PDA

View Full Version : BMW Z4 2.2i (new engine choice for Z4)

altezza
08-28-2003, 07:05 PM
Media information:
BMW’s latest addition to its roadster pedigree, the Z4, becomes even more desirable and affordable with the arrival of a new 2.2-litre variant. Production of the third Z4 roadster starts in October 2003, with prices set at £24,255 on-the road.

A straight-six, 2.2-litre engine lies under the bonnet, powering the Z4 2.2i from rest to 62 mph in 7.7 seconds and on to a top speed of 140 mph. The engine delivers maximum power of 170 bhp with 210 Nm torque available at 3,500 rpm.

As with the 2.5-litre Z4, a manual five speed gearbox comes as standard with the option of a five speed automatic priced at £1,350. The automatic gearbox includes BMW’s Steptronic system with manual shift; drivers simply pull back the lever to change up and push forwards to down shift.

The Z4 2.2i comes highly specified with air-conditioning, single CD player and Sports steering wheel as standard. Electric Power Steering (EPS) is an electro-mechanical system, which made its debut in both 2.5i and 3.0i Z4 launch models. Steering feel and feedback levels are controlled by software which provides a precise steering damper effect, optimising the driving experience whatever the road surface.

On top of the dynamic appeal of a genuine sports car, the Z4 2.2i is impressively economical. Fuel consumption on the combined cycle is 32.1 mpg with CO2 emissions at 214 g/km, placing it in the 28 per cent band for company car tax.

Safety is of primary concern on all BMWs and occupant protection is assured thanks to the Z4’s ASE (Advanced Safety Electronics) system. This features a control module linked to satellite sensors located in the left and right B pillars, which detect the nature of any impact and activate relevant airbags should they be required. The module also deactivates the fuel pump and alternator as well as breaking the safety terminal on the battery, reducing the risk of fire.

Standard 16" Cross Spoke alloy wheels on the Z4 2.2i are fitted with Run-flat tyres – a feature common to all wheel and tyre options across the Z4 range. Driven carefully at 50 mph, the car can travel for up to 90 miles with one or more punctured tyres, signalling the end of road side wheel changes or the wait for breakdown assistance, and removing the unnecessary weight of a spare wheel.

Down pour

The BMW Z4 holds a world record. It has the fastest retracting electric roof on the market. At the push of a button, it glides into its lowered position in less than 10 seconds, or if the British weather turns sour, back up again.

Getting around

Either Business or Professional navigation systems are available as Z4 options. The Business system is integrated into the dashboard facia, while the Professional system features an 8.8 inch (22.5 cm) monitor which rises from the dashboard – the screen doubling as a television where specified. All navigation systems for new BMW cars now include a DVD disc which provides quick access to detailed maps covering the whole of Europe.

Move quickly

Buyers should act quickly if they want a Z4 roadster for next summer. Waiting lists for the launch models already stretch into May 2004 and registrations to date reflect the strength of demand. Just two months after its 19 June launch, a total of 2,320 of the 2.5 and 3.0-litre variants left BMW showrooms around the UK.

http://www.uploadit.org/files/280803-33991bmw-.jpg

maalox
08-28-2003, 08:42 PM
The next hairdresser's/poseur's special is born. Still, I'm sure that six is as sweet as any that comes from BMW, and its numbers are similar to the old BMW 2.5s of around 5 years ago. Probably a smart addition to the lineup given the price the Z4 retails at.

fireguy
08-29-2003, 05:32 PM
why??........this just devalues the other Z4's on the market and pushes the z4 into "chick car" territory.

maalox
08-29-2003, 10:40 PM
True, it definitely devalues the car. But BMW is thinking in terms of volume--and selling a car seen as overpriced to many (given that it's probably still second rung to the aging Boxster) is not going to get them that. As an enthusiast, I think it's a dumb addition to a sportscar.

1zippo1
08-30-2003, 07:05 AM
The previous Z4 had even much lighter engines. I think it was a 115hp one. But I don't think it's such a bad move from BMW. Sales will probably double. My oppinion about the car will drop a bit because it will probably very common in the streets, so it loses it's exclusivity but BMW will make much money out such a nice roadster.

draak666
08-30-2003, 07:12 AM
Let's be honest. The 2.2 litre engine isn't too bad. Sure, the car will be less exclusive, but that's how it goes. The 1.8 in the z3, now that was terrible. 0-100 in over 10 sec... that was a posers car.