PDA

View Full Version : Saleen.... how much downforce?

amanthapar
06-27-2004, 04:06 PM
hey guys...

i saw on msn Tv.. that the saleen has enuf downforce going at 165mph to go upside down... isnt that really like not true?

want ur comments..

i saying this becaue the max downforce enzo produces is about 950 kg, compared to its weight of 1395kg...

SFDMALEX
06-27-2004, 04:19 PM
This is an old argument. THere is a thread somewere on this forum. Make a search. I say its not possible.

yg60m
06-27-2004, 04:45 PM
Yes, already seen something similar too here :wink:

Vansquish
06-27-2004, 11:46 PM
It's possible...just because the car doesn't look like it can produce the same kind of downforce the Enzo can, that doesnt' mean it can't. Underbody aerodynamics play an enormous role in the that, and I wouldn't be surprised if it produces as much if not more than it's own weight in downforce at 165mph. If so, then it could certainly run upside-down at that speed.

Toronto
06-28-2004, 02:29 AM
alot of cars can do this (sticking to the road upside down) the problem is building a road that can do this, the switch has to be so fast (instantly) for it to work, so it would be very hard to prove so in the real world.

nthfinity
06-28-2004, 12:56 PM
alot of cars can do this (sticking to the road upside down) the problem is building a road that can do this, the switch has to be so fast (instantly) for it to work, so it would be very hard to prove so in the real world.

not at all, it could be as gradual as you wanted it to be. you would just have to be steering crazy to do it tho.

also, prudicing 50 pounds up vs 50 pounds wanting to fall means it would have no real control, since it has near 0 friction with the surface.

it would be safer to go faster then the minimum speed nessisary for net weight vs. downforce

Vansquish
06-28-2004, 03:22 PM
You're right nthfinity, you can certainly have a road with a gradual switch to inverted, as once the car is producing enough downforce to outweigh the weight of the actual vehicle, then you could most certainly drive upside-down. The problem, as you said is that in order for the vehicle to be controllable, the amount of downforce must actually be significantly more than the weight of the vehicle at rest, whereas at the threshold, where the two forces would be equal and opposite, in essence you'd have "neutral bouyancy" and the car would not really be in touch with anything. My guess is that with the Saleen, you'd probably need to be going something in the neighborhood of 190-210mph in order to maintain contact with the surface of an inverted road and also be controllable.

mit5005
07-05-2004, 03:54 PM
Well I know the Enzo only produces about 1709 lb of downforce at 185 mph, and the Saleen produces about its bodyweight at 160 mph. I am not sure how much the S7 weighs exactly, but if those figures are right, the Saleen's downforce is way more than the Enzo's.

racer_f50
07-05-2004, 09:36 PM
Well I know the Enzo only produces about 1709 lb of downforce at 185 mph, and the Saleen produces about its bodyweight at 160 mph. I am not sure how much the S7 weighs exactly, but if those figures are right, the Saleen's downforce is way more than the Enzo's.

the new 2004 version of the S7 weighs about 2750 lbs according to fast-autos.net
so ya, thats insane downforce :shock:

SilviaEvo
07-05-2004, 10:02 PM
2750 lbs

wow that is A LOT of downforce

RC45
07-06-2004, 12:07 AM
What reputable journos have done a full road test of the S7?

nthfinity
07-06-2004, 12:10 AM

Road and Track, Car and Driver... those are the only two i have anyway :wink:

RC45
07-06-2004, 12:14 AM

LOL - I said reputable.. ;) :lol:

Vansquish
07-06-2004, 09:24 AM
I can't remember but I seem to recall reading a little blurb about the S7 in either CAR or Autocar magazine, but whichever it was, it was not a full, instrumented road test unfortunately.

mit5005
07-06-2004, 04:27 PM

LOL - I said reputable.. ;) :lol:

You don't think Road and Track or Car and Driver are reputable? I always thought they were.

nthfinity
07-06-2004, 10:59 PM
You don't think Road and Track or Car and Driver are reputable? I always thought they were

i generally buy R+T for pretty pictures myself; they just cant compare with Evo, and TG, etc.

i would say that i think Motor trend does a fine job. and C+D has the most reliable accelleration numbers of the us mags