PDA

View Full Version : XLR-V spy pics

JiggaStyles09
06-02-2004, 02:28 AM
from thecarconnection.com

GM's Performance Division was busy this week and we caught yet another future V-Series Cadillac. This time we photographed the 400-horsepower XLR-V, powered by a supercharged 4.6-liter Northstar V-8.

Besides the supercharged engine and other performance-related features, the V-Series XLR also sports a unique hood, ten-spoke wheels, and high-performance tires.

The XLR V-Series is expected for the 2006 model year, or possibly as an early 2007-model offering.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/8030_image.jpg

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/8031_image.jpg

racer_f50
06-02-2004, 02:30 AM
ooh, very nice :D
i love the XLR, but have always felt it was a bit weak, and now they've fixed that 8)

JiggaStyles09
06-02-2004, 02:36 AM
yea i suppose its going up against the SL55s of the world, but i think it would need more than 400hp to stand a chance.

nthfinity
06-02-2004, 03:53 AM
looks good from the first angle, and i havent seen it from the second angle before... that truly looks... disgusting.

being said, beyond its superficially artificial inflated and bloated beyond the normally obtusely priced XLR... i dont doubt this will be quite quick :)

yg60m
06-02-2004, 04:03 AM
Sound good, i love the XLR even if the proto was better :D

schnell318
06-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Oh no...and they said BangleĀ“s designs looked like shit :roll:

blah
06-02-2004, 12:34 PM
whats this gonna run 100 grand? i think its way overpriced, id rather have the SL any day.

spyd3rr
06-02-2004, 01:26 PM
are the rim supposed to be that color, or is that brake dust? :D

i'm trying to make my silver rims grey from dust. seems to look better on a white car

T-Bird
06-02-2004, 01:34 PM
I highly doubt this one. This would never sell, the people who would buy this aren't that stupid they would walk over to the Chevy lot and pick up a Vette or even better (still cheaper) a Z06.

coombsie66
06-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Another big fat ugly caddy. :roll: :wink:

SL55 AMG
06-02-2004, 02:34 PM
doesnt look to aggresive in my opinion and as someone already stated, for the price of this thing id rather have a SL or Maserati any day

DanielW
06-02-2004, 02:46 PM
haha, with the base xlr costing over 70 grand. how much is this POS gonna cost. :roll:
at least the CTS-V is trying to compete by being less money than the competition.

SilverPhoenix
06-02-2004, 08:59 PM
haha, with the base xlr costing over 70 grand. how much is this POS gonna cost. :roll:
at least the CTS-V is trying to compete by being less money than the competition.

70G's but it competes with the 85K MB, it is still a more affordable luxury sports coupe, that offers as much as it does.

cooperluke
06-02-2004, 09:02 PM
It's one of the uggliest things I've seen recently....

vv1s34ss
06-02-2004, 09:07 PM
Well, it wouldn't be as bad if it didn't have those black wheels....

hemi_fan
06-02-2004, 09:25 PM
WOW, caddilac is going all-out trying to retain their image as a high-end car manufacturer. I thought they'd be doing it from more of a luxury standpoint, but I guess they are going WAY, WAY back to their roots, when they put V16s in their huge cruisers and had the most powerful cars around. Im excited about it for one.

666fast
06-02-2004, 09:56 PM
It looks pretty good IMO. But for that kind of money, no way.

RC45
06-02-2004, 10:50 PM

70G's but it competes with the 85K MB, it is still a more affordable luxury sports coupe, that offers as much as it does.

Nope - this is a dead-duck.

The XLR is a piece of crap in stock form. And for $80,000 you can pick up an off-lease 2003 SL500 with 5,000 miles and have a car that is MUCH better than the XLR in every way possible.

After having spent 18 hours in a friends '03 SL500 which we picked up in Florida - for the money - the XLR is not even in the same zip code.

If the XLR cost $60,000 then it would MAYBE have the edge as a great priced car... but even with the XLR-V option, it will fall so far short it is not funny.

