PDA

View Full Version : MP3 player or MiniDisc?

spyd3rr
06-13-2004, 10:45 PM
Ok i'm trying to decide on whether to get a MP3 player or Minidisc player before i head off to college. minidisc players didn't really hit it off in the US, but it seems like its bigger than MP3 players everywhere else in the world.

Here's my breakdown of the pros and cons:

MP3: Pros - the flash memory based ones are really small and have pretty long battery life. The HDD based ones have massive space for storage and can be used to transfer files from one computer to another.

Cons - cost/megabyte is high for flash and it seems like HDD based MP3 players like the ipod have battery problems.

Minidisc: Pros - I used to have one and it was cool, but the problem was that it recorded in real time. Now with the NetMD that problem is gone, and they seem to be able to hold 4-5 hrs of music on one disc. and the discs look sooo cool!! And with the HiMD discs coming out....*drool*

Cons - not too sure about anti-skip... are they joggable? and also i'd probably waste too much money collecting the discs.

Any opinions/experiences/recommendations?

8oost0ne
06-13-2004, 11:22 PM
The mini disk does not skip. I snowboard with mine all of the time and have not had any skipping or problems. I love it but the only drawback is that the disks can cost alot depending on where you get them. The good thing is that you can have unlimited storage of files and you can reuse the disks.

T-Bird
06-13-2004, 11:27 PM
Well i have both and the Minidisc's are really good when it comes to anti-skip and the NetMD really is a nice feature. only problem is the amount of discs you may end up carrying around. I have a Network walkman and the thing is great especially how small it is, the battery life isn't very bad on it and yes the downside is the price of Memory sticks since the one you get with it is only good for about 2 cd's. So i would go with the Minidisc player just because they look really cool like you said and you can fit a lot of music on one disc now.

oscargarza88
06-13-2004, 11:33 PM
well i have the 20GB ipod and i cant say i have any bat. problems, it lasts about a day
of course not always on, but i would defenetly rather have a mp3 player than a mimidisk cause its more common or at least in the us ans mexico, and u dont have to take nothing carriing with u like the minidisks, so i guess its worth paying the price for an ipod or a mp3 player, but i have never used an minidisk player so i dont know... i guess its more of a personal desition...

PATo355
06-13-2004, 11:40 PM
Mp3 player with hardrive , get a Ipod it rocks !

Sachmo12345
06-14-2004, 12:20 AM
IPOD you will not regret it will make you much happier than any minidisc

stracing
06-14-2004, 02:28 AM
i have both
i like the mp3 player. i have a panasonic mp3 player. its excellent, its smaller than a matchbox and weeks go by before a recharge. price wasn't a concern for me so i got it.

but the main reason why i got was i catch the train to work and whatever i take with me has to be the smallest.

cho_888
06-14-2004, 03:49 AM
get an ipod, mni discs have limitations with quality and capacity. I have one and a movo drive, but you should get an ipod because they are rel quality