PDA

View Full Version : Spyware

hemi_fan
05-31-2004, 05:57 PM
Anyone know how I can get rid of spyware?? Whenever I close IE, I get like 10 pop-ups and its annoying as hell.

TT
05-31-2004, 05:59 PM
Ad-aware?

Sachmo12345
05-31-2004, 06:34 PM
ive got Webroot Spy Sweeper, ad aware, and spybot those keep my comp pretty clean

nthfinity
06-01-2004, 02:57 AM
ad aware, and spybot

those two, in conjuntion with norton corperate edition... run about once every 2 weeks, unless you have a problem

isnt spy sweeper the one that spybot is sueing?

geekdiggy
06-01-2004, 03:43 AM
ad-aware: http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10186632.html?tag=lst-0-1
spybot search and destroy: http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

dingo
06-01-2004, 03:55 AM
I don't use IE6 because its a piece of shit browser, I go with Opera 7.5 instead. Its faster and you can block pop-ups.

gigdy
06-01-2004, 04:28 AM
I don't use IE6 because its a piece of shit browser, I go with Opera 7.5 instead. Its faster and you can block pop-ups.

awesome, because that prevents and removes spyware.

dingo
06-01-2004, 04:42 AM
^ People in here are so bitchy and eager to start arguments. I know it doesn't stop spyware but I was just making a general comment.

Sachmo12345
06-01-2004, 11:13 AM
theres no room for general comments in here

peacenriot69
06-01-2004, 12:15 PM
The best and only way i know to get rid of spyware is to run a search for a program called SPYBOT search and destroy. This program not only protects you from spyware but it locates destroys and immunize's against future infection. Spy ware is not a virus but it can make you more vulnerable to viruses cause it creates an open port on your machine. Every now and then check your task manager to make sure there isnt anything running that shouldnt be running. if you dont recognize any .exe file run a search for it on google.com usually there will be some kind of tech forum that has already solved the problem. if you have any qyuestions or problems feel free to personal message me or email me or whatever and i can see if i can find the link and ill post or email it to you im leaving for NY in 15 minutes so i may not be able to beback for a couple days but run the search im sure you will find it , if not call microsoft tech support and they will be able to get it for you , just be prepared to wait a long long time. :D

peacenriot69
06-01-2004, 12:17 PM
Heres a link i found for it but i gotta get going hope it works for ya

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22262,00.asp
:P

RC45
06-01-2004, 01:11 PM
^ People in here are so bitchy and eager to start arguments. I know it doesn't stop spyware but I was just making a general comment.

ANd your general comment was not a can of gasoline to start a conflict how? ;)

igeorge
06-01-2004, 01:33 PM

because it was right on the money.. IE sucks donkey balls, as it isn't even standards compliant in the way it inteprets html, has no built in way blocking popups (which is often a way of putting spyware into your computer) etc etc etc etc

DeMoN
06-01-2004, 02:23 PM
The combination I use which yields to only 2 spyware getting in per month is having spybot search and destroy and Spysweeper. Spysweeper is constantly on. It stays on your taskbar (if you choose to have it protect you all the time) and it blocks spyware when it wants to get in. I am not a fan of having icons on my taskbar, but some programs, like this, deserve it. With this combination of two programs, I have no problem with spyware. Spysweeper is not free though =( but it is a great program and you can update definitions just like if it was an antivirus. I encourage all you guys to give it a try.

dingo
06-02-2004, 02:32 AM

Read what Dan\ /6 wrote......he answered for me.

Sachmo12345
06-02-2004, 04:10 PM
but some of those programs can fuck up your comp cus ive had it before that they will delete a system file

DTM8
06-02-2004, 05:28 PM
hemi_fan, i've recently had the same problem. Yes, its annoying..

If you are still having problems, download HijackThis 1.97.7 here (small program):

http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

once you download it, save a log file of it by copying it onto notepad. Either post your log file or PM it to me so I could further assist you.

FoxFour
06-06-2004, 07:23 PM
The next Service Pack for XP is coming out very soon. From what I have heard from computer techs that saw a demo of it at Vegas a few weeks ago, Microsoft has finally patched up all of the holes in the programming. Some of the new features includes a built in pop up stopper and to prevent Spyware installing on your computer, every time a new program starts to install itself and run, XP advises you and asks if it's ok. Outlook has been revamped as well to reduce spam.

RC45
06-06-2004, 10:56 PM

Read what Dan\ /6 wrote......he answered for me.

The browser wars are about the most pointless exercise in the universe... so to each their own...