the Diablo though :lol:

Jabba
07-06-2004, 11:01 AM
First no maybe about it.

Second Mirua is a breed of spanish fighting bulls as is Gallardo with Murcielago thats at least three of their cars I can think of and not one.

v0od0o
07-06-2004, 11:07 AM
Mirua is a breed of spanish fighting bulls.
Thanx, been looking around for the meaning since I posted this actually :D

Jabba
07-06-2004, 11:10 AM
Wait until the Lamborghini hunter arrives...I am sure he will be able to provide us with pictures of the actual bulls the cars were named after...LOL.

Jabba
07-06-2004, 11:12 AM
Ferruccio Lamborghini - born under the zodiac sign of Taurus - when he founded the famous super car company, that since then bears his name, gave to it the symbol of the fighting bull. Later, when the Miura was introduced, he named the car after a famous bull's race, and this practice became a tradition for the House of the Bull. Honouring this tradition, the Management of Automobili Lamborghini have decided to baptize their latest model with the name of a fighting bull's breed: the Gallardo (pron.: ga:yĂ*rdo). Most people probably are not aware that the origins of the fighting bull proceed from five main breeds, that is: Cabrera, Navarra, Vasqueña, Vistahermosa and Gallardo. Today, ninety percent of the fighting bull breeds proceed from Vistahermosa branch, with some exceptions, such as the Miura race - that comes from the Navarro - which is today the only breeding stock that maintains a pure origin. Another exception is the breeding race of "Partido de Resina" - that was called once of "Pablo Romero"-, that comes from the Gallardo race. Historically, these bulls have enjoyed a well-deserved fame of being the most beautiful specimen within the race.

v0od0o
07-06-2004, 11:16 AM
hehehe, he's a taurus, like me :D
Now I know why I like lamborghinis :lol:
Thanx jabba for the info, pretty interesting

tigerx
07-06-2004, 11:18 AM
lol how this a post about ferrari turn into a post about lamborghini so fast???

Jabba
07-06-2004, 11:18 AM
Yep for me as well...I knew some of it but this is very interesting for anyone that thought Martin Brundle had a lisp in his DVD "Brundles Supercars".

Murcielago : The name translates as “bat” in Spanish, and it’s pronounced “mercy-AY-lah-go.” Unless you’re Castillian, that is, where you add a lisp, and it becomes “mirthy-AY-lah-go.”

stradale
07-06-2004, 11:19 AM
^^^ Lamborghini has used names of famous fighting bulls or the names of their races far more than once.
The Miura, for instance, is named after Don Eduardo Miura, who was a famous breeder.
Diablo might also mean devil, but "the name 'Diablo' was in fact taken from a ferocious bull raised by the Duke of Veragua in the 19th century. It fought an epic battle with 'El Chicorro' in Madrid on July 11th 1869, this animal became legendary and its well-known history and its name were aggressive enough to be used for a Lamborghini." (quote from http://www.lambocars.com)
I have been searching for the explanation of the names Islero, Marzal, Espada, Jarama (obviously also the name of a Spanish track) and Urraco, but I lent the book in which it's probably all explained to my father at the moment. My other books on Lamborghini don't give much information. :(

EDIT: Jabba, Murciélago is also the name of a famous and courageous bull. It impressed everyone so much that it was left alive after the fight instead of the usual putting to death.

Jabba
07-06-2004, 11:23 AM
I am sure the Countach is connected to a bull as well but I am still looking for confirmation.

Jabba
07-06-2004, 11:26 AM
EDIT: Jabba, Murciélago is also the name of a famous and courageous bull. It impressed everyone so much that it was left alive after the fight instead of the usual putting to death.

Yep I knew that but not that Brundle was correct in pronouncing the name with a lisp.

stradale
07-06-2004, 11:29 AM
I am sure the Countach is connected to a bull as well but I am still looking for confirmation.

Countach is not linked to bulls in any way. It's Italian slang from the dialect of the Modena region. It's an outcry of amazement and can be used for things of beauty as well as for things that are overpowering. For instance, when a beautiful woman walks by, the men would exclaim: "countach!"

Legend has it that when the body of the Countach protoype rolled out of the painting area in bright yellow one of the employees said: "countach!" and thus the name was born. Whether it is true, no one knows, but it's a great story and still sounds very credible... :D

stradale
07-06-2004, 11:31 AM

Yep I knew that but not that Brundle was correct in pronouncing the name with a lisp.

Oh, OK. Never mind then... :D :wink:

v0od0o
07-06-2004, 11:34 AM
now all we need is to rename the thread :D

Jabba
07-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Glad I didnt stick my neck out too far about the countach....this would have made a good quiz...how many Lamborghins were connected with actual bulls.

