PDA

View Full Version : What is ford thinking? New 2005 mustang options.

graywolf624
06-04-2004, 12:46 AM
Option list for the 2005 mustang:
http://www.2005fordmustang.com/2005fordmustang.com_order_guide.pdf

Besides all the stupid crap theyve done with this car already in terms of suspension.. Now look closely at the options..
I present for your sadness:
spinners.
235x55 r17 tires.
looks packages..

*shakes head and walks away*

T-Bird
06-04-2004, 01:22 AM
wow you don't know what spinners are do you?
they aren't what people put on Escalades and shit they are the center hubs you find on old sports cars like the Shelby Cobra and Ford GT40's etc... look at page 4 they don't actually spin when the wheels stop moving.

graywolf624
06-04-2004, 01:24 AM
wow you don't know what spinners are do you?

Actually I realized that two seconds ago.. regardless its such a waste.. Albeit overreaction on that one.. The other issues are still valid.. They are so screwing up this car.

Whats with the tire choice?
Lets build a live rear axle mcpherson strut car in 2005..

Im not a classic car buff.. Im a racer.. My grand father has a model t.. I havent even bothered to ride in it.. My father had a 46 chevy pickup.. I wouldnt touch it.. No one in my family owned a 60s or 70s muscle car and you dont have people describing wheels when your touring car shows.

graywolf624
06-04-2004, 01:26 AM
Marketing Strategy Key Points:
• 2005 marks a new era of America's Muscle Car – Ford Mustang
• The all-new, from-the-ground-up, 2005 Mustang continues to target both performance
enthusiasts and image seekers
• V6 buyers continue to get an exciting offering with the V6 Sport Appearance Package. This
package aimed straight at image seekers, includes a rear spoiler and lower body performance
tape stripe with Mustang logo
• For those customers interested in dressing up the interior of their Mustang, the Interior Upgradeand Interior Color Accent Packages are available
• Mustang also continues to offer audio options that place Mustang at the forefront of technologyand performance. These include:
 Shaker 500 Audio System offered on Deluxe and Premium configurations
 Shaker 1000 Audio System (918) offered on Premium configurations
• New optional driver and passenger seat side-mounted air bags provide side impact head
protection and rollover protection
Recommended
• For those customers interested in dressing up the exterior of their Mustang, the oversized wheel wells and outrageous ride height has been shown to accomodate up to a 24 inch wheel with a 185 series tire mounted on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

24 inch wheels.. wtf? I guess you have to accomodate idiots.
image seekers?

image packages?
*shakes head some more*

T-Bird
06-04-2004, 01:33 AM
where do you find that BS about the 24" wheels? can't seem to find that one on there...

you have to realize that most people buy a Mustang (V6 usually) for the image that's what they mean I'm sure.
Image packages? you Mean Appearance packages such as those stupid ass stripes along the door sill height that have the prancing horse and stuff like that for those nieve enough to buy the V6 notice that shit isn't available on the GT's

graywolf624
06-04-2004, 01:42 AM
where do you find that BS about the 24" wheels? can't seem to find that one on there...

They must have revised it later in the day. prolly put up an updated version or something. I saw it earlier today and I stole the quoted text from this thread(post by Lewis tanner) rather then take the time to load the damn thing yet again.. Slow computers suck:

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?s=c90943aba32d4c163003a78454aedfbb&threadid=16965&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Interesting to see they removed that.

As for the v6 and image.. Im sorry but that still disgusts me.. I guess it should be whether its ford that should disgust me.. or the buyers themselves.

T-Bird
06-04-2004, 01:51 AM
that whole thread is confusing they are saying that 235/55R17 is a 27" wheel? what is that? Are you sure that the PDF had that on it or did you just read what he said? because they don't change those things that quickly I'm sure of it and why would Ford put that in a Final draft. I call BS on that last part and then they start saying that stuff about too large of a tire and just in case you want those huge ass wheels they definitely added that last part themselves.

graywolf624
06-04-2004, 01:57 AM
that whole thread is confusing they are saying that 235/55R17 is a 27" wheel? what is that? Are you sure that the PDF had that on it or did you just read what he said? because they don't change those things that quickly I'm sure of it and why would Ford put that in a Final draft. I call BS on that last part and then they start saying that stuff about too large of a tire and just in case you want those huge ass wheels they definitely added that last part themselves.

Theres a couple discussions going on there. There saying the standard tire is a 235x55 r17 which is a really poor decision in terms of tires. Especially in the effects on gearing.. They hypothesized that maybe this was done so gearing would not need to be modified to go up to an 18 with a decent size sidewall. That is certainly believable. I'd suggest you watch that thread. Sooner or later a ford enginner will hop in there and give some information. We have 4 of them as members.

The revision before may not have been final.. remember this isnt a ford site.. I literally saw that piece about 24" wheels. Basically it said it was made to accomodate up to that size.

Corner-carvers also has a extremely good rep for not making things up and requiring the tech be brought.

