PDA

View Full Version : LS2's all around

nthfinity
05-13-2004, 01:38 PM
Word is spreading around the internet that a dealer briefing took place this week in which GM shared the first official details of this new SSR. The basics are that the 2005 SSR will have an all aluminum 6.0 Liter LS2 V8, a new six speed manual, an upgraded 4L65E transmission, new bluish-purple hue changing paint color, upgraded rear end, and other detail bits. The new SSR is reported to be capable of low 5 second 0-60 sprints and sub 14 second quarter-mile passes. These upgrades had been planned from the beginning, as the SSR is Chevrolet’s halo truck.

Also to clarify things, this is the second version of the LS2 rumored by many sources. To be honest, in simplest terms the LS2 (both versions) is nothing more than an aluminum evolution of the LQ9 iron engine in the Silverado SS with Gen IV upgrades. This means that while the iron 6.0L will continue in the various truck apps, all performance versions will have the aluminum 6.0L block and be referred to as LS2 (a nice marketing ploy). LS2 Version 2.0 will likely be rated in the neighborhood of 380-390 HP with more tuning towards TQ. It is designed to be used in both car and truck applications and is can pretty much fit anywhere the 5.7L block can. This two pronged approach shadows GM's treatment of the LS1 when they had the 350 HP Corvette LS1, and the "slightly detuned" F-body LS1, only now they are sharing 6.0L with truck applications and further spreading development costs. The LS2 will next year be the top engine in the C6, so in my opinion, I would not expect the SSR or any other LS2 powered vehicle to carry a 400 HP "rating". Expect to see this new LS2 in the Trailblazer SS (the SSR is a Trailblazer, so this obvious), Silverado SS Shortbox, and........(sit down).....possibly the high performance GTO. Eventually the 5.3 Liter and 6.0 Liter Gen IV engines will replace the 5.7 Liter in all applications.

i think this may be the wise move from GM we've been waiting for... time will tell

graywolf624
05-13-2004, 01:50 PM
Can we please stop channeling gminsidenews.com

RC45
05-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Why? As long as the source is credited - no harm done.

graywolf624
05-13-2004, 02:03 PM
"As long as the source is credited - no harm done."

That is only somewhat credited.. He posts alot of rumours and has only a few connections. (I met the owner at a camaro meet last year. )
If I wanted to read his rumours I'd go to gminside news, not here.

I have more then a few examples of him being wrong.

I'd prefer we come up with our own content, not see 4 threads in the recent thread list from this morning directly copying another forum.

RC45
05-13-2004, 02:14 PM
Well - since I don't visit "the other forum" - I rather enjoy it... ;)

nthfinity
05-13-2004, 02:38 PM
Well - since I don't visit "the other forum" - I rather enjoy it...

which is why i posted this...

and it says its just roumor. i will however come close to confirming the use of the LS2 in the SSR, as i have spoken with a few GM engineers over the last year or so who have said they were going to put a 'much more powerful' 8 in it.

Vansquish
05-13-2004, 02:43 PM
I suppose I should invite some criticism too...what with my "rumors of the Vantage Vanquish" and other inside Ford news. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there isn't anything particularly wrong with posting it on here, many of us don't know about or go to many of the sites from which JW members post news and rumors...if you don't like reading it, then don't, it's not a big deal to hit the "back" button.

nthfinity
05-13-2004, 02:49 PM
That is only somewhat credited

also, im sorry i didnt know the source of the quote.... it was actually quoted without credits on another forum i visit a bit... i gave as much as i knew :?

Garretts_turbo
05-19-2004, 12:00 AM
back to the issue, its a good thing for the SSR which only holds the "nice cruiser" title at the moment. certainly no slouch, but there are bigger/better plans for it ^ ^ ^ :twisted: