PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to see in the 07 Cobra?

blah
07-03-2004, 04:21 AM
What would you like to see in the 07 Cobra

Personally id like to see ford get that Cammer certified up and ready to go, and not supercharge it at all, but all motor. So that way its all built up beefy motor and then buyers can mod the shit out of it with aftermarket parts. Id also like to see a nice handling cobra, with the GT concept hood. and of course those sexy pirrelis but on Black Bullit tires, also the GT Concept Side scoops would look good too. and mabe with the words in a racing strip style way like in the old GT-350/500s the words Cobra. and instead of the horse upfront, id like the cobra upfront on the grille. Ive seen alot of cobras with that mod and they look alot better. also a the GT concept foglamp posistioning too. Thats all i really want from it. O yea and 450 horses sounds about right for what it would need.

hanes
07-03-2004, 07:23 AM
I'd like to see at least 5.4 Liters, like the cobra R.

I Just hope it doesn't get over priced to the point most can't afford it!

T-Bird
07-03-2004, 12:47 PM
no it has to be the supercharged engine maybe the 500hp SC Cammer motor they had at SEMA the supercharger has to be there to have that amazing whinning sound side pipes wouldn't hurt either the side stripe with the name has been turned into the V6 trademark so you can spot one from a mile away so they can't put it on the Cobra they need to put the cobra symbol on the far right of the front grill like the shelby's used to have and the Foglights in the front grill like the old ones aswell since it looks a million times better with the lights there. The Brembo's on the racing concept wouldn't hurt either. not too much flash. Remember you can't do too much Shelby stuff on the Cobra since rumors have it he will be making his own versions of the Mustang again

tigerx
07-03-2004, 12:53 PM
something other then live axle. the engine should make minimum of 300bhp and 300 lbs-ft for the cheapest option.

T-Bird
07-03-2004, 12:57 PM
well the Cobra has an independant rear in it right now so I doubt they will change that and the new Mustang GT will have 300hp so that wouldn't go over too well with cobra buyers would it and the last version available now has 390 in the Cobra so expect over 400hp for the new one.

RC45
07-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Lose weight... lose lot's of weight.

goose93
07-03-2004, 01:55 PM
Weight loss
Better handling
A modern engine design
Normally aspirated
A little more interior quality
Test the Car - get it right the first time without having to recall it and stop production.

-Ford engineers & designers to remember that drag racing is not the only motorsport in the world. Some of us use corners for more that getting back in line at the strip.

RC45
07-03-2004, 01:58 PM
Weight loss
Better handling
A modern engine design
Normally aspirated
A little more interior quality
Test the Car - get it right the first time without having to recall it and stop production.

-Ford engineers & designers to remember that drag racing is not the only motorsport in the world. Some of us use corners for more that getting back in line at the strip.

Your list is ok right up until the "modern engine design"? WTF was that about? :roll: If the engines Ford producers are good enough to win world racing series and go into super exotics - I am guessing their engines are already plenty modern enough...

nthfinity
07-03-2004, 08:15 PM
regarding the new mustang

the chassis is severely more riged then what the engineers ever imagined... both a blessing, and a curse while in develpment.

blessing in better handling charactaristics... curse in joints became over stressed, and plastic bending occurred. this issue has been delt with quite well, thankfully. but means slightly more mass, and a compromise in layout. unfortunately, i dont have much more info directly relating to that right now.

the 07 Cobra is likely to handle corners much better then the SN 95 ever dreamed, due to its more rigid structure, and better weight distrabution.

there will be optional motors for the first time on the 07 cobra

supercharged 4.6 DOHC est 400-430 hp

N/A 5.0 'camer' DOHC est 450-500 hp

one of the big ideas at ford right now is costomization to the individual, rather then a great heap of masses. this is similar to the costomization of the original mustang, where even gears were optioned out.

i dont suspect a 5.4 liter DOHC variant in the mustang in the forseable future.

let us pray the rear multi-link is more then just a bolt on cheese from the previous. to early to tell

id like to see further development of the T56 transmission for added reliability of specifically 3rd gear.

option to not have an electronic governer :wink:

wider tires, anybody?

side pipes standard :-D

tigerx
07-03-2004, 09:15 PM
side pipes standard

OOOOOOOO i like that, i like that a lot :D :D :D :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

the car definately need to lose lotsa weight too as RC45 pointed out. i'm thinking bout' an elise's weight would be good :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

T-Bird
07-03-2004, 09:50 PM
the engine weighs as much as elise does :mrgreen:

blah
07-04-2004, 01:10 AM
i dont know if id like sidepipes. I think that BORLAS should be standard though! i like that ford has gone with pirellis signifing they are moving into a new class level with the mustang. Id like to see a cleaer looking cobra interior. I like that idea of a engine choice. Also dont worry about the cobra bieng expensive, i think the most you could see a cobra for is maybe a few grand more than it is right now. because ford DEFINATELY does not want to get into a class battle with the corvette. Thats just not a good business move at this time. The corvette is Americas Sports car, the mustang should stay as americas fun car. But the Cammer would sound beasty in the cobra.

mit5005
07-04-2004, 03:02 PM
IMO they should use the cammer for the 07 Cobra w/o any forced induction. I know they can get at least 450 hp out of that motor. I have seen it in the RS8 Focus. And you know what would also be awesome, if when they made the new GT500, that they would bring back the SE motors again like the 428 SCJ or even the 427. OMG that would be amazing!

nthfinity
07-05-2004, 12:47 AM
IMO they should use the cammer for the 07 Cobra w/o any forced induction. I know they can get at least 450 hp out of that motor. I have seen it in the RS8 Focus. And you know what would also be awesome, if when they made the new GT500, that they would bring back the SE motors again like the 428 SCJ or even the 427. OMG that would be amazing!

the 427 CID already exists as a one-off that SVT did as a V10 Boss mustang... very fast 'stang, however, it is just a one-off engine (for now)--- (Ford Shelby anybody?)

tigerx
07-05-2004, 02:15 AM
oh man i forgot the most important thing, QUALITY, they should built a QUALITY car, something that doesn't break down fast. you know to break that "belief" that american car are crap, and also higher MPG is good too.

nthfinity
07-06-2004, 12:16 AM
oh man i forgot the most important thing, QUALITY, they should built a QUALITY car, something that doesn't break down fast. you know to break that "belief" that american car are crap, and also higher MPG is good too.

Ford has done an exceptional job of raising the quality bar with the mustang in a non-liniar fassion since the onset of the SN 95 Fox. the 40th aniversary is by far the best mustang ever based on reliability and quality processes.

the Flat Rock assembly plant, which builds the Mazda 6 is now producing the all new Mustang for 05. if you have ever seen the DAP (dearborne assebly plant) and had a good chance to compare it to the Flat Rock facility, the difference is like night and day, both in assembly capability, and quality.

that beeing said, new models always have some problems which are worked to show in the next MY, and often can be changed within an assembly run.

if quality of the new mustang is going to be similar to the new F series pickup... i think we are in good store for a treat :)

FoxFour
07-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Well, seeing that the Cobra is going to be more expensive than the '04 Cobra was, let's see a semi automatic gearbox that I have been hearing about. A supercharged engine will be great still. Lot's of tweaking can be done with a supercharged engine when the aftermarket figures out the programming of the Black Oak computer. Maybe a full Brembo brake setup would be nice.

hemi_fan
07-07-2004, 01:26 PM
I hope to god they dont put an SMG in it... as for reliability, the 4.6L engine and the original 5.0L are amazingly reliable (i can vouch for the 5.0) those engines are bulletproof in stock form. The 4.6 had a little trouble handling the supercharger at first, but Ford's reliablility in the engine department for their V8s is awesome. Maybe not their electrical equipment (my stang has broken pdl, and one broken power window motor :( ) I bet they hit at least 420hp with the new one. I wish they'd bring back the 427 as a V8 rather than a V10, just has more appeal that way IMO.

blah
07-09-2004, 05:07 PM
I highly doubt you will see a production stang with the Boss 427 in it, I read that edition of Motor Trend, i believe its less than a 3 second 0-60. Also about the sMg, i houbt ford doesnt make it standard. mustang, and vette should always be stick. I think the quality will be fine, look at the tires alone. Pirelli PZerros, some of the sexiest tires on earth. Also i think the cobra should not be Supercharged, id like a turbo set up in there but i doubt it will happen. also the new cobra wont be much more expensive than the 04.

T-Bird
07-09-2004, 05:28 PM
A turbo in the Cobra would be stupid either a big ass high hp N/A engine or the SC engine but not a Turbo engine they haven't had that since the fucking 4 cylinder mustangs and Thunderbirds in the 80's.

nthfinity
07-09-2004, 06:38 PM
^^^^^^^
people often do costom turbo jobs, but traditionally speaking (besides the GSX) american muscle cars have been either supercharged, or N/A with the easiest, and lightest methods possible. and a supercharger is one of the esiest bolt ons any car can get. i dont see any factory turbo jobs ever

Boss 427 in it, I read that edition of Motor Trend, i believe its less than a 3 second 0-60

4.4 seconds due to inadiquate rear tire contact patch (275's) the car was smoking the tires extrordinarily easily with to so much torque/hp on tap at a broad range of revs.

the same engine (bored and stroked) was placed in the Ford Shelby Concept at 2004 NAIAS, makeing at least 604 hp (Fords SVT dyno is accurate to 600hp, so it may actually yeild more power)

T-Bird
07-09-2004, 07:06 PM
^^^^^^^
people often do costom turbo jobs, but traditionally speaking (besides the GSX) american muscle cars have been either supercharged, or N/A with the easiest, and lightest methods possible. and a supercharger is one of the esiest bolt ons any car can get. i dont see any factory turbo jobs ever

They did have factory turbo jobs from Ford in the 80's. From 1979-1982 They had the Mustang Turbo Cobra with a 2.3L turbocharged I-4 engine and there were only 7,000 produced. They also used the engine in the Thunderbird TC (Turbo Coupe) they weren't very impressive enigines in stock form. And the Grand National and Turbo Trans-Am were also turbocharged so there were more than just the GSX and I'm sure I forgot a few. but with the V8's Ford is producing now Supercharging is more than adeguate and WAY more reliable than Turbocharging (less easy to blow up)

nthfinity
07-10-2004, 03:44 AM
They did have factory turbo jobs from Ford in the 80's. From 1979-1982 They had the Mustang Turbo Cobra with a 2.3L turbocharged I-4 engine and there were only 7,000 produced. They also used the engine in the Thunderbird TC (Turbo Coupe) they weren't very impressive enigines in stock form. And the Grand National and Turbo Trans-Am were also turbocharged so there were more than just the GSX and I'm sure I forgot a few. but with the V8's Ford is producing now Supercharging is more than adeguate and WAY more reliable than Turbocharging (less easy to blow up)

in all my life, i never concidered the turbo job mustang a muscle car. and i was equally unimpressed with the turbo t-bird (although, if sales had retained high numbers going in the end of 2003, a turbo charged v8 t-bird would be on the streets this year)

the series I 3800 v6 in the grand national, buick GSX, and Trans am pace car is something else altogether, and all american at the same time.

you may disagree, but in the american way, 1500$ later, ill meet you down the dragstrip :wink:

blah
07-13-2004, 02:44 PM
reason i want a Turbo Stang, is because ive seen so many vids of the turbo stang just putting up huge numbers. the mustang v8s respond so well to the Turbo its not even funny.

67MUSTANG
07-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Hey T-bird,
Technology has come far enough with turbo's to really get rid of any question of reliability. Either way would be just as efficient. I've attached a clip an 8 sec. Turbo Mustang here in Las Vegas.
Sean :)
http://www.lvracingscene.com/videos/stream/01-24-04_Troy_8.86.wmv

TopGearNL
07-13-2004, 04:13 PM
How about the original engine, work perfect the first time, give it an upgrade :)

hanes
07-13-2004, 05:22 PM
N/A For me baby.. stick that 5.8 or 5.4 in it!!!!!! then let the MODS begin!!

T-Bird
07-13-2004, 08:02 PM
How about the original engine, work perfect the first time, give it an upgrade :)

Are you talking about the engine from the original mustang, the inline 6?

blah
07-14-2004, 02:11 AM
not just any I6 though, a very good I6 at that. Id like to see ford bump up their displacement in their engines, but that wont happen, its not really neaded. But they could use a new truck engine.

T-Bird
07-14-2004, 06:10 PM
I have one of those I6's from 1965 in my garage and they aren't that great you know they didn't suck but they didn't impress either.

blah
07-17-2004, 04:47 AM
for their time they were very good. they arent BMW I6 but for what they were, they did well.