PDA

View Full Version : Carrera GT - opinions

bobafett
06-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Saw Noel Li's car this weekend. Honestly, i thought it looked like a boxster from the front. His color scheme was bad (red over this dark dark brown interior), and the shifter is a bit odd. The interior is so-so, and that engine cover looks like plastic. The rear end looks cool.

I then saw a silver one @ PA Concourse later (because of the concourse, many hot cars were on the road - my favorite was of course the 250 GT California (SWB)) - better in silver/black, but same problem. Silver hides the silly rear grill problem (much like black does on the rear of the murcies).

David Wong, one of Noel's employee's (who tools around in all of his 50+ cars), told me that driving the car is a fucking bitch. He said that the clutch is literally an on/off switch with no progressive feel (4 plate carbon clutch, he said), and that overall the car was not as "sorted out" as they had thought.

Once Noel is done with his show stuff, I will have a chance to drive it. Until then, I can only go by what people say.

--Dan

oscargarza88
06-28-2004, 02:47 PM
well i havent seen it in person but it doesnt look like it looks like u say, but i cant say anything... i havent seen it, so ill just have to wait and start putting money into my account :wink:

yg60m
06-28-2004, 03:18 PM
Looks good for me but i never saw one close to, so i can't say anything on finish/quality.
For the roadholding, i think st-anger won't be agree with Noel's employees :wink:

st-anger
06-28-2004, 05:12 PM
i think st-anger won't be agree with Noel's employees :wink:

lol...not even close, btw, boba, are you sure we´re talking about one and the same car :lol:

Toronto
06-28-2004, 05:23 PM
ya the car to me looks good upclose

PATo355
06-28-2004, 05:46 PM
I saw the red one here in chile and its pretty impressive , i think the silver cover of the engine looks pretty good , and the rear end might be the best part , of course i havent driven it , just saw it

bobafett
06-28-2004, 06:02 PM
St-Anger: like I said, I haven't driven it, only going by what the guy who does drive it said. There's also a language barrier (he's from Singapore), but his overall feeling was not so great.

Definetly Carrera GT...not sure how you confuse it? (Well, beyond that it looks like a boxster in the front).

--Dan

TT
06-28-2004, 06:35 PM
IMO the CGT is one of the most desirable cars available today! Look rocks and the sound is amazing! of course I never driven one :D but despite the clutch most reviews gives him BIG thumbs up :D

BTW Dan, really, you should take you camera with you when you are out to see such cars!

he7lius
06-28-2004, 08:06 PM
I been close to one at the British motor show and IMO it rocks.
:D

chipanggo
06-28-2004, 10:20 PM
i haven't seen one in person and i don't think i'll ever see one in person here in my country. when i travel to europe or the us, maybe i'll get to see one (fat chance).

anyway, based on videos and magazine articles, i must say this car looks great. the great thing about it is that it still retains the essence of how a porsche should look like. what has amazed me is that it is basically still a design variation of the old 911's of yore. and yet they have come up with a beautiful supercar oozing with sex appeal.

bobafett
06-28-2004, 11:23 PM
TT: I am lazy. Plus I don't really enjoy taking pictures so much... I think you would have a field day if you came and stayed with me for a while, though. JW won't be able to handle so many pictures! :)

BTW, JC is coming out here... did you ever meet up with him?

--Dan

SPAD
06-29-2004, 12:38 PM
I think the GT is a crazy car.I have heard alot of people complain about its clutch and how it is so hard to drive fast on track. from wat i have read it is like an f40 only made by porshe.

abbor
06-29-2004, 05:46 PM
What excactly is your job bobafett...?

bobafett
06-29-2004, 06:37 PM
Spad: I think an F40 might be a bit harder to drive. The CGT is supposedly pretty user-friendly other than the clutch.

Actually, that would be an interesting comparison on track: F40 vs. CGT in the hands of capable drivers.

Abbor: job?? I am "quasi-retired" for the time being.

--Dan

HeilSvenska
06-29-2004, 11:01 PM
Prettier than Enzo.

fabro_s
06-30-2004, 01:51 AM
Well I have seen one here in a private collection in Monterrey, I can tell its a piece of art, and by the way, I think its one of the best Porsches ever made, and a truly exotique, this car is now in history.... :P

dingo
06-30-2004, 02:19 AM
What did you do before you became 'quasi-retired'? Must have been something big if you can buy an 550 when your 22yo. :D

DMbaseball1604
06-30-2004, 02:59 AM
I have seen one in person..and it looks and sounds amazing..much much better than the Enzo IMO...and its a Porsche so for me that makes it the greatest car on the road!

bobafett
06-30-2004, 04:22 AM
What qualifies this as making th ehistory books? I'd say absolutely zero unless Porsche plans on taking it racing.