Jabba
07-06-2004, 11:35 AM
now all we need is to rename the thread :D

And move it to planet Lamborghini.

stradale
07-06-2004, 11:38 AM
LOL, sounds good. There are already too many threads on the Ferrari 360 successor. I'd be amazed if someone would miss this one after it has been beamed up to planet Lamborghini... :D

v0od0o
07-06-2004, 11:43 AM
I'd be amazed if someone would miss this one after it has been beamed up to planet Lamborghini... :D
yeah but I wouldn't like to do that to the thread author, out of respect.
Jabba can we copy threads ? :lol:

Jabba
07-06-2004, 11:46 AM
A bit messy.

v0od0o
07-06-2004, 11:46 AM
this would have made a good quiz...how many Lamborghins were connected with actual bulls.
Exactly what I was thinking of, maybe we can think of something to the same tune, quizes about car names instead of the usual identify the picture thing

T-Bird
07-06-2004, 02:15 PM
I thought Murcielago meant "bat"

Jabba
07-06-2004, 02:17 PM
It does in Spanish but its also the name of a legendary Italian fighting bull.

v0od0o
07-06-2004, 02:21 PM
hmmm are you sure ? Altavista refuses to translate murcielago and gives the spanish word "palo" for a bat :roll:

Jabba
07-06-2004, 02:29 PM
The name translates as “bat” in Spanish, and it’s pronounced “mercy-AY-lah-go.” Unless you’re Castillian, that is, where you add a lisp, and it becomes “mirthy-AY-lah-go.” And indeed, the new two-seater actually honors the bull of that name which 122 years ago defied the best matador of Barcelona, surviving a score of sword strikes and living to a ripe old age making other brave bulls. Either interpretation is appropriate. A raging bull is the symbol of the Lamborghini brand, but the Murcielago moves like a bat out of hell.

Taken from here :

http://www.bullz-eye.com/carreviews/2002/lamborghini.htm

I get the feeling we have been through all this before.

dropot2
07-06-2004, 03:14 PM
hmmm are you sure ? Altavista refuses to translate murcielago and gives the spanish word "palo" for a bat :roll:

Well, perhaps I can help you in this translation as Spanish is my second language. I confirm that in Spanish, as Jabba has said, "bat" is "murcielago".
"Palo" in spanish means "stick".
________
Ford l-series trucks history (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_L-Series_Trucks)

heyloo
07-06-2004, 10:48 PM
"lol how this a post about ferrari turn into a post about lamborghini so fast???"

I thought the same thing!! :-P I was just about to 'wow' at the new name, and as I scrolled down, I sensed the change of topic to Lambos...lol

Jabba
07-07-2004, 04:31 AM

Well, perhaps I can help you in this translation as Spanish is my second language. I confirm that in Spanish, as Jabba has said, "bat" is "murcielago".
"Palo" in spanish means "stick".

Thanks for the confirmation...much appreciated. 8) 8) 8)

dropot2
07-07-2004, 05:30 AM
Happy to be useful :wink: (I don't think so, but if you need some translation in Catalan I could help you...but I don't believe it'll be needed. I think that dani_d_mas and me are the only rare people who speak this language! LOL)
________
FORD VULCAN ENGINE HISTORY (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Vulcan_engine)

LotusGT1
07-07-2004, 06:05 AM
^^^ Lamborghini has used names of famous fighting bulls or the names of their races far more than once.
The Miura, for instance, is named after Don Eduardo Miura, who was a famous breeder.
Diablo might also mean devil, but "the name 'Diablo' was in fact taken from a ferocious bull raised by the Duke of Veragua in the 19th century. It fought an epic battle with 'El Chicorro' in Madrid on July 11th 1869, this animal became legendary and its well-known history and its name were aggressive enough to be used for a Lamborghini." (quote from http://www.lambocars.com)
I have been searching for the explanation of the names Islero, Marzal, Espada, Jarama (obviously also the name of a Spanish track) and Urraco, but I lent the book in which it's probably all explained to my father at the moment. My other books on Lamborghini don't give much information. :(

Islero

In today’s bull ring, as with gladiators in the ancient Roman Colosseum, the bull has at least a tiny chance to win, survive and live to a very happy old age.