JiggaStyles09
06-02-2004, 10:50 PM
i actually like the XLR that is out now and i dont know why everyone thinks its so expensive and shitty, its like 75000 i think but that is pretty much optioned out whereas the merc starts at 85000 i think and thats without certain features that the caddy has like the adaptive cruise control. the XLR is also a better performer than the merc and weighs like 400 lbs less. not sure about handling but i think they are pretty even. As for this new XLR-V whether it will be able to compete with the SL55 AMG remains to be seen, it sure as hell wont with 400hp but cadillac probably knows that and will up the power accordingly. IMO its a very good car (the XLR) and is a very good rival to the SL500. And this V model is an expected evolution.

RC45
06-02-2004, 10:52 PM
i actually like the XLR that is out now and i dont know why everyone thinks its so expensive and shitty, its like 75000 i think but that is pretty much optioned out whereas the merc starts at 85000 i think and thats without certain features that the caddy has like the adaptive cruise control. the XLR is also a better performer than the merc and weighs like 400 lbs less. not sure about handling but i think they are pretty even. As for this new XLR-V whether it will be able to compete with the SL55 AMG remains to be seen, it sure as hell wont with 400hp but cadillac probably knows that and will up the power accordingly. IMO its a very good car (the XLR) and is a very good rival to the SL500. And this V model is an expected evolution.

Adaptive cruise control and heads-up display does not make up for the shit that the XLR is.

It is slow, handles like a pig and costs the same as the SL500 - which is the THE long distance cruiser - period.

Every XLR should be crushed as it comes off the production line.

JiggaStyles09
06-02-2004, 11:07 PM
Adaptive cruise control and heads-up display does not make up for the shit that the XLR is.

It is slow, handles like a pig and costs the same as the SL500 - which is the THE long distance cruiser - period.

what is it about the XLR that is so bad. i do understand the the merc is the car to beat in this segment and as i have never been in one i have no basis for comparison but, the XLR is faster than the SL500 so the merc is slow as well, and it is like 10 grand less unless you get the preowned thing but we are talking new cars here. i really dont know about the handling but i mean it is on a vette chassis so it cant be that bad i am not saying that the SL500 sucks, not by any means its a great car. however i do think that the XLR is a decent rival. please tell me what it is that makes the XLR a piece of garbage in your opinion, other than the fact that its a GM product.

peacenriot69
06-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Im gonna pull a phrase out of top gear to describe this car

RANCID PORK CHOP !

RC45
06-03-2004, 01:52 AM

what is it about the XLR that is so bad. i do understand the the merc is the car to beat in this segment and as i have never been in one i have no basis for comparison but, the XLR is faster than the SL500 so the merc is slow as well, and it is like 10 grand less unless you get the preowned thing but we are talking new cars here. i really dont know about the handling but i mean it is on a vette chassis so it cant be that bad i am not saying that the SL500 sucks, not by any means its a great car. however i do think that the XLR is a decent rival. please tell me what it is that makes the XLR a piece of garbage in your opinion, other than the fact that its a GM product.

Driven both.

If the XLR is what $75,000 + tax is supposed to "feel" like... (that is the ENTIRE experience... not just 1 aspect) then SL500 feels like $200,000

JiggaStyles09
06-03-2004, 08:30 AM
so is it that the XLR is that bad, or the SL500 is just that good........or both? i suppose the XLR just looks good on paper but as i have driven neither, specs are all i have to go by.

peacenriot69
06-03-2004, 09:07 AM
I personally have never found the benz to be athestically pleasing but in comparison to the xlr it is miss universe. its kinda like when there is one ok looking chick in the whole bar full of ugly pigs, She looks like a beauty queen.

RC45
06-03-2004, 02:57 PM
so is it that the XLR is that bad, or the SL500 is just that good........or both? i suppose the XLR just looks good on paper but as i have driven neither, specs are all i have to go by.

A little of both.

The XLR misses the mark. It is not that bad of a design - it is just the thought and effort in the Benz that really drives home what a great car it is.

The effort and finish and attention to detail on the stitching on the dash is as good as the finish of the mechanics of the top mechanism.

The XLR on the other hand, just has that "assembled in a hurry" feel.

And the inside is a little tacky and not as refined.

Perhaps the problem is that the XLR is built alongside the Corvette - and they have never managed to master quality control at the Bowling Green facility to the point where the cars they make are show-worthy out of the box.

Vansquish
06-03-2004, 05:57 PM

The XLR is not a good competitor for the SL...it is overpriced, and underpowered. The Northstar V8 produces a measly 320bhp and when one of my friends drove one, he couldn't even get the rear end to break loose. It has immense grip, but the handling needs work in order to be competitive with the SL while also being compliant. The car has serious build-quality problems, the seatbelt on the driver's side of the car that my friend drove was actually encased in one of the interior trim panels...if that isn't a build-quality issue, I don't know what is, and it wasn't even a pre-production prototype...

Mercedes may be getting some flak in the press for poorer build quality of late, but that has more to do with the materials they used than how they're screwed together, so I think that for your extra 10 grand you might as well get the SL, as it's a more well rounded, attractive, stylish (I think the XLR looks like a smushed CTS/Deville mix), and better-performing car.

SilverPhoenix
06-03-2004, 06:13 PM

The XLR is not a good competitor for the SL...it is overpriced, and underpowered. The Northstar V8 produces a measly 320bhp and when one of my friends drove one, he couldn't even get the rear end to break loose. It has immense grip, but the handling needs work in order to be competitive with the SL while also being compliant. The car has serious build-quality problems, the seatbelt on the driver's side of the car that my friend drove was actually encased in one of the interior trim panels...if that isn't a build-quality issue, I don't know what is, and it wasn't even a pre-production prototype...

Mercedes may be getting some flak in the press for poorer build quality of late, but that has more to do with the materials they used than how they're screwed together, so I think that for your extra 10 grand you might as well get the SL, as it's a more well rounded, attractive, stylish (I think the XLR looks like a smushed CTS/Deville mix), and better-performing car.

IDK about your judgement there though, with the Measly 320HP the XLR is still faster than the SL500, and overpriced? the XLR costs a good 15Grand less than the base SL500 with a couple options, and this is a fully loaded XLR. It still needs work I mean when was the last time Caddy had a car this expensive, MB had 50 Years to get it just right, Caddy is just breaking into the market after 70 somewhat years of being absent in the upper luxury market, cut it some slack.

Vansquish
06-03-2004, 09:43 PM
This I understand...it's not a bad car for what it is...a C6 corvette with a less powerful engine, trick top and some different bodywork and interior styling. I never said that it was actually a bad car, it's just not a legitimate competitor for the SL as far as I can tell. If you consider the roots of the car then it's hard for me to see how it isn't overpriced. You can get a C6 for 2/3 of the price fully loaded and it looks better, goes faster and gets better gas mileage to boot (even in automatic trim) The Caddy isn't really worth the money, that's all I was trying to say...if Cadillac manages to iron out their production glitches, improve quality to MB standards, then it might be legit competition for the SL500.

ludwig14
06-22-2004, 02:43 PM
saw on on the 5 freeway here in la and not impressed at all... for the money there are a lot of options

blah
06-22-2004, 04:41 PM
Is this car really trying to compete with the SL55 AMG, or even the new 65 AMG?

JiggaStyles09
06-22-2004, 07:12 PM
i suppose the V-model would be competing with the SL55, not the 65 thats way outta the price/performance range. we would need to see some official specs on hp and price though.

bmagni
06-22-2004, 09:49 PM
hmmmmm, i think its nice, its a hard pick between this one and an sl... i think theyre both great

HeilSvenska
06-29-2004, 11:51 PM

why, it's almost as if you owned both and compared both quite professionally.

RC45
06-30-2004, 01:37 AM

why, it's almost as if you owned both and compared both quite professionally.

Well - spend 18 hours in car doing a cross country run in a car, and you will get to know it's strong and weak points pretty quickly.

Having done that in a 2003 SL500, I pretty much knew what to look for when we took an XLR for a drive.

I tried to find something to like about the XLR, but there was nothing. If it was $25,000 cheaper - it may have been different.

The real treat was watching the trunk first dump the water pooled on top into the car before the roof is retracted. ;)

Quite some engineering feat that eh... ;)

DeMoN
06-30-2004, 02:49 AM
I like how it looks, but I too think the price is not what the car is. There is no way it can bet a German car... if its suposed to go against the Merc SL it may do well on a straight line, but cornering will be a problem.

SilviaEvo
07-05-2004, 10:04 PM
i like the wheels but that is all i like

fabro_s
07-06-2004, 01:58 AM
I was waiting for this Cadi!!!, its going to be a hell crazy Cadillac, supercharged engine, cruising with the roof down on a sunday afternoon!!!!!!!!!! :D :D