History? Talk 917K, 956, 962....those are porsches that made history. The 2.7RS at Targa Florio beating cars with 2x the power. That's history.

Dingo: it's a long story. BTW, 550 was at 21. Hopefully the F40 will be before i turn 23.

--Dan

dingo
06-30-2004, 04:53 AM
^ I have the time to listen :D :lol:

mindgam3
06-30-2004, 04:03 PM
Seen it at the motorshow, definately looks stunning from all angles, although the front is a bit too much like a 911. Engine sound is just so addictive from all the videos and reviews i've read and from a fair few magazines its been faster or just as fast as an enzo round a track. Many say its a bit of a handful when pushing it, but then again so is almost every race car, they're not designed to go sideways, they're designed to go straight. If i had the money to buy any current production car, id take a GT :D

redbaron
06-30-2004, 05:53 PM
I've seen the car at Goodwood and I like it, especially the sound :P That sound would let me forget that clutch and all those other criticism you have, that sound is just that beautiful....

ahmedgiyab
06-30-2004, 05:58 PM
The CGT is an excellent car.....but I would rather get an SLR.... :wink:

5.7 V10
07-01-2004, 01:51 AM
Hence my Screen name 8)

Great car, it's my 2nd favorite car. It looks great(Basalt Black :D ). Timless beauitful styling. it has a great interior that has all the features all i want.. Radio, power window, AC.. It has a great engine, a V10! Instead of the good 'ol V12. You get a 600bhp V10 that revvs up to 8,400 rpm. According to Car and Driver and other magazines it is brutally fast. C & D got a 3.5 0-60 and a 6.8 0-100. Overall, great car. Would be my second choice for a supercar, after the Zonda.

mayer
07-06-2004, 11:08 AM
I've heard so many complaints about the clutch, but I think after a few weeks, the owners would get used to it. The CGT is the first car I'd get if I was Bill Gates.

mindgam3
07-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Agreed I think it would jus take a while to get used to it. The only complaints that have been made are when setting off in first gear, im sure the old saying practice makes perfect is quite relative here ;) After your underway though apparently the gearbox/clutch combo is super smooth and one of the best available

c0wb0y007
07-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Technicly; It's probably the best car ever built

crayzayjay
08-21-2004, 02:17 PM
I saw one up-close and it looked pretty spectacular. Better than an Enzo, which ive also seen in the flesh.

mclaren_Gt
09-13-2004, 12:46 AM
the best porsche in the history

sameerrao
09-13-2004, 01:25 AM
I loved it. I saw it in the flesh just this weekend. It looked awesome in black. Jay Leno pooh-poohed comments on the clutch being finicky. He said just push it with no throttle release slowly and go ... that's it.

Personally it is the best looking hyper car in production - (The F1 is my all-time fav). The Enzo looks ugly cool to me - there are parts I really love and really hate. The SLR looks too generic for me.

I think the interior is nice as well. I think you must seen one with an odd color combo. See a car with a black or silver exterior with red or silver interior.

And I dont think it looks like a boxster unless from far away... the lights are quite different.

Bobafett, I was in California two weekends ago and was driving along my old haunts - 280, 35, 92 and 1. I saw a silver CGT pass me on 35 about 10 miles north of Alice's. He was going pretty slowly so I couldnt hear it from far away. By the time my stupid digital camera switched on the car disappeared. You must know whose car this is ... Right?

BTW I saw 2 F40s last weekend in Dallas - one was a F40 protoype and the other was a production F40 (from Georgia) - 1991 I think ... don't remember now. I know you are looking for a 1992.

See this link http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16784&highlight=

zmydust823
09-13-2004, 03:00 AM
yea i heard about the clutch too, i think jeremy clarkson(top gear) said somethign about it in the road test on it...but what was crazy too me was when the Stig (track driver) drove it. the amount of times he had to restart..he spun out like 10 times they said...i thought it was a joke but it must be a hard car to drive when u are really giving it all u can give it ....