PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Compression

Zonda11
06-17-2004, 08:02 PM
I need to compress a 724MB file to 700MB....I have found games before that have been compressed a huge amount and I need to know how they do this.....any help would be appreciated.

RC45
06-17-2004, 08:06 PM
Compressed file size is related to the type of data being compressed.

If it is an mpeg, then it is already compressed and you may not get very much more compression.

Feeding the video file though a compressing codec will reduce file size, but not just a simple zipper applicaiton.

Zonda11
06-17-2004, 08:08 PM
Compressed file size is related to the type of data being compressed.

If it is an mpeg, then it is already compressed and you may not get very much more compression.

Feeding the video file though a compressing codec will reduce file size, but not just a simple zipper applicaiton. Ok...so most other files are a bit easier to compress...but I would only drop a few MB by compressing an AVI?

Erez
06-17-2004, 08:12 PM
yeah.. cause the codecing is actually a compressing..

No.1
06-18-2004, 06:23 AM
Or, with winrar/winace make an archive and split it in multiple parts.

....That's what i do :wink:

That's the best way... split it with the Wizard.... i only learnt this a while back :lol:

Zonda11
06-19-2004, 11:49 AM

That's the best way... split it with the Wizard.... i only learnt this a while back :lol: Sounds good.....I'm getting a dvd burner in a month...can't wait.

No.1
06-19-2004, 02:45 PM

That's the best way... split it with the Wizard.... i only learnt this a while back :lol: Sounds good.....I'm getting a dvd burner in a month...can't wait.

i think i might too... they have come down to just £50 for an 8x... but for £60 you can get a better burner at 8x that can handle all media (+/-R etc) :D

saadie
06-19-2004, 08:11 PM
first compress it to ace then zip then rar this the the higest compression i've ever seen ... and yeah use the wizard and use highest compression .. 8)