T-Bird
06-04-2004, 02:03 AM
You do realize that most every Ford has large tires on them my T-bird has quite large tires on 15" wheels stock and I use larger SVT rims and tires in the summer and they look very similar in size when placed near eachother sadly I don't have tires on the 17's but Ford has pretty much always done that.

graywolf624
06-04-2004, 02:08 AM
You do realize that most every Ford has large tires on them my T-bird has quite large tires on 15" wheels stock and I use larger SVT rims and tires in the summer and they look very similar in size when placed near eachother sadly I don't have tires on the 17's but Ford has pretty much always done that.

I don't know if thats true.. But that is stupid. That is horrible for performance. Realize the tbird wasnt a performance car. The mustang is supposed to be fords performance car.. Not like they have any others (ignoring mazda and aston.. Notice I didnt mention jag or volvo.).

When I look for performance I look for no compromise.... Ford doesnt sell such a car.. So I havent owned one since my taurus..
The tires on my mazda 6 are not big.. The stock tires werent that big on my camaro either. 235 55 is a really large diameter tire for a performance car.

Corner-carvers started life as a mustang board.. So dont let the mustang bashing full you.. most of these guys are the ones open tracking mustangs.

T-Bird
06-04-2004, 02:12 AM
they really don't hurt the cars performance atleast on my car only the turning is hindered a little but not that bad. Our old Windstar had the same size tires as the Thunderbird actually and so does the Taurus. some of the Focus wheels have some large tires on them.

graywolf624
06-04-2004, 02:14 AM
they really don't hurt the cars performance atleast on my car only the turning is hindered a little but not that bad. Our old Windstar had the same size tires as the Thunderbird actually and so does the Taurus. some of the Focus wheels have some large tires on them.

Uh yeah it does hurt performance.. Significantly..
Handling is seriously screwed up when you have larger sidewalls. sidewall stiffness is a function of material and sidewall height.. Considering I think drag racing is boring you can guess what I care about.

On a side note.. you keep saying on your tbird..
A tbird isnt a performance car either.. Its a bullevard cruiser.. The mustang doesnt have the build quality for that nor the reputation.

graywolf624
06-04-2004, 02:18 AM
Thats a 27.35" diameter tire..235*.55*2/25 +17

Thats pretty damn tall for a 235 mm wide tire.

By comparison my camaros street tires are a full inch smaller in diameter.

T-Bird
06-04-2004, 02:24 AM
actually I run with the Mustangs and the Camaros it doesn't take that much to keep up with them you know. I don't have the weak ass V6. There are some fast ass Thunderbird Drag Cars out there aswell. and yes steering is very important and I seem to be able to handle everything the local roads can throw at me without any trouble and they aren't all straight shots, but the large tires do help on the straight shots if they have good grip.

graywolf624
06-04-2004, 02:32 AM
actually I run with the Mustangs and the Camaros it doesn't take that much to keep up with them you know. I don't have the weak ass V6. There are some fast ass Thunderbird Drag Cars out there aswell. and yes steering is very important and I seem to be able to handle everything the local roads can throw at me without any trouble and they aren't all straight shots, but the large tires do help on the straight shots if they have good grip.

Still off on what I mean by handling.. Take that car to the track just once and youll see what I mean.. A guy with the right size tires.. even with the same material will run circles around that car if you have the same skill.
Corner-carvers isnt about straight line.. neither am I.. I couldnt care less if the car ran an 8 second quarter.. if it cant go around a corner as good as the other cars in its price range then forget it.. With those tires the mustang is at a serious disadvantage in that field. Theres really no reason for them to hamstring the car with such a poor tire choice other then the bean counters.

I never said the tbird cant be modified. We are talking stock it isnt a performance car. Its a touring car.. I can show you impressive pinto drag cars.. That doesnt make the stock car a performance car, regardless of how much the conversion costs.

graywolf624
06-04-2004, 02:41 AM
And that large tire size.. 27".. Does effect straight line performance too. Remember that the size of the tire influences the acceleration through rotational ineritia.
wheel Torque=IA
I= m*r^2
Where I is inertia.. A is acceleration..
Torque is the torque on the wheels from the drive shafts.
Torque is set with the engines given performance
mass is the mass of the wheel..
so.. what happens when that diameter increases.. A must decrease.. Decreased acceleration.

So that larger tire wheel combo is also going to hamper that cars acceleration.

On a side note.. weren't most of the "spinners" from the 60s dealing with centerlocking lug nuts?

Vansquish
06-12-2004, 04:19 AM
That of course is the layman's expression for Inertia of a solid disk...you'll find that the actual number is quite a bit different, probably somewhere closer to a combination of a smaller disk and a large-diameter ring. The rest of the argument is just about spot on though...and this is one of the reasons that fitting large aftermarket wheels is not only stupid, but dangerous. The rolling inertia is so much higher than the stock wheels that it is significantly harder for the car to start moving, and once moving, their much greater rotational momentum is much, much harder to stop, which means that braking is severely indered as well. Stick to the stock rims or some combination of parts that matches the stock wheel's diameter and you *should* be ok.

graywolf624
06-12-2004, 09:38 PM
That of course is the layman's expression for Inertia of a solid disk...you'll find that the actual number is quite a bit different, probably somewhere closer to a combination of a smaller disk and a large-diameter ring

Of course.. I*alpha is extrapulated out based on weight distribution. Im not a mechanical engineer so dont ask me to write it out.. I just know how to apply the tech.. lol.