Think back to how the great bullfighter Manolete (Manuel Rodriquez Sanchez) was gored and killed by the bull Islero on August 28, 1947. Islero’s victory and fame – his name yet remembered more than half a century later in the Hispanic world – earned him a life at stud to produce more of Andalusia’s (named for the Vandals who settled southern Spain) fierce Miura bulls.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=6700

Jamara

A new 2+2 took the stand at Geneva in 1970, it was the first Jarama (pronounced Yarama). Named after the Spanish district well known for breeding famous fighting bulls, this car was intended to remind the world that Lamborghini was still present, strong, and fighting like mad in a bullish sort of way.

http://www.blaise27.demon.co.uk/lambo/specs/family/jarama.htm

Espada

The new car, the Espada, named after the sword used by the matador in the famous sport of bull fighting, debuted next to the Islero. Unfortunately for the Islero, the Espada stole the show. It was a bold statement for Lamborghini to enter an untapped market. It was risky at best but that risk paid off. The low-slung four passenger sports car was a great success. It still holds the record of being the most highly produced Lamborghini ever.

http://www.blaise27.demon.co.uk/lambo/specs/family/espada.htm

Urraco

The Lamborghini P250 Urraco (pronounced "oo-RAH-koh"), meaning "little bull," was named for the fighting bull which killed the toreadore Manolete. This car was introduced to the public in 1970 at the Turin auto show, though it wouldn't become available to the public until 1973.

http://www.lamborghiniregistry.com/Urraco/

:silly:

Jabba
07-07-2004, 06:07 AM
Thats interesting information indeed. Any more information on "countach" LotusGT1 ?

adlinyusman
07-07-2004, 10:44 AM
A ferrari thread where we only talked about ferrari for no more then 3 posts.
lol.

besides it's called the 430 Monza.

the fiorano tag is reserved for sports packages offered by the carrozerria. The 575 replacement, which will source it's engine from the 612 Scaglietti powerplant will be known tentatively as the 600 Mugello. My dealer told me this, so i could be wrong, but i have heard a few other dealers mention the same thing.

bmagni
07-07-2004, 03:28 PM
Gallardo, is the second name of a bull breeder

stradale
07-08-2004, 08:12 AM
Thats interesting information indeed. Any more information on "countach" LotusGT1 ?

I think I had that one covered in the previous page... :wink:

Jabba
07-08-2004, 08:18 AM
Yep but I thought you said that it might be only a "legend" that someone shouted out countach when the car was rolled out.

stradale
07-08-2004, 08:33 AM
Oh, I thought you had forgotten that there was no link to bulls with the name Countach. My bad.

It is a legend though. No one knows where the name was thought up for real. Maybe it went like this, maybe it didn't. Other versions of the story say that it was Nuccio Bertone tha exclaimed "Countach" when he saw it, others claim it was what the audience murmured when it was unveiled. The last version seems highly unlikely to me though. The car already had the name Countach on it when it was unveiled and I can't imagine that the whole crowd consisted of people that speak the accent of the Piedmontese region.

garybb
07-08-2004, 08:35 AM
lol how this a post about ferrari turn into a post about lamborghini so fast???

there was a jabbavasion and that was the end of that :P

Jabba
07-08-2004, 08:48 AM
I just go with the flow.

tigersoul
07-11-2004, 08:20 AM
Little edit: 430 Fiorano :wink:

BADMIHAI
07-11-2004, 09:19 AM

Apparently not, but Mihai can come to the rescue. To my knowledge "Countach" means something in the region of "what the fuck?". It is a word used for amazement or when in awe. That's apparently what the people at Automobili Lamborghini said when they saw the (now named) Countach. It can also mean "cunt".

LotusGT1
07-11-2004, 09:23 AM
"Countach" is an Italian word simply meaning "Wow ! Look at this !".

TT
07-11-2004, 09:40 AM
No idea how "countach" was born, but I can assure there is nothing in italian that comes close to such word!

LotusGT1
07-11-2004, 10:03 AM
You might want to brush up your italian then...;)

Countach' comes from the local Piedmontese dialect,with no literal translation, but the drift is as stated above...

TT
07-11-2004, 10:12 AM
LOL ok, but dialects are not really "italian" ;) I mean, in most italian dialects there are words that are completely different than the italian ones. Some of them are really like foreign language and most other italian ppl won't even understand them :D

scottjua
07-13-2004, 01:38 PM
I guess that means a 4.2 liter.... hmmm I wonder how the Maser's engine will do in the new mid-engine ferrari

Caps8419
07-13-2004, 03:44 PM
LOL ok, but dialects are not really "italian" ;) I mean, in most italian dialects there are words that are completely different than the italian ones. Some of them are really like foreign language and most other italian ppl won't even understand them :D

hehe, look up "snail" in italian and find out how to say it in sicilian.... perfect example.

noliebro
07-15-2004, 06:02 PM
I don't think they should change the name, it is basically a newer version of the modena , why not call it the 420 Modena :?: